420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
changes by Nell Shakeworth - Mon, 12 Mar 2018 01:56:22 EST ID:plwLtRB1 No.94681 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1520834182730.jpg -(635526B / 620.63KB, 1280x1280) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 635526
>1996
>Be 4
>My dad owns a gym
>Vividly remember these days, its literally just straight muscle heads and aerobic bitches
>All of the men are super jacked, all of them know eachother very well, its like a brotherhood
>Gym closes in 2002 because huge fitness center comes to town, its bitter sweet but time to move on, never forget my days growing up in that gym and how overtly masculine everyone there was while still being extremely caring and kind

>2018
>be 25
>Start working out with the intention of someday being a muscle dummy, want to get into fighting, starting out doing strength training, slowly getting stronger
>Go to the gym a few times a week
>Dont see anyone thats super jacked their that often
>Lots of dudes in man buns, lots of overweight women doing treadmill
>The gym just seems like a weird hipster thing for most people, nothing like what I remember from growing up
>Go to a few other gyms in the area to see if its different, it isnt, its worse at most places.
>Look around at society, there isnt these super jacked dudes much anywhere anymore now that I think of it, mainly just see man tits and slobs
>Something changed
>Think back to growing up, sitting in the gym in the 90s while queen plays in the background and looking around watching dudes dead lift 350+ pounds, thinking "I'm never gonna be like these guys"
>Think of now, this is literally a dying breed, and my attitude is im gonna be one of the very last of them

So what happened to not only Gym culture but society at large? one of my male friends was recently saying to me "Well I was never that masculine" and I honestly cringed, growing up in that environment I didn't know such people existed, but now its the norm and masculine is repulsive.
>>
Albert Cremmerwine - Mon, 12 Mar 2018 19:36:01 EST ID:XBfMJ7Fq No.94683 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>94681
Short answer: Nope.

I go a gym that's basically an add on tennis court and there's at least 2 guys on roids there with arms like tree trunks. I mean it's basically a gym for rich late middle aged people and somehow there's still guys whose bisceps have abs.

I feel like you're projecting. if you go and be jacked you're going to get less negative judgment than someone who is fat and considerably more admiration. Those people who turn up regularly and have a plan that makes sense and execute it successfully are the ideal of gym going whatever they are trying to be. And most of them will respect anyone who achieves their plan whatever it is. I don't think hyper masculinity (lets call your ideal what it is, it's not masculine, it's beyond that) is as popular as it was but its not going to die out. There's a tonne of sites on the internet catering to body building and fitness types and their ideal image is the same one you aspire to. They're fine. I actually felt like there was a surge in interest in gym stuff recently but then maybe that's because I took up fitness and became attuned to it.

It may be that you go at the wrong time of day and year. Monday, new year and just after it warms up are the worst times for gym casuals. Go on a friday evening and there's 3 people there at a time. Those part time gym users are great though, they effectively subsidise the gym for us. You think that January joiner or the girl who does 30 minutes on the treadmill at slow walk and then rewards herself with a cupcake twice a week (maybe) just cancel when they stop going, they were in denial about their routine or plan or dedication before they even started. Nope they're paying for at least another month or two probably most of the year.

Masculinity is trying to put your dick in a hole.
>>
George Duzzlespear - Sat, 17 Mar 2018 10:48:41 EST ID:OF7nDPtO No.94686 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>94681
There's more and more people going to the gym because it's encouraged so much more in popular media. Reality shows/magazines/etc show less of the starved model type and more of the buff dudes and gals. I fucking saw a 6 year old in full gym wear about a year or so ago.

However, there's still the roided up types of gym. I live in a small-medium town. It has like 2 normal gyms (one of them a college gym), but then it has like 3 muscle guy gyms. Look for the small places with overly-masculine names like "Titan" or "MANMEAT 2532" or some shit.

Don't look for all-purpose gyms, look for gyms specifically for weight lifting. It'll have a little equipment for other things too, but muscle guys don't go to the regular gyms because generally their weights are too small for them or not of enough variety
>>
Fucking Blytheridge - Sat, 17 Mar 2018 23:31:58 EST ID:t+j8nMqD No.94688 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I don't know what the hell you are talking about. You have to seek out hipster gyms like this. You are doing something wrong. It is just the same shit that you are talking about except. My gym has a half cardio/weights section and has roid dudes. Go to one of the chain gyms and it will probably like the "good old days." They play music according to the area. More hip hop if I go to the other gym that has less white people. But most will play top 40 wear headphones but top 40 is really easy to ignore.
>>
Betsy Breshwater - Tue, 20 Mar 2018 19:41:29 EST ID:2HBT7EdU No.94693 Ignore Report Quick Reply
gold's gym still has the oldschool feel
>>
Charles Shittingwell - Mon, 09 Apr 2018 02:37:30 EST ID:/rIlrguy No.94702 Ignore Report Quick Reply
The gym I went to for years had a really even cross section of America in it, it was pretty damn chill

As for the masculine thing I have no real idea what's causing it but it is absolutely infuriating me atm. I mean anyone my age, mid twenties just wants to talk about fantasy and multi-media crap instead of doing shit and smashing pussy, it's truly the age of the kidults <sigh>
>>
Charlotte Clabberham - Sat, 14 Apr 2018 22:47:17 EST ID:rczpLG/B No.94712 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Lol at the deadlifting 350 line. Maybe I just follow too many deadlift pages on instagram. I myself hit 470 right before the new year (was trying to go for an even 500 but didn't get it) and I'm not a super jacked up dude.

Commercial gyms are one thing but there's still hole in the wall places you can clank around actual metal plates with the big boys at least in my area. Look for powerlifting/strongman gyms. I used to go to one for a while but it was like $80 a month. I loved it though, they had atlas stones, sleds, power racks, the whole 9.
>>
Rebecca Hobbleville - Thu, 10 May 2018 00:19:44 EST ID:+nestRVT No.94745 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I don't know, even all of the Planet Fitness' I've been to have at least 3 or 4 super muscle-y guys there at any given time. I've never been to a gym without at least a few meatheads.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.