420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Looting lol by Jarvis Clozzlelock - Tue, 28 Feb 2017 02:43:55 EST ID:+Y0H01EZ No.57109 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1488267835825.jpg -(6667B / 6.51KB, 207x204) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 6667
So, I live in an area with a lot of historic sites for the United States--loads of maneuvering and raiding and fighting during the Civil War, some action in the Revolutionary War & 1812, plus the fact that Europeans have been in the area for 400 years. Unfortunately, a lot of important shit gets paved over all the time. Battlefields being turned into subdivisions and shopping malls. I got a nifty metal detector for Christmas so I think I'm gonna snoop around a wooded area at the junction of two local roads behind a gas station later this week. According to some local records during the Civil War a group of Confederates and Union troops skirmished at that road junction. There's another road nearby that something like 50 generals marched troops on during the War I'd like to search. Keeping in mind none of this land is parkland if you get caught relic hunting on protected battlefields they fine you, lock you in jail, & confiscate your metal detector & the vehicle you drove in on , have any of yall ever gone out and tried to gather relics?

I know it's trespassing but these are basically bum-infested thickets waiting to get turned into another strip mall and it feels wasteful having that history get lost, you know?
>>
Walter Geffingstock - Wed, 01 Mar 2017 15:46:48 EST ID:YEmgtMe4 No.57112 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1488401208679.jpg -(207114B / 202.26KB, 925x694) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>it feels wasteful having that history get lost, you know?
Digging up artifacts without going through the proper archaeological methodology destroys any historical value that the items had. Without very carefully recording things like exact coordinates, soil stratum, soil type, etc. you've stripped the artifact of its temporal and special context, which are needed to establish historical context. This is why dig sites are so specific with their grids and boxes. So while leaving it in the ground might let some historian dig it up later or maybe not, digging it up yourself will definitely waste the historical value of whatever you find, at least in an academic sense.

I mean, post-Revolutionary American artifacts aren't exactly shedding light on some dark and mysterious part of human history and I'm certainly not going to cry over the loss of what will likely be Yet Another Bullet in the American historical record, so do whatever. But just know that every time you find something, some archeologist out there is silently shedding one single tear.
>>
Oliver Wadgekut - Thu, 02 Mar 2017 01:28:02 EST ID:C0s92n5H No.57113 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57109

I've been looking into metal detectors for this reason.

The thought of treasure speaks to a place in my spirit that rejoices at the thought of discovering something new, or rediscovering something long lost.

Historical accuracy aside, relics are about the only thing I would ever be proud to decorate a room with. Aside from monetary value, I could see myself placing quite a sentimental value on artifacts I recovered from the field.

And a modest find would make a hell of a bar story. I mean, are you really going to regret searching for some long lost treasure or better yet, recovering something that others can only imagine seeing for themselves?

It's the call to adventure. A dream of fortune. And in the end, what's a few lost trinkets going to matter to anyone?
>>
Polly Fullernick - Mon, 06 Mar 2017 16:19:37 EST ID:ueQZvpy5 No.57114 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57112
This. Never forget your actions are not in a vacuum, and other people will follow your lead if you let them. One bullet is nothing. A thousand idiots with metal detectors trampling over historical sites is not nothing. Europe has huge problems with treasure hunters ruining old Roman ruins or neolithic dolmens trying to hunt for gold.
>>
Cyril Widgenut - Thu, 09 Mar 2017 09:11:39 EST ID:nLTvpZ14 No.57118 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57114
>searching for gold in neolithic dolmens

Just when you think people can't get more retarded... they do.
>>
Shitting Murdwater - Wed, 15 Mar 2017 20:19:30 EST ID:M+lZDv5i No.57121 Ignore Report Quick Reply
In cases where the area will be destroyed it sounds more okay to do, considering the above, with this clip about similar practice archaeologists called salvaging: http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/short-film-showcase/damnation-desert-goddess-remembers-arizonas-glen-canyon

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.