420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Alcohol Abstinence Thread by Caroline Greenridge - Tue, 22 Aug 2017 07:47:47 EST ID:5nT9NWqY No.29436 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1503402467072.jpg -(163907B / 160.07KB, 908x936) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 163907
Greetings /detox/.

After really admitting to myself how badly my alcohol addiction was affecting other aspects of my life, I have made a serious decision to stop usage for a while. I am going to document my journey in this thread to amuse the bored, encourage those who may be dealing with similar problems, and to keep myself focused and honest. If I slip up I will be honest as well.

Little background:
>Duration of alcoholism: 8 years
>Frequency of consumption: 5-7 days per week with no period of abstinence longer than 2 days
>Amount consumed per day: ~7oz of ethanol in an evening
>Affected aspects of life: work, school, relationships, hobbies, mental and physical health

I am currently on my fourth day with no alcohol and I am already seeing and feeling notable improvements in my body and mind. I will go over how each day felt.

>First 24 Hours
By far the worst. Not only from the withdrawals, but the knowledge that booze is not coming any time soon. Sweating, shaking hands, lack of appetite, insomnia, flushed skin, increased blood pressure, irritability, dark and disturbing dreams when sleep comes in fits

>24-48 Hours
The dandruff I started to notice over the past couple of months already looks almost completely cleared up, amazingly, as well as a few pimples on my face. Bloating of abdomen and general system-wide inflammation decreased. Belly size shrunk, clothes fitting looser. Appetite growing. Sleeping still difficult, but less sweating. Occasional faint auditory hallucinations.

>48-72 Hours
Getting more bearable. Starting to feel a tiny glimmer of hope that I can rise out of the hole I have dug. Shits are solid and don't smell sickly sweet. Further decrease in bloating and inflammation. Since digestive system has finally caught a break from continuous processing of toxic poison sludge (I mostly drink 40's containing HFCS), my appetite is extremely strong. Mind fog starting to lift. Almost scared at the resurgent cognition after removing CNS depressant. Like a muffled voice that can finally speak freely, my thoughts are racing almost faster than I can keep up.

>72-96 Hours
This is where I am now. Can't sleep tonight, I'll just pull an all-nighter and crash tomorrow night. After laying in bed awake for a few hours I decided to make this thread. My digestive system feels wonderful. You don't know how nice a solid poop is until you are a truly depraved alcoholic. My mind feels clear. I am looking forward to a nice big nutritious breakfast tomorrow since I won't be hungover and bloated and nibbling on toast. I am no longer perspiring abnormally, and the shakes in my hands are almost 100% gone, I can hold them very still like I used to.

I won't blog this shit every day, but every few days I'll update my detox thread for my own viewing later. Anyone has comments/questions, toss 'em in the thread.
>>
Shitting Pickshaw - Thu, 24 Aug 2017 01:35:04 EST ID:detTgL0H No.29438 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1503552904756.jpg -(124777B / 121.85KB, 1200x800) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I can't relate to a lot of your beer-specific problems OP, but I'm a recovering vodkaholic also trying to shunt a $300/week coke habit. My typical night saw a 750 of New Amst and some lines. Pic related, when advertising gets too real.

The first week for me literally required tapering (when your heart is going wrong because you didn't drink today, you should probably have a drink. One, not 7, mind...) and trading blow for Rockstar so I could get aaaanything done.

I just finished my first week without a drink as of this morning. I'm now past most of the physical withdrawal of both things, but I still feel seriously depleted like I just got back from Coachella or something. It's getting easier, but I'm definitely not healthy yet.

Biggest motivators for me are lifestyle related. I could probably continue this party cycle till I literally die, but I hit a wall. I looked back at the summer and things I wanted to do, and realized how fucking much I squandered partying hard on the weeknights at local clubs and bars and shit. Literally thousands just this summer, that's a fucking drag. I wanna do much cooler shit. Hell, if I had this under control I could be anywhere in the world having a martini right now. That's my motivation.

But back to where we are now...
Sleep is goddamn impossible, I feel you there. Best of luck. Hope the nightmares aren't horrific, but they prolly are. I lost probably 30 pounds over the last half a year, so I'm eating really intentionally to get that back, but my appetite still sucks.

We got this though, dude. Gonna be so worth it to see the other side.
>>
Nigel Figgledock - Wed, 30 Aug 2017 20:18:22 EST ID:OYtBNURz No.29450 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>29436
Not sure what 7oz equals but withdrawawl is certainly dangerous. A trip to an emergency room or some unguent care centers, primary doctor can give you benzos to get you through 3 4 days.
Past 3 days apatite should be fairly good. By 5 days should be back to basic activity. Even
a new found energy to accomplish things.
>>
Lydia Pittwill - Sat, 23 Sep 2017 07:23:46 EST ID:Fyx6fbQl No.29477 Ignore Report Quick Reply
total failure so far guys. haven't had a success as good as the OP since i wrote it. been on the booze about 27 of the past 30 days
>>
Amsterdam - Mon, 25 Sep 2017 00:26:30 EST ID:Hm5eYvHT No.29480 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>29477
Also bounced back, but I'm still reduced about 90% from where I was earlier on. Keep at it, we'll get there. Or just switch to better booze so the consequences add up faster LOL.
>>
John Pommlebury - Thu, 28 Sep 2017 22:19:03 EST ID:oF3ykWyb No.29496 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Comment>>29436
please don't give up. I'm 26 years old and an alcoholic. I've tried quitting several times and made it 5 days before caving back in. Because im not very social it doesnt effect me much but i do want to stop and be more social and go out more. Maybe seeing you succeed will help motivate me? Since ive already been drinking tonight, ill make it my last night and try to go along with you.
>>
James Pallerlock - Thu, 26 Oct 2017 04:15:33 EST ID:Hm5eYvHT No.29527 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>29438
It me, the vodkaholic.
Not without my failures, but things are going ok. I had a pretty bad moment last week and drank a bottle, woke up by the bridge at a homeless camp, hated everything and came too damn close to offing myself...

But it was sorta motivational, reminded me that this is the explicit kind of bullshit I just don't have room for in my life. Making the voices in my head shut the fuck up is why I drink from the get go. I'm trying to believe that eventually I'll get some kinda emotional stability back, but it's gonna take a while. Been basically sober (sans a beer or two) since that incident. Despite taking steps backwards it still feels like I'm making progress, and I still want it bad enough, fortunately.

Good luck fuckers.
>>
James Pallerlock - Thu, 26 Oct 2017 04:15:33 EST ID:Hm5eYvHT No.29528 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>29438
It me, the vodkaholic.
Not without my failures, but things are going ok. I had a pretty bad moment last week and drank a bottle, woke up by the bridge at a homeless camp, hated everything and came too damn close to offing myself...

But it was sorta motivational, reminded me that this is the explicit kind of bullshit I just don't have room for in my life. Making the voices in my head shut the fuck up is why I drink from the get go. I'm trying to believe that eventually I'll get some kinda emotional stability back, but it's gonna take a while. Been basically sober (sans a beer or two) since that incident. Despite taking steps backwards it still feels like I'm making progress, and I still want it bad enough, fortunately.

Good luck fuckers.
>>
Fucking Blythelock - Sun, 29 Oct 2017 12:01:44 EST ID:zAarJhX4 No.29535 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>29528
Medical mj or talk to a doctor

You can quit booze, I did.

Medical professionals were the solution.
>>
composure - Mon, 20 Nov 2017 05:55:23 EST ID:xIPywP6Y No.29577 Ignore Report Quick Reply
you're a mime type

these people are oppressing me by having this limiting presence on my aura
authority, man
fuck that weak in the knees
bleaker than dead trees
hitters only get cheese
when they walk like Gs

instead of drinking, i'm eating stale tortilla chips

i'm def taking it one activity at a time rn

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.