420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
HELP WITH WEIGHT LOSS! by Nigel Chubblesog - Sat, 05 May 2018 20:07:04 EST ID:ORQ92UGj No.94738 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1525565224409.jpg -(10855B / 10.60KB, 144x214) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 10855
I’ve personally always felt like finding any kind of good working advice on losing weight is some kind of secret, probably because of being constantly hit with barrages of “ONE SECRET TO WEIGHT LOSS YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW!” ads on different sites. I want to know what the ACTUAL best method of losing weight quickly is. I know diet and exercise are obviously the key factors to looking better and really I only want to lose about 30 or so pounds (I’m currently approaching 200, about 180 or so and used to being 140, I’m 5’8” and 26 so I feel like I’ve gotta do this NOW and get into a routine otherwise I’ll be a fat slob at 30 and that’s not how I’m trying to be). I live in an apartment complex with a basic gym that has treadmills and weights/lifting contraptions so it’s pretty basic but I don’t know where to start. I have significant belly fat now and really only need to get rid of that, as I’m what you could call “skinny fat” from drinking so much beer (I quit recently, as in a week ago). I have a huge thing of protein powder and I think doing a meal replacement thing would be best for me but not totally sure, which is why I can to the ones I trust; you guys.

TL;DR I’m trying to lose about 40 pounds of belly fat and don’t have an exercise routine but have access to gear to use and need to know some tips on quickly losing said weight. Thanks y’all
>>
Emma Chidgeshit - Sun, 06 May 2018 09:49:53 EST ID:hK8x6Vcu No.94740 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>94738
The quickest answer is eat less than you burn. There is no easy quick route. You just consistently burn more than you eat.

Things like having a well balanced diet, exercising properly, avoiding certain foods will help with either the eating or burning or both, or just make you look good.

You can't target weight loss but if you've got a fat belly, you're carrying elsewhere too.

The key is diet, eat less, drink less. Exercise will accelerate the process but you can't outrun a bad diet. Exercise will also help you retain more muscle as you lose weight which is also good and it will generally improve your quality of life. You absolutely should exercise and I'd recommend a mix of cardio and weights. The former will burn calories immediately and is good for your heart and lungs, the latter will help you retain or even increase muscle mass, is good for your bones and coordination etc. Muscles at rest burn a little more energy than fat does, but if you use your muscles they burn A LOT more and the more muscles the more you can burn.

If you give a fuck about your health then eat lots of fibre, avoid processed carbs, get a good number of veg in and a couple of fruit, still lift weights, this will help you feel great. Oh and fat is only "bad" because its high density calories. Protein powder supplies you with protein it doesn't have any other miraculous properties, its just high density relatively low calorie protein (chicken breast also does the job). You need a certain amount to maintain your muscles and a bit more to ensure they grow. If you're losing weight generally the requirement for both goes up a bit. It will not help you lose weight but honestly what you want to do is lose fat. Calories in calories out is key but if you *just* do that you will do your health a lot less good than if you use this opportunity to rebuild your habits.

If you want to rigorously calculate what you put in and burn and can control that then the as long as it's sound it'll work. But if you want to wing it a bit then I would advise avoiding diet drinks, they work if you calorie count, but if you're just replacing non diet sodas then they increase your appetite by more than the calories cut out. Also don't snack or eat lots of small portions. 2 or 3 big meals in a small window. Also breakfast is not what you think it is. Avoid staple breakfast foods, they're processed carbs even fruit juice is a trap. Most people talk big about breakfast but they have no idea. It's the first meal of the day, you cannot skip it. The healthiest way to eat is to start and finish your meals early. If you lack willpower then it's harder to stop eating than not eat, so start late and finish late but it's not ideal. Oh speaking of willpower tricks, don't buy what you don't want to eat before your next shop. Once you know your limits you can keep stocks of shit, but to start with don't.
>>
Rebecca Hobbleville - Thu, 10 May 2018 00:15:47 EST ID:+nestRVT No.94744 Ignore Report Quick Reply
As >>94740 said: limit your intake.

Workout, preferably a mix of resistance (weight) training and cardio. For a beginner, get a few good lift exercises you can do and do all of them every 3 days. On off days, go running or something. What you do in the gym won't make as much of a difference as how much you eat will, though.

Eat less. Count calories. Counting calories is not fun but it is effective. Make sure you're getting enough protein and good carbs, and then just worry about meeting your calorie requirement. The pounds will come off quickly.
>>
Hannah Mudgestad - Mon, 14 May 2018 20:35:39 EST ID:7lmGEXBW No.94750 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I have to concur with the 2 dudes above me, especially on counting your calories.

In September 2017 (29 yo, 5'11", weighing 202) I started counting calories after 5 years of little gains in the gym. It's now May 2018 and I'm at 172, almost at my target weight of 165. I'm happy with the progress I've made, and I'm starting to be proud of my physique after 20 years of being skinny-fat.
It's neither a "secret technique" nor is it the only way to lose and MAINTAIN weight. I don't believe there's a universal way to lose fat and weight because we all have different needs, tolerances, schedules, lives.
However, I have found that for me personally, counting calories is the most efficient, effective and tolerable way to lose and maintain weight.
It wasn't easy, atleast not at first because you suddenly have to put a LOT of thought in what you eat, and weigh everything. It requires you to drastically change your eating habits if you only thought about protein on your lifting days.
There's going to be sacrifices, but I promise you it's all going to be worth it.

Here's some tips:
  1. Find a good smartphone app (I use one that's like myfitnesspal, except with no ads)
  2. When calculating your RDI (Recommended Daily Intake), set your activity level to sendentary even if you lift 4 times a week (unless you work in a mine or something). It's better to underestimate your daily calorie burn and overestimate your calorie intake).
  3. Calculate your protein requirements/recommendations and really try your best to hit that goal every single day. This will not only ensure that you're not lacking protein, but also keep you from just eating trash foods. (I try to consume between 0.8 and 1.0 grams of protein for every pound of body weight)
  4. Weigh yourself often, preferably in the morning as soon as you get out of bed and preferably after your first shit. Don't panic if you've suddenly gained 4 pounds overnight. Weight fluctuates all throughout the day, throughout the week for multiple reasons. Instead, focus on your average weight for the week, and look for a downward trend. If your weight is trending upward or plateauing, look at your average weekly calorie intake.
  5. Don't focus too much on losing weight quickly, instead focus on losing weight consistently over a long period of time. If you lose weight quickly, you'll probably gain it back just as quickly. If you lose it slowly but consistently, you'll build habits over time that will allow you to maintain your weight. Weight is like the inverse of your bank account. You get a lot of money in a short amount of time and you'll want to spend it all quickly. But, if you get that same amount of money over a long period of time, you'll save it up and you'll be a lot less likely to waste it on bullshit you don't need because it took a lot of effort over a long period of time to get that money. The same is true for weight.

Good luck. It's not as bad as it sounds.
>>
Charles Blatherwell - Tue, 15 May 2018 18:15:32 EST ID:hK8x6Vcu No.94752 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>94750
About points 4 and 5.

Water weight is a very real thing. When you first change your diet your will often lose a lot of weight quickly but only for a week or so. If you just go back to normal this weight will come right back on.

3500 calories is 1 pound of fat so about 7000 calories is a kilo. If you drop 500 calories of carbs per day you'll lose a pound a week but for the first week you'll probably drop a kilo as your body stops holding those extra carbs for 4 or 5 days and pulling in several times as much water to maintain your "concentration".

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.