420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread

Now Playing on /1701/tube -

Thanks Star Trek by I.G. Tarah - Mon, 13 Mar 2017 08:40:17 EST ID:JE8n9rce No.58281 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1489408817368.jpg -(129694B / 126.65KB, 615x693) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 129694
Due to spending too much time on the internet on political debates or talking about social justice for the longest time my entire outlook on life was fucked up, only in black and white. After watching a lot of Star Trek over the past few months, I feel like I'm not really weird for thinking that there's hope.

I mean yeah we probably won't ever have starships or anything like that, but it's really the fact that there is something out there that says that humanity has good instead of everyone and their mother saying that humanity sucks and will kill themselves, regardless of whether it's true or they're just saying it so senpai can notice them and have sex with them.

Maybe it was because it was a different era but I dunno I guess I'm just tired of seeing pessimism everywhere and shit. I'm not saying we should vomit rainbows 24/7 but we shouldn't be vomitting shit 24/7 either.

I don't know what else to say but thanks Roddenberry for creating this magnificent franchise.
>>
Chakotay - Mon, 13 Mar 2017 09:04:18 EST ID:dV0i2NZn No.58282 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>58281

TOS: what would it be like if humans solved basic problems and had to deal with more complex issues.

TNG: what would it be like if almost all human problems were tied up, nothing left to do but explore and do space drugs, meet people, argue with Romulans

DS9: what would it be like if we forgot all that stuff about solving our problems, and had a frontier town on the edge of space instead? Serial killers could be common again.

VOY: Do you like dogs, Mr. Paris?

ENT: AMERICA, FUCK YEAH
>>
Admiral Chekote - Mon, 13 Mar 2017 17:00:00 EST ID:NsYbbNZU No.58284 Ignore Report Quick Reply
You're not wrong on almost all counts OP. The world has gone to shit, everyone is pessimistic as fuck nowadays (with good cause) and Star Trek is one of the only media franchises ever to take a deliberately and decidedly optimistic stance.

I think it's also true though that human societies always get better, and the current pessimism is the result of a kind of historical optical illusion. So I also think Trek is right ethically in the values it promotes and also correct factually in that history does follow this generally improving trend thanks to technology, so I do think we will have starships eventually (whether or not they will go at warp speed is, as they say, in the stars) since if we don't come up with them eventually we will go extinct, and we're a tenacious bunch.

Here's hoping ST can keep the light of hope alive for future generations and inspire our peers to not be such nihilistic edgelords.
>>
Ba'el - Mon, 13 Mar 2017 22:38:15 EST ID:/M7y7o2O No.58288 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>58281
is the black one supposed to be checkov or sulu?
>>
T'Pol - Mon, 13 Mar 2017 22:57:58 EST ID:NQYwnkki No.58289 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>58288
clearly sulu, chekov would be in some action pose
>>
Subcommander Velal - Tue, 14 Mar 2017 17:40:42 EST ID:NsYbbNZU No.58300 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1489527642187.gif -(1334093B / 1.27MB, 400x225) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>58288
Definitely Sulu, since the cats also have the same kind of facial features as the characters:
Kirk: Golden god even features pure American cat
Spock: Refined, sharp, angled features, god-tier ears
McCoy: Old, gruzzled, round faced and rough around the edges
Scott: A blobby scottish pile
Sulu: Sharp, dignified, angular features cat, rather than what would be our Chekov cat, pic related (but with black hair)
>>
Dexter Remmick - Thu, 16 Mar 2017 10:34:01 EST ID:JE8n9rce No.58334 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Is there any other series out there that has an optimistic outlook on humanity like Star Trek? It doesn't have to be sci-fi either.
>>
Lysia Arlin - Thu, 16 Mar 2017 10:35:34 EST ID:Iv0NusqN No.58335 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>58300
Excellent work captain
>>
Admiral Cartwright - Thu, 16 Mar 2017 13:05:15 EST ID:0JMozmZI No.58336 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>58334

MacGyver.
>>
Dexter Remmick - Thu, 16 Mar 2017 13:59:42 EST ID:JE8n9rce No.58337 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>58336
Oh yeah, I recall the original being a bit optimistic, dunno if the remake is the same in that regard tried watching an episode of that and it was kinda bleh. Knight Rider as well to a certain extent, or maybe it was the cheese.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.