420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Dental Care in the apocalypse by Augustus Sesslestone - Fri, 14 Nov 2014 14:45:32 EST ID:6mUIjfXm No.13596 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1415994332696.jpg -(28858B / 28.18KB, 403x378) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 28858
Okay, so when the big one comes, obviously the electric toothbrush and various pastes will be a luxurious legend of the before times.

But we also know that improper dental care is a gateway to death by heart disease and infection. Not to mention pain from rotting teeth can be a distraction you don't need when you're in the shit.

How can one take care of their teeth without society to rely on for supplies?
>>
Archie Blarrykurk - Fri, 14 Nov 2014 18:37:20 EST ID:YQbpBzlB No.13597 Report Quick Reply
Chew on a twig, fray the end and brush your teeth with that. For floss, thin strands of sinew or other strong thread-like material. If your tooth is rotting out, hope you find someone with some opiates or other strong pain killer, then use a screwdriver a hammer and a pair of pliers to remove the tooth.

Tooth decay and other dental problems will probably be less of an issue with people not eating tons of sugary shit anymore though.
>>
Nathaniel Pubberman - Wed, 19 Nov 2014 04:13:55 EST ID:DEhmkdKa No.13601 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>13597

I think just a manual toothbrush and water would work better than chewing on a twig. You might do more harm than good chewing on a dirty twig.
>>
Frederick Sockledale - Fri, 21 Nov 2014 11:44:37 EST ID:emH3AgiE No.13605 Ignore Report Quick Reply
toothbrush and clean water.

Since you won't be eating sugar all to often. You don't need any chemicals to clean your teeth since there won't be much bacteria that will bother if there's no sugars.

But if you have it, Bicarbonate (baking) powder mixed with water will work.
So will vinegar, Won't do much for breath, but it will for hygiene.
>>
Augustus Blussleridge - Fri, 21 Nov 2014 14:32:51 EST ID:HvQLexjo No.13606 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>13605

Wouldn't vinegar eat the enamel off your teeth in the long term? Eating and drinking a lot of acidic stuff like soda or citrus fruit can ruin your teeth as badly as sugar.
>>
cursive !M6R0eWkIpk - Sat, 22 Nov 2014 10:54:41 EST ID:Lgurnqyq No.13607 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1416671681403.jpg -(2071499B / 1.98MB, 3648x2736) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>13605
Playing the tape out a little further though, one could expect looting and scavenging in once populated areas where hunting and farming arent immediately accessible. Presumably all the real food will get snatched up quick and rot first, leaving little but garbage and junkfood left for scavengers to eat. Sodapop, twinkies, chocolate frosted sugarbombs.

gank teeth failing to ridgeline early, if they decay through too far at the ridgeline you may end up snapping off serious root in your gums.
If your teeth are already going when the shit goes down, be hella proactive in any way you can. Smash up clinics and dentists' for medical supplies before they're gone?

My F/O dream Bug-Out Bag includes a few grills/fronts, which aren't terribly hard to DiY with the right materials. Raider Painspike Grill \m/
>>
Sophie Blapperbanks - Fri, 27 Mar 2015 20:39:37 EST ID:7UKzYljI No.13819 Ignore Report Quick Reply
even if sugary foods are still around, you can always keep manual toothbrushes (and boil them every few months), and make toothpaste of sorts out of either minty alcohol (aka diy mouthwash), salt, baking soda, or a vinegar mouthwash cut with water.
>>
John Dravingwater - Wed, 10 Jun 2015 18:18:58 EST ID:A/tLXkYy No.13965 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>13596

Well... What you do is you chew on a twig until it's brushlike on the tip, then you brush with it. Haven't you people made ANYTHING in your lives before?
>>
Martin Blillerhood - Fri, 12 Jun 2015 03:41:57 EST ID:rj6pNRHr No.13966 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>13965
I agree with you there on making your own toothbrush. I also think that there might be a case for a paste made from baking soda and mint leaves via pestle and mortar for a tooth paste, and pestle and mortar are pretty easily jerry rigged. You could also DIY the extractions and the like. I have found that tea bags work for preventing dry pockets even in front teeth, so a sachet of some sort similar to tea bags would work and one could even find local flora to use as pain relievers to apply directly to the new hole as well as some herbal antibiotics and the like. I like botany and horticulture, as well as learning the different uses in the local foliage , even though I live in a major city. Some skills are worth having. Are you a Nick Offerman fan, by chance?
>>
David Nobblenon - Mon, 22 Jun 2015 10:32:02 EST ID:D1K3H0YT No.13974 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Brush teeth with bicarb.. now and in the future
>>
Rebecca Murdwell - Wed, 12 Aug 2015 08:24:24 EST ID:L4RQ5+/L No.14045 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I know in some countries they clean their teeth with tobacco. Maybe a similar thing could be done with other leaves.
>>
Hedda Bezzlefoot - Wed, 12 Aug 2015 13:50:39 EST ID:mzuNybn8 No.14046 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Stock up on cheap toothbrushes and sodium bicarbonate.
>>
Betsy Simmlemore - Thu, 13 Aug 2015 00:47:53 EST ID:9b5vkLbQ No.14047 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>13965
I like where your heads at.
>>
Basil Futtingbanks - Wed, 07 Oct 2015 09:57:06 EST ID:wEzfQURo No.14154 Ignore Report Quick Reply
honestly, regularly rinsing your mouth out with green tea and water goes very very far. i mean, that is dependent on access to water, but if you just stuck some sencha leaves, tea tree oil or dr bronners in a lil bottle and kept it just for mouth rinsing and gum swishing you would probably maintain some decent level of dental hygiene without needing a toothbrush. a toothbrush would be ideal, but yeah.
>>
Ernest Turveyman - Thu, 29 Oct 2015 09:49:58 EST ID:Djv7wB8Y No.14179 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Brush with a frayed twig and some charcoal from your fire, and chew pine needles to stop "maggot breath".
>>
Dinkerton - Fri, 30 Oct 2015 08:32:38 EST ID:eBH54eKb No.14181 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>13596
Let's say I never brush my teeth, or even try much. Then I eat and drink a lot of shit.

Well I brush maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe 2 - 3 times in 3 months... been to the dentist and shit, well either my genetics are godly, im lucky or its all been bullshit our whole lives because they say my teeth are perfectly healthy. Nothing is even seen as wrong with them. HAH.
>>
David Duckstone - Sat, 31 Oct 2015 04:27:07 EST ID:gbRwoUrB No.14186 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1446280027071.jpg -(367982B / 359.36KB, 1183x761) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>13596
if you're eating mostly meat and veggies you should be alright, i mean lions and wolves and shit keep their teeth for their lives and they never brush, iirc eating grains and foods heavy in carbs cause your teeth to rot out. no idea why. here's a picture for reference that shows the difference in dental health of what im guessing is a paleo diet vs a diet similar to the average american. no idea as to source though
>>
Nathaniel Chipperdone - Mon, 02 Nov 2015 19:38:21 EST ID:Wqum+yP8 No.14191 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1446511101784.jpg -(354076B / 345.78KB, 1110x4140) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>14154
>>14181
>>14186
>its all been bullshit our whole lives
I'm glad other people are finally waking up. No other country but America spends so much on dental care, and we're retarded in so many other ways. I think it's like shampoo or douching (vaginas). "Mad men" advertised to us stuff we didn't really need (and that was actually bad for us) so we would "look cleaner". The ADA even recently confessed that you're not supposed to brush after every meal like they used to claim because it ruins your enamel which doesn't grow back. And don't forget that the key active ingredient in all toothpaste is fluoride

If you're not living off soda and candy bars, the only thing you need is a dental pick and maybe some floss. Dental picks can easily be fashioned of anything metal. Floss can be fashioned out of sinew and certain plants and even clothes.
>>
John Caffingshit - Fri, 06 Nov 2015 08:07:41 EST ID:ViY39fHg No.14197 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>14195
Like once or twice a week. People compliment my smile all the time. I got them professionally whitened and I don't drink coffee or tea either.
>>
Frederick Hisslehall - Sat, 07 Nov 2015 20:56:56 EST ID:nNGxbZl9 No.14198 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>13597
I've done this with toothpicks if in a bind, it works alright for the front of the teeth, the back is harder to do.
>>
Martin Snoddock - Tue, 17 Nov 2015 12:37:17 EST ID:YX0B7PSt No.14209 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I'd just like to point out that in the United States, there is no medical definition or rule or standard for what qualifies as a cavity. If a dentist says they want to fill a cavity, unless you have the X-ray's you are basically just taking their word for it. And, X-rays can of course be manipulated by photoshop but I doubt that happens in any significant number but still, finding even a large lesion in a tooth by the layman on an X-ray is nearly impossible if they don't know what to look for.

Also, Enamel will come back with large amounts of time. Carbon Dioxide, you know, the stuff you breath out? That will actually cause molecules to bond back to the tooth restoring enamel. However it is insanely slow. With the amount of starch and citric acid in modern 1st world foods, there is no way it could be restored.

>>14191
Sodium flouride is critical in lowering the PH at which the enamel softens. Sodium Flouride is only theoretically harmful if ingested and at high doses. The .15% Yes that is 1/15 of a single percent that is typical in toothpaste won't do shit unless you are eating a tube a day. Even then, high doses of Sodium Flouride have shown to cause a calming and lethargic effect on subjects. I don't know if you put flouride in a spoiler tag to make it seem bad but it has a very good purpose for your teeth. Especially give the amount of citric acid in foods and drinks now.

To the guy talking about carbs heavy foods, carb-laden foods have tons of starches in them generally. Starches are bad for teeth basically. Sugar isn't as bad as people think. An airhead would be better than eating a few slices of bread in theory. Citric acid is somewhat of an antagonist to sugar. It helps keep you from wanting to vomit up that 50g of sugar you just drank in that 8 oz coke. Citric acid is a quick, cheap and easy way to flatten out super sweet foods and also make a bitter or more tart flavour. Fruits are actually insanely terrible for your teeth by the way. Just as bad as dark sodas. It may shock soccers moms but fruit juice is literally just as bad for your health as dark sodas. In fact, the caffeine in dark sodas vastly helps most parts of the body all the way from the mental abilities to the processing of fecal matter. Assuming you don't overdose on it of course. Caffeine is actually toxic or poisonous (I can't remember which I think Toxic though) in high enough quantities.

People really should look at food labels and portion sizes. You will discover a fuckload of stuff.
>>
Henry Bagglestedge - Thu, 19 Nov 2015 01:03:16 EST ID:0jZTtwUe No.14210 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>14191
>>14191

Foreigners (non-Americans) have hideous teeth even people from the EU. There is nothing wrong with a society full of people with decent teeth.
>>
Oliver Bammerway - Sat, 30 Apr 2016 15:16:52 EST ID:wU85klcQ No.14348 Ignore Report Quick Reply
If you eat lots of leafy greens and other fibrous foods, your teeth will largely clean themselves from the action of chewing. If you still have starchy gunk on them from things like bread, you can brush with a preparation of baking soda and water to make a paste and pretty much any brush-like object

From experience with a broken tooth, freshly crushed garlic can soothe a toochache caused by a break or bad cavity until you can get proper care. You'll have to replace it often, though. I've heard that Ginger can make for a longer-lasting temporary filling, but I've never tried it and wouldn't recommend it. It sounds like it hurts, and I don't know about the antimicrobial or pain-soothing properties of ginger. Actual modern fillings are basically a cured ceramic... stuff. I'm sure a dentist could do a filling in "field conditions".

In fact, even as a non-shtf thing, I advice baking soda toothpaste. It foams up real nice, does a good job cleaning, and leaves your breath fresher than what is essentially just an inert paste flavored with fake mint like you find in Colgate or whatever. It also still has the helpful fluoride in it. The baking soda is also a mild abrasive. It's too soft to damage your teeth or gums, but is just hard enough to help in displacing gunk from that PB&H sandwich you had for lunch.

Don't brush with salt, though. That'll cut up your gums something fierce, if not chemically burn them as well. It'll hurt, and open them up for infection. Use salt only if you have a gum abscess or other wound to disinfect it, or gargle salt water if you think you have some shit growing in the back of your mouth. It's not for brushing, though.
>>
Courier Six !M6R0eWkIpk - Mon, 28 Nov 2016 00:11:21 EST ID:DXEM+Io/ No.14462 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1480309881644.jpg -(27458B / 26.81KB, 375x512) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>13596
http://www.iflscience.com/editors-blog/pre-aztec-skull-with-stone-encrusted-teeth-discovered-ancient-city-mexico/
>>
Wesley Clundlebere - Thu, 22 Dec 2016 20:56:31 EST ID:T0vw9DdF No.14474 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>14348
And then there are cloves which are a godsend for a toothache.

I've heard celandine is useful but I'm too chicken to sample it, even if it grows all over the place here.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.