420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread

Now Playing on /1701/tube -

Dat gap by Dr. Reyga - Wed, 04 Oct 2017 13:15:08 EST ID:nuPPHgen No.61395 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1507137308862.jpg -(96312B / 94.05KB, 777x437) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 96312
OK, just WTF is up with the weird gap in Discovery's saucer section?

Whomever designed this ship must have been high on space weed, because that is just some wasted space there. Plus, you have only 4 access points to like 1/5th of the ship. I know that Trek canon makes for some boring Federation vehicles (nacelles, and a saucer section can only go so far,) but this seems weird and silly.
>>
Private W Woods - Wed, 04 Oct 2017 14:13:28 EST ID:tMlmSe54 No.61398 Ignore Report Quick Reply
That shot is sexy AF though.

in-universe potential reasons:
More windows? This thing was produced before the war after all.
Chokepoints against boarding? Because this thing wasn't produced before the war?
Starfleet felt that Klingons were at an unfair disadvantage with all of their bridges attached to long and vulnerable neck sections and felt it might even the odds if we gave them more ways to blow the bridge completely off the ship?
The saucer is actually effectively the secondary hull on this ship and the outer section is a revolving space needle restaurant.

That's clearly not the TOS hull font. Is it the Motion Picture font or NüTrek font?
>>
Dr. Reyga - Wed, 04 Oct 2017 14:25:59 EST ID:nuPPHgen No.61399 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>61398
>The saucer is actually effectively the secondary hull on this ship and the outer section is a revolving space needle restaurant.

Best 10 Forward in the fleet, then!
>>
Corporal F Hawkins - Wed, 04 Oct 2017 19:27:29 EST ID:q3XMUiXr No.61406 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Maybe it's because it's a science ship and there are so many experiments going on on board. They said that DSC's sister ship has 300 projects going on at a time, so I imagine DSC has the same capacity. Maybe the holes are to make the ship more containable in case of explosions or if something got out that wasn't supposed to.
>>
Erika Benteen - Wed, 04 Oct 2017 20:40:15 EST ID:lLULZtIw No.61411 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>61406
Fire containment is definitely a better reason than boarding.
>>
Lt. Ro Laren - Wed, 04 Oct 2017 21:59:50 EST ID:nuPPHgen No.61416 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>61406
OK, so if it is a containment unit, what does it say about Starfleet that they will let everyone but the command crew not have this safety feature?

Just saying...
What? Starfleet makes dick moves sometimes...

You know, I just thought of the most likely thing...
Proto-saucer detachment? Instead of it detaching like in TNG, maybe just the central saucer detaches via explosive bolts at the four attachment points. Then the central saucer takes off.
>>
Thomas Riker - Wed, 04 Oct 2017 22:00:09 EST ID:q3XMUiXr No.61417 Ignore Report Quick Reply
maybe all the labs are on the outer ring and operations, etc is on the inner
>>
Erika Benteen - Wed, 04 Oct 2017 22:26:19 EST ID:lLULZtIw No.61424 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>61416
>the central saucer detaches via explosive bolts at the four attachment points. Then the central saucer takes off.
This is definitely how this ship should be destroyed whenever they feel like doing that, which feels like it could be literally any episode after this season.
>>
Raven Overcoming Orchid !Tz0ULG.7to - Thu, 05 Oct 2017 02:29:11 EST ID:3q2kEMAP No.61429 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1507184951339.jpg -(427865B / 417.84KB, 1000x1324) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>61424
I assume that the central saucer is a combination of escape module and crew block. So you detach the central section, and since it has all the phaser banks it probably can defend itself from incoming photon torpedoes, at least for a minute or two. Then the ship tightens its shields around the bridge module, and the ship can travel at warp faster.

It's possible that the crew module can be landed on planets, and that the bridge module might also double as a super-high-pressure like those deep diving submersible pods we have in real life, like Boaty McBoatface.
>>
Third of Five - Thu, 05 Oct 2017 11:08:21 EST ID:0JMozmZI No.61442 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>61429
it probably has something to do with the effing space mushroom highway.
>>
Valkris - Thu, 05 Oct 2017 16:36:11 EST ID:nIjtrALu No.61466 Ignore Report Quick Reply
> Maybe the holes are to make the ship more containable in case of explosions or if something got out that wasn't supposed to.

So they sacrifice habitable volume, storage volume, access points for both personnel and utilities, hull strength and hull area that could be used to externally mount almost anything (transmitters, sensors, weapons, Vulcan trans-galactic mind meld Skype ports) in order to gain... safety? We've already seen that their containment fields work in God Mode. Between that and collapsing bulkheads why would a designer start carving chunks out of the hull for a layer of safety that sounds impractical. What have we gained from that sacrifice if a section of hull goes boom and it isn't anywhere near that inner gap?

I always thought it was mildly retarded that starships had the bridge inside an obvious bulge in the top-center of every ship. These aren't ships at sea; the bridge crew doesn't need to be up there to allow them to see as far out as possible. Having the bridge where the 1701-D's battle bridge is makes more sense. Down and back. If you want to kill the captain, you're gonna have to nuke our tennis court first, ya cunts.

So I think of the bridge location as a symbolic thing and I move on. But Discovery's bridge? Wtf? "Y'know what, Admiral? Survival rates in our fleet are too damn high! Instead of just sticking most of the command staff into one room on the very top of the ship, let's stick them in a room and then hang that room from 4 thin struts!" Never mind getting shot at, if they so much as make a hard turn without inertial dampeners that bridge becomes a hockey puck. It's a stack of retarded thinking.

The design was chosen for how it looks. Theirs no practical rationalizing to bail it out, just excuse-making.

>>61429

So why didn't they do that on the USS Glenn? The entire crew was wiped out by the tardibeast and the bridge section was just sitting there.
>>
Erika Benteen - Thu, 05 Oct 2017 17:14:10 EST ID:lLULZtIw No.61469 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1507238050484.jpg -(68106B / 66.51KB, 1200x675) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>61466

lol when has hull strength ever mattered on Star Trek? If shit touches your hull things are getting ugly fast.

>The design was chosen for how it looks. Theirs no practical rationalizing to bail it out
Sure, but it kinda brings together elements of Star Trek Enterprise and the original. TOS had the big convex pie plate, TNG has this organic smooth contoured look, but the NX-01 clearly had a segmented saucer. A gap isn't much of a stretch.

I'm telling you, the best in-universe justification is more windows. But aesthetic design is still somewhat of an in-universe thing as well. This thing looks like the new Apple campus.

Is it weird that I liked the original teaser version with the fins and red nacelles better? I mean, the lighting and effects clearly weren't finished but I'd like to see what a mature rendering of this bad boy would have looked like. I fucking love the triple red bussard-collectors. That part of the look was fucking hot.
>>
Colonel Lovok - Thu, 05 Oct 2017 18:21:39 EST ID:cmarPGG9 No.61476 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1507242099630.jpg -(12725B / 12.43KB, 716x360) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>61469
>lol when has hull strength ever mattered on Star Trek?

It mattered right up until the moment that plot armour would take over. The convo here has been rooted in real-world applications and consequences. If we get too rubbery about basic things like hull and superstructure then the convo falls apart because nobody's right and nobody's wrong. The convo stays both interesting if we can marry it as much as possible to reality.

>the NX-01 clearly had a segmented saucer.

You lost me. The NX-01 looks like someone crossbred the primary hull with their dad's 57 Chevy.

Thinking about Discovery leads me to think about the what they did with the Enterprise refit for TMP and just how fucking gorgeous the result was. It stayed true to the original but the changes and additions were more substantial than mere tweaks.
35 years on and I'm just disappointed with what a modern team has given us. I don't like the shape of the ship, I don't like the way they photograph it and even being inside it is boring.
>>
Raven Overcoming Orchid !Tz0ULG.7to - Fri, 06 Oct 2017 02:38:38 EST ID:3q2kEMAP No.61508 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1507271918003.jpg -(121057B / 118.22KB, 1600x1200) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>61476
It is hard to admit that they came up with the ultimate starship aesthetic 35 years ago and have been reaching for it ever since.

The Galaxy Class is pretty close but it doesn't have that same flare the Constitution Refit does.
>>
Jaresh-Inyo - Fri, 06 Oct 2017 16:29:21 EST ID:nuPPHgen No.61524 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>61466
>The entire crew was wiped out by the tardibeast and the bridge section was just sitting there.

I thought that, the crew was killed by some mysterious space warping caused by the Magical Space Shroom experiments. The Monstardigrade was something that came afterwards and ate up the Klingons when they boarded. The bodies on Glenn were literally twisted like rags. That is far too much for the Monstardigrade, who just wants to nom on you.
>>
Dr. Denara Pel - Fri, 06 Oct 2017 18:10:22 EST ID:q3XMUiXr No.61530 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>61524
By came afterwards do you mean it was already on the ship? Because I believe that's what happened. And the Klingons accidentally walked into their slaugher. The tardibeast was probably released by a chain of events after the mushroom thingy that destroyed some of the ships systems. Unsure how the tardibeast was unaffected though. Or maybe it was the incident that killed the crew that also created the tardibeast. Maybe they had some weird experiment going on with tardigrades and then the incident happens and a weird chain of events culminates into a massive man eating tardigrade.
>>
Jaresh-Inyo - Fri, 06 Oct 2017 18:39:28 EST ID:nuPPHgen No.61533 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>61530
I assumed that the Monstardigrade was released somehow in the chaos of the event, and/or came onto the ship when they pushed their "cycle" too hard with the spores. It seems like it might be from another experiment or related to the spores. Perhaps that weird metal carapace it has protected it from being twisted to death and it was just some monster created in different experiment. I dunno. I just know that Monstardigrade seemed to have a different way of killing people than just twisting them up! Plus, if it just got everyone, wouldn't there be some sort of defensive line? People who survived by sheltering in place? I dunno. It is kind of confusing. Like, are these two separate things or are they related? STD doesn't seem to be making this a good mystery either. It is just...dropped there.

Also, does Starfleet ever bother with body recovery? Opps, the shuttle pilot is drifting in space...oh, well...why bother trying to use our ultra advanced tech to locate a suit with a beacon on it. Oh, the entire ship's crew was brutally killed? Fuck it, just leave them there and we will blow up the ship.
>>
Kirayoshi O'Brien - Fri, 06 Oct 2017 18:40:38 EST ID:N+yh9KSQ No.61534 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1507329638228.jpg -(83146B / 81.20KB, 1920x1080) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>61524
>>61530

I don't remember the tardibeast being explained at all. I also don't remember being shown anything else that would explain the slaughter. But its Kurtzman, so the explanation will wind up being lazy and stupid.
>>
Kira Meru - Fri, 06 Oct 2017 20:27:37 EST ID:vUVXPY3s No.61539 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>61476
>hull strength
It always felt like hull strength is irrelevant because you have structural integrity fields which demonstrate much more strength than the base materials, or you did by TNG era. And those were far stronger than material.

But then you had ablative armour and I think they are really fucking inconsistent with that.

The NX01 had hull strength because it used polarised plates but everything else basically relied on shields and fields because they were way better.

So I don't think even the writers really know.
>>
Dr. Denara Pel - Fri, 06 Oct 2017 20:29:57 EST ID:nuPPHgen No.61541 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>61534
I thought the whole conversation between Glenn's science guy and Gay Fungus Dude was the explanation for the twisted bodies. "Hey, watch me out science you guys!" "Wait, you might not want to crank the science up to 11!" "Gotta, the boss man says." And then everyone dies a horrible, sudden, really only explained by some super-science being the killer type of death. I also seem to recall them using the word "bloom," or something like that in the conversation. So, it seemed connected to Magic Space Shrooms. Nobody was saying... "Oh, and did you see that fucking tardigrade we fed concentrated Klingon growth hormones to? Holy fuck! We had to order a whole new squad of red shirts!" So, I am guessing, Twisted Bodies = Sub Space Shroom Fuckery while Monstardigrade = Super Science Fuckery Unrelated To Space Shrooms. The space shroom fuckery just fucked up enough shit for the doors on Mad Science Lab 106 to open up.
>>
Gul Darhe'el - Sat, 07 Oct 2017 00:20:22 EST ID:mQoJtxOF No.61546 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I don't remember where I read it, but the stated purpose was something along the lines of 'more surface area for more windows to see out with'. Which makes zero sense, even in the Kelvin timeline, because they didn't even consider creature comforts until the next fucking century.
>>
Michael Rostov - Sat, 07 Oct 2017 00:35:21 EST ID:q3XMUiXr No.61547 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>61546
Damn, that's fuckin stupid. I feel dumb now for having put thought into the design when the designers didn't even do that
>>
Guinan - Sat, 07 Oct 2017 04:47:01 EST ID:XBknZVTB No.61550 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>61547
I have a feeling this will be a theme with Discovery. It's a fool's attempt at a cash grab. It's not really smart or thought out in any fashion besides MUH DIVERSADEE. I might have thought the third episode to be alright but I still expect more disappointments.
>>
Guinan - Mon, 09 Oct 2017 21:55:27 EST ID:fQoAcSu4 No.61619 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1507600527161.png -(369327B / 360.67KB, 540x405) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>61541
I have reread this post like 6 times and laugh every time
>>
Guinan - Mon, 09 Oct 2017 22:03:39 EST ID:fQoAcSu4 No.61621 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1507601019737.jpg -(83501B / 81.54KB, 801x690) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
WARNING EXTREMELY TECHNICAL SPOILERS

Do not read without watching Episode 4 and having at least a master's degree in either quantum mechanics, mycology, or technobabble

The whole ship is aparently a fidget spinner which allows the monster tardigrade to eat mushroom jizz and into space fold pew pew lazar beans and mushram sporz all up in yo face nigga, the space worm talks to his foods as he ates it yumyum yum in his tum tum tum, zoom zap space is dumb, magic transport, aint it fun? This show isn't racist because the indian lady died we added a new black lady on the bridge with some craaaazy dreadlocks

spaaaace spores and tardigrapes

watch the vulcan raised human cry again because a worm was inconvienancef after it ate and then raped her friend waaah so sad a worm is being hurt by science
>>
Benjamin Sisko - Tue, 10 Oct 2017 21:51:51 EST ID:nuPPHgen No.61655 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>61621
Those nipple clamps on the Monstardigrade! In space no one can hear your safe word!
>>
Vice Admiral Leyton - Wed, 11 Oct 2017 09:57:24 EST ID:WR91h6t+ No.61668 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>61621
>it's retard farscape
hahaha holy shit this just gets better
>>
Guinan - Wed, 11 Oct 2017 21:41:18 EST ID:ZWCmUD5w No.61685 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>61668
>CAN'T UNSEE
>>
Jake Sisko - Sun, 15 Oct 2017 14:38:57 EST ID:zOP6CW8s No.61751 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>61621
this post sold me on watching more STD, for real.
>>
Mezoti - Mon, 16 Oct 2017 02:43:39 EST ID:iows5Uco No.61772 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1508136219377.jpg -(30162B / 29.46KB, 500x497) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>61621
some craaaazy dreadlocks

Dude her hair is beyond glorious.

I can't show a picture of it because the bridge lighting on this show is shit, but it's godly. Grace Jones ain't got shit on this hair.
>>
Legate Damar - Sun, 22 Oct 2017 05:36:36 EST ID:aBP3+y8b No.61916 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1508664996455.png -(65782B / 64.24KB, 131x164) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>61888
It's voyager quality treknobabble
>>
Guinan - Mon, 30 Oct 2017 04:13:46 EST ID:3T/wLRRT No.62221 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>61772
There was a good profile shot of her in the newest episode, I thought of you
>>
Kayron - Mon, 30 Oct 2017 16:57:33 EST ID:aTBNUBu0 No.62234 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1509397053031.jpg -(62002B / 60.55KB, 960x540) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>62221
Our queen would be so proud.
It's like when you can hear the ripples of David Bowie's influence all over the musical landscape.
That hairdo is one of her ripples. She shaped the timeline that led to that glorious do. Without her influence it would not be the same.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.