420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Starting into fitness general by Sidney Nicklewire - Sun, 15 Mar 2015 14:30:02 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90669 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1426444202009.jpg -(25252B / 24.66KB, 540x375) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 25252
https://fitloop.co/routines/bwf-beginner-routine
Do this, for at least 1 week, best for 2, and obviously if this is challenging stick with it more.

eatthismuch.com - track your food, much better than myfitnesspal or other calorie trackers, has comprehensive search engine
if you want to track, just clear the pre-made list on the website, and then search for foods and track them in the cleared list

>TDEE
http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

find out how many calories you burn, find out your BMR (choose 0 activity)
and then figure out your calories burned either by choosing an activity level, or googling how many calories are lost per X (bodyweight, running, jump roping) for Y time and add it to your BMR.
It's easier to use the activity setting on the calc, but it does over estimate the expenditure

>bulk
+500 calories to BMR/calculated diet
>cut
  • 500 calories to BMR/calculated diet

If you are skinny af, bulking will be your best option as losing weight just to gain it back for gaining muscle will be pointless

Once you have a base of muscle, then you can cut depending on your goals

>lifitng more
find some starting strength routine after the bodyweight one, and then ask for a powerlifting one
>getting big
I recommend working on lifting more on the main lifts like a powerlifter while at the same time, doing hypertrophy training on the accessory work
Avoid overtraining! You dont need to do 50 different chest exercises
>fokkin zyzz brah
work on the main lifts as above, but aim for different rep ranges
work on creating a shoulder: waist ratio, work on abs, dont ignore other both parts, just emphasize that build
>cardio
HIIT (high intensity interval training) is the best, has the best gH response, best epinepherine and norepinpeherine response, burns more calories in a shorter amount of time
you can do this with a bike, jump rope, running, jacking off, whatever
start with X sprint, and then Y rest period
slowly increase X and decrease Y as your cardio gets better

I recommend jump roping or sprinting to get your calves stronk

Anyone can contribute? Contribute?
This look like shit? Tell me how Im wrong.
This is to help all those that want to start and come here and either start a thread or dont start a thread

>BWG
bump the Bump while (post gym) glow thread!

tell us what you hit, what numbers, and how you feel!
>>
Sidney Nicklewire - Sun, 15 Mar 2015 14:32:50 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90670 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90669
>cut
(subtract) -500 calories to bmr/calculated diet
>>
Sidney Nicklewire - Sun, 15 Mar 2015 14:36:08 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90671 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>have an injury!?
post about it, Im a certified professional doing my job for free, and there are other professionals here, were just giving as best advice as we can give via the inernet, do this at your own risk

We'll try and help you if you have an injury

If you want help with form, either videotape yourself with your phone in the gym, or start youtubing form videos
>>
Wesley Sandleson - Mon, 16 Mar 2015 03:44:35 EST ID:MWBNJCIq No.90677 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90671

I think I strained the rotator cuff strand that runs under my trap, clavical, and front delt from flaring my shoulder out too wide when doing a one armed dumbbell overhead tricep extension. It isn't sharp pain and my range of morion isn't decreased, but it's like a dull ache that sometimes feels numb. It isn't any weaker as far as I can tell, so maybe it was just a slight strain? What do you think?
>>
Augustus Dannercocke - Mon, 16 Mar 2015 11:58:29 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90682 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1426521509718.jpg -(20063B / 19.59KB, 535x377) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>90677
http://ahn.mnsu.edu/athletictraining/spata/shouldermodule/specialtests.html

Do these and tell me how they go

My educated guess would be, you do your OVERHEAD press outside of the scapular plain. I.E. you do it in line with your head and neck instead of having your arms 30 degrees out from your chest. Pic related.

When you do OHP "locking out" or hyperextension of the elbows and shoulders is recommended, but for now stay away from it for a solid week.

If you want to, for sure, avoid injury (as your injury is more of a overuse-wearing down injury) take a week off of upper body.
Only do rotatorcuff exercises, which include taking a rubber resistance band (dont use cable weights or try doing it standing up, you dont do jack shit if you do it with a freeweight standing up)
>>
Augustus Dannercocke - Mon, 16 Mar 2015 11:59:26 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90683 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1426521566718.gif -(11345B / 11.08KB, 401x500) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>90682
anyway take the resistance band, have it at above your waist, and then have your elbow at your side where it stays and you do a motion with your hands pulling the resistance band like youre clapping your tummy with your elbow still staying in the same spot.

Turn your body 180 and do the same thing but as if you are giving a backhand to a midget with your elbow still at your side

pic is guide
>>
Augustus Dannercocke - Mon, 16 Mar 2015 12:03:19 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90684 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90683
*clap your belly with your hands with your elbow in the same spot
>>
Martin Murdgold - Tue, 17 Mar 2015 01:05:48 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90688 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90682
if my guess is correct, you probably press in the frontal plane, or ohp in the frontal plane.

This would cause your rotator cuff to basically be in a terrible position and wear down over time
taht dull feeling is it wearing down, so Id stop until it goes away

ambition is the number one cause of injuries in the gym

yay hitting upperbody only for a week due to hip bursitis!
>>
James Duddleweck - Tue, 31 Mar 2015 23:53:34 EST ID:oNEP0B0q No.90816 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90671
i was doing stand to floor back bridges one day about a year ago and i felt a pop in the top of my thigh about where all my thigh muscles attach to the front part of my pelvis right above my junk . No pain or anything on movement, so i ceased these for a couple months, focusing on bodyweight exercises without the core work. I started doing deadlifts and squats a couple months ago and started feeling pain in the area i felt the pop, and have ceased these exercises. I want to start deadlifting/squatting again, but I don't want to risk further damage. im guessing its scar tissue now, so are there any exercises for the pelvic girdle similar to the ones used to strengthen the shoulder girdle? or should i stick to stretching and warming up with just the bar? I currently have no pain or restriction of mobility in my leg (though my only test for this is that i can kiss my knee while standing on one leg), and i can do bodyweight squats with no problems.
>>
Nigger Nallerkotch - Wed, 01 Apr 2015 22:32:42 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90827 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90816
Go get an MRI

NExt time you have a pain like that go to the doctor.

Did the pop bring any noticible change, tenderness, or pain to the area you felt it?
how small was the point?
Did it cause any other pain or discomfort?
How was the body weight routine affected? Did you feel it then too?
My hips pop all the fucking time when I do full extension (what you just described) but thats because I have chronic bursitis in my hips

And for strengthening your hips, stick with the flexability routine, provided you have a kneeling lunge and figure 4 stretch as well as other hip stretches

for gaining mobility do this exercise

>dog pissers (dont ask)
  • on hands and knees
  • raise leg up like your a dog pissing on a fire hydrant
  • do this 20 times 3 sets, both legs, make sure arms stay straight and back is perfectly at 90 with your arms and unwavering

>Exercise which name I have forgotten
  • same stance as above
-raise leg same as above
-make circular motion with hips, clockwise and counter clickwise, 10 reps, 3 sets, each leg
  • make sure you are doing a circle within a circle, or a spiral for a better word.

>fuck bodyweight exercise names I fucking know what they are, names are pointless!
-same stance as above
-kick leg back with heel parralel to the wall behind you
  • at the same time as the kick, extend the opposite arm (kicking with left leg, extending right arm straight out)
  • alternate legs for 20 reps, 3 sets

that should hep with hip mobility, but Im just saying, if you described that to me at my work, I would be legally forced to send you to get medical clearance, it might be overkill but...drink more water at a minimum

also I do these three exercises for myself before any deadlift or squat day or riding my bike haha
>>
Nigger Nallerkotch - Wed, 01 Apr 2015 22:34:53 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90828 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90827
oh yeah

has the pain limited range a motion, does it feel "weird" in different positions, is it worse after sleep, worse after certain activities, does it make one leg look different than the other in anyway?

next time you walk, make anote to check your gait (how you walk)
>>
Beatrice Clurrynack - Wed, 01 Apr 2015 23:51:29 EST ID:oNEP0B0q No.90829 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90827
>Did the pop bring any noticible change, tenderness, or pain to the area you felt it?
no pain, no change or tenderness, no bruising
>how small was the point?
only way i could describe it was as though i snapped the tip of a pencil in my pants pocket
>Did it cause any other pain or discomfort?
no noticeable pain at the time. my doctor at the time thought i might have gotten a hernia but he poked around my lower abdominals and ruled that out.
>How was the body weight routine affected? Did you feel it then too?
i actually did feel pain now that i think back. 1 leg squats would hurt afterwards (when i progressed to them about a month or two after the incident) squats with both legs didn't hurt
i am going to make an appointment with my doctor right now, including this entire response lol, and will stick to standard bodyweight squats after stretching, am going to include kneeling lunges (1/yr of age ive heard is a good # to go with) +figure 4 stretches
>has the pain limited range a motion
when i feel it i can move my leg but it hurts to lift my foot off the ground, massaging the area helps
>does it feel "weird" in different positions
day to day my leg does not feel weird or difficult to move, only when stressed with heavier than usual weight (full bodyweight on one leg, 200+ lbs deadlift)
>is it worse after sleep, worse after certain activities, does it make one leg look different than the other in anyway?
feels better after sleep. I only felt the pain after ~6 1 leg squats and all deadlifting (200+ lbs), and both my legs look fairly symmetric when i look at them in the mirror, though my left calf is larger than my right. I never experience any bruising, reddening of area, inflammation, etc. im gonna go walk in front of a mirror for a while to check my gait
>>
Nigger Nallerkotch - Thu, 02 Apr 2015 01:53:11 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90830 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90829
kneeling lunge was a stretch
you are stretching your top of your thigh at your hip by leaning forward and flexing your glute while having the leg back propped on a couch or something

>I can move my leg but it hurts to move my foot off the ground
uhh
give me more details on that, lift off the ground at what range of motion? Describe it from sitting, knees bent
standing
sitting legs straight
tell me which one fucks with you

in fact, do those first before that kneeling stretch and then tell me how that stretch feels
>>
Nigger Nallerkotch - Thu, 02 Apr 2015 01:54:15 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90831 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90830
oh shit
also tell me if it hurts when
kicking foot back to ass flexing ham, or raising leg to your side while keeping your hips body and toes facing forward
>>
Nigger Nallerkotch - Thu, 02 Apr 2015 01:55:37 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90832 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90831
I also like how I can effectively do my 45/h job on the internet for free.
for fun.
Im so overpaid
future is internet
>>
Nigel Muzzlefid - Thu, 02 Apr 2015 21:32:25 EST ID:oNEP0B0q No.90839 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90830
it was from the finishing position in the deadlift that it would hurt, to the point that i would rather rise to a full stand on one leg with the left leg maintaining the deadlift finish position and then slowly dropping the leg down (vs extension of the leg from the deadlift finish position into a stand). i'm currently not in any pain, and can move my legs in all the specified motions with no issues.
my doctor has decided to take a 45 day sabbatical, so I'll keep you posted re: any new pain.
(also 45/hr whoa what degrees/certifications do i need to get to do what you do???)
>>
Ebenezer Dinningfield - Thu, 02 Apr 2015 22:42:26 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90840 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90839
>doctor taking a 45 day sabbatical
sounds like every fucking doctor ever, get a referral to another, 45 days and no replacement?

Im also doing internships for physical therapy but they all make 45/h
>>
Nigel Muzzlefid - Fri, 03 Apr 2015 00:19:50 EST ID:oNEP0B0q No.90843 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90840
His temp replacement told me to wait for my doctor to come back. I switched doctors entirely instead lol
>>
Ebenezer Dinningfield - Fri, 03 Apr 2015 02:57:47 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90845 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90843
"oh a medical thing? can you wait 45 days? thanks" go fuck yourself is what I would say, fucking doctors
>>
Cyclefag !/0zDf4XGQM - Sat, 04 Apr 2015 21:32:28 EST ID:UDFEhTMx No.90854 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Is this just a USA thing?
I live in Australia and used to live in the UK and only have positive experiences with doctors
>>
Walter Fisslekag - Sun, 05 Apr 2015 00:46:52 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90855 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90854
Doctors are rich and can take vacations all the time
theyre good for only three things
>golf
>worst calligraphy awards
>getting you drugs that cure symptoms

It could be a correlation, but after Obama care affecting their pay, and insurance companies, they've all been throwing hissy fits in the form of not giving a shit, everywhere I go, my friends have it too.

Ive literally googled the drug they wanted to give it to me, and gone "there's a contraindication...there's another... I specifically asked if it did X and you said it didnt, it says it does it here on the manufacturers website..."

So basically, research your own shit on your own, helps if you have a good understanding of the human body and shit too.

I came in one time for back inflammation, they just threw codeine at me.

I went in for anxiety, xanax.

I went in for attention problems, adderal.

You dont even have to walk in, you can call a hotline for my insurance and ask for a stronger drug, they set a cut off limit that you are told about, but you have to try one day of each one before they up your dose.

I could get hydro 3 right now for my back disorder but fuck opioids
>>
Walter Fisslekag - Sun, 05 Apr 2015 14:46:30 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90856 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90854
Hey man, I know you have good experience with training and I have a question or two, if you dont mind

1. Most clients give me a shitty goal of "toned". I just ask them if they want to lift more, get big, or look good for summer. They often dont stick to it if I dont say "this is toning this" during every exercise. It works now, but I find it odd that I have to tell them whats doing what. Any experience with that?

2. I have them work up from body weight, stability, postural, and have them move into free weights where I usually do a Push/Pull/Legs or Upper/Lower (depending on if they bought 2 or 3 days a week) with all the core lifts, works great for results, but they often complain about it being...boring, but they also say they like the results.
So if its a squat day, Ill have them do curls in a superset after squats and that makes it more "Exciting". Its like putting sugar around medicine. any experience with that? I dont understand, if they get the results they want what are they complaining about lol? ( I only adjust the routine based on their issues, goals or where their weaknesses are, but they want some crossfit level excitement)

3. all of my coworkers (commercial gym) are all DYEL, have their clients do bad form on DL and squat, thats all they have them do as far as free weight then have them do machines. They say my usage of freeweights is "a liability issue" but all my clients...out lift them now.
How do you suggest I avoid conflict, especially when this person is a superior?
>>
Cyclefag !/0zDf4XGQM - Sun, 05 Apr 2015 22:37:39 EST ID:UDFEhTMx No.90860 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90856
  1. Tell them! Most people are clueless. Squats will make your legs, ass, hips and stomach look good. Make sure they understand that! Then they will do them, especially as they start seeing results. It's ignorance, not stupidity so it's best to educate

2. Yeah teach them to move and breathe first. You can still mix in bb work with this. That way they start to look good even when they are still learning to move. I generally train athletes so the boredom part is hard for me really. But if they are not training for anything then have them rotate exercises. You can have them do goblet squats with leg press one week, or back squats and hamstrings curls the next. They don't need a big squat, just to get the work in, so use as many exercises as possible

3. Definitely not my area lol. Office politics bore me, and I spent 3 month replacing a dudes lunchbox with a Dora the Explorer one because he sent an email to my manager saying that I'd moved his lunchbox to a different part of the fridge
>>
Ian Cittinggold - Mon, 06 Apr 2015 12:39:40 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90861 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90860
>1. I do, I love educating them, but I have some old assholes that are like "Im paying for your knowledge not to learn" so Im like "uh okay" and proceed without telling them in depth shit.

>2. Im training people that used to be athletes and people whose law firm/marketing company/desk job insurance pays for me to train them, so theyre not that...enthusiastic
Except for a few guys that are fucking thrilled when they deadlifted more than they ever thought they could in a year haha they made faster progress than I did when I started... tfw

>3. HAHAHAHA complaining about moving your food?

The most shit I get is when I ask an indepth question, they think Im trying to belittle or make them feel inferior (these are all women)
or the guys just go for the "Im bigger than you, Im leaner than you, I lift more than you" shotgun in a fishbarrel type claim and then I...usually surpass them
>>
Ali Niggerfolder - Thu, 09 Apr 2015 10:56:47 EST ID:wtN4ZA8A No.90891 Ignore Report Quick Reply
http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/why-women-should-not-train-like-men/ Do you agree w/ this?
>>
Sidney Fabberwadge - Thu, 09 Apr 2015 11:10:30 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90892 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90891
From first glance, I would have to start by saying there is a huge differences in how womens and mens metabolic, endocrine, and muscular systems work.

We're barely scratching the surface in the differences

for example, I know men can drink milk post workout and be totally fine, but with women it actually does some negative shit. This is just 2 studies with <100 women, though.

We still have much research to do on the differences and I wouldnt be surprised if women's training were completely different.

However, on the basic basic basic way their muscles work, they will still see strength gains and hypertrophy if they train the same way a guy does.

Ill address the article point by point

1. Yes, completely agree. I only ask my clients to carb up if they want to gain muscle, and they up fat intake to lose fat. I do have them usually average 100g less carbs when they have a higher carb diet, as compared to a male.

2. Depends on the goals of the client and what they want to achieve.
My clients have seen great results from never going above 8 reps and my gf is lifting more and more and getting really... curvy from doing heavy strength training over hypertrophy.
However, when she wants to slim down and cut Ill switch her over to a higher rep scheme

3. Actually Ive never encountered this except through experiences, I always wondered why men would fry faster than women, My gf has never done a deload and she's gone from hardly lifting the bar to two plate in a year, and she says after her workouts I have for her, she usually does 2 extra accessories and I remember when I started lifting and doing a similar routine and not being able to do that.
Ill research this further but great article.

4. Yeah, but you can train a woman's CNS to be more efficient, but its pretty accurate.

5. I disagree, HIIT has shown clients not only lose weight faster but keep it off and make strength gains moreso than those that didnt do HIIT

steady state cardio increases cortisol which makes you a flabby distance runner, the amount of women I know that do steady state everyday and look like shit is laughable

6. Men do just as well with a "slower" lifting tempo
everyone knows slower rep means youre doing more work over a longer amount of time
Kinda weird to associate it with women

7. I have no experiences or knowledge on this and cant say anything, will look into it more

8. same thing as above, although I do think my clients and gf are usually restless between sets.
Will look into this more.

9. yeah this is weirdly true, but only though anecdotal experiences.

my gf does (X= lifting, y = pole class)
X rest X Y X Y rest
she does deadlift, pole, squat, pole and she doesnt complain about being too sore or over fatigued.
this is just a correlation, Ill look into it more.

Thanks for the article and sorry I only know or have experiences with 50% of them haha
>>
Matilda Fuckabiss - Sat, 11 Apr 2015 17:53:32 EST ID:wtN4ZA8A No.90912 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Is it true you either train for strength OR hypertrophy? If true and you're just starting out, which is best aimed for first?
>>
Martha Barryshaw - Sat, 11 Apr 2015 18:09:50 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90913 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90912
To put it simply, you aren't going to get big by lifting small, you have to lift big to get big (also you have to eat and sleep big *Tim Allen Grunts*).

After you build a strength base, assuming you are starting out like you said, it would be more advantageous to stick to strength training so that you are able to move more weight around at higher reps later.

To break it down,1-5 reps are for strength and power, which would require you to push as much as you can (70-90% of what you can lift once) for 1-5 reps. The result is strength gains and limited hypertrophy, Your muscles will still get larger. However, once you go from 8-12 reps, muscular hypertrophy (getting bigger) happens at a faster rate than if you were to do 1-5 reps. This is because after you utilize your first energy system of ATP for the first 30 seconds of reps (usally 1-5), you end up using anaerobic glycolysis afterwards going above 5 reps, which if you create a higher demand for that energy system your body will adapt by creating not only strength hypertrophy, but increasing glycogen stores, which if you have more glycogen stores, the bigger your muscles are. Also, if you do 5 reps and then step it up to 6, it isnt going to make a world of a difference, but going from 5 reps to 12 would. Anything past 12, and some argue anything past 10 reps, is working endurance muscles which dont stimulate glycogen storage, but this is still debated. Im pretty sure Cyclefag would disagree or uphold on minor details in this paragraph. It also depends on the person too. I digress.

but like I said, if you want to maximize "getting bigger" it would be easier to move a lot of weight at 5 reps and then once you get to a high enough weight (this is debatable and can be determined based on your body type, VERY roughly) on 1-5 reps, you can try and advance to doing the same weight or slightly less weight at 6-10(or 12).

If you started at working at 12 reps, you would get minimal glycogen storage and hypertrophy because, well youre not moving that much weight around.

To roughly guessimate, you want to be able to overhead press 150, bench 225, squat 300, for strength, then tone it down by switching routines by doing, OHP 130 for 12 reps, bench 200 for 10 reps, squat 275 for 10 reps etc and youll get big.

This is primarily why most people getting into lifting start with "Starting Strength" routines.

I could talk for hours, but theres nothing stopping you from training for strength after Starting STrength and doing accessory (lifts taht arent the main lifts which are OHP, squat, bench, deadlift) at higher rep ranges to get the middle ground.

Ignoring high rep ranges will diminsh strength for strength routines, ignoring low rep ranges will kill strength for hypertrophy routines... so you have to do both after Starting Strength

Also, you dont have to do deadlifts more than 5 reps, at least to minimize injury.

If Im over your head or I didnt clarify just ask again with a clearer question
>>
Martha Barryshaw - Sat, 11 Apr 2015 18:13:14 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90914 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90913
also note
>To roughly guessimate, you want to be able to overhead press 150, bench 225, squat 300, for strength, then tone it down by switching routines by doing, OHP 130 for 12 reps, bench 200 for 10 reps, squat 275 for 10 reps etc and youll get big.

those numbers are not accurate, should not be followed, and transitioning from routine to routine based on your goals will differ per person.

I jsut say this, because if youre long term goal is to get bigger, this is the most efficient way to do so, basically lift heavy for a year then switch to hypertrophy. That first year will be discouraging because youll be lifiting a fuck tone and wont look it, haha, but youre in the gym for YOURSELF and not anyone else

unless you are there for someone else, and then Id point you to /qq/
>>
Ali Niggerfolder - Sun, 12 Apr 2015 07:03:28 EST ID:wtN4ZA8A No.90921 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90892
Thanks! This is really interesting. The medical studies are there but do you think that there could be just as solid conflicting information? For example I wonder why he recommends women steady state cardio over HIIT based on the science when really that doesn't seem to benefit women. Isn't that cherrypicking?

When you say they'll gain strength and hypertrophy on the basic basic level do you mean they'll gain even more orienting their routines to fit their biology?
>>
Jenny Pipperwater - Sun, 12 Apr 2015 14:00:08 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90922 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90921
women are capable of doing steady state cardio more efficiently than males, but it all depends on the goal that person has.
If she wants fat loss, HIIT would be better.
If she wants to be better at her cardiovascular conditioning, then do long distance. The two arent seperate, but they kind of are.

Long distance cardio ups cortisol so much that its not worth it.

And when I said they'll gain hypertrophy, the difference is just glycogen really. There are other factors but bigger muscles are stronger myofilaments and glycogen stores.

"their biology", I dont understand what you mean by that, but some people could have different muscles with fast twitch:slowtwitch:intermediate that would be different than the next guy, but there are general %'s of those types of muscles that can be applied to people, generally. Unless you want to dish out thousands of dollars to get people to take cross sections of your muscles to determine which type they have and even then specifically training them would be pointless because you can train them all anyway.

just to clarify, you can get big by doing a hypertrophy routine, but to get big off of it, you have to move big weight around. It is easier to focus on lifting heavier weight and then transitioning into moving that weight differently (higher reps) to get "bigger", because the strength gains from hypertrophy routines are slower than a strength routine, without sounding redundant.
>>
Jenny Pipperwater - Sun, 12 Apr 2015 14:03:43 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90923 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90922
>Long distance cardio ups cortisol so much that its not worth it.
this is also coming from a guy that averages 20 miles+ on a bicycle a day while training for strength, and Im seeing how my squat gains have suffered.
Dont do any cardio fasted, not even once!
>>
Ali Niggerfolder - Mon, 13 Apr 2015 06:59:44 EST ID:wtN4ZA8A No.90926 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90922
OK, good info. By their biology I just mean the differences between women and men and how they might affect training like the article purports. Do you think the article is best followed for women, that implementing some of the points will significantly improve results for hypertrophy and strength in women, or that women should just train like guys because they'll see results doing that regardless?
>>
Isabella Blogglelock - Mon, 13 Apr 2015 12:09:41 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90928 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90926
The differences between men and women and training differences outside the correlational points made in that article (that were also conflicting, lol) are so under-studied that you'd be a pioneer, but youde also be Jesus by letting your gains die on the metaphorical cross for the scientific revelations for many. And then again, youde be one person without variable control. Do what you want, but if you train like a dude (with higher volume though) you'll be fine. Just make sure to eat enough sleep enough and dont train too much.
>>
Ali Niggerfolder - Mon, 13 Apr 2015 16:10:21 EST ID:wtN4ZA8A No.90932 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90928
OK, cool, thank you person. You think 3-4 days weight training is good for women too or you think they can deal with more or no? If too much, what about twice a day (3-4 days a week)? I mean I'm just gonna do it the guy's way with more volume like you said but I wonder.
>>
Cedric Wirringstid - Tue, 14 Apr 2015 02:35:08 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90939 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90932
3-4 is fine. If youre staring stick with 3.

Twice a day is for people who meticulously plan their volume over the span of a day so you show up, do 30 minutes, come back and do accessories, and see differing results, or people on steroids.

However, this is related to males. I do not know if women could handle it better.
If you are just starting, then nah.

If you truly wonder I want you to be my guinea pig and see. Let us discover together.
>>
geordil !a9/xSFGvns - Tue, 14 Apr 2015 08:41:54 EST ID:2M5ZXIRJ No.90943 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90939
the chicks that I've trained with who did two a days never seemed to handle it quite as well as the dudes. That being said, none of them were as dedicated either. They always ended up missing sessions or not taking care of themselves so they trained all shitty.
>>
Cedric Wirringstid - Tue, 14 Apr 2015 14:28:47 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90944 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90943
Ive had the opposite, Im getting one chick that has the potential to do BB but she's so afraid of getting bulky so I have her do very low shoulder volume, just enough to fix her scapular winging
>>
geordil !a9/xSFGvns - Tue, 14 Apr 2015 15:19:00 EST ID:2M5ZXIRJ No.90950 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90944
I'm talking about training 10-12 sessions per week for strength sports. I'm not sure I understand your comment. It doesn't sound like she is determined to succeed or doing high training volume.
>>
Cedric Wirringstid - Tue, 14 Apr 2015 15:52:58 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90954 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90950
She threw the idea out there so might as well encourage it after she gets through a beginner routine, each person is an individual and unrelated to your anecdotal experience.
>>
geordil !a9/xSFGvns - Tue, 14 Apr 2015 16:35:48 EST ID:2M5ZXIRJ No.90962 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90954
I know for a fact that there are women out there with more dedication and drive for sports than everyone on this board combined could ever muster. I just haven't met any of them. The ones that walk into the gym tend to not handle intense training well.
>>
Esther Sellysure - Tue, 14 Apr 2015 20:28:27 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90967 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90962
Another proof of simple logic you fail to use.
If someone has the motivation to work hard, encourage it and let them try it.

If you tell them "you're not going to do it because Ive never seen anyone with that much dedication" you'll discourage their motivation, which should never be in a fitness board or anything regarding fitness, it's all around negative and as cancerous as your lifting and nutrition advice. Straight out of /fit/.
>>
geordil !a9/xSFGvns - Tue, 14 Apr 2015 21:52:24 EST ID:2M5ZXIRJ No.90973 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90967
Man I never said I wouldn't encourage someone. You said "However, this is related to males. I do not know if women could handle it better." and I just talked about all the chicks I have met who couldn't handle it. Don't put words in my mouth.
>>
Kines !!Qmjirwc/ - Wed, 15 Apr 2015 01:37:26 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90978 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90973
Im just for encouraging it man, you statements obviously implied that the person should or couldn't do it.
Those words were in there when I grabbed em Gary
>>
geordil !a9/xSFGvns - Wed, 15 Apr 2015 07:51:44 EST ID:v7VACc4e No.90982 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90978
Man I don't even know where you're going with this one so okay I guess
>>
Ali Niggerfolder - Wed, 15 Apr 2015 10:14:38 EST ID:KkkVaCCT No.90984 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Is it possible to sculpt the body over periods of time as to look like how you want, not just bigger everywhere? I've seen The Strength Training Anatomy for example but wouldn't know how to implement it.

I'd think that because women's muscles are more resistant to damage that eventually doing, consistently, high intensity, 6-8 reps 'til failure, 4-6 sets would peak strength gains (and hypertrophy). I don't understand how a woman could gain much hypertrophy doing only high volume, low intensity unless over years and years. I wonder if it is self-fulfilling to tell women their biology means they've little muscular potential and are endurance-inclined so should train "to their advantages" which means neglecting hypothetically-actual muscular potential (by lifting like their muscles are as prone to damage as men's so low intensity, high volume will impact as beneficially as the opposite, and using steady state cardio). The article just seems to be saying that the average women can work more efficiently over extended periods, as if extended periods have an accumulative baring on results (logic being something like 1+1=2, but 0.5+0.5+0.5+0.5=2 also)... but how can that be really true if this is?:

"The growth stimulus cannot be directly related to quantity of exercise effort or bodybuilders would see better and better results for every additional hour they spent training."

I might have it all wrong...

As for two-a-day splits, what about intensity; can people (intermediates) go harder for the upper and lower if they're separated? Is the whole point of planning a day's work meticulously the rests in-between each workout?
>>
Kines !!Qmjirwc/ - Wed, 15 Apr 2015 13:32:01 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.90985 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90984
To get this summarized, you mean do different rep ranges that avoid direct hypertrophy and do lower/higher rep ranges that gain hypertrophy over a slower amount of time?

I think that would apply to lower rep ranges of 1-5 because you will get bigger from lifting bigger, but for most people its bigger than they imagine.
Unless your samoan, philipino, chinese, african american, as they have large builds and hip/shoulder structures, you'll "look bigger" faster than if you were some slender genetically gifted japanese girl
But, youde have to REALLY REALLY TRY to get big. I mean this in, you have maybe at max 100mgnl of test being a woman.
Men who have 250-1000 ngml testosterone TRY super hard to get big and most of them fail if they dont have the right training, eating, or sleeping.

Assuming your a woman, you just want to steer away from having a large shoulder frame and lat (back) spread, right?
I have clients that are afraid of that and I just have them work max 5 reps on bench, ohp, and 6-8 on rows and back workouts.
This is just my anecdotal experience and assuming your a woman.
Always feels weird to me to ignore a part of the body for the sake of being afraid of seeing its potential.
>>
Phyllis Brollerchit - Sat, 18 Apr 2015 16:27:20 EST ID:dW0yPiGZ No.91030 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>>90985
Not quite. I had in mind strength and hypertrophy gains = doing high intensity (80-86% 1RM) because what's considered high enough intensity to gain hypertrophy applies to men (way more testosterone, muscles damage easier) with women as afterthought.

Summary, in women maybe consistently training to failure can encourage quicker hypertrophy instead of mostly just strength like in men...

I'm a woman, but that doesn't personally change my goals, just how I may achieve them. I've precisely the same standards of aesthetic for bodybuilder men and bodybuilder women. I like Pauline Nordin's physique... less in most photos, more on most film where you can really see her aesthetic, like sat here: youtube.com/watch?v=Y-abDqiN1AQ

What do you think of this?: youtube.com/watch?v=dq6PzO6BBbc
>>
Cedric Blennerdale - Sat, 18 Apr 2015 17:46:05 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.91032 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>91030
I find its better to train for strength in compound lifts and do hypertrophy/higher volume on accessory. You could limit the accessory for high weight for strength gains or do more accessory work at lighter weight but the same rep ranges for looking good.

Training to failure isn't what I meant by women could handle more volume. Volume is weight x reps x sets. Basically how much weight you are moving around. Women can handle more, but at the same time they are weaker, for lack of a better term, in that they dont lift as much. They also recover pretty well too.
That's about all I know so far, and research is just scratching the surface. Ill update the thread with any relevant knowledge that I think you'd like.

Durian is a troll or mentally retarded, pick one and never listen to him.
>>
Phyllis Brollerchit - Sat, 18 Apr 2015 18:54:58 EST ID:dW0yPiGZ No.91035 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>91032
I know you didn't mean higher volume = women can train to failure. The article also says women aren't as explosive so can't handle high intensity like men can, but I figure women should do high intensity (at low volumes) to make up for their muscles being harder to damage which might stimulate strength and hypertrophy quicker than if they trained as if their muscles were as easy to damage as men's by doing men's routines.

Can women work to lifting as much, relative to bodyweight?

Durian is a troll but I do wonder about people like Pauline Nordin using stimulants and whether their bodies are actually achievable naturally.
>>
Kines !!Qmjirwc/ - Thu, 23 Apr 2015 14:17:24 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.91073 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90669
Just for Hench

>Day A

Deadlift 1x5
Single Arm DB row 5x10
Hyperextentions 3x10
Facepulls 3x10
Pulls ups 3x10
BB curls reverse grip 3x10-1210-12
Fire Hydrants (on hands and knees, lift leg up like youre a dog pissing on a fire hydrant, 3x10 each leg)
Trains I dont know the name but imagine your leg is like that thing on a train (same position as a fire hydrant, but do clockwise and counter clockwise circles with a larger circle going into a smaller one, like a spiral, 3x10 each leg)

>Day B

BB Bench 5x5
Dips (legs bent, on bench) 5x10
Overhead Press 5x10
Skull Crushers 3x10
DB pullovers 3x10
Rotater cuff exercises as seen here: (http://boards.420chan.org/ana/src/1426521566718.gif)

>Day C
Squat 5x5
Split Squat (get balance first so bw) (its also called Bulgarian split squat)
Laying down Ham Curls
Standing Calf Raise 3x12-16
Seated Calf Raise 3x12-16
Fire Hydrants
Trains

AXBXCXX
X=Rest
Easily done on Mon Weds Fri

As for cardio, get a 7$ speed rope, do a 15 second bout of as fast as you can, rest for 45, do it 20 times. If that felt too easy do the same thing with 30seconds/30 seconds.

We'll play with your diet later
>>
Kines !!Qmjirwc/ - Thu, 23 Apr 2015 14:20:05 EST ID:NVUz7zhS No.91074 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>91073
Oh for the exercises I didnt mention sets and reps just do 3x10 nb
>>
Charles Crissleshit - Thu, 18 Jun 2015 16:08:36 EST ID:+fkm6qs5 No.91708 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Can HIIT be performed on a stationary bike and if so how much resistance should the bike be set at?
>>
George Brookfield - Sat, 20 Jun 2015 15:33:27 EST ID:WRkh6eZ0 No.91722 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90669
fitness is not about doing something for 2 weeks. it's about adopting a lifestyle. Even if it's just 30 min of walking per day
>>
Betty Gibson - Thu, 02 Jul 2015 10:54:40 EST ID:EtoOZ82E No.91798 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>91709
Thanks. So you can put it on max resistance and for recovery you put it on max too making sure you're going atleast 120/m? Or...

Also, is this research any good you think? sciencestrength.wordpress.com/2015/02/21/meal-strategies-to-maximise-muscle-protein-synthesis/
>>
Albert Guddleson - Fri, 03 Jul 2015 01:15:00 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.91799 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>91798
the recovery period should enable you to recover.
I sound like an asshole but think about it. You shouldnt hold yourself to a tempo but you do want to improve it. I think if you focus on sprints that will come naturally.
>>
Albert Guddleson - Fri, 03 Jul 2015 01:16:37 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.91800 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>91798
the articles fine, do it if youd like.
I have to eat 200g/day so I just GET IT IN because thats all I have time for.
If you can do that meal planning go for it, thatd be hella impressive.
>>
Sophie Blackhood - Wed, 05 Aug 2015 15:08:34 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92025 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90669
bumping this shit to help more people
>>
Polly Crillylitch - Thu, 13 Aug 2015 21:31:58 EST ID:rxHlkJv6 No.92097 Ignore Report Quick Reply
How do you know how much of each food to have? Should you use a scale at first to develop an idea of macros/calories per a certain amount of each food? If so, how do you calculate how many eg carbs three strawberries have (I would x it by multiples of three I guess)?
>>
Sophie Nottingfield - Fri, 14 Aug 2015 01:43:54 EST ID:IZNiAHFE No.92098 Ignore Report Quick Reply
what's the story on how much protein you can consume? A friend who does competitive bodybuilding told me that it's 30 grams per sitting; people at the gym say 50 grams.

And what's the amount of protein you can consume before you start running into health issues (kidney stuff and the like)?
>>
Hamilton Wenkinhall - Fri, 14 Aug 2015 12:39:37 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92103 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>9209
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19674590
No evidence that supports it

there are also different types of amino acids and proteins, for example, if you have a casein protein, your body slowly breaks it down over several hours anyway so the rate of breakdown/absorbtion wouldn't exceed 30g/hr

Its a good rule to take but I think as long as you dont have your protein all at once, once time a day, youll be okay
>>
Priscilla Drollybudge - Fri, 21 Aug 2015 01:52:24 EST ID:XNTMIEuT No.92147 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92098 I've read somewhere to consume 1.3-2 g protein per kg of body mass if you want to build muscle when you're training. That's roughly what I do. But research about it yourself to be sure.
>>
Doris Dunkinmock - Fri, 21 Aug 2015 03:40:03 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92148 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92147
No, 2./kg
or 1g/lb (desired weight)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6390614
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19927027
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17241913
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15640518
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22150425
>>
Graham Pickdale - Fri, 21 Aug 2015 17:57:16 EST ID:6R9o016v No.92170 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92148
What do you reckon of bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/ ?
>>
Hedda Dunkinhall - Sat, 22 Aug 2015 15:43:47 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92176 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92170
read the studies, they are only over a 1 month time span.
>>
Hedda Dunkinhall - Sat, 22 Aug 2015 15:46:34 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92177 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92170
also the studies affirm a .8-.9/lb which is taking a stab at a .1g difference, which is 18 grams for a 185 lb man.

Hardly negligible. Person who wrote this wanted to sound smart when in the end, if the protein would not be used, it would simply be converted to glucose.
>>
Edwin Nackleway - Mon, 24 Aug 2015 00:21:22 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92189 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92170
also you're technically supposed to use a 2g/kg bw
so it would be .8-.9g/lb

all this over .1 g
>>
Fuck Boddlewene - Tue, 25 Aug 2015 22:00:16 EST ID:2FELCmOv No.92212 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92189
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyn_I_dc4Wg Is it possible, in your opinion, for a female to achieve such a figure without drug use?
>>
Charles Fundleham - Tue, 25 Aug 2015 23:21:15 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92213 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92212
don't know enough about drugs or their use or visable side effects to say!

Geo if he still lurks could answer you
>>
Eliza Dacklelock - Wed, 26 Aug 2015 00:01:08 EST ID:LzI51VIN No.92218 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92213
I don't know anything about girls or drugs dude
>>
Charles Fundleham - Wed, 26 Aug 2015 10:11:08 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92220 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92218
I had you confused for cyclefag, lol
where the fuck is that asshole
>>
Isabella Hillershit - Thu, 27 Aug 2015 13:06:28 EST ID:+wpj/TSu No.92223 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92220
>aushole
>>
Esther Worthingwell - Sat, 29 Aug 2015 16:15:04 EST ID:DihS6iM+ No.92265 Ignore Report Quick Reply
cyclefag pls reply
>>
Isabella Feffingshit - Tue, 01 Sep 2015 13:34:12 EST ID:mksybL7J No.92316 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I'm using someone else's stats since I'm trying to plan a diet and it says BMR is 1500 which sounds really low. They need to maintain or put on a few pounds. Doesn't everyone over 5' lose weight consuming just 1500?
>>
Charlotte Boggleson - Tue, 01 Sep 2015 16:05:53 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92319 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92316
post your height, weight, activity and Ill give it to you
and no, it depends on the individual, how much lean mass they have and how active they are.
You can be 5' 100 lbs with 10% bf and a 1500 would be an average bmr.
are you confusing BMR with TDEE?
Nobody needs to eat at BMR.
>>
Isabella Feffingshit - Tue, 01 Sep 2015 17:07:15 EST ID:mksybL7J No.92322 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92319
oh hi
female, 5'5, 120lbs, activity is a 12 hour on-your-feet job.
the tdee it gave me was same as bmr
>>
Beatrice Bardbury - Thu, 03 Sep 2015 09:49:48 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92335 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92322
probably because you didn't add any physical activity.

Assuming you work out at least 3 times a week for 1 hour, your TDEE is 1900-2000.

Your BMR was like, 1300, which doesn't really matter since even people who don't workout need to eat 3-500+BMR just to break even from the calories of a day to day working life.

For everyday you workout for an hour over 3 days, add another 120 calories
Eating about 2250 for you sounds about right

also are you single?
Do you own a place in LONDON
>>
Beatrice Bardbury - Thu, 03 Sep 2015 09:50:39 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92336 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92335
BMR = what your body needs to function without you actually doing anything

if you were in a coma this is how much they'd feed you, lol
>>
Eliza Bivingson - Thu, 03 Sep 2015 10:44:51 EST ID:6u/IpUaN No.92339 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92335
if she worked out 1 hour x 3 days, would she eat 2610 (2250+3x120) every day, or only on the days worked out? or would i only add 120 to 2250, and only on the days worked out for over an hour?

yeah i put in zero activity because she works a desk job for about 6 hours but is on her feet (light exercise i guess) for about 3-6 hours also but doesn't actually "work out". so i assumed her bmr (no or light activity) must be similar to her tdee, but yeah i can see that's not right lol.
>>
Nathaniel Donderbadge - Thu, 03 Sep 2015 23:45:09 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92347 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92339
if you get up, brush your teeth, go to your car, drive car, use your brain, and sleep you are burning a good 350 cal. That's already assumed when your TDEE and BMR is usually 300~ apart if you put 0 on everything.

If youre making a diet for someone and not giving them an exercise plan, then youre doing 50% of the work towards whatever fitnessgoal they have

Never eat at BMR, lol
>>
Henry Bladgeman - Sat, 26 Sep 2015 03:48:49 EST ID:EeKhUVMv No.92446 Ignore Report Quick Reply
is there any benefit to doing HIIT more than once a day
>>
Simon Blythedale - Sat, 26 Sep 2015 13:57:41 EST ID:xd76Upqy No.92454 Ignore Report Quick Reply
is there a way to avoid loose skin from losing weight?
>>
Priscilla Brubberway - Sat, 26 Sep 2015 15:01:11 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92456 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92454
lose weight slowly, at the recommended pace of 1-2 lbs a week.
If you are 350+ it is unavoidable.
>>92446
just more calories burned, I wouldnt do it 2x a day (let alone 1x for my goals of strength and mass) on the days I lift
>>
Ian Tootville - Fri, 02 Oct 2015 20:59:55 EST ID:8x0xSmh6 No.92500 Ignore Report Quick Reply
instead of eating at a caloric deficit for losing weight would just exercising more to burn an extra 500 calories work well?
>>
Martin Fuckingfuck - Sat, 03 Oct 2015 02:50:19 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92502 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92500
that would technically be a caloric deficit
tdee = X +500 (that activity)
if youre not compensating for that activity you are on a cut
>>
Jenny Cramblehall - Sat, 03 Oct 2015 14:47:59 EST ID:Ecsn5OYn No.92507 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92502
thanks. i was looking at keto and wondering if it'd be okay to use to lose weight while building muscle... or would you consider it a crash diet? i don't understand how it works really yet.
>>
Eugene Chillerbanks - Sat, 03 Oct 2015 20:00:03 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92510 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92507
Do it 6-8 weeks at a time and then get some carbs in

basically long term spaced out carb cycling my eyes

good for losing weight but insulin and carbohydrates that make those get secreted play a major role in muscle recovery and building of size, let alone strength,.
If you want to gain muscle and do that diet, I'd aim for 1.5-2g oh CHO per g of lean body mass.
normal keto you have 1g/lb of lean body mass anyway
>>
Polly Blackhood - Sun, 04 Oct 2015 07:07:29 EST ID:6307oSoD No.92516 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92510
thank you, how would i measure my lbm?
>>
Polly Blackhood - Sun, 04 Oct 2015 08:05:14 EST ID:6307oSoD No.92517 Ignore Report Quick Reply
also been recommended to keep carbs under 20g but guessing my bodyweight and calculating LBM = 65g, is there a way to determine how many net grams i'd need (that'd differ from 65g "carbs")? or is 65g still correct where i just need to eat them as net carbs?
>>
Eugene Chillerbanks - Sun, 04 Oct 2015 14:22:20 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92518 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92516
lbm = total body weight - body fat %
example
I am 100 lbs and 15% bodfat
I have a lean body mass of 85 lbs
>>
Eugene Chillerbanks - Sun, 04 Oct 2015 14:24:46 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92519 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92517
fiber doesnt count as a carb, but they are listed under them in food content, so you want 65 net carbs, while you are also managing 100g fiber. This is how the real paleo diet was, technically. But none of that is relevant because we have genes that can process foods and whole grains. The whole concept is shitty and the diet that people sell is basically a rehash of the 80's carbs are evil movement
carbs are fine and I think its hilarious when people try and say its bad for human cognitive ability and how their insulin spikes are spoken about like they have 0 choice in what they eat, once they get an insulin spike they go eat shitty food, like jesus fuck dont eat it, just dont eat it, do not cook prepare or buy food that you will not eat
jesus
>>
Eugene Chillerbanks - Sun, 04 Oct 2015 14:25:30 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92520 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92517
wait you have 65 lbs of lean body mass?
are you 3' and from Auschwitz
>>
Eugene Chillerbanks - Sun, 04 Oct 2015 14:26:00 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92521 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92519
woops thought this was still the paleo diet, ignore taht stuff
>>
Phillip Hotolo - Fri, 09 Oct 2015 17:40:55 EST ID:KLA4d6HC No.92593 Ignore Report Quick Reply
i dont understand essential bodyfat. if 200lbs and 88lbs body fat, lbm is 112lbs... and essential bodyfat is 14lbs, does that mean i COULD be 200lbs with only 14lbs of bodyfat? where does essential bodyfat come into weight loss
>>
Molly Sepperpedging - Sat, 10 Oct 2015 09:24:14 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92595 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92593
It doesn't, unless you are going to cut weight that low that you have to consider it.
I use LBM as a measurement tool, that's it.
If you are planning on cutting to sub 8% let me know and Ill help as much as I can.
>>
Shitting Supperlock - Sat, 10 Oct 2015 18:27:16 EST ID:IZNiAHFE No.92600 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90669

What's a good tempo for adding weight to squats? What I mean by that is, should my weight progression resemble something like "Stay at X pounds until you feel it isn't a challenge and then add 10 pounds next leg day" or is there something more nuanced about it?
>>
Molly Sepperpedging - Sat, 10 Oct 2015 18:49:31 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92601 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92600
Depends on where you are at.
If you are doing a certain program it will usually tell you when.
If you are beginning or already on SS, I recommend SS (starting strength).
I can post it again, but it asks for 5-10lbs progression per day you lift.
After that reaches its plateau its time for a weekly progression routine, and then a bi weekly, then a monthly etc etc

post lifts stats goals and I can tell you which one might be good for you
>>
Jarvis Bublingsene - Fri, 27 Nov 2015 23:05:59 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92812 Ignore Report Quick Reply
bumping thread
>>
Molly Pittville - Tue, 01 Dec 2015 06:42:12 EST ID:qkNFzifD No.92838 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90669
good read. going to start my new lifestyle tomorrow
>>
Cedric Worthingwill - Tue, 01 Dec 2015 19:33:31 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92840 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92838
post in BWG and either have the same ID or tripcode because I want you to have some accountability.
>>
Molly Murdham - Wed, 02 Dec 2015 09:02:10 EST ID:gZdf5pwH No.92844 Ignore Report Quick Reply
200lbs, is it possible to lose 80lbs in 7 months at 3lbs lost per week? how would i lose 3lbs per week?
>>
Shit Focklebury - Thu, 03 Dec 2015 01:14:00 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92845 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92844
recommended is 1-2lbs/week
you would need to exercise, and eat a diet of -500 to -750 (MAYBE MORE) calories below BMR.

It says it in the OP
>>
Cedric Cremblewell - Tue, 08 Dec 2015 00:18:01 EST ID:IZNiAHFE No.92863 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>90669
what is the best way to prepare for a 1RM test? How do you do yours?
>>
Phineas Binderstock - Tue, 08 Dec 2015 00:25:07 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92864 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92863
do an AMRAP (as many reps as possible) with your last set of 5x5 (I.E. if you did 185x5x5 do the last set for as many reps as you can. you can take 1 second - 10 second pauses between reps to gain composure)
take that, use a 1rm calc or find THE RIGHT FORMULA FOR THE SPECIFIC LIFT online and do 90% of that for AMRAP.

also, for warm up, do 50% x5 60% x4 70% x3 80x2 and 90% x1 (this is of your 1rm, do a single of 90%, rest 5 minutes or more then do AMRAP)

go have fun and do not do a rep if you sacrifice form. I could that as failure
>>
Phineas Binderstock - Tue, 08 Dec 2015 00:49:33 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92870 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92864
let me be clearer
185 x5 x5 was my last squat day
I would do 185 for AS MANY REPS AS I CAN, lets say its 11.
I would take both 185 and 11 and put into the 1rm calc
I would see it would be 252 lbs
I would then do 90% of 252, 226, (just do 225) and then do that as many reps as I can. Repeat calculator steps.

Failure can be failure, or failure can be form failure,.
>>
Phineas Binderstock - Tue, 08 Dec 2015 00:52:16 EST ID:ooaqr8BJ No.92871 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>92870
because I love hearing myself talk when Im on robotussin and weed,
you have to train for 1rm performance (powerlifting) to do a 1rm test @ 100% and not fuck up or underperform
even rippetoe says this is better
>>
Matilda Blythestone - Sat, 16 Jan 2016 19:30:58 EST ID:IZNiAHFE No.93044 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1452990658102.jpg -(64747B / 63.23KB, 400x400) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I'm making progress in weight loss, fat loss and lifting strength, but how do I progress with running? I can bike for over two hours straight at around 12mph, but running a mile? That takes me 14 minutes and I can only jog the first half a mile. Is it really as simple as just running more and more every day?
>>
Cedric Parringtadge - Sat, 16 Jan 2016 22:55:48 EST ID:EFBAZmps No.93045 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>93044
when most people hear "running", they think sprinting. Distance running requires completely different form. Jogging is how you run a mile or more, except jogging to me implies a lot of bouncing up and down, which is wasted energy and poor form.
Once you get the hang of it, if you get side stitches, your pace is too fast; if you get shin splints, your pace is too slow (or your stride is too short, but that's the s ame thing, really).

You should be standing upright. keep your shoulders back and head tall. leaning more forward or backward changes which muscles are stressed the most, and can help towards the end of your run; it's something you get a feel for.

keep a steady pace from start to finish, and tie your breathing to it. I inhale for two steps, exhale for two steps. In through your nose, out through your mouth. Once you find your rhythm, running is hypnotizing.
>>
hench !!/6ru5wnG - Wed, 03 Feb 2016 10:45:33 EST ID:nY58NDDX No.93086 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>91073
Hey Tart, really appreciate this post. Haven't been able to find it again until now, but I've been going by it, and adding to it for the past 3 months or so. The main things I've added are duplicate exercises (deadlifts, bb bench, squats) every day, and I've been increasing the weight almost once or twice a month on everything.

I really hate doing trains and fire hydrants though, is there anything I can do that's more advanced or with weight?
>>
Frederick Greenford - Fri, 05 Feb 2016 15:22:18 EST ID:Il6Lki+v No.93098 Ignore Report Quick Reply
What's the best food scale? Accuracy, battery life... I have like $100.
>>
Sophie Podgechatch - Mon, 14 Mar 2016 15:43:05 EST ID:o/mDhnIE No.93184 Ignore Report Quick Reply
to maintain do you eat at your tdee?
>>
Sophie Podgechatch - Mon, 14 Mar 2016 15:47:58 EST ID:o/mDhnIE No.93185 Ignore Report Quick Reply
0.8 or 1.3g x 1lbs/bw protein?
>>
Nigel Pevingchat - Sat, 19 Mar 2016 15:50:04 EST ID:Va3Dlf4y No.93196 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>93184
Yes, at tdee
>>
Nigel Pevingchat - Sat, 19 Mar 2016 15:51:54 EST ID:Va3Dlf4y No.93197 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>93185
1 g per lb of lean body mass that you want to be.
(Lean body mass = total weight - body fat %) [ex 100Lb 15% bf = 85 lean body mass)
>>
Nigel Pevingchat - Sat, 19 Mar 2016 15:53:04 EST ID:Va3Dlf4y No.93198 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>93197
Woops, ex 85 lean body mass, you want to be 100, so youde eat 100g
>>
Whitey Breffingpidge - Sat, 09 Apr 2016 02:24:25 EST ID:NIgXUqY2 No.93250 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1460183065160.jpg -(39178B / 38.26KB, 588x350) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
whatever this is called, it's very weak and i have radiating pain up to my shoulder-neck, how do i stretch it out? tried crossing my arms and leaning back on a door frame but it had me unable to move my face to the side like when you sleep wrong. what about the neck too? just so tense and stiff.
>>
Shit Chucklewone - Sun, 10 Apr 2016 20:14:39 EST ID:5NXKBE5T No.93252 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>93250
Could be torn lat, rhomboid, lavatory scape, trap, dislocated rib, serrated tear. So many things. I'll be on later to post some special tests so we can sort it out
>>
Rebecca Cucklewodge - Mon, 11 Apr 2016 00:00:12 EST ID:/LIE3ZN+ No.93253 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1460347212888.jpg -(32832B / 32.06KB, 350x507) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>93250
look up self myofacial release
use a lacrosse ball, lay on it and roll around
it will hurt like hell but it will release the muscle
i have scoliosis so i get this erry once and a while
the above method works
>>
Rebecca Cucklewodge - Mon, 11 Apr 2016 00:02:07 EST ID:/LIE3ZN+ No.93254 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>93253
also when you do that, experiment with like
hugging an invisible person
grabbing
your opposite shoulders
so your shoulder blades spread
feel me
>>
Nigel Rotterdamn - Mon, 02 May 2016 01:27:01 EST ID:7yqwHjoz No.93308 Ignore Report Quick Reply
How long after you've eaten can you workout (for weight loss versus lifting if it's not the same)?
>>
Oliver Tillingfoot - Mon, 02 May 2016 01:31:16 EST ID:7CFc1R0d No.93309 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>93308
eat like within 12 hours
long-term your meal timing doesn't matter, whatever is comfortable and gets you working
>>
Nigel Rotterdamn - Mon, 02 May 2016 07:06:48 EST ID:7yqwHjoz No.93310 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>93309
I didn't mean meal timing but with digestion taking like two hours, is it fine to workout within two hours of eating?
>>
Oliver Grandham - Mon, 02 May 2016 16:48:39 EST ID:QdJVcJuZ No.93311 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>93310
Personally if there's anything undigested in me I'll probably puke it out before the end of my workout, but some people out there swear by a preworkout meal. Just do whatever works for you
>>
Polly Dankinbanks - Mon, 02 May 2016 20:57:04 EST ID:RNMhP6Sd No.93313 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1462237024207.jpg -(43981B / 42.95KB, 349x450) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Talk to me about NOx, NO3 and all those "pump" supplements. My workouts have finally progressed past the "baby gains" and I'm starting to notice and really enjoy that pumped feeling, so I suppose it's logical that I've started looking into these stupid things.

Do they just ramp up your heart rate and make you notice your pump more? Are they just a once-in-a-while supplement to take for fun? Do they have any tangible benefit over non-supplement forms of NO intake (i.e. actual food?) Do they actually do ANYTHING?

I like the idea of having shelves of shiny jars filled with mysterious powder as much as the next easily distracted creature, but if there's no benefit to them I've got better things to fill my kitchen with.
>>
Albert Claywater - Mon, 02 May 2016 22:33:31 EST ID:O9AWPUgT No.93314 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>93313
Its a meme product, the draw to it is that it will just make your veins look bigger in addition to energy from regular preworkout ingredients. If you want energy its cheaper and more efficient to buy caffeine pills and if you want your veins to pop its cheaper to buy l-arginine pills
>>
Caroline Wommleman - Fri, 06 May 2016 21:10:28 EST ID:H+6KleYg No.93326 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1462583428771.jpg -(92764B / 90.59KB, 670x670) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
The person in my pic could get you started in the right direction. Awesome powerlifter ;)
>>
Basil Grimfoot - Sat, 07 May 2016 00:43:26 EST ID:7CFc1R0d No.93327 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>93314
>if you want your veins to pop its cheaper to buy l-arginine pills

nah, buy l-citrulline
>>
Nathaniel Senkinneg - Sat, 07 May 2016 12:48:00 EST ID:O9AWPUgT No.93329 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>93327
I mean unless you're a steroid using instagrammer its pretty retarded to give a shit in the first place
>>
Rebecca Hannerford - Fri, 09 Sep 2016 14:48:32 EST ID:fMam+r7A No.93630 Ignore Report Quick Reply
What would happen if I only do pushups? Would some stronger muscles pull on something harder than the weaker muscles and send it in the wrong direction?
>>
Ernest Peckletin - Mon, 27 Feb 2017 01:18:25 EST ID:L1txwjLH No.93976 Ignore Report Quick Reply
OP returns
>>
Isabella Bragglepidge - Tue, 21 Mar 2017 06:32:19 EST ID:KytIgIAa No.94007 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Is this wrong?

(220lbs/f/20)
2187 BMR minus 2506kcals (from light exercise TDEE) = 319kcals burnt (x 7 days = 2333kcals burnt weekly, 1167kcals from 1lb)
2187 BMR minus 500kcals from diet = 1687kcals to eat, minus 319kcals burnt from light exercise = 1359kcals total (deficit from 3500kcals of 2141kcals x 7 days = 14987kcals, around 4lbs pw)

Another calc (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/):
1828 BMR minus 2513.775kcals (light exercise maintenance kcals... you x1.3 your BMR to get to this) = 685.575kcals burnt** (x 7 days = 4799kcals burnt pw, 1299kcals over 1lbs)
1828 BMR minus 500kcals from diet = 1328kcals to consume, minus 685.575kcals burnt from light exercise = 642.425kcals (deficit from 3500kcals [1lb] of 2857.575 x 7 days = 20003kcals, around 5-6lbs)

**That seems like too much and I have a feeling it doesn't mean you burn that every day but in total, but I don't know.
>>
Shit Wacklemag - Tue, 21 Mar 2017 14:36:46 EST ID:wcdn8LmG No.94008 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>94007
What I found worked for me was working out the unmultiplied BMR of my target weight and then eating slightly under that. Then exercising as much as I could manage. As you lose weight you get fitter and so the loss stays pretty steady until you're grazing your target. I managed to average 2 pounds per week for a year plus a pound a week ramp up and ramp down of 3 months each.

Every now and then I had an off day. The next day I'd work out what made me succumb to temptation (usually that it was needlessly there) and resume my diet ASAP. I never lost more than 2 or 3 days and I suspect having a day where you run a small surplus every month or so probably does as much good as harm however I do not have any scientific facts to back that up with. Maybe I just had that big a margin that eating 1500 extra calories rapidly became insignificant.

However as a woman with presumably a target BMR below 1850 calories you have to be a bit more careful. You need to ensure you get your macro and micronutrients and if you under eat too much your body may "go into starvation mode" I imagine the magin gets narrower for a smaller person. Of course if you're 6 foot 1 and aiming to lift big then you'll be fine. But odds are you'll need to eat under 1600 calories so really think about your meal. Fill up on lots of different veg, make sure you have a good protein source, you do need a little fat (the only bad thing about fat is that it's calorie dense) but you've still got some wiggle room to actually enjoy your food.

A 500 calorie deficit per day is 1 pound per day.

When you're done you probably need to adjust your targets up but keep it up. There's no going back if you don't want to be fat again. But there's quite a lot to be said for being healthy.
>>
James Shittingwell - Tue, 21 Mar 2017 20:28:20 EST ID:L1txwjLH No.94010 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>94007
Find your BMR without activity and then look up average calories per exercise and add it up

the way you should do it though, is just pick one and do it.
If you gain, eat less. If you lose more than 2lbs in a week, eat more. if nothing changes, eat slightly less
>>
fat - Sat, 01 Jul 2017 07:39:54 EST ID:M2T7GQ8L No.94284 Ignore Report Quick Reply
can you do starting strength at home? what would i need to buy and can you recommend any equipment? pls help i want to get fit but i'm not going to the gym with agoraphobia.
>>
fat - Sat, 01 Jul 2017 07:42:48 EST ID:M2T7GQ8L No.94285 Ignore Report Quick Reply
and what do you think of push pull legs?
>>
Matilda Sickledun - Sat, 01 Jul 2017 19:23:51 EST ID:fRLvE/st No.94287 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>94284
Crowds make me extremely anxious and irritable.

You can still use the gym if you're agoraphobic, just go at quiet times. Early morning is good. Monday is probably the best day off because everyone starts their week on Monday and then they spread out. Plus there's always people who say "I'll do 3 this week" and then miss the 2nd and then "I'll try again on Monday".

If you don't work or work weird hours most of the day is quiet.

I've used the gym at all hours. I have a couple of friends who go in at early hours for those reasons. One is legit crazy around people and he would just go in at 6am. I'm assuming you can handle a couple of people. Hell outside Monday half the time I go to the gym there's less than 5 other people in and I only go very slightly outside peak (6-7pm) times.
>>
James Wacklewell - Sat, 01 Jul 2017 22:19:51 EST ID:c0VajuKH No.94288 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>94285
I think pull push legs is great if pull has deadlifts

otherwise, if you have more time and passion you can make faster progress in other ways
>>
iasoiheij - Sat, 19 Aug 2017 22:13:45 EST ID:hiFY3+EL No.94389 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Is veganism dumb? I want to lose weight with cardio and weight training and veganism is really high carb, I don't know if that's bad but I'm never full ever, nothing's satiating so I end up overeating by going for easy, quick junk food. Low protein/deficiencies = never not hungry? I took a multivitamin and stopped feeling so starved. As for food though I don't know what to eat anymore, there's like avocado toast and pasta and beans. I don't want to eat/can't oatmeal and that shit, just like I can't stuff myself with pounds of vegetables every day. It's fucking insane, vegans are meant to eat SO MUCH.

You don't have to but if you can help me see that eating meat makes more sense then it'll probably help me get over the moral issue I have even though I've been a vegetarian for 5 years. It isn't logical, I just feel seriously bad about eating animals. I'm completely deficient in B12/iron/omega 3s because I didn't supplement all this time. The vegans on YouTube are rich and have way too much time to cook weirdly elaborate meals. It feels so complicated and overwhelming to get the right macros that I skip meals now.
>>
iasoiheij - Sat, 19 Aug 2017 22:14:37 EST ID:hiFY3+EL No.94390 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Also I feel weak as fuck omg just please convince me to eat chicken
>>
Jarvis Hupperridge - Sun, 20 Aug 2017 14:03:22 EST ID:SzZCuWIq No.94391 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>94389
Veganism isn't necessarily dumb but you need to actually understand and research it much harder. I eat meat AND stuff myself with pounds of vegetables though.

You can't be a picky eater and then expect it to be easy. Veganism can be cheap but if you're a fussy eater you'll end up restricting your choices. And the more limits like "cheap" "vegan" "no cabbage, not too much potato, no beans" you put on your diet the narrower the range becomes until you can't actually make do.

If you want a moral argument you have to consider animals less than people to not be at least a bit shaky. I feel like several vegan arguments are a lot weaker than most vegans would admit but that is not the same as "they are totally invalid". The "enough food for everyone" argument is one of the worst because we already have enough food and just don't distribute it. If vegans want to feed everyone they need to overthrow globalist capitalism, buying quinoa from places where it's a staple is not helping. However you could produce more food and maybe this would mean a few more people would get fed. Ideally thought you'd just divert our waste mountains...

Veganism is better for the environment and I'd imagine even after all the flying shit around it is, it kills less animals even though yes even arable farming results in dead animals, however it's about reducing the impact. I think this the crux though. Veganism and vegetarianism are both compromises. They're not perfect solutions and I think if you want justification to give up ground it's that you're moving down a scale not crossing a line.

As far as health goes the I think most health benefits from from thinking about what you eat rather than stuffing processed shit into your mouth. Additionally particularly exclusive diets are likely bad, the fruitarian guy on /nom/ will make himself sick soon. Some people also cannot digest certain proteins and shit if they don't come in certain forms. They cannot vegan. Anyway my point is that you might not need to eat chicken. If you don't want to violate everything you stand for either eat some eggs and a bit of cheese and then if that's not enough eating a little chicken from time to time is better than lots right? As I said it's about reducing impact, if everyone went vegan a lot of shit wouldn't stop. If you actually feel weak then you have gone too far. You can still be in a better position than someone who eats bacon and plains that were previously rainforest beef every day without having to live off grass and farts.
>>
Charles Sesslefield - Wed, 23 Aug 2017 11:06:52 EST ID:jotBnWNx No.94394 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>94287
What about 12am-2am? How is 24/7 gyms at that time of night?
>>
Phoebe Bruttingletch - Sat, 26 Aug 2017 04:51:39 EST ID:SzZCuWIq No.94400 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>94394
I don't go to a 24/7 but I imagine that they're dead then. I'd guess the footfall is something like:

Evening>morning>daytime (though this will be retired people and stay at home spouses, mostly middle aged women)> Late night > dead of morning

My gym is shut during the latter two. How badly do you need to avoid people? Remember that if you're at the gym during the periods that working people can't be there easily then the people there will be much less judgmental. The last couple of time slots will be fellow crowd avoiding types.

As I said, peak time is probably 5 till 7.30. Outside that it falls off. Though I'm a euro so you may need to adjust slightly for your own local working day. If you want to really avoid people make Monday your off day. Though maybe that won't apply for dead at night gym users. I know for normal people you always get a bunch of people who start the week on Monday take tuesday as a rest day, make excuses on Wednesday get to thursday and say "welp too late now" and then start again next Monday.
>>
Low-key - Sat, 02 Sep 2017 22:08:21 EST ID:KcxzA8FH No.94406 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1504404501972.jpg -(151592B / 148.04KB, 800x1178) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Exercise at home, dog. Get a few weights from craiglist and GO

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.