Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Kirtaner & Spardot's 420chan Wedding

To all guests, live viewers, and our Internet family, THANK YOU.
VODs will be edited soon, we are all so tired.
Wedding Gifts
Incompetent Physics Professor by Matilda Wugglelore - Thu, 18 Jan 2018 18:30:51 EST ID:MsJwbibf No.78977 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1516318251029.jpg -(32669B / 31.90KB, 480x328) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 32669
Sup /chem/,

I'm taking general physics 2 this semester and I have the same professor I had for physics 1. Now it's just algebra-based, and I've been through calculus, so I was able to breeze through Newtonian mechanics and all that. However this semester is about electromagnetism, circuits, and optics. All topics I have zero exposure to. Now the professor is new to teaching at the college level, his experience is teaching middle-schoolers. He is very (obliviously) condescending and talks to his class of adults like they are 12. He constantly makes sexist or racist jokes (but on the fence enough to not get in trouble) and is always ranting about his personal life or past experiences. When he finally does an actual problem on the board he always struggles with basic spelling and arithmetic, and often fundamentally misunderstands the physics concept he is trying to teach. Several times last semester I had to quietly approach him after class and explain how everything he lectured that day was flawed and the next lecture he would try to fix his fuckup but he ended up just giving everyone lots of freebies on the exams.

My concern is that in this new semester of material I will not get a good exposure or foundation in these topics and might be lost in future courses. Especially electricity and circuits, I really want to learn more about that. I am worried he will teach me some fundamental concepts backward or something. Other than pre-reading the text before class what would you guys recommend to get through this course when the professor is a complete idiot and in my opinion not qualified?
>>
press !//CEObOMBY - Fri, 19 Jan 2018 17:54:45 EST ID:RkUL09QF No.78979 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>78977
is attendane required?
how much of your homework task or practise stuff is available online?
>>
Caroline Druttingham - Tue, 23 Jan 2018 03:02:02 EST ID:bd1Er6gm No.78983 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>78977
>I'm taking general physics 2
>it's just algebra-based
>and I've been through calculus

Why would you ever do that? Calculus based physics isn't any harder and you just shot yourself in the foot for future course selection.

>My concern is that in this new semester of material I will not get a good exposure or foundation in these topics and might be lost in future courses

What future courses require algebra-based physics as a prerequisite? No physics or chemistry or engineering course would normally accept it as a substitution.

>what would you guys recommend to get through this course when the professor is a complete idiot and in my opinion not qualified?

Have you tried switching into the calculus-based physics 2 course? That would seem to be like the best course of action; you'll get a different (and better) professor and a stronger foundation in E&M since many of the concepts are only naturally expressible by calculus (in fact, most of vector calculus was invented for E&M).

I would guess that the reason why the professor is so bad is probably because the college see algebra-based physics as a remedial class for weak students outside of STEM to fulfill their technical gen-ed requirements and doesn't want to spend resources on it....
>>
Augustus Fingerworth - Tue, 23 Jan 2018 09:29:09 EST ID:MsJwbibf No.78985 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>78983

im going into PT so i wont need any more physics or math. most coursework is in biology
>>
Ian Pillernig - Thu, 25 Jan 2018 23:51:12 EST ID:MsJwbibf No.78987 Ignore Report Quick Reply
so this professor has called out of work the past 3/4 classes. not sure if he is even coming back next week. also the last lecture i had the sub was flushed, had red eyes, mumbled really quietly to himself, and when i approached him, reeked of vodka. so basically i am teaching myself about charges and electric energy and shit
>>
Polly Pottingcocke - Fri, 26 Jan 2018 22:18:48 EST ID:a9li1sY3 No.78988 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>78987
LOL. Where is this. I'm unemployed, and could definitely be a sub there.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.