420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
total beginner by Doris Dronnerdale - Mon, 16 Apr 2018 15:41:53 EST ID:WXqQo7h2 No.94715 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1523907713988.jpg -(43358B / 42.34KB, 552x327) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 43358
help

i've been lurking for a while and doing my best to learn. i calculated my daily calories and protien and bought a fat jug of protien powder that i use as a daily supplement because i'm skinny and poor and want muscles. since i started eating extra protien i've had way more energy and i actually want to work out.

the problem is all i'm doing is cardio (jogging biking and hiit) and an at home core strength routine

i have access to a student gym and i want to get better defined arms. i don't know what any of the machines are or how to use them.

can you guys help or point me to some websites that break it down for absolute beginners or some other forums?
>>
Basil Goodbanks - Mon, 16 Apr 2018 18:38:39 EST ID:7rucDfzM No.94716 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>94715
Machines are alright but if you want good results your routine should include weights. Machines are basically optional extras for if you want to focus certain muscles.

Generally speaking you want to use free weights. If you do the same lift with a pair of dumbells it's harder than a single barbell and that's harder than a machine. This is because you're engaging more muscles to stabilise it. The effect on general muscle definition is about the same as long as you're pushing your limit but those free weights work more muscle and give you more control which is more practical and of use outside the gym. Just lifting weights to look good is a bit wank. At least enjoy mobility and strength.

Again I'm sure people can suggest improvements to my list but instead google these exercises and do them with weights. Also it's better to start on a low weight and find it easy and then move up a bit and not really push yourself for the first couple of weeks than overdoing it and hurting yourself. Find your form.

Deadlift and squats for legs
Overhead press/skull crushers and bench press for triceps (with shoulders and chest also taken care of)
Bicep curls and horizontal rows for your biceps (also your back lats)

Do body weight shit too. Pull ups and tricep dips are good. If you cannot do those purely with your arms you do them at an angle and pivot on your heel a bit as you build up strength through these and the above exercises. I also reccomend core stuff though you can do it at home. Sit ups and then suspended (I do raised ones using the corner in my kitchen and push myself up so my feet are off the floor) leg raises and shit are good. Pulling your knees up to your stomach while you're hanging/raised is harder than it sounds. Or it was for a few months, it's pretty easy now.

If you find getting on to a bench or getting weights is a bit of a struggle then machines could sub in a bit but make sure you're doing at least a little bit of free weights. You want to work every muscle and your stabilisers count.
>>
Archie Chublingdon - Fri, 20 Apr 2018 15:59:00 EST ID:2HBT7EdU No.94718 Ignore Report Quick Reply
i would suggest not saying the word "protein" again until you learn what macronutrients and amino acids are. all living things are made of proteins and you reveal a staggering lack of biological and nutritional education when you talk about protein powder and shit when you clearly dont need that yet. look up starting strength and follow it until you are skilled at basic lifts. ask people more experienced to teach you proper form.
>>
Shitting Fandletidge - Sun, 22 Apr 2018 09:16:08 EST ID:7qbCV9SW No.94723 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>94715

>i calculated my daily calories and protien and bought a fat jug of protien powder that i use as a daily supplement because i'm skinny and poor and want muscles.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if your goal is to get bigger, you're going to have to spend more money. There's just no way around that. You need to consume 3-4000 calories a day if you want to gain weight, and don't eat shit while you do it. Animal protein, rice, pasta, vegetables, oatmeal, nuts. All the protein powder will do is make you leaner, it won't help you gain weight if that's what you think it'll do.
>>
Clara Mupperdeck - Sun, 22 Apr 2018 18:07:58 EST ID:7rucDfzM No.94724 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>94723
I don't think that's entirely true. The further along you go the harder it gets and the more thought you need. Running a surplus isn't expensive. OP needs some protein but yeah, not tonnes but if he's not trying to fit in a tight calorie budget there's tonnes of cheap ways to get the food he needs. Oatmeal isn't expensive. Nuts vary. Rice and pasta are cheap. OP can buy half that shit in bulk and do it cheap. Eggs provide animal protein cheaply, beans are another good source. None of this is costly.

I'm not sure OP needs to run a 1000 calorie surplus either. What you're describing might be optimal but OP is a beginner, as long as everything he does points in the right direction and he has a good routine (and commits to it) he'll make massive gains and probably to the extent he's looking for. He wants muscles, but unless he wants to be super swole he's never going to need to take it as far as you think he does.

I'm not saying your advice is bad, it's probably great advice. It's just not necessary. OP isn't even past the stage when you make gains because your brain is recruiting neurons yet.
>>
Jarvis Tillingson - Mon, 23 Apr 2018 11:57:03 EST ID:O4oCu+Vt No.94725 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>94718
This guy loves the smell of his own protein farts.
>>
Jarvis Tillingson - Mon, 23 Apr 2018 12:17:12 EST ID:O4oCu+Vt No.94726 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>94723
Sorry for the double post didn't see this was too busy replying to the guy who loves to stroke himself off with his superior knowledge of semantics before dropping the same tired recommendation for SS.

Protein powder will not make you leaner its just a way to supplement more protein and calories in your diet. That's like saying eating an extra chicken breast a day will make you leaner. The protein powder is good just don't use it in place of a good diet.

Honestly OP just check out the fitness FAQ here https://ceddit.com/r/fitness (I changed the website because wordfilter, but everything you need to know is in the sidebar) its really fucking comprehensive, there are routine recommendations for beginners, and it should have real informative answers on the FAQ that you won't get here.
>>
Matilda Climmlebanks - Fri, 27 Apr 2018 13:00:29 EST ID:l3waVUKM No.94730 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>94726
Used to be a thread posted by some guy that was a good beginners guide, like it was as good as you could get without an essay and dozens of links and he'd link it in threads like this. But it only got love from new and passing posters so it was a losing battle. It might still be somewhere between here and page 12 for all I know though.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.