420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
What if...? by Beatrice Dickledale - Tue, 18 Jul 2017 01:26:19 EST ID:Redgi3D4 No.57230 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1500355579902.jpg -(216281B / 211.21KB, 965x772) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 216281
So what if all modern wars suddenly had to be fought with swords and other pre gunpowder weaponry?

What would the military tactics be like? Would small groups of armed men run around as they do in modern war with guns or would we have to revert back to lining up in a field?

At first i thought it's obvious that we would adopt modern strategies and tactics but if an enemy decided to go for the line up in a field approach and just started marching toward whatever their target was (a city for example) small pockets of men would seem kind of pointless.

If someone can be bothered to waste time giving me some speculations, i'd be very interested to read. Also would be pretty interested in any examples of ancient armies doing operations that closely resemble modern strategies.
>>
Eliza Clabberfield - Wed, 19 Jul 2017 06:11:45 EST ID:8J6TsQAI No.57231 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1500459105713.png -(695651B / 679.35KB, 718x724) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
That pic. I see it all the time on 420chan. On different boards, about different topics, by different posters, at different points of time. It's a classic. It doesn't mean anything, you can just post it with whatever and it's good. The image itself is quite funny. I mean just look at his face. Who is this guy? Why is there a pizza on his face? Why not?

As for your post OP. I don't really know. It's a very crazy what if scenario and there are so many variables. But I guess we can assume that the world order would largely stay intact, as the world's more powerful countries would be able to invest in higher grade weapons, armour and logistics. I have no idea how tactics would change. Surely if we suddenly had to use pre-gunpowder weaponry the world's generals would look to the past?

I've always wondered which would be preferable. An ancient/medieval soldier marching with an army, who would participate in a grand and extremely gorey battle maybe once or twice. Or, a soldier in a modern army, stationed in a ruined city and engaging in conventional warfare with frequent but much smaller in scale firefights and skirmishes. Both have their big cons and both are psychologically disturbing but I think being an ancient soldier might be better. I mean the battle itself would be horrifying, seeing your friends being butchered in hideous ways, the screams of thousands of men dying around you. Would suck. But so would the uncertainty and paranoia of modern day warfare. No chance to fight your killer. Just getting bombed by shells, killed by booby traps, watching your friend bleed to death after being shot by a sniper, coming across the splattered gored remains of civilian women and children.

Idk both suck really don't they.
>>
Lydia Puffingware - Wed, 19 Jul 2017 09:50:37 EST ID:Redgi3D4 No.57232 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1500472237114.jpg -(27341B / 26.70KB, 427x448) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>57231
Yeah I was a little drunk when making the thread, it is a bit of a pointless hypothetical.

Anyway I just don't know if small scale skirmishes would be viable, surely the enemy would just adopt the old "everyone get together and march at x". If you had cut your fighting force into small groups who were currently operating away from X you've just made it easier for the mass of people coming at you.

Although perhaps with modern communication methods it would be easier to organise everything.

Did they often have small skirmishes in the past to attack high value targets?
>>
Nell Dullerfoot - Tue, 25 Jul 2017 06:44:28 EST ID:rbK+gS1r No.57236 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57231
You're better off fighting in one massive battle with thousands of soldiers charging to their deaths maybe two times in your life, than fight in a modern war.

We humans are very capable dealing with horrors straight from hell for a day, but as soon as you're stuck in a "battle" for more than a week, you begin to degrade mentally.

We haven't evolved to deal with death stress for more than a few days, because in nature, if a predator corners you, that predator will either eat you within a few days, you will kill that predator within a few days, or the predator will abandon hunting you because you cause the predator to waste too much energy.

No predator will try to kill you for a whole week, hence why our brains haven't evolved to deal with death stress for long periods.
>>
David Wallywill - Sat, 29 Jul 2017 07:35:28 EST ID:h587YV0i No.57237 Ignore Report Quick Reply
crossbows would become a dominant force
>>
Cedric Soddlebodge - Tue, 08 Aug 2017 04:39:57 EST ID:lJYPBOas No.57241 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57230
I mean, assuming we couldn't ever relearn to use gunpowder again i could imagine new gun-like crossbow things would emerge. The Chinese had been using repeating crossbows since before Jesus so i can only imagine what kind of batshit contraptions we could think up with modern physics and engineering knowledge.

Actually now that i think about it, we don't have gunpowder right? what about petrol? cos, i'm no engineer but surely we could make gun-like machines using petrol as the propulsion agent. Or like, a variety of other materials.
I mean, even if we didn't have gun-like things for any reason but still had petrol, we sure as hell couldn't have lines anymore. I can only imagine the carnage of tanks rolling over lines of pikes.
I mean, i'm imagining battles like Fury Road, where there are thousands of screaming mad men riding whatever vehicle they could into one another. Fuck, imagine a destruction derby between Europe and Russia.
Actually, its probably get gummed up pretty quick. cars stuck in mud and gridlocked on roads.

I don't really know much about modern armour but i feel like crossbows might end up being pretty useless against shit like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQM6zLiSn1E
However, bullets are pretty blunt and often hollowpointed so they probably don't have the point necessary to pierce it. who knows.

I mean shit now that i think about it, think of all of davinci's machines, we could totally make those now. Think of the siege weapons we can make with modern steel and a better grounding in science. I wanna see a revolving ballista that fire bolts like a gattling gun. I don't really know what it'd be used for but it'd be fun to watch.

I have an essay to write now.
>>
Barnaby Cuckletedge - Tue, 08 Aug 2017 07:22:59 EST ID:rbK+gS1r No.57244 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57237
Not really. Crossbows are only really effective against mail armour. And medieval people quickly realised that metal plate armour is incredibly effective against crossbows.
>>
Barnaby Cuckletedge - Tue, 08 Aug 2017 07:23:37 EST ID:rbK+gS1r No.57245 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57244
Durrr, of course, they work fine on shit like gambesons and naked skin/normal clothes too.
>>
Cyril Gindleshit - Wed, 09 Aug 2017 11:50:28 EST ID:Redgi3D4 No.57246 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57241
>I have an essay to write now.
Do it, please cover tactic and strategy differences
>>
Cyril Hucklespear - Thu, 10 Aug 2017 10:36:41 EST ID:Redgi3D4 No.57247 Ignore Report Quick Reply
On the topic of crossbows, i'm not sure what my rules allow for but if kevlar was allowed to stay then i'm guessing we'd have to go back to plate anyway. Last time i checked most blades would be able to get through kevlar and I assume crossbow bolts would be able to penetrate too.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.