420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Fixing the X-Men by Nell Grimwater - Fri, 17 Mar 2017 18:29:04 EST ID:HNCSxILI No.43039 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1489789744411.jpg -(192071B / 187.57KB, 900x554) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 192071
Let's say Marvel hires you tomorrow to fix the X-Men. (think DC Rebirth in response to the New 52)

In the current world of Marvel comics
  • Where should the X-Men -- and mutants -- be in the greater Marvel landscape? Any big picture ideas?
  • How many books (solo & team) should there be?
  • How many teams should there be in-universe?
  • What kind of writers / artists would you be hiring?
>>
Jenny Fendercocke - Sat, 18 Mar 2017 08:50:44 EST ID:KyoBGsHl No.43041 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Well, presuming Marvel unfuck their shit and own their own characters again, I'd keep them in the greater Marvel/616 universe, just sort of in their own corner, like Dr. Strange and the Punisher- you know, they only cross over when it's cool.

Then, I would keep Kate Leth, Brian Michael Bendis, Chelsea Cain, Gail Simone and Mark Millar the FUCK away from the books. Maybe take out a restraining order.

Then I'd get maybe the top 30 assholes from Deviantart, fanfic, and web comics to make the books.
I'd make them fucking read Understanding Comics, How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way, Stan Lee's five rules for writing comics, and Wally Wood's 20 Panels That Always Work.

Because you're NOT going to get pros for what you'd have to pay them, and the only bastards who will work that cheap are the political shills who have taken over Marvel and don't care if they're underpaid as long as they get to push their SJW bullshit, and don't care if they run the book and the company into the ground, because they and their supporters DON'T READ COMICS, and don't help sales.

So give it to the best of the fans and the amateurs, and pray to Thanos they can sell enough books to pay them enough to get them to stick around once they get famous.

Apart from that, I'd pretty much give the talent carte blanche, but there should always be one main X-Men book, a younger team who are still students, and Wolverine.
>>
Shit Wettingwater - Sun, 19 Mar 2017 13:11:07 EST ID:OOjubTde No.43045 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1489943467059.gif -(445830B / 435.38KB, 200x100) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>43039
Fuck them all off to a parallel universe.
Things will never change. They'll keep circlejerking the same bleak stories with the same tired characters in the same autonomous setting forever. And any time somebody tries to come along and EVOLVE things, they'll be shown the door and it'll all get reset by another House of M or IvX or whateverthefuck.
At least if they were on their own the persecution narrative Marvel just cannot goddamn let go of wouldn't be so pants on head retarded. Everybody could stay bullied and miserable forever without the 100+ other ways to randomly get powers making them a farce, or the multitude of non-mutant threats to humanity's very survival making them a godsend. When fucking FOX is putting out the most genuine philosophical drama your brand has to offer something needs fixing.
>>
Sidney Clinkinseck - Tue, 04 Apr 2017 21:44:23 EST ID:4s5UljTm No.43068 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43039
Okay, drug induced megapost incoming. Felt like talking about RessurXion. The foundation, what it's shaping up to be, how I think it's gonna do. I'd tl;dr but too much ground covered.
So I finished off IvX (very meh story with am incredibly predictable ending) as well as the final issues of the 3 x-books (thought they'd all end on 20, but apparently not). Finished X-Men Prime too. So looking to RessurXion, I'm cautiously optimistic
>Time Displaced Original 5 and The School
Firstly, my wish has been granted. They finally firmly and clearly established that the "time displaced" O5 (All New X-Men) are NOT from Earth 616 or whatever the mainstream universe is labeled as now. They are in fact from an alternate reality that was possibly destroyed in the wake of Secret Wars. That's why they haven't been able to go home and why space/time hasn't been torn asunder from the countless paradoxes keeping the young og X-Men in the present should cause. They confirmed the theory by going back in time to a battle that they missed via being time displaced the original X-Men still showed up. So now that their presence isn't as mind numbingly nonsensical, and since young Beast even said the universe corrects itself when this shit happens - which means marvel can get rid of them via universe correcting itself at any time - I don't hate them quite as much..
They also moved the Jean Grey School (formerly Xavier Institute) from Limbo to Central Park NYC. Some symbolic gesture to show they "aren't hiding anymore"

>Prime obviously was a vehicle to lay the foundation for the relaunch. Here's where it looks like they're going:
X-Men Gold is the new flagship series and clearly taking cues from 80s Claremont X-Men. Kitty Pride leads, Storm is assistant leader (they *almost* did the "muh leadership decisions led the X-Men to war boo hook I quit" cliche). Even the team is pure 80s Claremont with Old Man Logan, Nightcrawler, Colossus, etc. So it's up in the air if this is gonna be a great return to classic X-Men style, or a pile of derivative schlock. With Guggenheim or whatever writing I worry.

X-Men Blue piques my interest. It looks like it's gonna basically be very much like the original X-Factor series, but with the young alternate reality O5. Their new costumes are pretty reminiscent of the og X-Factor uniforms too. That could be neat, but at the end of the day it's still NOT MUH. Interesting to see how Magneto will factor in. Psylocke killed him in the final uncanny but someone who owed him a favor brought him back immediately

Weapon X is basically mutant Suicide Squad. Looks like a government task force went around recruiting former Weapon X subjects like Lady Deathstrike, Sabretooth, and Old Man Logan (whose in fucking everything) by force if necessary. They specifically targeted "sociopathic loners" who no one would miss and could disappear for extended periods without people asking why. Whether this agency is Weapon Plus or if they're recruiting the team in order to take on Weapon Plus is not clear.

Gen X is self explanatory. Young misfit team of mutants with "lame powers". Prime didn't really illuminate much here apart from reminding us that Jubilee still exists, is still a vampire, and is still raising that baby. They'll be based at the school, expect a lot of fucking Dawson's Creek teen drama and A METRIC FUCKTON of oh so witty quips and jokes and one liners. Teen shenanigans yaaaay.

Astonishing X-Men is the wild card. No clue what that's about. The team is damn good, we'll see if it works or just amounts to fan service. Fantomex is on that team and his last arc in Uncanny left him going deep into The World to learn its secrets. Got serious villain/morally gray antihero vibes from that, so perhaps Astonishing will involve that. But yeah Gambit, Psylocke, Bishop, Archangel, this could get interesting. Perhaps a sort of X-Force style team?

There still was no indication of where the Cable, Jean Grey, and Iceman solo books are going. I read Cable is gonna be doing the time cop thing, and Jean Grey will have a lot to do with the Phoenix Force. Since young time displaced Iceman is not actually the mainstream og Iceman, this actually calls mainstream Icemans sexually into question. Perhaps they'll cover this in his series, personally I think he should just be bisexual. I see how he's come off as gay over the years, but he still had a lot of serious straight relationships. But I still dunno how he's supposed to carry his own title.

Finally, there's fucking Old Man Logan. Because Marvel knew they couldn't crap out on killing Wolverine, but still were too scared to move forward without him.
When Secret Wars ended it was revealed that Maestro survived the events and is in the main universe, same as Logan. I don't think they've explained what the deal with that is yet. BUT there is a new limited series coming soon pitting Logan and Maestro against each other and it looks like it will answer some questions and set things right with the timelines and universes. Perhaps this is where the real Wolverine finally comes back. Either way, it's probably the end of the "Old Man Logan inexplicably in the present day mainstream time/universe" arc.
>How will the series preform
So we got some interesting concepts, some very derivative concepts, some shit concepts, and some "we need to fix our fucked up multiverse" stories coming up. Prime came out last week, tomorrow comes Gold, then next week Blue and Weapon X and so on.

Predicting Generation X is gonna flop HARD and get canceled quick. Iceman will flounder and try to limp on but ultimately get axed too. They'll probably run out of ideas for Weapon X after a few arcs and end that amicably. Astonishing will be popular and maybe be relabeled as Uncanny X-Men (this is the first time there's been no Uncanny book since they stared using that prefix in the 70s). Cable will get a low key cult following and probably end too soon, Jean Grey will be popular with the "I just pretend to read comics" Internet crowd and go on a little longer than it should. Blue and Gold will eventually get new names and relaunch with new #1s. Gold will do well enough by virtue of being the standard X-Men flagship, Blue has a good writer and may surprise us. Perhaps soon X-Men books will be worth buying again...with the success of Logan, Deadpool, and Legion perhaps they'll be brought back to the limelight in the greater comics universe
/rant
>>
Fucking Demmerbanks - Sun, 09 Apr 2017 12:46:35 EST ID:ZmdHd09P No.43077 Report Quick Reply
>>43068
As long as they dont cancell All New Wolverine, I don't give a fuck what the rest of the new books do. Its insane how the only good X book to come from the post-Bendis era is a Girl Wolverine title.
>>
Jenny Figgleworth - Sun, 09 Apr 2017 21:00:20 EST ID:/z/QdkFq No.43078 Report Quick Reply
1491786020702.jpg -(286395B / 279.68KB, 1600x900) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
LOOOOL X-Men Gold was just pulled for Muslim propoganda, the Arab artist even painted the word JEW beside Kitty Pryde's head without Marvel noticing, then references Koran passages about how Arabs should never work with Jews or Christians.
http://news.sky.com/story/marvel-pulls-comic-over-hidden-koranic-messages-10831925
>>
Martha Tillingdale - Mon, 10 Apr 2017 23:12:35 EST ID:4s5UljTm No.43079 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43078
Wow, he's so devoted to his beliefs. That's why he's drawing for a series created by two Jews, owned by a company made up almost entirely of Christians and Jews.

What a try hard little faggot. Saw some of his half assed apology where he cried about his career being over.

X-Men Gold was still pretty good tho. I was right, felt like classic X-Men but not in a pandering, fan service kind of way. Felt like a return to form.
>>
Isabella Droffingkadging - Tue, 11 Apr 2017 02:10:20 EST ID:9tbN1KZ4 No.43081 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1491891020947.jpg -(50968B / 49.77KB, 508x317) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>43079
the dumbass was posting jihadist rhetoric on facebook up until the controversy too, I didn't know he made an "apology" till I saw your post. "justice and love" lol wow. what a little bitch.
>>
Molly Bludgefoot - Tue, 11 Apr 2017 05:23:00 EST ID:2tQCdygn No.43082 Report Quick Reply
>>43081
I hadn;t seen the apology but its funny how its more him trying to justify his actions over actually apologizing. Fuck this guy. I mean, I dont like Jews or Christians either, but I also hate muslims too, especially when they act better than other religions. All religions outside whatever Alon Moore worships are equally shit.
>>
Basil Pesslepurk - Wed, 12 Apr 2017 10:26:11 EST ID:MGTrptUv No.43084 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>be an arab
>totally digging this diversty stuff. Love the new ms.marvel
>Dust is is my favorite xmen and i love her character
>local dickhead ruins everything.gif
>>
Betsy Pindlehood - Wed, 12 Apr 2017 20:55:44 EST ID:9tbN1KZ4 No.43087 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43084
luckily it wasn't a writer inserting shit so the storyline and characters weren't effected, and the outrage is entirely centered on the penciler who inserted the imagery. it can be digitally removed very easily too, and they can always get a new penciler of equal or greater skill.
>>
Henry Gimblesine - Thu, 13 Apr 2017 01:32:47 EST ID:VEuqFKdz No.43089 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1492061567613.png -(810091B / 791.10KB, 1440x2560) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>43084
Funny enough, the creator of Kamala Kahn was fuckin PISSED about this. She ripped into the guy on Twitter, was glad his career is toast.
He already drew for the next issue or two, but they had always planned to have a rotating team of artists, so I guess they can easily remove him without disrupting the series. (Unlike Doom Patrol, which is on hiatus because the artist is supposedly still drawing it)

But you know, I'm starting to think my copy of X-Men Gold #1 will be a pretty decent collectors item one day. Could net me some good money.
>>
Sophie Geggletin - Thu, 13 Apr 2017 10:56:53 EST ID:ICf/yfMY No.43090 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1492095413794.gif -(1035600B / 1011.33KB, 400x226) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
What if the x-men were lame all along and it's really the inhumans who were cool?

Seriously though, I find most of marvel impenetrable. So my call would be to tell smaller stories that require no understanding of the universe or limited series free from continuity. But I'd do the something with every Marvel character.
>>
Shit Nozzleville - Fri, 14 Apr 2017 16:45:27 EST ID:xfltTItF No.43091 Report Quick Reply
Anyone else here love X-Men Blue way more than Gold? Based Bunn once again writing the only good X-book for the third era in a row (Magneto during the Bendis era, Uncanny during the Lemire run, now this). Weapon X sucked, though.
>>
Phineas Nicklestock - Sun, 23 Apr 2017 11:28:41 EST ID:VEuqFKdz No.43098 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43091
Eh, I think they're about even. Need to wait for the first arcs to end to render that kind of judgement.

Weapon X was average, but I am interested in that new character they're bringing in. I'm guessing it's a new 616 version of Jimmy Hudson (Wolverine's son in the Ultimate universe)
It's kinda fucking stupid though, we don't need all these fucking Wolverines. Nobody wants all these Wolverines. They just want normal fucking Logan. The only reason people like X-23 is because of all the character development she had BEFORE she inexplicably decided to just be Wolverine instead of her own person.

Fucks sake, if youre gonna kill off a character, even temporarily, stick with it. Don't cop-out by making some other character randomly decide to be their successor and/or shitting out a pile of knockoff, dollar store versions of that character.
>>
Cornelius Bunway - Tue, 02 May 2017 18:50:58 EST ID:Vca921e5 No.43108 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43098
We got 2nd issues of both and I am firmly in team Blue over Gold. Blue just has more flow and feels like you get a full story per issue while still setting up a bigger arc, Chris Claremont style. Gold is too slow paced like most modern comics, two issues and one fight has barely progressed. I re-read #1 and noticed extra anti-semitism besides the hidden numbers, the artist literally used shadows to draw swastikas on Kittie Pryde's face. What a fuckhead.
Weapon X is utter shit, I will continue torrenting it and flipping through the pics incase anything happens but i stopped bothering to even read the dialogue, I just picture walk that bitch.
>>
Walter Mengermat - Wed, 10 May 2017 21:52:37 EST ID:DHG4Qdh4 No.43117 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43098
I'm honestly fine with having old man Logan and Laura around but Jimmy seems like Wolverine overkill. That and Sabretooth became a good guy for a while through some deus ex machinma bullshit. My favorite series is All new Wolverine but I don't think it's ever been part of this larger X-Men problem. I'm fine with her taking over the mantle, she makes a "bub" joke here and there but I don't think she "became wolverine". A lot of people complain about her chilling out, rightfully so IMO. I think it makes sense she would be less sociably awkward NOW but the way they just made her normal in New X-men was fucking terrible.

On the subject of Blue, I dunno how they did it but I don't actually hate this one. This is coming from a guy who HATES these time displaced original mutants. I'm not a really a fan of any of the characters but it's fun. Gold wasn't terrible or anything but ya, I actually preferred blue. Second issue of weapon X was a lot better than the first one IMO.

They aren't knocking it out of the park or anything but this Resurrection thing hasn't been complete garbage.
>>
Hugh Drungergold - Mon, 15 May 2017 07:00:47 EST ID:uowx0HkA No.43121 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43117
Neither book neccesarily has a better plot. It's just that Bunn is better at characterization, has Magneto in his roster, and also is better at making single issues of a comic feel like a full issue. Gold has the curse of very minimal dialogue per page and feeling like a gip weekly. Might be better off letting that book build up then binge reading every couple months. Blue feels like a full experience every time, not just a little snippet.
>>
Emma Sorrystone - Wed, 31 May 2017 09:32:09 EST ID:hpryQcNd No.43149 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43078
that was really unfortunate. His art was perfect for an x-men book. I think theres a nostalgic feeling among x-men fans, and I could be wrong about this but, I think theres a nostalgic feeling for a return for the LINES EVERYWHERE Lee/Portaciao/Liefeld art era that people associated the X-Men with at the height of their popularity. The dumbass had to go and fuck up a job which probably would have catapulted him into a Marvel house artist
>>
Charles Hocklestere - Fri, 02 Jun 2017 01:59:38 EST ID:NoPKT8XZ No.43151 Ignore Report Quick Reply
X-men should literally be if The Marvel universe was a picture in the top two corners and weaving down like an X and cross each other. There details in the center highlight the sa,e contention or connection they experience in knowing the,selves. And they meet as the martyr and fear that they as the manifestation of not accident/intention/superlative, or cosmic/radiation/alien, but of DNA/genetics. The uncontrollable that makes us different the heroic od of coping, not the perception of onself through the struggles of power and responsibility and loyalty and self madeness like Spider-Man. Not having to work through something that boxes you in that you box out of, not identityand category or the underdog and the chase. The youth and the dream. No the other, and perceiving yourself as it. not as outcast struggling out of categories inflated but perceived as normal, or always having had come from position of the other know going against a thr shelf that says you cannot self doubt anxiety Spiderman outcast.

The biological peripherals of the marvel universe that actually shape and hold the picture steady as well as influence it positively, by being the thing fluctuating even on a biological or even quantam level as in the dna itself. Just as they are mutants.

As they are like the literal interest but just as true in a misunderstanding they are that for fear a literal scapegoat or imagined evil for what is at the center that can't see the origin points fully at the far corners. A subject that haunts the x-men themselves. they face uncertainty that haunts individual heroes in personal crisis and isolation as collective but not always as community. As the gaze of the other but also as the realization of the other through activation or awakening of mutant powers, some handle that differently. Some become like nieztzhe and believe in an epitome or an uber for which they can strive like magneto others don't go through the extremes in process and life for the end or risk it either, instead knowing they have that future underway through a process like Socrates like Xavier.

Being the and building the constants and axioms and in a sense the shared world itself for those who have experienced.

They must always express that in their tie in to the big events they as flux have established or discovered a link or made known to either the reader or the world a way in which that uncertainty or unknown was apart of a building block or stability or heavilynfeatured aspect of the universe. Kind of like getting closer and closer to realizing your whole life is a pathos told by Wolverine's odyssey where the very realtynof that journey is questioned for Wolverine. Big events in Marvel should see that figure who has not only experienced the fluctuations of mutant ability and himself as the other in terms of animal and his journey in coping with, celebrating, and thriving with that, bit in terms of fluctuations in self awareness and transfiguration of self.

And even knowledge of that even being a thing that has happened to him. Come closer and progress. While leaving the idea of it as a future something that is as attainable as a future sought after in life. Like ones search for there roots and ones self understanding.

They should position the position of mutant truths becoming public, and experiment with the dominant or fixed point of view outside the nexus or climax being developed through this.

As well as the locus moving from the norm to the periphery itself as in not just emphasis but for the marvel universe itself.

The X men should be the marvel universe mind altering substance or the less other side of history, in more ways than one. Not only have they been the great full dead and been to the dark side of the moon they have literally been every public enemy number one categorization of narediowell hood and exploitation of fear of being affected or becoming different from reality within the marvel u.

So they have both experienced time travel, seen the higher realms, know about inner peace, and life's full circles and have experienced loss of identity, amnesia, slavery, time lapse, a time lines ended, disease, being hunted, facing apocalypse, civil war, being listed as a disease, being categorized poorly by the world public enemy number one and more.

There should be as many books as there were at there height because they haven't resolved the changes that occurred when they actually did split although the story moved past. Kind of like how Spidey did marry Mary Jane and the avengers really did from the over arcing story change teams over the years, the x-men became different books by narratives teased out over twenty years of Claremont and then even more from differing writers on the books that in turn would spin off. Until bendis and house of m.

The varying books and teams happened out f one long narrative that you could jump in and out of despite being that dense. That's because the open story of x-men's world allowed for that in the mystery of what happened to the morlocks becoming an element of Gambits past.Or Angel becoming becoming archangel. The old love fair of colossus and kitty pride was just as important as the new love affair of colloids and kitty pride, and served ti without that being the reason it was done see shadow cat into adulthood. The x-force spun out of the new mutants and Cables disagreement with Xavier, and Excalibur and gen x served as the felt recognitions of the need for Nightcrawler and Jubllee to lave there home town. While we were still reading there hometown and dealt with that change.

So seeing Cable be that different and seeing the disagreements between books unfold over months a distinction would emerge n clarity even if the history of Cable was that long.

He was still that anchored because of the natural but open context of all that x men so much of it that they wanted to contract it. Cable recovered through The enduring relationship with Wade. However the split between the x men being small isn't necessarily the central issue. It's kind of like the same kind of detail of peter and mj in spider man, the books continue with the shadow of the idea the mutants finding there place in the world.

And the quiet confounded continuity aside from timel travel of jean grey's thirteen year abscence.
>>
Cedric Brummlepick - Sat, 03 Jun 2017 20:25:14 EST ID:VEuqFKdz No.43157 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43151
You are way, WAY to high to be posting right now.
I can't even begin to decipher what the fuck that gibberish is supposed to be saying. Honestly I can't quite tell if this monstrosity is the result of the poster smoking a ton of meth or dropping half a sheet of LSD
>>
Phineas Middleforth - Wed, 07 Jun 2017 13:50:58 EST ID:NoPKT8XZ No.43169 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43157
That's right, people like reading these kind of comments mr readibility.
>>
genophyte - Sat, 10 Jun 2017 07:43:13 EST ID:cVCXXNny No.43174 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43169
haha this wall of text is 99% what i do on /mtv/ but i remember im baked so i never hit the post button
>>
Cornelius Drungerspear - Sun, 11 Jun 2017 09:40:08 EST ID:tr7vmDZR No.43180 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43151
I am a very infrequent /616/ lurker but I just wanted to say that I have been in a dry spell for about a year and knowing that a guy somewhere got this high has made my day nb despite the SLAYER though.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.