Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum 7.1 Headset Giveaway!

G933 Giveaway     Discussion Thread
Bonsai by Edwin Bupperwill - Wed, 06 Jan 2016 01:42:25 EST ID:hVgWQaTD No.37780 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1452062545237.jpg -(433898B / 423.73KB, 1497x1198) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 433898
How do i start with bonsais? Can i germinate an oak/chestnut and turn it in a bonsai?
>>
Cyril Wigglepodge - Mon, 18 Jan 2016 23:22:40 EST ID:HXq1m3UN No.37791 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37787
no theyre not, wtf. I used to have bonsai trees as a kid. the tree stays small because you restrict its growing space with a small pot. Any tree can be bonsai'd they are not specially bred
>>
Ernest Doblingstone - Wed, 20 Jan 2016 22:17:15 EST ID:HSuxc4in No.37795 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37787
>>37791
Arent you both right? I thought it referred to both the style of tree and the method of growing?
>>
Barnaby Gippermire - Sat, 23 Jan 2016 06:09:00 EST ID:NelCgn5W No.37802 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1453547340545.jpg -(167490B / 163.56KB, 526x695) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
guys...
>>
Sidney Mivingstet - Thu, 28 Jan 2016 23:38:02 EST ID:HXq1m3UN No.37808 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37798
yes but that says "cultivated" and you said "bred" breeding implies a process that requires generations of trees being grown and the smaller ones being pollinated and then the smallest of their offspring being chosen, so on and so forth.

you can go out into a forest, take a cutting off any tree or find a seedling and put it into a small pot and thats pretty much all you need to do to bonsai a tree. aside from trimming both the leaves and the roots and wiretraining the tree to the shape you desire.

some trees bonsai better than others.

>"nearly any tree can be bonsai'd"

that doesn't cross my assertion, it confirms it. Bonsai trees are not some special cultivar or a tree that is bred specifically to grow small. if you restrict the growing space of nearly any tree it will grow much slower.

the size of the root ball will always be proportionate to the size of the tree above ground. the ratio is different from species to species but if a tree can't grow it's roots out enough to sustain more leaf growth it's not going to grow more leaves/branches.

sure there are probably trees that have been selectively bred to perform better as bonsai but its completely unnecessary to do so in most cases. Every tree I have ever bonsai'd, from japanese black and white pines to canadian maples, silver birch trees etc are all seedlings I found growing naturally or bought at a nursery and put in a small pot
>>
Simon Sipperfield - Fri, 19 Feb 2016 22:33:10 EST ID:UCeahULn No.37836 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37787
Took a class in college about gardening and horticulture for an easy A.

Bonzai works with ANY plant. Its growing in a small pot/medium that makes it tiny. You can do a generic apple tree, it will be fucking small but grow normal sized fruits and look goofy as fuck.

That being said, Bonsai also traditionally comes with artificial weathering to the surface of the tree and manipulation of branch/grow direction to give it the "it looks like an old ass lion king tree but is fucking tiny"

I keep delaying doing bonsai, might just go find a cool plant to breed online
>>
Ian Gucklestone - Wed, 27 Apr 2016 01:23:48 EST ID:TgS2hIjr No.37916 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37802
Nice, I want to do this someday now
>>
Topper - Fri, 15 Jun 2018 16:52:56 EST ID:0NEcf+DH No.38563 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I thought you could bonsai any tree that doesn't grow straight up like a pine tree because my grandfather has a white oak bonsai or some shit.
>>
Samuel Pockbanks - Thu, 21 Jun 2018 01:09:36 EST ID:8/GoNdP5 No.38564 Ignore Report Quick Reply
As I've heard it said op, if you have 100 bucks to by a bonsai tree, instead of buying 1 one hundred dollar tree, buy 100 bucks worth of soil, cheap pots, shovels and start collecting! Find unwanted plants in friends and family yards. fuck, I dig them up along rural streets where they'll be removed for fire clearance anyway.

Read every fucking page on this website, you'll be well on your way.

https://www.bonsaiempire.com/

Ill try to post some of my work in progresses by the weekend

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.