Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

WEED IS LEGAL IN CANADA! Live 420chan Q&A and Site Merchandise Giveaways on Stream

Live 420chan Q&A, 420chan merchandise giveaways, Logitech hardware giveaways, partying on Twitch tonight!
G502 Giveaway Ends @ Midnight     Q&A Discussion Thread
Is ethanol really that easy? by Caroline Cleddleteck - Mon, 22 Jan 2018 20:30:04 EST ID:cTRcFZHN No.78981 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1516671004570.png -(68997B / 67.38KB, 1188x464) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 68997
I haz a question, /chem/: can I use regular rubbing alcohol for this extraction? I am a brainlet but I would really like to try this without pucking my guts out.

Also do you prefer acids or bases?
>>
Angus Drollerchut - Mon, 22 Jan 2018 23:56:39 EST ID:vEkGw4n0 No.78982 Ignore Report Quick Reply
isopropanol is quite a bit more polar than diethyl ether. I don't think it would work. You could buy xylenes from a hardware store though.
>>
!scyTheNg3k - Tue, 23 Jan 2018 20:05:11 EST ID:hBAZGxou No.78986 Ignore Report Quick Reply
idk who tf wrote that but it's bad sorry to say. here's a real tested tek:

>(all steps to be done under a red photographic light)

>1.) 8 kg of HBWR seeds are ground to a fine powder with the assistance of dry ice or liquid nitrogen.

[note: cold makes the seeds brittle, good for grinding]

>2.) to the seeds is added a chilled (30*F) acidic methanol (80% MeOH/DH2O) solution of tartaric acid (saturated). the ammount needed is just enough to cover
the powder with 1cm of fluid and is allowed to stand cold for 24 hours in the dark. more acidic methanol may be added as the seed powder absorbes it.

>3.) after 24 hours the methanol is removed by vaccume to compleate dryness. the seeds are then made into a slurry with DMF/DCM and loaded into a large column,
the DMF/DCM is allowed to drain through and more is added until test drops evapurate with no residue. save the DMF/DCM filtate.

tartaric acid and lots of other undesirable crap dissolves in DMF/DCM, but salts, including LSA tartrate, do not. we convert the LSA to a salt and then remove excess tartaric acid and most other soluble components of the seed.

>4.) the residual DMF/DCM is then removed by vaccume and the seed powder loaded back into the column and filled with chilled MeOH and allowed to stand for 2hr before
draining. this is repeated 4 times and the methanol extracts combined, filtered and reduced under vaccume to a small volume. cold ether is added to the methanol solution
untill cloudiness does not dispell and is placed in a very cold fridge for the crystals to set overnight. save this solution. this should afford 6-10g mixed LAA's as the tartarate salt.

ok the seed powder is wet with DMF/DCM, so we want to get rid of that before extracting with methanol; when that's done, we extract the powder four times with cold methanol, combine extracts, reduce "to a small volume" and add diethyl ether to precipitate LSA crystals.

tbh i'm not sure what happens to the DMF/DCM filtrate, i can only assume he just wants to recover his solvents. DMF/DCM is probably a 1:1 mixture. note recovery is 0.1% of seed weight so if you only have 10g of seeds you're gonna get back about 10mg of LSA which is a few (active) doses but also a very very small amount of chemical, practically impossible to work with if we're being honest
>>
Katsuragi !/pe1aKvMmQ - Thu, 24 May 2018 22:14:30 EST ID:4Q6JexVr No.79134 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>78986
LSA...
Tastes like envelope sticky stuff.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.