Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Netjester is chatting 24/7 on Twitch and channel subscribers can use his emoticon

Now Playing on /1701/tube -

Ferengi based on Faringi? by Senator Kimara Cretak - Wed, 11 Apr 2018 11:19:42 EST ID:YcOvQSq6 No.64301 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1523459982211.gif -(753018B / 735.37KB, 245x188) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 753018
>mfw Faringi is a word the Indians used for foreigners, particularly the greedy Englishmen of the East India Company

Faringi/Ferengi

Short
Big ears
Bad teeth
Ultra-capitalist

Holy shit guys the Ferengi are a caricature derived from the English East India Company and Colonial India.
>>
T'Pau - Wed, 11 Apr 2018 13:39:25 EST ID:iUbBUc5/ No.64302 Ignore Report Quick Reply
That would be p cool. I don't know if I believe the writers of S1 TNG were that smart tho.
>>
Groundskeeper Boothby - Wed, 11 Apr 2018 14:12:56 EST ID:aK3MREZj No.64303 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>64301
Well yeah, originally they were going to be evil capitalist (I know that's redundant) antagonists to replace the Klingons. They tried that for like one TNG episode when they were first introduced, but they were just too fucking goofy (or some IRL ferengi leaned on the production), I guess.
>>
Dr. Mora Pol - Wed, 11 Apr 2018 15:05:19 EST ID:l5TvN503 No.64304 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Big if true.

That would actually make even more sense than the jew caricature considering how warlike they were in tng.
>>
Travis Mayweather - Wed, 11 Apr 2018 15:24:57 EST ID:oDV8iW5L No.64305 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1523474697503.jpg -(80272B / 78.39KB, 713x910) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>64301
I can totally dig it, vibes alot withr their initial warlike nature but then they sorta became goofy partners in crime in the UFP, just like England
>>
Grand Nagus Gint - Thu, 12 Apr 2018 14:18:13 EST ID:L4HJB1Qb No.64307 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1523557093125.png -(11567B / 11.30KB, 447x378) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>64304
Well, the English banking in the City of London at that time was all run by Jews anyway so really it's the same thing. The Rothschilds had a large interest and stake in the East India Company and in Colonial India. It all makes sense now.

Were any of the writers educated Orientalists? HOW DEEP DOES IT GO?!
>>
Penk - Thu, 12 Apr 2018 23:38:39 EST ID:URf+iq8h No.64308 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Farang is also the Thai word for foreigner/white person. I presume it came out of the colonial era as well, but i'm too lazy to look it up.
>>
Lt. Reginald Barclay - Fri, 13 Apr 2018 13:09:39 EST ID:W/VrUED4 No.64309 Ignore Report Quick Reply
In Iranian too according to my ex room mate's dad. Apparently it's because all
Western Europeans were known as Franks in the middle east as a kindof short hand in the middle ages and so the land from which they hailed became known as "Farangistan".
>>
Duras - Fri, 13 Apr 2018 14:21:11 EST ID:aK3MREZj No.64310 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>64309
This is fascinating. Now I'm wondering if the story about the "original plan" for the Ferengi wasn't merely meta misdirection.
They showed up initially menacing and warlike, only to find an economic path of least resistance to insinuate themselves into the Federation, where they succeeded in re-implementing capitalism so that they can parasitically co-exist. And there's no punchline to this, no conclusion, because... well...
>>
Rionoj - Mon, 16 Apr 2018 18:08:09 EST ID:5VzmgF16 No.64318 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>64309
Farsi.
Iranians speak Farsi.
>>
Lt. Cmdr. Argyle - Mon, 16 Apr 2018 23:43:35 EST ID:19YtC3EI No.64319 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>64318
Because you phrased this condescendingly, I have to say congratulations on knowing one name of a language.
However, it's both. Any language spoken by Iranians could be called "Iranian". The Iranian dialect of Farsi can also be called "Iranian". For all you know his ex-roommate's dad refers to it as Iranian, and he'd be right to do so.
He could also call it any one of a dozen other things, as Persian has many names. Hell, it could be a lot more than a dozen: I don't know the Iranian convention, but many languages break things down far more than that--English is so homogeneous that we're used to mostly just calling the whole thing "English", but it isn't uncommon for dialects to be so regionally distinct that individuals' native languages end up named after towns, let alone nations or whatever.

It's also in the Iranian language family, meaning even if all this wasn't true it would still be accurate to refer to it as "Iranian", so you're double dumb.
>>
Lwaxana Troi - Tue, 17 Apr 2018 20:02:41 EST ID:XDaagm/Q No.64325 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>64319
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
>>
Arne Darvin - Wed, 18 Apr 2018 11:40:46 EST ID:bxa6inmD No.64330 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>64325
Temarc. The river Temarc, in winter.
>>
Joret Dal - Wed, 18 Apr 2018 17:40:38 EST ID:oDV8iW5L No.64334 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1524087638078.jpg -(109232B / 106.67KB, 700x661) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>64330
Temba, his arms wide!
>>
Admiral Alidar Jarok - Thu, 19 Apr 2018 13:57:23 EST ID:mbyjGwXO No.64342 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>64334

Sokath, his eyes open!
>>
Vice Admiral Nakamura - Thu, 19 Apr 2018 14:33:15 EST ID:8SbXOi9N No.64343 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1524162795382.gif -(101670B / 99.29KB, 975x537) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>64342
Rai and Jiri at Lungha. Rai of Lowani. Lowani under two moons. Jiri of Ubaya. Ubaya of crossed roads. At Lungha, her sky grey?
>>
Mezoti - Fri, 20 Apr 2018 14:32:23 EST ID:19YtC3EI No.64347 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Enkidu and Gilgamesh at the combination KFC & Taco Bell.
>>
Dr. Telek R'Mor - Fri, 20 Apr 2018 14:47:24 EST ID:QW+GxvNa No.64348 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>64347
Enkidu wrecking a Taco Bell/KFC would be pretty funny to watch
>>
Nevala - Fri, 20 Apr 2018 17:01:39 EST ID:zQ+XXy3R No.64349 Ignore Report Quick Reply
You're not wrong to make that assessment, The Victorian British people were capitalist extremists just like the Ferengi. They didn't gave two shits about the rights of the indigenous people or their own women, they will destroyed the environment and disregard health and safety in the name of profits. Also, people will do anything to get one step up from their peers.
>>
Chairman Koval - Fri, 20 Apr 2018 20:01:12 EST ID:19YtC3EI No.64350 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>64349
>or their own women
Or anybody outside the aristocracy.

You're not wrong, and these people were representing a paradigm of domination dating back beyond Rome, but making it a gender thing is missing the point.
Like, this is the reason Australian English is a derivation of London Cockney. After they lost the American colony, they doubled down on Australia and needed to scoop people off the fucking street to convict and sell as indentured servants to the trading companies. It had nothing to do with sex. The first female monarch of England reigned from 1553.
>>
Lt. George Primmin - Fri, 20 Apr 2018 23:13:56 EST ID:zQ+XXy3R No.64352 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>64350

Yes and no, I was more alluding to The Women's suffrage during the time. Not the "you're my property, you whore" stuff.
>>
Elim Garak - Sat, 21 Apr 2018 12:45:04 EST ID:yDo2d8GY No.64353 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I think the thing to remember is that most good writers and we're assuming that this is deliberate and so they're good won't just rip off a single concept. A lot of writers trying to explore an idea will research similar fictional and real examples to get an idea of how it works/plays out so they can write something more realistic or at least that complies with how people think it works. They probably had to make a mercantile race and so they went and researched a bunch of famous trading organisations and nations and skimmed bits until they had unique but still familiar society. The "Yankee trader" thing was chosen as the most familiar point of reference but I think this thread makes it clear they took ideas from at least one other group.

I decided to look into the facts and see if there's more parallels. The UK woman's suffrage movement came about during the later half of the victorian era pretty much kicking off seriously as the east india company stopped trading actually, it ticked over before that. Maybe this is an intentional parallel or maybe not. Actual suffrage only occurred after men went to die in a big muddy hole for basically nothing and someone had to keep the lights on back home, after they stepped up and proved they could do it it was much harder to deny them a vote. However at that point there'd been a lot of campaigning. I feel like these are inevitable coincidences rather than deliberate. If this happens, this would happen around then and this follows. Of course Ishka could also be a reference to Lily Maxwell (who got to vote due to an accident in admin) and that would make Rom the Ferengi John Stuart Mill. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stuart_Mill

At first I thought this was a reach but if it's a coincidence it's bloody huge one. Mills advocated collective bargaining (through workers electing a representative), considering the environmental cost of his actions, women voting and was a utilitarian. When I studied economics I know about him being a utilitarian but I didn't realise that was he was a polymath genius and all around decent guy. Still sitting moderately left of centre in the modern world. Anyway, Rom formed a union, voiced concerns about the environment, was definitely not against women making profit and I'm pretty sure he looks at "profit" and assets beyond latinum. Mills didn't make self replicating mines and while Malthus' concerns weren't completely invalid our population will flatten out in a few decades and food as kept up for 200 years since that theory. But hey no one's perfect.
>>
Elim Garak - Sat, 21 Apr 2018 12:46:35 EST ID:yDo2d8GY No.64354 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>64353
Though also Mills definitely did not advocate the prime directive and that takes us full circle.
>>
Seskal - Sat, 21 Apr 2018 18:52:04 EST ID:5VzmgF16 No.64359 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>64354
The Prime Directive is a philosophically recent invention.

Arguably, it could be the cause of the Fermi Paradox.
>>
Kornan - Sun, 22 Apr 2018 16:37:13 EST ID:19YtC3EI No.64361 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I guess the point of comparison would be how everyone else viewed the IRL ferengi with regard to women. Even though I view it as a natural part of their hierarchical society that they treated everybody like slaves, the fact that this included women nearly categorically, and all the invaders--being "businessmen"--would have been male, is something that would have stuck out to people.

Colonials liked to justify their shit by projecting it on the rest of the world, like the idea that the planet is in a perpetual state of war (fuck u just btw immanuel kant) which is convenient since it justifies literally anything and is still the basis of Western foreign policy, or that patriarchal structures are both natural (despite it being more a reflection of a war economy) and primitive (which they even bake into their origin myths), and must therefore apply to everyone. But I can completely imagine foreigners being all "holy shit these niggas are fancy barbarians" the whole time and it being completely lost on the Europeans.
>>
Biddle Coleridge - Sun, 22 Apr 2018 17:14:51 EST ID:5VzmgF16 No.64362 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>64361
No doubt. One thing the Ferengi are is sort of an anti-Federation that is used to reflect on our own history of Gentile Barbarism. They only work as a literary device when the viewer is sitting where they are, somewhere between Federation and Ferengi on the socio-political plane graph doo-hickey.

I'll be honest though, I need to rewatch DS9 to really get more info on them. That is where all the canon really got made.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.