Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Netjester is chatting 24/7 on Twitch and channel subscribers can use his emoticon

Now Playing on /1701/tube -

Kelpien tastes like... by Commander Dolim - Mon, 05 Feb 2018 20:16:12 EST ID:5VzmgF16 No.63666 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1517879772276.jpg -(106904B / 104.40KB, 944x944) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 106904
What does Kelpien taste like, do you think?

I want to say chicken, but raising a Kelpien to full size seems like a lot of work to just get the equivalent of like 40 chickens worth of meat. I mean, it must be tasty enough to make them worth eating in a world of high quality food replication, but not tasty enough that humans would just mow down the whole species like so many Doritos. Maybe up there with the finest toro or Kobe beef.

I say we eat Saru just to find out. Like, his leg. Starfleet can grow back Klepien legs, right? I mean, it is the future and all. So yeah, we should see what Saru tastes like. He's a whiny bitch anyway. He won't be missed.
>>
Commander Dolim - Mon, 05 Feb 2018 21:50:17 EST ID:k5A9jRzr No.63667 Ignore Report Quick Reply
What's weird is that kelpiens evolved all the way to sapience and into the technological era while still being predated. What sort of hyperintelligent superpredator did they share the planet with?

I imagined that there are parts that taste like turkey and parts that taste like tofu. The ganglia tastes like seaweed, and the willy tastes like pepperoni.
>>
Commander Dolim - Tue, 06 Feb 2018 13:59:18 EST ID:5VzmgF16 No.63675 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63667
I was wondering that myself. Klepiens were farmed according to STD. That means that there is some sort of super-predator running around on their planet who probably misses the days he could eat a tasty sapient. Like, what the fuck preyed on Klepiens is the real question.
>>
Minister Kuvak - Tue, 06 Feb 2018 15:07:03 EST ID:XFr8qSiV No.63676 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63675
Is a farmer a predator?
>>
Commander Dolim - Tue, 06 Feb 2018 15:25:04 EST ID:5VzmgF16 No.63678 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63676
If they farm animals yes. Just a predator that can maximize opportunities to prey.
>>
Minister Kuvak - Tue, 06 Feb 2018 15:45:14 EST ID:XFr8qSiV No.63679 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63678
I don't think so. To be a predator you have to hunt or ambush your prey. The wikipedia entry on Predation explicitly mentions some human behaviours as predatory that exclude any sort of farming. I think it would be more accurate to say they're groomed. Like you do with children.
>>
Tal Celes - Tue, 06 Feb 2018 16:25:08 EST ID:4FNqPSb7 No.63681 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63679

Most the people I know who "groomed children" were predators
>>
Commander Dolim - Tue, 06 Feb 2018 17:26:08 EST ID:5VzmgF16 No.63685 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1517955968276.png -(123962B / 121.06KB, 429x535) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>63681
>>
Zefram Cochrane - Tue, 06 Feb 2018 18:04:18 EST ID:tMlmSe54 No.63688 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63685
Oh hey Chris handsome. I didn't come here for no Kelpien boys...
>>
Zefram Cochrane - Tue, 06 Feb 2018 18:06:25 EST ID:tMlmSe54 No.63689 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1517958385905.jpg -(5605B / 5.47KB, 241x209) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>63688
Just cause a man forgets his face once in a while don't mean he ain't a warrior.
>>
Admiral Alidar Jarok - Wed, 07 Feb 2018 07:18:45 EST ID:neQcLgkT No.63691 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1518005925428.gif -(1208213B / 1.15MB, 306x230) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Eating the ganglia gives you sexual powers.
>>
Mezoti - Wed, 07 Feb 2018 13:26:11 EST ID:5VzmgF16 No.63699 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63691
Kelpiens are the rhinos of space?

BTW, anyone notice that there is a lot of sentient-on-sentient cannibalism in STD? The Klingons ate Captain Crouching Tiger and "picked the meat from her skull." Then, ironically, the Mirrorverse Emperor eats Kelpiens like some people eat lobster.

Basically, avoid Georgiou because when she is around SOMEONE is gonna get eaten.
>>
Commander Suran - Sat, 10 Feb 2018 23:10:41 EST ID:rI/ks6VH No.63760 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63675
I think the idea might have been that they evolved from a farmed animal rather than they literally were farmed as they are. As in the original sapiant species of their planet went extinct millions of years ago and one of the animals they farmed evolved into the kelpiens, and this history still affects their psychology today.

Or it might be a restaurant at the end of thr universe idea, except they only got as far as "meat that will shrug and not care too much about being eaten".
>>
Jean-Luc Picard - Sat, 10 Feb 2018 23:51:57 EST ID:NmJ0Aupw No.63762 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63760
One does not simply evolve from a farmed animal. Not unless your captors fuck off to apocalypse town and die and evolutionary pressures for intelligence can reassert themselves.

Alternately there's the scenario that some mad scientists injected a farmed animal with intelligence serum and bred and trained a supermutant cow race that can process complex ideas and play internet reversi like a champ. But that's stupid.

Or their captors were such hippies (but not vegetarians) that they mandated intellectually stimulating entertainment suites in all of the pastures since the introduction of ultra-high-nutrient-density kibble instead of grasses and grain, and thus spent much less of their day eating and started to become depressed in all of the additional downtime.
Mental illness sours the meat, and measures had to be taken by the Okja coalition institute to maintain the quality of their products.
And so these new ultra kibble megacows eventually became proficient in internet reversi, leading to the eventual acceptance of megacows into the previously human-exclusive international internet reversi megatournaments that had become so popular on basic cable.
This acquisition of skills did not always trend toward entertainment software and so in some rare cases the megacows would learn Excel and eventually earn their freedom as wage-earning accountants.
And so on and so on, then the ultra intelligent megacow descendents had perfected their own hoof based martial arts and pursued the scientific means to engineer a genetically keyed plague to destroy their captors and start over in a new world of hoof based life. And after years of hoof-based warfare a peace was struck between the hoofed and befooted. Several megacow scientists and megacow resistance fighters were arrested and executed for war crimes. The flavor of their meat would have been tainted with the haunting nightmares of the befooted ones piled 8 feet high, spoiled by lesions and boils, skin sloughing from their grievous, lifeless countenances. Their flavor profiles dominated by horror and regret.
The befooted survivors would not taste meat again. At least not until the advent of megacow organ cloning, when the megacow scientist had turned their focus from death to life they learned how to graft sapient clones to each other within the embryo, severing both of their heads above the brainstem. The resulting brainless chimeras would be harvested mainly for the purpose of donor penises and vaginas. First in the interest of men and women born with deformed or missing genitalia, then for the megacow transgender community and 60 days later the industry boomed mainly transplanting bigger dicks onto megabulls with small, average and significantly above average dicks.
This advancement left much organic material left over, and some avant-garde chefs among the befooted race took it upon themselves to make some return to their historical foods.

Had any of their ancestor chefs been there to critique, They would have remarked that chimera clone meat tastes depressed AF.
>>
Lt. Cmdr. Jack Crusher - Sun, 11 Feb 2018 01:03:19 EST ID:u87FzXb6 No.63764 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63666
>What does Kelpien taste like
Probably really good.
Predators aren't indiscriminate: they specifically target their meals and they obviously do so on the basis of taste. But the success of a persistent predator population also relies on their ability to cultivate a healthy feed-stock. The intersection of these two instincts informs how real-world prey animals are genetically propagated.

You can see real-world examples on Earth with things like Antelope: the smallest and most evasive varieties are considered to be possibly the most delicious of all huntables.
>>
Douglas Pabst - Sun, 11 Feb 2018 11:14:26 EST ID:5uU+DoWU No.63769 Ignore Report Quick Reply
The whole Kelpien as prey animal evolving sentience premise is flawed to begin with.
The first giveaway is the looks, they'd have to do some serious mask building and sculpt the heads in such a way that eyes point sideways. Every prey animal on earth looks that way.
Second evolving opposable thumbs is only sensible if there it is better than other appendixes like for instance hoofs. Bipedal locomotion makes sense if you have something else to do while moving, and if you just run away it's simply not.

The only plausible explanation for the existence of the Kelpiens as they are described by Saru is if they were genetically engineered.
Now there is another possibility: Saru is simply a weirdo/schizophrenic and made the whole origin of his species up for some incomprehensible reason.
>>
Mordoc - Sun, 11 Feb 2018 12:11:09 EST ID:5VzmgF16 No.63770 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63769
This still leaves open the question -

Who preyed on Kelpiens to begin with, and what happened to them? Did they have some "come to Jebus," moment and all go Vegetarian, thus freeing their prey?

Now, in the Mirrorverse, I could see the Kelpien-eaters are being wiped out by humans because, "Fuck you, we are all evil goatee wearing bastards!" Then they just take the Kelpien livestock for their own.

Also, does Saru eat meat? Is he in any way a predator? They have this crazy, undefined "binary predator/prey" system, which I assume just means no omnivores. Which is odd since evolution loves itself some omnivores.

And seriously, they need to explain the "danger boners," better. Are those things "lightly psychic," or just some magical thing that really evolved to allow shitty writers a way to foreshadow?
>>
Jean-Luc Picard - Sun, 11 Feb 2018 12:26:56 EST ID:NmJ0Aupw No.63771 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63770
I'm pretty sure we're done with focusing on the threat ganglia because the CGI for them looks like shit. I don't think they'd dare write as much bullshit depending on them in a second season.
They should be a tool to show Saru's level of anxiety, but they're too supernatural for that and that makes them a shitty writing crutch. They're also used so selectively that the only way to interpret them is as a writing crutch. Better to just drop it now.
>>
Douglas Pabst - Sun, 11 Feb 2018 17:48:18 EST ID:5uU+DoWU No.63773 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63770
>Who preyed on Kelpiens to begin with, and what happened to them? Did they have some "come to Jebus," moment and all go Vegetarian, thus freeing their prey?
It would have to be the Hirogen, I'd say the Kelpiens are an earlier example of them engineering their own prey. As of for reasons as seen with that VOY Hologram cult episode they tend to overestimate their abilities and get more than they bargained for.

>Now, in the Mirrorverse, I could see the Kelpien-eaters are being wiped out by humans because, "Fuck you, we are all evil goatee wearing bastards!" Then they just take the Kelpien livestock for their own.
Another possibility is uhh twist Keliens are bred by mirror universe humans in the first place.

>Also, does Saru eat meat? Is he in any way a predator? They have this crazy, undefined "binary predator/prey" system, which I assume just means no omnivores. Which is odd since evolution loves itself some omnivores.
It's pretty clear at least he's a vegie fits all the tropes.

>And seriously, they need to explain the "danger boners," better. Are those things "lightly psychic," or just some magical thing that really evolved to allow shitty writers a way to foreshadow?
I think it was just supposed to be some form of non-verbal communication where a herd of Kelpians swarms out like a flock of birds if they see each others fear-boners.
>>
Mordoc - Sun, 11 Feb 2018 18:14:20 EST ID:5VzmgF16 No.63774 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63773
Hirogen are Delta quadrant though. The Kelpiens seem to be pretty much alpha quadrant.

I'll be honest, the way they described Kelpien predator/prey situations, I sort of imagined that any given individual within a species may be predator or prey. With some Kelpiens being born cannibalistic and others being born to a life of fear boners every 5 minutes.

Honestly, I doubt the writers really have much plotted out besides making the predator/prey thing crucial to the "fear boner," trope. Not a fan.

Also, I assume that the Terran Empire breeds Kelpiens. I would just assume too, that they came across the old Kelpien Predators and would have wiped them out and then simply taken over the massive stockyards on Kelpia Prime or wherever. Cheap slaves and delicious ganglia to feast upon.

Also, do you think they sell Kelpien at the Whole Foods across the Empire?
>>
Porthos - Sun, 11 Feb 2018 20:57:37 EST ID:xUlK44+3 No.63777 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63769
Extrapolating Earth trends onto aliens is shitty logic. It's also a rule of thumb and not a law of nature or anything: there plenty of animals which break this "rule".

And yeah I'm anticipating that they're not merely prey but victims of some intelligent space-sadists. Nobody said they were purely prey animals at all stages of their evolution, and that's not how it works on Earth either.

>>63771
Uh do you guys think maybe the threat ganglia and mycelial network might be related somehow? That these two unusual concepts introduces simultaneously might be... connected?

Do you think maybe... everything is connected?

You fucking dummies.
>>
Liquidator Brunt - Sun, 11 Feb 2018 22:10:52 EST ID:5VzmgF16 No.63778 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63777
>Nobody said they were purely prey animals at all stages of their evolution,

More specifically, nobody has said much about Klepien evolution except to create a McGuffin to push the threat ganglia trope, which is basically just there to be used as foreshadowing. Which sucks, because they also hang a good part of Saru's behavior on this same McGuffin. Every time he is faced with danger, his actions are overshadowed by the fact that his species is better at flight than fight.

Although, I do find it interesting that he may be the bravest Kelpien out there. He is certainly more nuanced than some Cowardly Lion stereotype.
>>
Jake Sisko - Mon, 12 Feb 2018 00:12:56 EST ID:2G6oewNa No.63781 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63778
>nobody has said much about Klepien evolution
No one has said much about any of the characters. Even the main crew, which is incredibly small compared to every other Trek show, have little development. The most, and pretty much only "developed" character is Michael Burnout and her character is about as developed as Vir Cotto was in the third episode of the first season of B5.
>>
Porthos - Mon, 12 Feb 2018 00:34:03 EST ID:xUlK44+3 No.63783 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63781
This is a pretty fast-paced show by Trek standards, with not a lot of room for characters to stand around exchanging exposition about their homeworlds or whatever. And even the Trek shows that did that a lot took a few seasons to detail out the main races. I mean it took them over three decades to flesh out the Andorians, so idk what you're complaining about.
And surprisingly Saru has gotten maybe the most character development out of anyone so far, what the hell do you want? Maybe an episode that starts with him turn to the camera and say hi, I'm a Keplian, here's all the information we were gonna pace out over a couple of seasons but instead I'm just gonna dump it all right now so you don't have to wait for anything. PS my threat ganglia works because of mushrooms, bet you didn't see that coming.

>>63778
> I do find it interesting that he may be the bravest Kelpien out there.
Dang what if this is true, and they go full Pierson's Puppeteers with the rest of his species? Aliens that are just super fucking hard to deal with are always the best.
>>
Jake Sisko - Mon, 12 Feb 2018 03:16:49 EST ID:2G6oewNa No.63791 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63783
>This is a pretty fast-paced show by Trek standards, with not a lot of room for characters to stand around exchanging exposition about their homeworlds or whatever.

They had 15 episodes. I would think in that time I would have at least gotten to know some of the characters a little bit but most of the "main" characters got very little in the way of character development.

>with not a lot of room for characters to stand around exchanging exposition about their homeworlds or whatever. And even the Trek shows that did that a lot took a few seasons to detail out the main races. I mean it took them over three decades to flesh out the Andorians, so idk what you're complaining about.

Delving deep into a specie's culture definitely takes some time and I can forgive that in a single season though to be fair The Orville has only had one (shorter) season and fleshed out both the characters and various cultures much much more. STD will probably be canceled before we get even that much.

That wasn't my point though. The problem is they haven't even explored any of the characters to any extent aside from Mikey, a little bit of Saru, a small amount about the Raymond Boone knock off, and a little bit of the Chief Mushroom Officer and even then not very much. I know very little about any of the characters and don't care about any of them.

>what the hell do you want?

I don't know. Maybe a Star Trek show that remotely resembles Star Trek. How about an engineering episode? A medical episode? Something besides Star Trek: Michael Burnham.

I stuck it out, I gave it a fair chance, it didn't get any better, and its just not a very good show. If it didn't have the Trek name I would have dumped it a long time ago and now their going to fuck up Enterprise and Pike too.
>>
Porthos - Mon, 12 Feb 2018 04:01:53 EST ID:xUlK44+3 No.63793 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63791
But... we got The Orville airing at literally the same time. A non-traditonal Trek and a completely traditional one, simultaneously. That's got to be the 26th episode of the third season and the first episode of the fourth season of the American science fiction television series Star Trek: The Next Generation, doesn't it?
>>
Commander Donatra - Mon, 12 Feb 2018 13:31:35 EST ID:k6p5ZTt+ No.63800 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63783
>main races
>Andorians

pick one
>>
Liquidator Brunt - Mon, 12 Feb 2018 14:27:26 EST ID:5VzmgF16 No.63802 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63791
>I don't know. Maybe a Star Trek show that remotely resembles Star Trek. How about an engineering episode? A medical episode? Something besides Star Trek: Michael Burnham.

Yup. This is their big weakness. They built these long story arcs all centered around Burnham, and ignored the concept of bottle episodes all together. One thing Trek has always done well is to have bottle episodes existing within longer story arcs. Orville does this better to be honest. They have their war with the Krill, but also have whole episodes that allow for exposition and exploring the characters.
>>
Koloth - Mon, 12 Feb 2018 18:51:22 EST ID:BFlLBWVn No.63810 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1518479482004.jpg -(161461B / 157.68KB, 1212x864) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>63802
I think what you guys are missing is that Trek isn't just an image of a bright future for mankind, it's an institution that's actively trying to get us there by changing how people see their relationship to the world and one another.

Everyone remembers the first interracial kiss in TOS, or how it was a big deal to have a Russian and a Japanese dude on the bridge and everyone being cool about it, or that it was sold as "Wagon Train to the stars". But you also gotta remember that American men were brought up on cowboy stories for over a CENTURY at this point and there had been at least two generations of television and cinema-goers who had been raised on basically nothing but Western shit, funded and produced by studios owned by the same firearms manufacturers who had been profiteering off a culture they'd been cultivating since at least the US Civil War. And the reason that changed has a lot to do with motherfucking STAR TREK capturing that audience and making them debate sci-fi problems in a context of optimism.
Want proof that was intentional? Look closely at the blackboard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KII_6yhkEL4 (also... the whole episode, it's not that subtle).

STD is playing a more cynical version of the same game and if it feels like it's not written for you, that's probably because the people who need to hear its message are speaking a slightly different language to us because they've been cultivated by different, insidious political forces.

That message btw is "DO SHROOMS".
>>
Raven Overcoming Orchid !Tz0ULG.7to - Mon, 12 Feb 2018 19:14:35 EST ID:pA4PLfmO No.63811 Ignore Report Quick Reply
You don't have to hurt him too much, just do liposuction and we could make some refried beans from the fat.

Or fry battered snickers bars and butterfingers.
>>
Lt. Darien Wallace - Mon, 12 Feb 2018 20:20:19 EST ID:k6p5ZTt+ No.63814 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63811
They look pretty lean. You'd probably need to lipo half a dozen of 'em just to have enough fat to grease a pan.
>>
Raven Overcoming Orchid !Tz0ULG.7to - Tue, 13 Feb 2018 03:10:35 EST ID:pA4PLfmO No.63819 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63814
I guess we need to gorge them on wheat and other starchy grains that we use to fatten up livestock.

Or just go full foe gras and put him on a feeding tube.
>>
Tora Ziyal - Tue, 13 Feb 2018 04:42:15 EST ID:TinR0Zso No.63826 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63819
The difference between the mirror universe and normal one is actually that in the normal one they smoke them out and give them fast food and pop tarts.
>>
Weyoun 4 - Tue, 13 Feb 2018 11:12:20 EST ID:wxvIFlM0 No.63840 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1518538340351.gif -(400876B / 391.48KB, 250x189) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>63810
>> what you guys are missing is that Trek [...] it's an institution that's actively trying to get us there by changing how people see their relationship to the world and one another.
If this were a movie I would start the slow clap thing rn
>>
Ensign Herbert - Tue, 13 Feb 2018 15:02:18 EST ID:2G6oewNa No.63852 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63840
Thats great and all but STD didn't do that. Its just mindless, generic sci-fi
>>
Senator Pardek - Tue, 13 Feb 2018 17:51:54 EST ID:5VzmgF16 No.63856 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63819
>Or just go full foe gras and put him on a feeding tube.

LOL! Imagine a whole herd of fat Saru's being fed tubs of corn, ready for the Emperor's table.
>>
Stonn - Tue, 13 Feb 2018 19:30:46 EST ID:BFlLBWVn No.63859 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63852
But it does do that, anon, and that's the point. It's always been a trojan horse masquerading as inoffensive sci-fi which appeals to the lowest common denominator.
It's just that in 2017, in order to not offend the lowest common denominator, you had to actively offer tribute on the shrine of wymynhood or whatever.

I spent the whole season tallying up the sneaky shit this show does, and I'm satisfied that it's nowhere near as dumb as it's pretending to be.
>>
Grand Nagus Gint - Tue, 13 Feb 2018 20:10:03 EST ID:Fa1mUZCA No.63860 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63859
>it's nowhere near as dumb as it's pretending to be.

Interesting theory. Like when a smart kid underachieves because they get made fun of for being a nerd. Discovery is Star Trek intentionally failing a test.

I'd say that it's not dumb; it's scared. A bolder show wouldn't have handwaved away so many challenging, intriguing plot threads.
>>
Raven Overcoming Orchid !Tz0ULG.7to - Tue, 13 Feb 2018 23:39:44 EST ID:pA4PLfmO No.63864 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1518583184337.jpg -(10067B / 9.83KB, 193x225) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>63856
>>
Tom Riker's Evil Fake Chops - Sun, 04 Mar 2018 05:27:10 EST ID:DGAsNRl1 No.64090 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63666
>I say we eat Saru just to find out. Like, his leg. Starfleet can grow back Klepien legs, right?
Well, in the 24th century, they couldn't regrow Nog's leg, having to give him a prosthetic, so i'm gonna go with no.

Also, I would guess he tastes like fish.
>>
Darien Wallace - Sun, 04 Mar 2018 17:52:46 EST ID:SfiMcBo4 No.64099 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>64090
maybe it varies from species to species
>>
Ulani Belor - Sun, 04 Mar 2018 17:58:02 EST ID:TinR0Zso No.64100 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>64099
It varies from writer to writer. Geordi could get clone eyes but Picard has a fake heart. The technology clearly exists but there's probably some ethical reasons or something.
>>
Harry Mudd - Sun, 04 Mar 2018 19:50:16 EST ID:5VzmgF16 No.64103 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>64100
This. Trek has never been exactly clear on this issue. We know cloning is outlawed. So is genetic manipulation to make you stronger/faster/smarter. That leaves this sort of big gap where the question of replacement organs sits. In theory they have the tech to grow organs and shit. Or fucking just have them made using replicator tech. Fuck, in theory they could just run you through the transporter and "fix" everything you needed fixed at that time.

Conversely, they are also really vague on cybernetics. Nobody is jacking in to VR simulations dumped straight into their brain. We know that. Otherwise holodecks would be pointless and Riker would have spent every free moment on whatever version of Xhamster they had at the time. Geordi is an obvious cyborg with seriously improved vision thanks to his visor. It seems like they will "upgrade you," if you NEED like new eyes or some shit. But, you can't be like, "I wanna see EM fields and shit. Pluck out my eyes and Geordify me!"

And then STD came along. Lt. Detmer is an obvious example of cybernetics to fix an injury. Fine. But, of course, STD being STD, they shoved Airiam onto the bridge, and now we have no idea what the fuck is happening there. Is she a cyborg? If she is, why? I could buy her being an alien cyborg...I mean, some cultures must be on the side of serious body modification. But, she would make no sense being a human cyborg in the current Trek canon unless she was literally Ghost In The Shelling things, and needed full body replacement or some shit.

I am hoping in the second season they take like, 5 minutes away from The Michael Burnham Hour, explain what the fuck is going on with that cyborg.

Also, gonna be honest, it seems like a waste of money to have her on the bridge. Just from a production standpoint. They have to hire an actress, and then spend hours every single shooting day getting her into makeup. All for a handful of quick reaction cuts and to make the background seem "more interesting." At least with Saru they have Doug Jones fucking DO SOMETHING. It sort of makes sense to spend the money and get him in and out of makeup. And he does it well. Airiam seems like a similar cost and effort, but with zero payoff. She just sits and makes weird clicking sounds in the corner. Like some sort of tarted up toaster. They honestly could have just made her an alien and thrown on a nosepiece and maybe some ears. There ya go. But nope....they gotta spend a fuck ton of money on a massive getup so someone can literally just wander around in the background and possibly shit up the canon when some writer finally notices that the character hasn't uttered a word for the whole season.
>>
Ishka Moogie - Mon, 05 Mar 2018 00:47:13 EST ID:BFlLBWVn No.64106 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>64103
>but with zero payoff
Fuck you. We're in love.
>>
Harry Mudd - Mon, 05 Mar 2018 13:21:27 EST ID:5VzmgF16 No.64115 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1520274087629.jpg -(96201B / 93.95KB, 800x450) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>64106
Look, you want a heavily modified Fleshlight as your waifu, that's your business. I just think they are wasting a shit-ton of cash on someone who is basically being treated as a prop. Imagine if Saru didn't have any speaking roles and just hung out in a corner of the bridge. Same shit. If you are going to put in the effort to make these interesting background characters, you need to, you know, give them a background! The whole show really dropped the ball in that regard. Traditionally in Trek, if you just wanted someone to stand in the background all the time you would just throw a red shirt on them and have them do some pointless button pushing. Airiam is a shit ton of work for what is essentially a prop.

Keep in mind, I am not saying she needs to go or anything. I am kinda intrigued by her (and scared for the canon a bit,) and I think they could...potentially...make her a really interesting character. Especially if she turns out to be some sort of alien from a race that fully embraced cybernetics. There could be some sort of conflict there between her people's philosophy and Starfleet's in this regard...or SOMETHING. Maybe she has her "humanity" doubted by others because of her extreme modification. Or becomes the weak link in an episode and someone takes control of her with a nasty computer virus. I mean, there is a lot of places this can go, and probably a bunch that make my stupid ideas seem....well, stupid. I'm no writer after all.

All I know is this - Every single time I see her, I'm like, "What is HER story?" And I fear that season 2 won't deliver in this regard. That they will just take this character and use her as a prop again because we need yet another episode of Burnham grousing around.
>>
Worf - Fri, 06 Apr 2018 11:48:01 EST ID:gKrbqKMn No.64278 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>64103
Cloning isn't outlawed anywhere, other than mabye earth.
>>
Composer Delvok - Sat, 07 Apr 2018 00:16:23 EST ID:tHkrpXO+ No.64283 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I imagine it tastes like Patagonian Toothfish
>>
Admiral Hayes - Sat, 07 Apr 2018 04:54:21 EST ID:ZR416Pa+ No.64285 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>63666
Like Duck maybe? Greasy and gamey?
>>
Governor Torak - Sat, 07 Apr 2018 09:04:56 EST ID:l5TvN503 No.64286 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1523106296170.jpg -(69199B / 67.58KB, 660x960) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>64285
Your mom is greasy and gamey
>>
Simon Tarses - Sat, 07 Apr 2018 13:29:10 EST ID:5VzmgF16 No.64288 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>64286
>Your mom tastes like a Kelpian and your dad smells like a Klingon....

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.