420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Anorganic Chem Q by Cedric Lightfield - Wed, 18 Jan 2017 06:14:04 EST ID:+xNTZBER No.78473 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1484738044507.png -(1001768B / 978.29KB, 734x1088) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 1001768
So me and my colleague are arguing about whether KOH or NaOH is stronger base. While in practice it is not important, I'd argue that theoretically it must be KOH, as the enthalpy of K+ is lower, therefore KOH will be more likely to dissociate. However, the colleague is buzzing around with a dubious Pkbn from chembuddy which states that pKbn values for NaOH and KOH are 0.2 and 0.5 respectively, indicating that NaOH would in fact be a stronger base (and LiOH the strongest). Why would that be? Pls explain. pic unrel
>>
Bombastus !uYErosQbLM!!Mybq1UbK - Thu, 19 Jan 2017 23:37:12 EST ID:Req4jw5M No.78475 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>78473
Electron density is spread out in potassium compared to sodium. This is why potassium carbonate is slightly soluble in acetone compared to sodium and why you see cesium carbonate used in research papers.
The same holds true for hydroxides.
>>
Charlotte Drablingspear - Fri, 27 Jan 2017 22:02:40 EST ID:klMiQ9iI No.78512 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>78473
Any difference between the two is likely very small, but I would have to say that NaOH is stronger because Na is less electronegative than K, so it is more willing to give up that OH group. Pure speculation tho
>>
Bombastus !uYErosQbLM!!Mybq1UbK - Sat, 28 Jan 2017 01:26:18 EST ID:ViNIYyYK No.78513 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>78512
You are right but that's a product, not a reason. The question is WHY it is more electronegative than potassium and the answer is ironic radius trends.

Where my electrons @@@@@@@@@?
>>
Eliza Grandwill - Sat, 28 Jan 2017 02:36:32 EST ID:vukMbHQH No.78515 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>78512

That logic makes no sense to me; I would expect Potassium to be more likely to give up the ghost due it its relatively large electron cloud. The distance of the periphery of the electron cloud to the center of the atoms nucleus should allow easier access to its valence electrons, no?

Which is why pure cesium reacts so violently in water in comparison to lithium, sodium, and potassium.

I guess what I'm saying is NaOH being stronger than KOH goes against my intuition.
>>
Eliza Grandwill - Sat, 28 Jan 2017 02:41:50 EST ID:vukMbHQH No.78516 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Nvm, I gets it.

The ionic association of potassium is stronger than sodium with anions, so you would expect less dissociation as the alkali metals get heavier.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.