Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Kirtaner & Spardot's 420chan Wedding

To all guests, live viewers, and our Internet family, THANK YOU.
VODs will be edited soon, we are all so tired.
Wedding Gifts
Reducing 3,4,5-trimethoxy-beta-nitrostryrene to mescaline by Matilda Bomblehit - Wed, 13 Jun 2018 11:03:55 EST ID:rajg/xs8 No.79145 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1528902235968.png -(5534B / 5.40KB, 460x300) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 5534
I want to reduce 3,4,5-trimethoxy-beta-nitrostyrene to the amine. What will do this? I've found so much worthless and bullshit information. It seems the main options are:

1. Zn/HCl or Fe/HCl. I don't know if this goes from the nitrostyrene to the amine or if I need to use NaBH4 to first reduce the double bond. Also, some people say the yields are good and others say the yields are shit.

2. LAH. Not an option.

3. SnCl2 to reduce the nitrostyrene to an oxime and then Zn to reduce the oxime to the amine. I've never found proof of anyone doing this reaction on nitrostyrenes. SnCl2 is good for reducing nitropropenes but who knows if that applies to nitrostyrenes.

4. Al/Hg. Literally toxic. I haven't found any reports of people using the less toxic Al/Ga or Al/Cu amalgam. I also get conflicting information saying Al/Hg reduces directly to the amine, yet others are saying NaBH4 must be used to first reduce the double bond and then the Al/Hg reaction can be run to reduce the nitro group to an amine -- which is it?

Any input would be appreciated, especially from people who have actually run these reactions on this particular substrate.
>>
press - Thu, 14 Jun 2018 15:10:21 EST ID:Hu9hjiL2 No.79146 Ignore Report Quick Reply
whats "literally toxic" as opposed to toxic?
>>
Phoebe Wicklefoot - Wed, 20 Jun 2018 13:34:12 EST ID:f7Wsgp11 No.79148 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>79145
Are you planning on making larger quantities? if not, just go with al/hg. use your common sense and everything will be fine. solubility of mercury salts in organic solvents is negligible. when you worry about the organomercury compounds, just give your product (salt) a proper wash with organic solvents and acetone and you are golden

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.