420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Historical Inconsistencies in Christianity by Jenny Tootgold - Sun, 07 May 2017 12:22:37 EST ID:zZvV2w/f No.57182 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1494174157092.jpg -(163253B / 159.43KB, 736x997) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 163253
I think I just became aware of a large one that most people probably look over or ignore.

According to the Pauline Epistles in the NT, Paul of Tarsus was tasked by the Jewish High Priesthood to go to Damascus to root out the Christian believers there and take them back to Judaea for judgment and execution. This account is already problematic enough considering Paul's supposed Pharisee background and his collaboration with the Sadduccees, and the fact that "Christians" had not even coalesced into a separate religion at the time Paul said his conversion occurred.

But the glaring problem is that: how is it that the Jewish High Priests had jurisdiction over Damascus? At the time, Judaea was a province of the Roman Empire, and of such low status that it was administered as a client of the Roman province of Syria (an Imperial-type Province).

Furthermore, the Jewish Priesthood had many of its prerogatives removed stripped: by 28 CE, the Romans had removed or limited the ability of the Jewish courts to impose capital punishment or to judge themselves by their own ancient laws. Considering the reputation of the Priesthood/Sanhedrin of being 'collaborators', it's likely they themselves

So how the fuck could Paul have been tasked by the Priesthood to go to Syrian Damascus to arrest Roman subjects there? It's the equivalent of a Louisiana policeman driving all the way to Austin in Texas and arresting people there and claiming jurisdiction. It makes no sense, and reeks of a fabricated story.
>>
Hugh Brusslehall - Wed, 24 May 2017 13:07:40 EST ID:npDZScJ1 No.57190 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57182
http://zzco.org/chris_bennett/christ.html
>>
Molly Chettingpune - Sat, 27 May 2017 23:58:17 EST ID:Yt0MTGo3 No.57191 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57182

Was it the Pauline epistles that said that? I thought it was just Acts
>>
Nicholas Turveyridge - Wed, 31 May 2017 11:37:41 EST ID:5kPy1v57 No.57193 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Like 90% of the OT. What? God stopped the sun from setting just for you and the rest of the world didn't notice at all? King David built a powerfull kingdom that nobody else ever talks about? Also Mose's biography seems to have been stolen from Sargon of Akkad.
>>
Sidney Blackstock - Wed, 28 Jun 2017 19:12:54 EST ID:+cP8QzkY No.57205 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Rome, despite being viewed as installing completely new and radical governments and changing the duties of the people themselves, making slaves et cetera, often used the government currently in power as a force underneath their army.

What reason would they have to care about ordering the church around if they paid taxes?

Also I read on /b/ some guy doubting Jesus existed and while the few fragments of his life that remain are proof enough for some people, I wanted to point out that the New Testament mentions that the Jewish churched paid the Romans to be silent about him. There are still some sources beyond the Bible, but what better source to learn about Jesus anyways?

The fact that the Bible is incredibly accurate is proof enough I think
>>
Lydia Dartbanks - Tue, 04 Jul 2017 11:26:09 EST ID:YYFtDXxk No.57209 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Jews were given more autonomy than most since the Romans respected their "authenticity" if you will--they were old, and well documented as very old, and Rome--being deeply conservative--revered old things.
>>
Phoebe Wavingnine - Mon, 10 Jul 2017 07:34:52 EST ID:n86/MK/a No.57215 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Religious people are very good at ignoring inconsistencies in their beliefs. That's all there is to it mate.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.