420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Changing Carbon to Silicon for new life by Frigate - Tue, 24 Jan 2017 17:41:29 EST ID:B2LKOBQC No.78499 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1485297689266.png -(20193B / 19.72KB, 1008x630) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 20193
So me and this girl on one of my classes had come up with substituting Carbon for Silicon that we could get a new form of life, but one of our teachers said it was unbalanced. What does she mean?
>>
Shit Duppermock - Tue, 24 Jan 2017 23:36:33 EST ID:ThLWKG1Z No.78500 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1485318993655.jpg -(2863B / 2.80KB, 123x125) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I think everyone who has any interest at some point has thought about this.
>WOAH SILICON HAS 4 BONDS ITS THE SAME THING AS CARBON
naivete I almost wish I still had.

Carbon chains with lots of OH groups are sugars.
Silicon chains with lots of OH groups are rocks.

don't let that discourage you from hypothesizing shit though. Thinking about random science shit is really fun and eventually all consuming
>>
Bombastus !uYErosQbLM!!Mybq1UbK - Wed, 25 Jan 2017 00:19:13 EST ID:zWHMkUyt No.78501 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>78499
That doesn't how it works life rock and all.
>>
Bombastus !uYErosQbLM!!Mybq1UbK - Wed, 25 Jan 2017 00:19:55 EST ID:zWHMkUyt No.78502 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>78499
That doesn't how it works life rock and all.

Carbon-Carbon bonds = strong. Silicon-Silicon bonds = weak.
The purpose of C6H12O6 is to have a good energy storage and transfer. You don't have that with Si6............
>>
Press - Wed, 25 Jan 2017 16:24:58 EST ID:uHygcoWK No.78503 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1485379498881.jpg -(110697B / 108.10KB, 670x467) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Si has a lower electronegativity which is one way of explaining that Si- bonds with certain elements behave quite different that C- bonds. Alkanes are quite unrractive whereas silanes react rapidly with water for example.

Another example of sadly untrue hypothesis about xenobiology is arsenic using rna analogues. Sadly arsenic acid esters cant substitute phosphoric acid in neither rna nor energy transport systems because they hydrloyse a looot quicker. I think NASA pushed a study about arsenic using bacteria that cost some poor women her career

The abundance of elements throughout the cosmos is also related to how heavy an element is. Thus its less likely that thered be biologies using elements beyond the second period.
Or rather, even if its possible a lot more biology systems will use second period elements.

The only xenobiology hypothesis that i really like is flourine
Using peptides since theyd behave in a distinct folding pattern eventhough F is almost isosteric to hydrogen. With flourine polymers you could build alot of additional kinds of membranes but flourine is "really" electronegative and with its ole 19 which is just a bad number for being made by stars its unlikely to play a huge role. I could dig out a few papers on that but thatd be off topic

Pic related. My kinda xenobiology
>>
Frigate - Wed, 25 Jan 2017 17:42:36 EST ID:B2LKOBQC No.78504 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>78500
But why tho? they have similar properties, and I'm asking why they don't work. Not because they normally bond with something else
>>
Frigate - Wed, 25 Jan 2017 17:44:20 EST ID:B2LKOBQC No.78505 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>78500
But why tho? I never stated anything about their bonds. I meant they are similar. My main question was why it was unbalanced.
>>
Charlotte Drablingspear - Fri, 27 Jan 2017 21:49:13 EST ID:klMiQ9iI No.78511 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I remember reading somewhere that scientists were able to genetically engineer a bacteria that was able to create silicon bonds, to demonstrate that silicon-based lifeforms are possible and could maybe be found somewhere else in the universe. However I do not believe that they got so far as to create a glucose molecule with silicon instead of carbons. That kind of science is probably decades or centuries away. The reaction you have there is "balanced" in the sense that there are equal numbers of each atom on both sides of the equation. I think your teacher was just trying to tell you that you are full of shit.
>>
Esther Bublingstick - Tue, 31 Jan 2017 21:59:07 EST ID:FMRNgMnb No.78518 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1485917947505.jpg -(69479B / 67.85KB, 800x351) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>78505

The electronegativity. Si forms sissy bonds compared to carbon. It's a harsh universe out there... lots of O2 and water. Without the strength and versitility of the carbon bond, silicon based lifeforms would get wrecked by the simplest forces of nature.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.