Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Occasional Alcohol Use Effect on Benzo Tolerance by Jarvis Parryhock - Thu, 12 Jul 2018 16:57:12 EST ID:AYXKiYst No.142224 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1531429032193.jpg -(618550B / 604.05KB, 1920x1080) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 618550
Does occasional alcohol use on days which you haven't taken any benzo's tend to effect tolerance to benzos since they both work on GABA-A? I'm looking for firsthand reports mostly and not theories and conjecture, but any kind of helpful replies are welcome.

I don't drink at all anymore because I'm afraid of it raising the therapeutic dosage I need in order to get relief from one of the benzos I'm Rx'd(Valium) and several others I'm not (phenazepam, clonazepam, diclazepam), which are all very long acting benzos if that makes a difference. I only use benzos currently on an as needed basis for GAD(which they work wonders for) and social anxiety which they mildly help, but by a very small margin.

My benzo usage pattern and dosages are as follows:

My max usage on average is 2 times per week or occasionally 3 if I'm having a busy/stressful stretch in my life and I never use more than 10-15 mg of Valium at once and at most 2.5 mg of phenazepam at once(according to Russian literature it's somewhere in-between 5-10x more potent than Valium). If I redose after my morning dosage I will take either the same amount or halve the dosage of each respective benzo to get a restful sleep if the morning dose has completely worn off.

Now to get to the crux of my post. I would like to start drinking when I go on social outings rather than taking a benzo as a couple of beers(2-3) or a shot of whiskey helps much more with my social anxiety and opening me up to conversation than any benzo ever has, including short acting ones like etizolam. Benzo's tend to make my anxiety go away in social settings, but my desire to actually socialize is unchanged. When I have some alcohol though it will effectively lower my social inhibitions and I will become interested in conversation. If I do start using alcohol on an off benzo day for it's social enhancement effects no more than 4-5 times a month will I be fine doing so and not have to ramp up my dosage of benzos on the days I need them for my GAD?

TLDR; I use benzos for GAD 2-3 times a week and want to drink on special occasions when I'm not using benzos, is it likely to effect my benzo tolerance if I keep my drinking to 2-3 beers or a shot of liquor? At most I would be drinking 4 times a month but probably closer to 1 or 2 times.
>>
TinyTrip !5pb17tfZto - Sat, 14 Jul 2018 11:32:29 EST ID:znxz63du No.142240 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>Does occasional alcohol use on days which you haven't taken any benzo's tend to effect tolerance to benzos since they both work on GABA-A?

Yes, but the impact will depend on usage. At what you described it's unlilely to be significant.

Also you're aware that due to diazepam's HL and the that your usage is over a long term, you'll still have a build up of metabolites even on the days you don't take it?

>I'm looking for firsthand reports mostly and not theories and conjecture, but any kind of helpful replies are welcome.

In no way is this intended to be rude,

Both impact the same receptor, albeit through different mechanisms (benzos allosterically bind to GABA). Why would they not impact one another?

You don't need anecdotal advice, this question is answered in any text book/google search.

But for you specifically, with infrequent usage it's unlikely to be noticeable.

Source: work, education, experience

>TLDR; I use benzos for GAD 2-3 times a week and want to drink on special occasions when I'm not using benzos, is it likely to effect my benzo tolerance if I keep my drinking to 2-3 beers or a shot of liquor? At most I would be drinking 4 times a month but probably closer to 1 or 2 times.

Hypothetically yes, but not in a manner that should be apparent to you.

I didnt drink for 5 years while on cpam, then drank in a simialr patter to how youve described.

I can't say there were any apparent issues.
>>
Nathaniel Bardford - Sat, 14 Jul 2018 13:43:10 EST ID:AYXKiYst No.142241 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>142240

Thanks for all the info!

I figured it will probably effect my tolerance to benzos to some degree, but I should have phrased my OP differently and stated specifically that I was wondering if it would effect it to a perceptible degree given the small amount of alcohol I would be consuming.

I know all GABA agonists present cross tolerance but my understanding was that even different benzos for example all hit a1,a2 etc. to varying degrees which would mean alternating a hypnotic benzo with a mostly anxiolytic benzo could help mitigate overall GABA-A receptor sub unit desensitization. I'm just going by non-cited forum discussion on that subject though so my understanding could be way off. There's also benzoxazines like etifoxine that hit the beta subunits rather than alpha and they supposedly don't effect benzo tolerance so alcohol kind of confuses me.

You cleared things up for me quite well, so thanks again! :) I wasn't sure if alcohol hit the same subunits as benzos did or if it just modulated GABA-A but in a different manner.

I guess even something like Phenibut that hits GABA-B would be safer than alcohol to prevent my tolerance from rising but I've had a bad addiction and withdrawal from using that one in the past so I shy away from ever touching it again. It's too bad because phenibut is more pro-social than alcohol is for me, but I have a severe phobia of ever ingesting it again, not because I'm afraid I'll end up addicted again but because the withdrawal was so brutal to me. It was almost like a long and drawn out benzo withdrawal with PAWS all condensed into a couple weeks of absolute hell and psychosis. My mind perceives it as a poison now.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.