Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Kirtaner & Spardot's 420chan Wedding

To all guests, live viewers, and our Internet family, THANK YOU.
VODs will be edited soon, we are all so tired.
Wedding Gifts
Practicing guitar for intermediate-advanced players by Barnaby Brookcocke - Wed, 25 Apr 2018 22:07:18 EST ID:05nzMUCw No.38506 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1524708438550.jpg -(184325B / 180.00KB, 1200x848) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 184325
This might belong on /m/ but I wondered if anyone who plays guitar has any tips on practicing efficiently. I have played for 10+ yrs but never really practiced much with scales and haven't learned much new info, just jamming and learning covers. I feel stagnant as hell now and need a consistent schedule/routine but don't know how to design one myself or get started doing so.

please dont lead me to some generic "free trial"/"learn guitar overnight!" kinda thing, they are the reason I'm here asking yall beautiful people. pic related
>>
Jenny Gonderchit - Mon, 30 Apr 2018 20:44:13 EST ID:NgJhNn1S No.38510 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I like this guy but I'm not a guitar player. Maybe it will help you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5UjAwr_Jik&list=PLWYuNvZPqqcEr8dwWs4eyevHaL1vFrCyi
>>
Fuck Hoddleforth - Tue, 01 May 2018 19:30:08 EST ID:dtH9uJp5 No.38512 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I can't really play the guitar but my uncle is amazingly skilled. He told me when he felt stagnant he would listen to all kinds of songs and pick out the chord progression and just learn to play rhythm along with the song. He said chord mastery was key to his progress. I am a dumb amateur so this may be child-level advice for you, but that's what I got.
>>
Albert Gummlenon - Thu, 03 May 2018 22:17:03 EST ID:wa1hA+Bd No.38515 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>38506

Try smoking weed while you play guitar. It's tried and true fun
>>
Thomas Worringwotch - Sun, 06 May 2018 01:21:45 EST ID:RG3cIGLD No.38516 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1525584105016.jpg -(54232B / 52.96KB, 303x420) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Guitar player with a degree, at your service.

You got any theory knowledge? Can you play a major scale in at least one position? Just so I can get a bearing on where you're at here.
>>
Isabella Hebberford - Mon, 07 May 2018 16:55:09 EST ID:05nzMUCw No.38517 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>38516
First off, I dig that photo of Zappa. I've gotten into his stuff recently.
I've been playing for over 10 years, but inconsistently and never with much knowledge of theory for guitar.
I've practiced scales on and off and can certainly play major and minor pentatonics in multiple positions (something i've been practicing more lately) and know a bit of ionian scales.
Really what I'm looking for is more of a method of practicing scales/theory that can lead to development of skills and application of my knowledge to writing, as opposed to just tediously running through shapes at varying speeds. I know I could go 3 up, 2 down, 3 up, etc. but beyond that simple kind of thing I feel like my practices are awkward and undisciplined.
Having a personal teacher to give me "assignments" and check my progress would likely solve this issue, but I cannot afford it.

And if it helps I used to play mostly classic rock/metal like zeppelin, sabbath, iron maiden, metallica, etc. but now I'm looking to learn more about the blues that engendered all of that and I recently formed a band that is trying to make funk/blues music.
>>38515
I often smoke weed before/while playing and its fun and sometimes helps me feel more creative but it certainly doesn't write lesson plans for me.
>>
Hannah Greenman - Wed, 09 May 2018 22:00:45 EST ID:IksG7Si7 No.38518 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>38517
maybe I'm misunderstanding you but learning shapes and scales are pretty critical to writing. you want to have complete facility on the instrument so you can play what you think and hear. ionian is a good start but you have to learn all the modes and alterations. most chords in songs are diatonic so the scales used will come from the function and key of the chord, like V7/IV or whatever. Learning the structure gives constraints for you to work within, it makes playing easier.
I've found transcribing to be one of the best ways to learn new ideas and get a different perspective. I tend to focus on improvisation though.
Learning classical repertoire is another great way to build facility. I think guitar players like Bach.
>>
Cyril Snodshit - Thu, 10 May 2018 13:58:11 EST ID:05nzMUCw No.38519 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1525975091731.jpg -(42552B / 41.55KB, 334x475) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>38518

Yes, scales and shapes are exactly what I want to learn more of and I'd like to get into the modes and alterations and build my understanding of the relationships between a chord/chord structure and keys/scales. My problem isn't knowing what I want to learn so much as how to practice it in a way that I can build and maintain those skills and apply that knowledge.

To be clear, I've begun by practicing minor and Major pentatonic scales and will be moving up to ionian and aeolian. I've mainly been just learning all the positions and practicing them at different BPM rates and once I'm comfortable in that scale I try to use it with a backing track or something to give me some creative freedom. However, this often feels very inorganic, slow, and doesn't really seem to be birthing much improvement, especially in practical application.

Essentially what I'm asking for is help building some sort of lesson plan so that I can sit down to practice and have clear instructions on WHAT to practice today and HOW to practice it so that I'll have clear goals to achieve and a way of achieving them. I'm asking for this because when I practice the way I have been it feels like this:
"learn Am pentatonic, all positions." check
"play Am pentatonic, 110 BPM, 1/8 notes, 4 reps." check

Then I try to think of different ways to do that to work on technique, dexterity, etc. and just don't know where to go with it. It all feels so contrived and like making my own practices isn't challenging me or giving me clear goals or like I'm spending more time figuring out what to do than actually practicing.

This website: https://practicegenerator.com seems to promise pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, only it seems very "give me your credit number and all your dreams will come true" to me and offers barely any substance of what the product actually is. Basically, to me it looks fake and like an empty promise. If anyone knows this program and assures me it's actually worth spending money on, maybe I'll try it.

A lesson book/planned practice book with scale diagrams and multiple ways of running through scales would be very helpful but there are thousands of different guitar books that all seem either highly specific and cost at least $10 a piece or are geared towards beginners only.

I would gladly drop a decent amount of money on a thicker book that would provide me with diagrams and practice lessons that are recyclable and progressive, but as yet I haven't seen one that doesn't feel clunky or oversimplified for beginners.
>>
Ernest Fuckingshit - Thu, 10 May 2018 21:22:04 EST ID:3BU/XPvE No.38520 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>38519
transcribe dude
>>
Martin Fishshit - Fri, 11 May 2018 14:46:58 EST ID:05nzMUCw No.38521 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>38520

You know, I suppose I've always underestimated transcribing in the past and have probably poisoned my learning quite a bit with tabs, chord sheets, and midi programs. I've always chalked it up to "having the proper tools will improve my playing/learning more quickly" but it's probably done more bad than good in a lot of ways. I will definitely take that advice and add more listening/transcribing to my practices. Thanks, Mr. Fuckingshit, et al.

I'd still very much appreciate any reference materials you guys might be able to point me in the direction of. It's nice to have a bit of guidance when practicing scales/learning chords.
>>
George Siddlehall - Fri, 11 May 2018 20:24:58 EST ID:t+NLkMdW No.38522 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>38521
np dude.
ok so here's most of the scales: you have the seven modes, you have symmetrical scales like chromatic, whole tone, sym dom and sym dim, those are easy, then there's a bunch of dominant scales too
arpeggios of the chords are good for practice and many melodies come from arpeggios/pentatonic.

You haven't commented on my jazz suggestions. Here is some Wes Montgomery to persuade you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU3OwXyL5R8

The best way I've found to transcribe is to slow the music down and learn it super slow. You can get slow-down software for this. Then you very slowly increase speed, so your brain and ear can keep up basically.

Shit, listening to this album makes me want to transcribe it.
>>
Charlotte Benderbet - Sun, 13 May 2018 21:32:40 EST ID:05nzMUCw No.38523 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>38522
I looked over the post and maybe I'm just too high to see it right now but I'm not seeing any jazz suggestions. I really enjoy listening to jazz but I'm not sure if it's a style of playing I'd like to dive into. Of course it would open a lot of doors to other styles but I'm not sure it would be totally "to the point" if that makes sense. Try to convince me otherwise, maybe I'll learn something.

I like the idea of slowing songs down to transcribe. I just started some transcribing practice today and learned the rhythm parts for "ohio" by crosby stills nash and young and "comfortably numb" and learned a good chunk of the solos from the latter. It's already proving a much more effective and lasting way of learning music as opposed to supplementing with tabs or chord sheets. Forcing myself to listen more closely and fixing problems as opposed to just reading the answers will be very good for me.
>>
Charlotte Benderbet - Sun, 13 May 2018 21:38:09 EST ID:05nzMUCw No.38524 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>38522
wow I've been listening to that Wes Montgomery album while replying to you and damn you're right, it makes me want to transcribe it. It seems a bit out of my league at the moment though, which makes me want to practice transcribing other stuff as stepping blocks. Got any suggestions that are a bit simpler? maybe some pentatonic blues or something a bit more rigid, musically?
>>
Cornelius Lightham - Mon, 14 May 2018 23:12:12 EST ID:ZTiFqaSS No.38528 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>38523
the very first reply.

yeah transcribing is great, it gives you a voice too.

You could learn Dexter Gordon I guess, his stuff isn't all hard. I'm not really a guitar or blues dude so idk
>>
Jenny Bunkinhidging - Mon, 28 May 2018 23:39:56 EST ID:SZNZT38v No.38544 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>38519

Think numerically in regards to your scale practice, can open up some doors. Create sequences, melodic patterns.

e.g you have C Major, C D E F G A B, or 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.

The most common patterns are things like 123, 234, 345, or 132, 243. Basically you want to pick a number of notes, it could be a 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 note pattern, but lets say you pick 4 numbers, 2 5 4 1, D G F C, next would be 3 6 5 2, E A G D and so on, extrapolating to create the rest of the sequence. If you wanted to practice arpeggios and scale harmonization you need only write every second number, 1357 etc.

A lot of these are shit obviously, but you'll find movements you like with experimentation, throw away the shit ones and make note of the ones you like the sound of, then build a collection. Eventually you'll have a few that you can access in fragments without thinking too much about it.

You can also come up with "synthetic" patterns based on literal shapes rather than numeric reference, you could call symmetrical scales like Whole tone and diminished a synthetic pattern I guess.

I'm Australian so our time zones probably won't work too well, but if you want I'm happy to provide a burner email and we can organize a skype lesson. Normally I'd charge, but I'd be happy to just answer whatever's on your mind for an hour and chat shop.
>>
Jenny Bunkinhidging - Mon, 28 May 2018 23:42:07 EST ID:SZNZT38v No.38545 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>38544

And of course, y'know, having a shmoke as well. Oh, I'm the zappa guy from up top btw.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.