420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
A subject is required when posting a new thread
Subject
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

penis pump

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread

Now Playing on /1701/tube -

REMOVE HASPERAT by Morn - Wed, 12 Feb 2014 16:52:10 EST ID:aL4bqBrq No.42882 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1392241930910.png -(481869B / 470.58KB, 833x635) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 481869
REMOVE HASPERAT remove hasperat
you are worst bajoran. you are the bajoran idiot you are the bajoran smell. return to federation. to our dominion cousins you may come our contry. you may live in the zoo….ahahahaha ,bajor we will never forgeve you. resistance rascal FUck but fuck asshole bajoran stink prophet sqhipere shqipare..bajoran genocide best day of my life. take a bath of dead kai..ahahahahahBAJOR WE WILL GET YOU!! do not forget occupation. bajor we kill the first minister , federation return to your precious terok nor….hahahahaha idiot bajoran and federation smell so bad..wow i can smell it. REMOVE HASPERAT FROM THE PREMISES. you will get caught. cardassia+dominion+pah wraiths=kill bajor…you will occupation/ gul dukat alive in cardassia gul dukat making album of cardassia . fast rap gul dukat cardassia. we are rich and have latinum now hahahaha ha because of gul dukat… you are ppoor stink bajoran… you live in a hovel hahahaha, you live in a yurt

gul dukat alive numbr one #1 in cardassia ….fuck dominin ,..FUCKk ashol bajorans no good i spit in the mouth eye of ur flag and planet. gul dukat aliv and real strong wizard kill all the bajoran farm aminal with pah wraith magic now we the cardassian rule .ape of the zoo presidant jarseh-inyo fukc the great satan and lay egg this egg hatch and bajor wa;s born. stupid baby form the eggn give bak our clay we will crush u lik a skull of vole. cardassia greattst empire
91 posts and 23 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
Nurse Alyssa Ogawa - Fri, 13 Jan 2017 13:19:32 EST ID:UKKS3Tki No.57653 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57651
Oh yeah, he does run a restaurant so yeah I guess so. I suspect any of the Siskos can handle themselves in a kitchen.
>>
Krax - Fri, 13 Jan 2017 18:53:18 EST ID:/M7y7o2O No.57655 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57653
jake doesn't know how to do shit besides press a replicator button or yell at his granpappy and dad to make him food

fucking writers
>>
Lore - Fri, 13 Jan 2017 19:49:58 EST ID:nOeQUDSk No.57656 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57655

At least he doesn't need females to chew his food for him like Nog!
>>
Valkris - Fri, 13 Jan 2017 21:18:26 EST ID:/M7y7o2O No.57657 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57656
Nog doesn't NEED females to chew his food for him, he GETS females to chew his food for him

Nog was a fucking pimp son, while Jake was crying his dignity out wasting his lifes dream on writing Weyoun approved spacepaper articles Nog was chilling in bed doing some bumps of beetle snuff while Kira and Dax(the good one) were spitting up the chewed remains of replicator entree 103 right onto those pointy smiling teeth
>>
Lore - Sat, 14 Jan 2017 07:49:19 EST ID:nOeQUDSk No.57659 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1484398159743.jpg -(81358B / 79.45KB, 694x530) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>57657

>while Kira and Dax(the good one) were spitting up the chewed remains of replicator entree 103 right onto those pointy smiling teeth

mmmm

Holographic Immortality by Lt. Daniels - Tue, 27 Dec 2016 05:17:50 EST ID:sQLio0UG No.57492 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1482833870781.jpg -(40270B / 39.33KB, 500x375) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 40270
Would the Doctor as a deathless hologram eventually decide to terminate himself?

He will by default outlive everyone he'll ever meet, see countless centuries pass by.
14 posts and 3 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
Jack - Fri, 06 Jan 2017 11:28:18 EST ID:MUJ4M6tq No.57593 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1483720098155.jpg -(110212B / 107.63KB, 900x300) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>57587
>it really makes you wonder what historians will think of our civilization in 700 years time
>>
Azan - Fri, 06 Jan 2017 21:47:59 EST ID:NUbxvEoE No.57600 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57589
The backup in Living Witness is a classic example of Voyager inconsistent writing. Though it's one of the better episodes of all of Trek, IMO.
>>
Lorian - Tue, 10 Jan 2017 02:33:13 EST ID:zsuUhNCG No.57628 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57591
I like this. If the doctor took enough time to learn how to reprogram his own subroutines he could become literally anything. He's different from solids and other genetic creatures in that his code was literally meant to be interfaced with and modified by an intelligence, so it's probably much easier for him to modify himself and for it to have a predictable outcome than it is for a humanoid to modify themselves.

He could become an omniscient, holographic god given enough memory to store his shit on. He'd just have to move past his own originally programmed biases.
>>
Data - Tue, 10 Jan 2017 07:34:08 EST ID:N1v2Vs8N No.57629 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57628
thats starting to happen in one of the Myirad Universes stories, after he gets intergrated into a medical archive and becomes everyones doctor
>>
Guinan - Tue, 10 Jan 2017 21:29:14 EST ID:RHNGWoY0 No.57633 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57628
How fucking sick would it be if we got a series where the Backup Doctor returns to the alpha quadrant to find that in this universe (due to the interference of future Janeway) things turned out differently than in the universes glimpsed from travelers through time.. let's say he returns instead to find his former self in such a godlike form, having interfaced entirely with the planet Bynar and its people. Basically it'll be Bob Picardo as both hero and villain in an alpha quadrant 700 years further into a dystopian future where backup Doctor has to instill federation values in a ragtag group of rebel freedom fighters on a hyperfuturistic starship

Or alternatively, we could have a continuation of the story of the alpha and beta quadrants in the years where the future part of all good things is supposed to happen.. all kinds of old characters could pop in from any of the three TNG era series for cameos and old storylines could finally get closure.. we could see a Romulan Empire crippled by a supernova destroying its home system being conquered by the Klingons, Bajor rising to be a major threat to the alpha quadrant and starting a crusade against the Federation, hints from the Gamma quadrant that Odo's return has had unexpected consequences, and the story of Garak working to rebuild the Cardassian Empire as a Republic , which comes to befriend the Federation

OR we could have had an exploration of the Enterprise B and C, watching the war between Cardassia and the Federation, seeing a young O'Brien and a young Picard face peril and adventure, bridging the era of the TOS movies and the early days of TNG and fleshing out the background left unseen..

Oh well

50 years of Star Trek by Chairman Koval - Thu, 08 Sep 2016 16:27:43 EST ID:EXdCEhpg No.56106 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1473366463801.jpg -(364472B / 355.93KB, 792x1178) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 364472
Today is the 50th year anniversary of when the TOS episode 'The Man Trap' first aired. It all began when a womanizing alcoholic had an idea that turned into a global sensation.
35 posts and 9 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
Kang - Wed, 04 Jan 2017 23:00:19 EST ID:rKPlmQHv No.57577 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57575

When I first started going into watching Voyager, I was expecting to hate Janeway from what I read, but I really like her. The issue is definitely more with the writers being shit with everything, just not one character in particular.
>>
Erika Benteen - Thu, 05 Jan 2017 07:05:15 EST ID:2CjFaDB+ No.57578 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57575
Well, I don't like Mulgrew. I don't like her portrayal of the character. That's just personal, but it doesn't change my opinion. I mean, I can recognize that Brooks and Shatner are really chewing the scenery at times, but I still like them. I don't think Mulgrew has a lot of range, from the only other big role I've seen her in.

>I hear this way more from her haters than I do from people who like her as a character. (As in arguing against the straw man SJW). The show certainly didn't do this outside of times it would be important the character's gender is involved, which is perfectly fine.

That's just personal experience. I don't exactly search out these opinions, and this goes back through years of being a Trek fan, but there have been a *lot* of people that I've seen in online that specifically mention her gender as a positive. I've *also* seen a *lot* of people who mention Jeri Ryan's tits as a positive character trait. I'm not putting words in their mouths, though (that is, strawmanning). I'm just saying that there are a lot of people who cut the character slack because of her gender, from what I've seen. And I can sort of get it, because Janeway *is* a no-nonsense female captain. Honestly, that's the sort of character I tend to really like, and one Trek kind of needed, so maybe that's why I'm so hard on Janeway. Nothing is so frustrating as having what you want dangled in front of you, and having it snatched away.

Of course you're right that it's the writing. But I don't see a difference between the writing and the character. There's no perfect, untouched Janeway out there, just the one we got. I watch those SFDebris revies, too, and it's interesting how VOY fell apart. Like I said, I think a big problem is that it's Trek written by committee. I do credit them when they do it right, and I still like to watch VOY, but Janeway is simply one of the big negatives for me, because of how prevalent the bad writing is in connection to her. It's not all about the calls she makes, for instance, but also about how she's inserted into every plot as a main character, to the point where …
Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
>>
Rionoj - Fri, 06 Jan 2017 21:39:22 EST ID:UKKS3Tki No.57599 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57578
>This sort of focus-group writing is also prevalent with the universally loathed Neelix.
You've just answered a question that I've been babbling about for ages. That is why Neelix is sometimes a bumbling retard and sometimes a competent crafty and seasoned traveler with a soft side who plays it up/pretends to be a bumbling retard as one of his most dangerous tricks.
>>
Therm0ptic !cyBOrG7t12 - Sun, 08 Jan 2017 13:01:03 EST ID:yEQ1J5RE No.57615 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57599
Oh shit, is that why he has similar mannerisms with Columbo?
>>
Guinan - Sun, 08 Jan 2017 20:38:24 EST ID:RHNGWoY0 No.57619 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57615
Holy fuck you just blew my mind.. I never really noticed since he looks like some kinda fishcattratt, but now that you mention it..

STAR TREK 4 EVA by Captain Kurn - Mon, 12 Dec 2016 04:33:39 EST ID:Z7NLaDXl No.57292 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1481535219340.png -(234209B / 228.72KB, 480x360) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 234209
DICKS EVERYWHERE
10 posts and 4 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
Boq'ta - Fri, 30 Dec 2016 04:26:51 EST ID:UKKS3Tki No.57524 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57522
>whatever the fuck it is we do on this board.
Debate the future of society and technology and abuse Worf mostly.
>>
Kimara Cretak - Fri, 30 Dec 2016 05:13:06 EST ID:2CjFaDB+ No.57525 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57524
You are without honor!
>>
Boq'ta - Fri, 30 Dec 2016 14:15:50 EST ID:UKKS3Tki No.57530 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57525

But at least I didn't spend 7 years being thrown across the bridge of the federation's flagship. Repeatedly refuse to lead the klingon empire so some boggle eyed power hungry fuck can make all the wrong decisions. But I can't blame him for being intimidated by Sisko, that guy punched Q.
>>
Lt. JG Nog - Fri, 30 Dec 2016 16:30:38 EST ID:L3E9v1HE No.57531 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57530
You know when I was first watching deep space 9 and voyager i kept hoping and hoping that there was more q. I'd kill for a q collective focused movie. Feels like there's still so much more you could do with them. Hell john de lance looks like can still do the role.
>>
Tavek - Fri, 30 Dec 2016 18:35:36 EST ID:oEbW8QcV No.57532 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57530
There really should have been a scene with Worf after he joined DS9 where someone mentions the Q incident.

All the Other Earths by Leeta - Wed, 21 Dec 2016 00:31:00 EST ID:+5hgZe3l No.57417 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1482298260624.jpg -(271921B / 265.55KB, 1436x1080) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 271921
So I was thinking about just how ridiculously many other earths/earth-humans we learn there are in TOS. Not even counting people who merely look exactly like humans, in the relatively near part of our galaxy there is:
>Earth 2: A planet that has the exact same surface geography as Earth, plus a bunch o' crazy kids ("Miri")
>892-IV: A planet with the same water/land ratio as Earth that has developed so identically as to have an identical English language, which is the dominant language despite the planet being full of a bunch o' crazy Romans ("Bread and Circuses")
>Omega IV: A planet that mimicked ours so exactly, that it developed a cold war between the USA and Russia thousands of years before the ones on the original Earth did, so much so that the English language and the word choice in the Declaration of Independence are exactly identical. Proceeded to fuck each other in the ass until they all died. Technically, we are a copy of them, not the other way around. ("The Omega Glory")

Runner-ups:
>Ekos: A planet with a human like species manipulated into adopting a Nazi party identical to the one on Earth. ("Patterns of Force")
>Sigma Iotia II: A planet contaminated by a shitty gangster novel into emulating '20s Chicago (and then later the crew of NCC-1701 if the comics are to be believed.) ("A Piece of the Action")
>Amerind: A planet inhabited by genuine Native Americans who actually are from the original earth. ("The Paradise Syndrome")

So my point in bringing this up is, apart from just wanting to circlejerk a lol about how ridiculous this is, (inb4 Hodgkin's Law of Parallel Planetary Development) is to think about the realistic implications this would have for the alpha quadrant by the 24th century. A hundred years after all these worlds were discovered by Kirk et al. wtf are they doing?

Are there Omegans serving in Starfleet in pursuit of 'fre-dum'? Are there Iotians who show up in their cheap suits and demand 'a piece a' the action' while hammering out a deal with some Ferengi? Did somebody actually come and help the Amerind, since after all the Prime Directive doesn't apply to…
Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
4 posts and 2 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
Lt. Diana Giddings - Mon, 26 Dec 2016 23:37:36 EST ID:NuytcwMz No.57486 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57453
>>The same line of reasoning could be applied as to why the Borg are humanoid..
Actually, if you care about what's in the non-canon sources, and there are conflicting origin stories for the Borg in them, but in one of them the Borg actually are descended from humans (Starfleet, no less) who went into the distant past, which is why their name for themselves is based on the english word for 'Cyborg.'
>>
Seska - Wed, 28 Dec 2016 14:20:43 EST ID:zsuUhNCG No.57504 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1482952843648.gif -(51069B / 49.87KB, 248x188) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>57453
>be changeling
>can genetically engineer new races and modify existing ones
>have control over an entire quadrant
>hate solids, don't like being around solids
>so instead of genetically engineering/accelerating the evolution the races that I have control over so that they may become changelings or changeling variants themselves, which is something that I know can be done because my race was once solid and is also something that would be preferable to galactic domination because that way I would be uplifting the galaxy so that it becomes a place I can tolerate, I decide to be a stereotypical comic book villain and enslave the galaxy even though I don't really need to

Changelings piss me off because their philosophy was almost enticing but fucking unravels just so that ds9 could have a villain.
>>
Talok - Wed, 28 Dec 2016 17:55:13 EST ID:KikjBBjU No.57505 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57504
Uhhh, Changlings thought themselves as gods. Why on earth would the want to make MORE of them? It's always been about domination for that. Hell, for all we know the whole "Solids oppressed us" is something they tell themselves to make them feel better about what they do.
>>
Legate Damar - Thu, 29 Dec 2016 12:30:52 EST ID:4k/5xWss No.57516 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57505
While this is true, the changelings live for "the great link" I don't know if "more of them" is applicable when they describe themselves in terms like "the drop becomes the ocean" and "the ocean becomes the drop". Turning everyone into changelings would just mean a bigger link. However they'd still need an external presence to protect and expand without someone chucking a nuke at them or something.

As such I don't think it's "why would they want more?" but that it's simply not practical. The only security would be found in taking over the whole universe and then what if people reject it?

The federation aggressively seeks new friends and will keep expanding to find them. While the dominion already sees the universe as full of infinite threats which must all be neutralised one way or another and keeps expanding for that.
>>
Grand Nagus Zek - Thu, 29 Dec 2016 15:49:30 EST ID:L3E9v1HE No.57517 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57504
Having changelings try and add everyone into their core the great link can't work. It makes them way too much like the borg and sort of assimilating everyone into their core. They still could have had them be an outside faction that didn't just feel a need to fuck everything up though. I agree with that completely.

In fact I'd love a star trek that just focused on diplomatic relations with a small amount of action. Do exploration shows, diplomacy with little bits of action. The war in deep space 9 is cool and all, but I just like the idea of something ongoing that's a little different than that.

>>57486
I get the feeling that there will be no solid answer on the borg for a long long time. Like 20 years or more. I really want a solid answer, the non canon sources are also of relatively little importance to me though.

Trek Death Celebration Thread by Raven Overcoming Orchid !Tz0ULG.7to - Tue, 27 Dec 2016 20:51:00 EST ID:PDoEVFqX No.57497 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1482889860275.png -(586764B / 573.01KB, 1037x786) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 586764
I think it's safe to say, without jinxing anything in any way, that no other Trek actors other than that Anton Yelchin dude will die this year.

So yay to 2016 not being completely terrible by us not losing any actors from any of the Trek series!

But here's a shoutout to everyone else who didn't make it....
>>
Willie Hawkins - Tue, 27 Dec 2016 21:38:14 EST ID:n1StyFZ/ No.57500 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57497
Dude, Anton's death is probably the most tragic death of the year too. Young dude and killed by a fucking faulty piece of shit American car. Not to mention he was one of the bright spots in the Abramsverse. Dude could act too. His best work was still ahead of him.

But otherwise, these artists dying, their work still lives. They are just products for me to consume anyway. I don't know them personally. I'm not going to mourn them any more than they'd mourn me if I died.
>>
Admiral Chekote - Wed, 28 Dec 2016 21:57:27 EST ID:90oFOcqs No.57507 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57500
I didn't even realize who he was when I saw Green Room until I looked it up. Dude seriously was a great up and coming actor that died a tragic death. I'd recommend that movie to anyone, but this board specifically cuz Patrick Stewart kills it as a neo- Nazi leader.

I get what you're saying about artists dying, but I cried myself to sleep when Bowie died. All of his work meant so much to me (watching Labyrinth being the first memory of my life) and the dude came out with an album just days before he died (he turned his death into art but that's another discussion). Prince too, was still producing great work. Yes, I still have the decades of their work that they live through but when there's still more work for them to do, and you lose them, it sucks. It sucks anytime your heroes die.
>>
Grand Nagus Zek - Thu, 29 Dec 2016 02:21:12 EST ID:L3E9v1HE No.57512 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Should''ve waited till january first to make this thread. Feel like this is a bit of a bad omen.

███ by Guinan - Sat, 19 Nov 2016 13:36:02 EST ID:RHNGWoY0 No.57075 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1479580562442.png -(289054B / 282.28KB, 640x480) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 289054
Did you ever hear about these fucking fast radio bursts? I'm pretty sure they're just pic related. We think they come from the farflung ends of the universe because we look and the only things it seems like they're coming from are hella far, but if was some ferengi trade ship by sirius how the fuck would we know?

after all you're not sposda go into high warp inside solar systems

Video is, however, unrelated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGRkn9Ff6iA

I would so own that shit if I was a rich man
12 posts and 3 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
Harry Kim - Sat, 26 Nov 2016 18:50:41 EST ID:fHr+JMyR No.57150 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57147
In those instances, the one who are destroying the tribes are written to be morally in the right or something.
>>
Harry Kim - Sat, 26 Nov 2016 18:51:19 EST ID:fHr+JMyR No.57151 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57150
*aren't written to be morally superior fuck
>>
Malcolm Reed - Fri, 23 Dec 2016 12:00:47 EST ID:5uU+DoWU No.57463 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Regarding the Fermi paradox:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttwl_zH_DZ8

Shows if you account for currently known factors it's simply technologically hard to detect radio broadcasts.
We currently aren't even able to detect radio broadcasts at our own level from any other star.

For a civilization to pick up the TOS series when it first aired it would have to be most likely type II.
Worse currently conceivable ways to detect our radio bubble would require the aliens to directly point the receiver at our solar system. So considering we are talking about fractions of an arc-second the probability of that happening becomes neg-liable.

So the point here: Our galactic neighborhood could be so full of live to the point where every other star system is inhabited and we wouldn't have noticed.
>>
Ambassador Soval - Sat, 24 Dec 2016 02:02:34 EST ID:L3E9v1HE No.57464 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57077
Really strange to start seeing that there might be something out there living in space. The thought always grabbed my imagination, but there are all these strange signs that are so much bigger then the sort of stuff that happened prior to lets say a 100 years ago. I guess huamnity is fairly primitive, otherwise we'd know about how they where getting around even if we couldn't match it entirely.

The way my radio just cut out when I start browsing through those articles of yours and considering space faring speices sailing deep in space, its kind of got me spooked a bit.
>>
Guinan - Tue, 27 Dec 2016 01:17:46 EST ID:RHNGWoY0 No.57489 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1482819466445.jpg -(40894B / 39.94KB, 519x1000) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>57464
THEY KNOW

Rascals Episode 2: Wesley's Revenge by Guinan - Sun, 14 Aug 2016 02:39:11 EST ID:sehZ/Igr No.55667 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1471156751966.jpg -(24485B / 23.91KB, 320x240) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 24485
Guys, it finally happened. 4 years, 2 months, 15 days, 18 hours, 32 minutes and 19 seconds after it was first created, the rascals thread has sunk into the dark abyss where only netjester can roam.

RIP in peace creepy thread.
59 posts and 23 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
Kotan Pa'Dar - Thu, 03 Nov 2016 02:39:19 EST ID:YNWz1Xqf No.56906 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>56898
Yeah the fact that they're calling it DNA means there's a lot in common. RNA is very similar and still rates a new name. Interbreeding implies a lot more similarity. More similarity than really old aliens spraying DNA all over the universe implies. We'd have a lot more dogfuckers with human-dog hybrid babies walking around if being able to interbreed was as easy as sharing DNA from a billion years ago. Dogs and humans even share a common ancestor.

DNA definitely implies use of basic aminos. You can turn a DNA sequence in to a string of amino acids on paper. There's a certain code for terminating the string even. A unique string of amino acids implies a unique protein. So on paper you can go from DNA code to protein. Figuring out how those proteins behave and interact is way more complicated and the subject of a fuck ton of current research.

In one of Dawkin's books he says that DNA couldn't have been the first self replicating molecule. I forget his exact explanation. Basically it couldn't bootstrap itself. It relies on other stuff for replicating. It's like you know modern processors aren't the first computers because it took another computer to design a chip with >100 million transistors. It takes a cell to replicate DNA and produce proteins from it. It takes DNA to make current cells. Somewhere back in time this dependency chain has to break. Which implies something besides DNA is possible. More than one implies more than two is way more likely than exactly 2.

If you find this interesting enough to read about it check out Dawkin's books, at least the ones not focusing on religion. Before he got on the religion soap box he was a researcher in statistical genetics and does a good job at explaining the research in a way that someone with a high school level understanding of biology can understand without dumbing it down. His audio books were available in a torrent on the pirate bay last time I checked.
>>
Tom Paris - Sun, 06 Nov 2016 05:57:41 EST ID:vaPOI6HO No.56946 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>56900
Yeah I forgot about that. They actually covered that DNA was put there.

>>56906
I think life also started quite a few times without DNA and died out before it started without DNA and then developed DNA. I think the aliens putting DNA there implies they probably did more than just let processes run wild, they guided it to ensure quite a few in form and capabilities. Also interbreeding still required medical intervention.

Back in the real world you make a good point. However we know DNA isn't the first self replicating molecule, not just of this run of life, but several runs before which failed but did exist before life finally took long enough to get complicated.

Someone actually made me read the god delusion. The first half is the same point 5 times over. The second half he gets off track and actually it's pretty good. Stuff like universal inbuilt morality and shit. But yeah I mean most people can't even hold in their head that he defined the concept of "meme" and what it means so most don't realise he's also a very credible biologist.
>>
Minister Kuvak - Sun, 06 Nov 2016 06:02:36 EST ID:+5hgZe3l No.56947 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>56946
What you just said made me realize the very sad reality that there's probably someone out there who heard Dawkins invented the meme and thinks that means he came up with image macros...
>>
Ambassador Thoris - Wed, 07 Dec 2016 13:40:31 EST ID:RxQ4CZd2 No.57237 Ignore Report Quick Reply
This episode was on BBC America today.
>>
Willie Hawkins - Sun, 25 Dec 2016 21:27:38 EST ID:nXVK90Q7 No.57480 Ignore Report Quick Reply
It's Christmas Day, and Rascals is playing right now on H&I, a local analogue channel in Florida.

For the Love of Spock by Pavel Chekov - Sat, 23 Jul 2016 19:09:09 EST ID:N+RlYH+s No.55301 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1469315349076.png -(760029B / 742.22KB, 1250x618) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 760029
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZcIWWjLVZ8

Pretty stoked for this.
16 posts and 5 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
Stonn - Thu, 22 Dec 2016 08:05:40 EST ID:J3LWDK5j No.57452 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57421
You should be able to make it. Just have something to bite down on maybe.
>>
Minuet - Fri, 23 Dec 2016 09:04:05 EST ID:Z1BeFVBN No.57460 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57421
What's TBBT and why is there so much pretension surrounding it? Why was JJ in the film?
>>
Admiral Cartwright - Sat, 24 Dec 2016 02:16:25 EST ID:zdJLz8PT No.57465 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57460

TBBT stands for "The Big Bang Theory", which many nerds hate because they consider it to be profiting off of exploiting nerd experiences while ostensibly claiming to be created by fellow nerds.

In order to demonstrate their true nerdness, nerds will then, instead of ignoring it, annoyingly turn their volume up to 11 so that we all know to know how much they hate the show and thus increase their own reputation as an authentic nerd, since no real nerd would enjoy this exploitative franchise. Similar to how high school kids will rant about how much they hate the current pop star to show how much of an independent thinker they are.
>>
Senator Vreenak - Sat, 24 Dec 2016 09:01:22 EST ID:rbIadFk0 No.57470 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57465

>nerds will then, instead of ignoring it, annoyingly turn their volume up to 11

First - You are posting on a star trek board and talking shit on "nerds".

Second - Modern popular culture is trash. Stop defending it.
>>
Mobara - Sat, 24 Dec 2016 14:51:18 EST ID:tCeGH3tc No.57473 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57465
Everyone signals virtue, we all have pride, and Sheldon is easy to hate. Let's just post some trek ok?

Guys I've done it. by Vice Admiral Leyton - Mon, 03 Oct 2016 21:16:20 EST ID:5aCbAqEw No.56516 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1475543780442.jpg -(245676B / 239.92KB, 1280x878) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 245676
I've watch every single ep and movie of star trek not counting the Nu-movies
in order of stardate. It took nearly a year of marathon style watching. As I type this the end credits to nemesis are rolling.

It's been some kind of journey. I'm tired now.
56 posts and 7 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
Senator Tal'aura - Mon, 19 Dec 2016 18:36:46 EST ID:zsuUhNCG No.57401 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57399
Basically I think keeping Winn in the dark was a deliberate act by the prophets.
>>
Lonzo - Tue, 20 Dec 2016 14:46:18 EST ID:HjMsIHnO No.57412 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57399
I guess that's another interpretation. It's definitely hard to call. Though actually thinking about the wormhole aliens nature more it gets even more complex.

I think the thing that makes it go from grey to colours our eyes can't perceive is that the prophets don't perceive linear time. So does that mean they always knew Wynn would do what she did? To them was this just a thing that Wynn does rather than something she would or had or could do?
>>
Colonel Lovok - Tue, 20 Dec 2016 15:18:20 EST ID:KikjBBjU No.57413 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57412
>So does that mean they always knew Wynn would do what she did?

Its sort of like Predestination without the paradox. The Prophets saw that Wynn was unfaithful and untrustworthy, so they rejected her, which led to losing all faith and trust in the Prophets, which the Prophets saw that Wynn... and so on and so on.
>>
B'Etor - Sat, 24 Dec 2016 02:55:49 EST ID:zsuUhNCG No.57467 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57412
Well, the prophets are extra-temporal, so they could have easily changed "what Winn does" because that is exactly what time does to people who are forced to obey it. But they chose not to, despite the fact that they had an easy in to change her faith to their side (her undying, until a point, rank-and-file loyalty), which means they must have had some motive behind choosing not to.
>>
Koss - Sat, 24 Dec 2016 05:23:46 EST ID:HjMsIHnO No.57468 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57467
See I don't think she was ever really a believer in the prophets. I think she believed in the religious institution, the vedek assembly and not the prophets. Once they started proving themselves she still still put the institution above the so called deities it worshipped. They chose the emissary but she always thought she knew better. Doesn't sound like undying faith to me.

I think that sort of thing isn't unique to space villains, there's a lot of it on earth now.

Fan Projects by Mobara - Wed, 21 Dec 2016 21:32:51 EST ID:Mo/cULC+ No.57445 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1482373971451.jpg -(248573B / 242.75KB, 600x600) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 248573
What are your favorite Star Trek fan projects?

I've only listened to one episode of the audio drama Star Trek: Excelsior so far (s04e02: "Guards! GET THEM!") but I'm digging it so far, even though the voice acting is somewhat cheesy at times.
>>
Commander Tebok - Wed, 21 Dec 2016 21:44:08 EST ID:G+Q9PqR6 No.57447 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57445
Maybe not quite what you're thinking, but the TNG Recuts by *military rank* Grin are simply amazing material. It's a mirror universe TNG series where the crew is seemingly self aware of their own plot armor.

This episode is fucking brilliance on an unprecedented level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJgQYpuTQhE
>>
Borg Queen - Thu, 22 Dec 2016 15:30:51 EST ID:HjMsIHnO No.57457 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57447
Also the crew are all monstrously evil (though they pale next to Picard). Deana tells anyone with a problem that if they can't cut it she knows a freighter and Data often callously laughs at everyone's misfortune.
>>
Koss - Sat, 24 Dec 2016 08:07:55 EST ID:HjMsIHnO No.57469 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57457
*transport ship
>>
Koss - Sat, 24 Dec 2016 09:48:59 EST ID:HjMsIHnO No.57471 Ignore Report Quick Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugQiLYLqajE

This is a good example of an episode. Homm has a drinking problem.

Pineapple! That's my favorite. How on Earth did you know? :D by Lt. JG Nog - Thu, 15 Dec 2016 07:22:15 EST ID:siczhJsP No.57338 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1481804535458.jpg -(26308B / 25.69KB, 700x404) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 26308
Malcolm Reed discussion.
He is a pretty understated character. Obviously he's kinda anti-social. He even comes off as possibly gay considering the way that he seems to have no interest in the opposite sex. But he's a genius when it comes to his station and he's pretty good under pressure and at coming up with quick solutions like in this episode (Silent Enemy) where him and Trip basically pulled 2 phase cannons out of their asses in 2 days.
Is Reed a good character or is he just boring. I think it's safe to say that he's definitely not just boring and generic (like Mayweather), my opinion is that it's just his kind of personality that doesn't make for him being extremely compelling or a good center of attention for an episode.
Also, who are your favorite characters from ENT?
>>
Seska - Thu, 15 Dec 2016 08:49:24 EST ID:bkt5Kr1U No.57339 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Phlox, Porthos.
>>
Weyoun 5 - Thu, 15 Dec 2016 11:59:29 EST ID:2CjFaDB+ No.57343 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57338
I get the impression that Reed has slowly become accepted because he's not an idiot, and he doesn't have any grating character flaws. In a decent series, he would be considered a bad character. Then again, in a decent series, he would have been a new O'Brien, and not just Malcolm Reed.
>>
Captain Kargan - Thu, 15 Dec 2016 19:54:57 EST ID:+5hgZe3l No.57349 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Reed is awesome, he's so great because he is the total opposite of your average Trek character. Instead of being loud, charismatic, and full of himself (i.e. an Ameribro in fact or in style like most of the human crewmembers) he is quiet, thoughtful, fastidious and just likes to do a good job and follow the rules (i.e. a genuine Eurobro.)
The fact that he doesn't jump in your face and is unassuming while also being very competent at his job really makes me enjoy what little screen time he does get.
He would be my top pick for a starfleet security chief (Odo is probably a better security officer, but I'll never trust that shifty shapeshifter.)
>>
Tal Celes - Thu, 15 Dec 2016 20:04:17 EST ID:CHCnx9IP No.57351 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57338
Shran, and maybe Archer himself.
The whole show gets a bad rap.
It's mainly because autismal trekkies that have permanent nostalgiaboners for TNG simply can't handle it, and never give it a chance.
Archer starts out pretty much having no idea what he's doing, but trying hard anyway. This is often interpreted as Bakula being a bad actor, or the script being bad.
It's actual character development.
This is probably the hardest show to choose best characters for, because they change so much.
TNG, all the characters remain exactly the same, until maybe the movies.
Enterprise, you have Archer as a pilot trying hard to be a diplomat and explorer, doing a job literally no man had done before-- he goes through major changes throughout the show, and by the end, he's a True Captain.
Similarly, Hoshi starts out a whimpering wuss, but ends up being one of the strongest realest niggas on the show, see her part in the Xindi arc.
Reed actually loosens up over time, and turns useless paranoia and stiffness into real tactical security knowhow.
The only characters that really suck are Trip, because he only becomes more and more of a pussy over time, and Mayweather, because they spend so many episodes trying to make him grow, but just never pull the trigger. Mainly you end up remembering he has like three episodes where he breaks his fucking leg.

I really like Soval, because he also grows vastly and goes from an intransigent bigot into respect for humanity and into a more flexible and brave character, befitting the cultural reaction to the infiltration of Vulcan by the Romulan fascists.

<<Last Pages Next>>
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.