420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Do I have a problem or am I worrying too much? by George Mickledadge - Thu, 12 Oct 2017 18:55:33 EST ID:VdJKhi8R No.275963 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1507848933914.jpg -(21411B / 20.91KB, 480x379) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 21411
Hi /hooch/. So I'm 21 and in college. I've been sober from alcohol about a week, but before that week began, I had drank every night for 3-4 weeks. I started off drinking a few shots of jack daniels/vodka each night but I switched to mike's hard lemonade because I was scared the hard liqour was less healthy. Turns out it's the other way around I guess but that isn't the point.

I like drinking at night to relax. Sometimes I'd drink a Mike's before a particularly boring class. I'm a timid person and I'm kind of worried I'm becoming an alcoholic though. Like isn't a month a long time to drink every night? I took a break sometimes for a day or two to prove I could.

And like I'm not dependent on it or anything, but like I'd really like to drink some cool refreshing hard lemonade right now and relax, but I'm scared I'm digging myself into an addiction? Can anyone shed some light on my rational or irrational fear?
>>
Phineas Dabberfoot - Thu, 12 Oct 2017 19:44:10 EST ID:AZHLDCBy No.275969 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1507851850577.jpg -(23526B / 22.97KB, 330x309) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
If you're drinking frequently enough to be concerned about alcoholism, then you may have a disposition towards it. Sounds like you're already using alcohol as escapism. You can't give yourself a drug every day and expect it not to have an impact on your mental functions.

Just take it easy if you're concerned. Only drink to celebrate, only drink on weekends, etc. Like other addictions, it will sneak up on you. You're definitely not addicted yet. It's plainly apparent when you are. However, you definitely have some warning signs.
>>
Doris Buzzworth - Thu, 12 Oct 2017 22:54:49 EST ID:VdJKhi8R No.275973 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>275969
Thanks. I'm just scared. I know I don't want to fuck up my life with so many people who care about me, I have chances others don't and I'm grateful for them deep down, but I get caught up in depresion and it's hard to remember how grateful I am till I'm so drunk and crying listening to sad music wondering how I can fuck my life up. I'm gonna cut it back to just Fridays or the weekends. I'm gonna post in this thread next Friday and let you know if I failed or not. <3
>>
Doris Buzzworth - Thu, 12 Oct 2017 23:01:10 EST ID:VdJKhi8R No.275974 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>275973
nb but im workin on my 4th mikes hard lemonade now :c sad drinking and crying lol it feels cleansing in a way
>>
Charlotte Claystock - Thu, 12 Oct 2017 23:39:11 EST ID:4wCxlGB/ No.275975 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>275963
The true signs of alcoholism are much more dependent on motivations and control rather than any strict rule of quantity or frequency. Since I turned 21 (roughly 3.5 years ago) I have probably consumed alcohol in some quantity or another on about 70% of those days.

For example, the frequency and average quantity I drink between now and 9 months ago hasn't really changed. But 9 months ago I was unemployed and getting drunk off screwdrivers at 9AM on a fucking Wednesday morning just to kill the boredom and anxiety of not finding a job. Now I have a promising career and like to get a little tipsy at happy hour with coworkers/friends.

Back in those days I knew it wasn't a good idea and during each hangover I'd say I was done. But inevitably the boredom and anxiety would hit me in a moment of weakness and *crack* another beer is opened. And that lack of control was alarming. Now that I just drink to have fun and not to "treat" something, there's a lot more control and I have no problems keeping my priorities straight.

The one caveat though is that although I have no problem abstaining altogether, when I start drinking I really do like to continue drinking. I can still keep this impulse in check if I have good reason to but the desire is definitely there and it's much more difficult to stop after I've started than not starting at all. This is pretty common with a lot of people so it's good to think about this aspect as well.

Overall I'd say you're fine dude. As long as you're not failing classes or otherwise allowing detriment in your life because of your alcohol consumption then that's really what matters. Of course if you do really feel like you might not have the control you want then it's always best to tread lightly. Alcohol's a fucking sneaky substance, and it's wide social availability and acceptance doesn't help
>>
Lydia Meddleman - Fri, 13 Oct 2017 00:27:15 EST ID:bPSpSzqQ No.275979 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1507868835677.jpg -(19082B / 18.63KB, 300x250) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>275963
If you're drinking mike hard's lemonade you're not a proper alcoholic stop being a fag
>>
Emma Bunderfire - Fri, 13 Oct 2017 18:14:07 EST ID:eTHolLKE No.275985 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>275979

This. Stop overeacting, little college fag.
>>
Dextrolord - Fri, 13 Oct 2017 19:10:57 EST ID:DX1AhcNQ No.275986 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1507936257059.jpg -(60377B / 58.96KB, 400x400) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>275979
ya it'd be hard to get a proper dependency going with mikes not to mention you would probly run out of money by the time you got drunk 4 or 5 times

but be careful I guess

by the way no one wants to read about you drinking cuz your sad. Life sucks for everyone get over it and it even sounds like your life is better than most. You can afford school AND mikes?? fuck you man send me 3 bucks so I can get a tallboy tonight
>>
Walter Sirringdale - Sat, 14 Oct 2017 00:01:12 EST ID:AosnAocM No.275988 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1507953672928.jpg -(589295B / 575.48KB, 1152x1536) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>275963
I was about to explain a bunch of bullshit, compare your life to mine and talk about stuff but if you are seriously posting this then you most likely have nothing to worry about. Straight up. To the point where i feel like you are trolling now, but your first post passed my my radar so who knows.

>>275975
>Alcohol's a fucking sneaky substance, and it's wide social availability and acceptance doesn't help
This is is hella right. I have taken countless drugs in countless ways, alcohol is one of the sneakiest if not the sneakiest drug. But if you don't have any problems with other substances and are ACTUALLY worrying about drinking daily for a month then i'd assume you are fine. However who knows. If you are worried enough to post this then limit yourself to 2-4 drinks a day. I mean you can drink 4 beers a day without having any real impact on your health. There are PLENTY of folks who drink at that level and stay there. I don't care if you are drinking a shower beer, lunchbreak cocktail or whatever. As long as you are at 4 a day you will not notice any health/life impact unless you are either A. one of those retards who act overwhelmingly stupid after 1-2 drinks or B. Have some underlying health/mental issues. Weekends i guess you can bump it up to 6 but you will be pushing it at that point. Alcohol has this wonderful way of making you not give a rats ass about your alcohol intake.

Is this plan optimal? No. Drinking zero to one alcoholic beverage a day is optimal. But 4 won't hurt you at all. I think if i were in your position i would find that deal reasonable and doable. If you are logical make it 4 max a day.

>>275963
On another note... Who the fuck are you and how did you find this site? I'm serious. I wish i were like you god damn.
>>
Phyllis Sodgecocke - Sat, 14 Oct 2017 00:49:14 EST ID:Q2zj4l0h No.275991 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1507956554856.png -(130855B / 127.79KB, 246x220) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Thanks for all the responses! <3 I feel better now.

>>275988
I have always liked studying drugs and this site was one of the more popular image boards that wasn't totally garbage. Thank you for your compliments! Also that's nice to know about the four beers thing. Does that mean four shots of liqour is okay too?
>>
Reuben Snodham - Sat, 14 Oct 2017 22:53:51 EST ID:CQn/YHuV No.276001 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>275991
Alcohol is alcohol, if anything liquor is healthiest because there's no extra sugar or simple carbs. The stigma comes from the fact that you can get drunk on so little physical liquid so quickly that people often go overboard, whereas something like beer is a little more self-regulating. Just pay attention to what you're drinking and you'll be fine
>>
Charlotte Budgelock - Sun, 15 Oct 2017 23:53:47 EST ID:zxdWGN64 No.276008 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>276001
While straight spirits are healthiest in terms of lacking extra carbs or sugars that can affect your health there's also evidence that indicates wine, particularly red wine, is better for your health than spirits or beer due to being higher in antioxidants and phenols. Other than this it is know that drinking in moderation, any form of alcohol, is actually good for your health and people who drink in moderation are less prone to certain health problems.
>>
Lydia Crellyfoot - Mon, 16 Oct 2017 00:42:03 EST ID:OweiUeLD No.276011 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>276008
Yeah but "in moderation" means 2 drinks tops. I doubt anyone here drinks in moderation only.
>>
Charlotte Budgelock - Mon, 16 Oct 2017 00:57:25 EST ID:zxdWGN64 No.276012 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>276011
Yeah... according to official sources, drinking in moderation is two drinks per men per day and one drink for women with the weekly total of drinks not exceeding fourteen for men and seven women. Personally, while I can agree that women should drink less since it's been shown with actual research that they don't process alchohol as efficiently or tolerate it as well as men with higher rates of alcohol dependence and disease, I think those limits are a bit unreasonable given anecdotal/real world evidence not from the doctors and antidrug people concerned for our health. Walter Sirringdale's suggestion seems much more reasonable. As long as you generally only limit yourself to two to four drinks per day and don't binge except on rare occasions you're probably not going to have any noticeable health problems.
>>
Caroline Wobberfore - Tue, 17 Oct 2017 00:07:46 EST ID:xf1SwNzj No.276035 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>275963

Fuck, you have no idea how similar your situation is to mine. College guy, drinking about a Mike's (or equivalent) basically every night for a month or two, I work, I go to class, and I get shit done, but I also rationalize like mother fucker, "oh I got X done, I deserve a drink tonight" etc. I don't want to quit drinking 100%, but I'm trying to be able to just fucking drink on the weekends, or to celebrate, hopefully I can make a change, godspeed to you guy, you're not the only one out there by any means
>>
Beatrice Sobberkirk - Tue, 17 Oct 2017 05:04:48 EST ID:ydJmX8xf No.276036 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>276012
Yeah that seems fair enough. A little more reasonable than 2 drinks, but I feel like 4 drinks/day would eventually wear on you.
>>
Eugene Pickdale - Wed, 18 Oct 2017 20:00:44 EST ID:zxdWGN64 No.276059 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>276036
On factor I'd note is that you may be able to get away with drinking a bit more per day if you're European or otherwise come from a heavily historically agrarian society with a lot of drinking. It's been shown that people of European descent have a higher alcohol tolerance due to a combination of higher alcohol dehydrogenase levels and higher average body mass than other ethnicities with corresponding lower rates of alcohol dependence and disease.

Personally I feel comfortable having 1-3 drinks per day and binge maybe a couple times a month. I don't really expect any health problems from this since it seems moderate. I did have a bit of a drinking problem a few years back with being much more prone to binge drinking and drinking throughout the day, but I've got a handle on it now. Going through a withdrawal where I couldn't sleep for a few days and had intense anxiety was enough to scare me straight and be more careful with alcohol.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.