420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
SURVIVALISTIC INVENTIONS, MODIFICATIONS, & OTHER HACKS OF SUCH IMPLEMENTATIONS by Graham Bobblehatch - Sun, 19 Jan 2014 12:04:01 EST ID:7Y2ZM7Iw No.12630 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1390151041573.jpg -(921522B / 899.92KB, 1200x5279) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 921522
{Okay, well, besides hoping this board survives, thrives, and eventually moves more than say /art/ does, here's to hoping for a pretty packed & kick ass thread}

>ITT:
So, I call this the Bait Bobber Bottle. A bait-fishing keychain kit ideal for lakes, ponds, & slow-stream/river shoreline fishing. This is something I just allofasudden threw together from handmedown mish-mash gear my uncle never used anymore after rewatching the first Rambo movie and recollecting all of the wannabe 80's & 90's handles-full-of-life-providing survival kit-knife ads you saw in the back of magazines and suchwhat. The bobber part & function was never an intention and actually an unaccounted for side-effect of such an idea and concept.
As you can see by the second image, with everything from image 4 still packed inside of it, and even with another 2-inch banana weight clipped on (no clue on it's exact weight but a baby would completely cry if you chucked it at their face), the 50ML liquor bottle still completely floats and functions as a bobber. This is totally a prototype though:
(1) the safety seal ring around the bobber-bottle's neck is fine in an emergency survival situation but I wouldn't trust it to stay on a keyring indefinitely so it should be replaced by something stronger for the abuse of daily carry/dangling.
(2) the waxed papery gasket inside the cap is probably more likely designed with the thought of keeping liquid contents in, but a pancake-like rubber/solid-synthetic disc gasket would maybe be a better & more reliable option.
(3)This kit totally has more room in it for additions; I'm planning on adding a few long lasting modified strike-anywhere survival matches and a bare-bones ultra-thin small-game knife, something like a mini K55K.
(4) The bass guitar string segment with the bent angle on the end in the third image is to function as a gaff hook to pull out & pack in equipment.
(5) The spool is a 3 or 4 inch segment of standard home-use oxygen breathing tube slitted up through the segment with one parallel line along it's length and wound with 20 pound test line (never measured it out but I'm sure I got at least 50-70 feet on there if not a close 100). When you start winding it, make sure you start with a one/one-&-a-half inch gap between the ends on the oxygen tube with the slit on the outward side, as winding fishing line into it will constrict it and get tighter/shrink upon itself. Also, it should be rotated once a month or so to stop memory-shaping although the shape as you can see it from the last image isn't too bad as string-warping/shaping goes.
(6) The bobby pin is because who the fuck knows. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let's see what you got and what you've done, /fo/. Input/advice welcomed as well.
>>
Jenny Senderdodging - Sun, 19 Jan 2014 16:51:55 EST ID:Bg2ZJYA5 No.12632 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1390168315868.jpg -(32585B / 31.82KB, 381x462) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>12630
id like to see how that bottle actally does at bobbin, fish a finicky

hooks but no bait?

hard to use bottle that requires a tool for inserting and removing stuff.

id settle on an altoids tin survival kit before i picked that up
>>
James Granddale - Mon, 20 Jan 2014 16:53:15 EST ID:7Y2ZM7Iw No.12639 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1390254795080.jpg -(326653B / 319.00KB, 550x346) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>12632
>id like to see how that bottle actally does at bobbin, fish a finicky
What the fuck are you talkin' about, it'd float on the surface and be pretty much ignored by fish just like any other fishing bobber would.
>hooks but no bait?
You can somehow make it to the shoreline of a lake or pond but you can't turn over a log or dig up a friggin' worm? I mean, sure, there's still some room in the kit like I already said for further additions to it if you wanted to encapsulate some of that fake bait crap you can buy from a walmart or wherever.
>hard to use bottle that requires a tool for inserting and removing stuff.
NO. See, the tool makes it EASY to use something that would normally be hard. And besides the spool of fishing line and the leader line, everything else like the hooks and weights and the other additions I mentioned that I'm going to add to it slide out and pour right out of the bottle into the palm of your hand and go back in just as easily.
>>
Nicholas Cropperstog - Mon, 20 Jan 2014 19:14:46 EST ID:Bg2ZJYA5 No.12640 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12639

ok, so why dont we put one of them litle bobbers in an altoids tin, forget the tool and eat the worm.
>>
Edwin Climmerstick - Sat, 25 Jan 2014 13:07:06 EST ID:iF5Hcal0 No.12649 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Take a AA battery. Wrap it in electrical tape. take a wire, and tape one end to the negative end. strip just the middle of the wire.

Take the other and put a little bit of tape, just enough to protect your finger from touching either the wire or positive end.

That part in the middle you stripped will get hot enough to start a fire if you know what you're doing.

Boom. Prison lighter.
>>
Eliza Pimmlefuck - Mon, 28 Aug 2017 18:43:57 EST ID:diYwNwg8 No.14639 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12632

Altoids tin hack;

Make a charcloth/char tinder box by taking an altoids tin and putting a few air holes in the side with a thumbtack then place tinder inside the box, shut the box and put it in the oven or on a campfire for a few hours. The tinder inside will char, making it very easy to catch a spark. You can light some of this tinder, put it back in the tin then put the tin in a neck satchet and wear it under your coat as a body warmer that will smolder for hours, you'll also have a ready ember for a fire. Best to keep one lit right before a rainstorm so you can start a quick campfire.
>>
Eliza Pimmlefuck - Mon, 28 Aug 2017 18:54:46 EST ID:diYwNwg8 No.14640 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>14639

Water bottle crayfish/British hack

Cut a water bottle in half, put the top part inside the bottom part with some bait in the bottom, melt the edges together with a lighter or burning stick and tie some string to it, better yet paracord as you can melt it to the plastic. Easy to make a bunch of these from trash.
>>
Eliza Pimmlefuck - Mon, 28 Aug 2017 18:58:42 EST ID:diYwNwg8 No.14641 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>14640

Bait fish not British. Spell check.

Water bottle water filter;

Cut water bottle in half, turn top part upside down and insert a piece of cloth lining the mouth of the bottle. Layer in charcoal dust, fine sand, pebbles and then small rocks all interspersed with bits of charcoal.
>>
Eliza Pimmlefuck - Mon, 28 Aug 2017 19:09:21 EST ID:diYwNwg8 No.14642 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>14641

Pour water in and let it filter. Good for a cup of clean water in an hour.

DIY lifestraw; https://youtu.be/zXJypLXwsiw
>>
Martha Grimdale - Sat, 21 Oct 2017 07:46:24 EST ID:kQsJmpB7 No.14661 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>14642
have fun shitting yourself to death
>>
Hannah Covingford - Thu, 26 Oct 2017 13:25:46 EST ID:SYA0jHaD No.14662 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Anyone intrested in a few pages? Has alot of cool tips.
>>
Cedric Chummlefuck - Wed, 01 Nov 2017 13:24:55 EST ID:PV3mpdV8 No.14666 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1509557095570.jpg -(3329428B / 3.18MB, 4032x3024) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
DICKS EVERYWHERE
>>
Cedric Chummlefuck - Wed, 01 Nov 2017 13:26:40 EST ID:PV3mpdV8 No.14667 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1509557200570.jpg -(3151900B / 3.01MB, 4032x3024) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
DICKS EVERYWHERE

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.