Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Kirtaner & Spardot's 420chan Wedding

To all guests, live viewers, and our Internet family, THANK YOU.
VODs will be edited soon, we are all so tired.
Wedding Gifts
Why Latin is useful by Jack Sonnertedge - Sun, 21 Dec 2014 16:15:44 EST ID:ZtJh40Yw No.11921 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1419196544367.jpg -(130503B / 127.44KB, 333x500) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 130503
  1. Helps with understanding of Romance languages across the board.

2. Allows you to read historical documents from centuries ago. Not all of them have been translated into English or any contemporary language--there is a wealth of information which exists only in Latin.

3. Useful for understanding legal, philosophical, and scientific terminology.

4. It's fun.
>>
John Sendlestone - Thu, 25 Dec 2014 22:29:01 EST ID:lyuJJqjL No.11927 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1419564541456.jpg -(13864B / 13.54KB, 307x475) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>11921
One thing that irks me a bit is the fact that very few learners of Classical Latin choose to dig deep into its pronunciation. It's so unusual and interesting. It's really a shame.

If you're interested in delving into Classical Latin's fascinating pronunciation, but don't know where to start, just go on the Wikipedia page of Latin's spelling and pronunciation. Then, read Sidney Allen's ''Vox Latina". There are many other resources out there, but I think you can glean for them yourself. Bonam fortunam!
>>
Phyllis Biffingnin - Fri, 26 Dec 2014 05:46:38 EST ID:yDGVJW08 No.11928 Ignore Report Quick Reply
400 years ago latin was useful. Unfortunately, the most common languages are French, Spanish, and English. Not going to lie, I wish we still spoke Latin, but it's not going to happen.
>>
cursive !M6R0eWkIpk - Mon, 29 Dec 2014 12:38:32 EST ID:1TasVmkO No.11932 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1419874712408.png -(265174B / 258.96KB, 498x355) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>11928
>400 years ago latin was useful.
latin was used at universities until much later than that. mandatory until at least the 1900s
and the plague of catholicism required it until like the 60's. That isn't useful , which isn't useful per se, but mandatory
>the most common languages are French, Spanish, and English.
mandarin,
then
english,
then
spanish
>>
Basil Murdman - Mon, 29 Dec 2014 21:43:53 EST ID:xIkV35YD No.11933 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>Helps with understanding of Romance languages across the board.
This one gets me, it's so dumb.
I'd never look down on someone learning a new language, but if you're interested in SPIFR, then just DO THAT. They are already very close and as a native Spanish speaker I can easily read and understand spoken Portuguese and Italian, Romanian and French are harder but I can get the basic picture. Learning Latin won't magically allow you to understand ANY of them and there's so much archaic grammar (declensions etc) that aren't used in ANY modern SPIFR that it's useless.
>>
Nigger Furringlatch - Fri, 02 Jan 2015 02:24:37 EST ID:sPwTzU+z No.11942 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Could you cite this wealth of information which has not been translated into a contemporary language?
>>
Eliza Mammerfock - Sat, 03 Jan 2015 15:26:18 EST ID:hPhCch4K No.11946 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>11927

I thought Latin's pronunciation has long been a subject of debate with no clear answer as to how the ancient Romans truly spoke.
>>
Phoebe Dummerlat - Mon, 05 Jan 2015 15:57:05 EST ID:lHdJYkhU No.11949 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>11942

Tons of literature from the Middle Ages, and lots of historical documents from that time.

I can't name them off the top of my head but they're out there. I spent maybe 30 hours writing an essay for my literature class last semester and a bunch of the citations I needed, I had to get from sources which were entirely in Latin, and I had to translate the meanings as best I could.
>>
Fucking Sammerstock - Wed, 07 Jan 2015 00:22:14 EST ID:JUrf6k0U No.11951 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>11946

Not really, we can glean a lot of information from how the speakers of Latin's progeny have changed sounds in order to reconstruct what it is most likely to have been, along with accounts from classical times about their own linguistic perception of the languages pronunciation. Going beyond just phonemes we can understand the lengths of vowels in words and inflections due to metrical poetry. >>11927 goes into detail parsing out the rational and evidence for various pronunciations and is actually a decent read.
>>
Whitey Mibberham - Sun, 18 Jan 2015 10:27:57 EST ID:7eexnvjt No.11958 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I've studied Latin for three years. I love the language, but I think it's ridiculous how many people wish to use it for communicative purposes. I've had a few conversations in Latin, but I viewed it as a gimmick. The real reason to study it, first of all, is to stimulate an intellectual curiosity. Secondary reasons would include the wealth of literature in the language, including some of the most dramatic and entertaining poetry in the world, though many of it is just dick jokes. Religious people might enjoy reading the Bible in Latin, as well.
>>
Jack Brookson - Mon, 19 Jan 2015 16:11:23 EST ID:FSpFf/PB No.11963 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>11958

>I think it's ridiculous how many people wish to use it for communicative purposes

That sounds like a lot of fun, and I'm sure people who view it that way also find it fun. Different strokes and all that.
>>
Graham Hangershit - Tue, 20 Jan 2015 12:20:58 EST ID:7eexnvjt No.11969 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>11963
It does sound like fun, but it's too impractical. It's every Latin student's wish to be fluent in the language and to maintain Ciceronian dialogues within it, but it's difficult in that the language is not modern. This leads to gaps in vocabulary, where we cannot discuss things such as computers and television shows unless we agree on the words to be used beforehand.

Besides, one thing that must be mentioned: the Latin that is studied in schools is hardly reflective of the Latin spoken by the average Roman. The "Classical" variety that we all know was a highly polished form that only the educated Romans spoke. Your average Roman would have spoken Vulgar Latin, which is of a drastically different character, being much simpler. A good friend once made the analogy that studying Latin by reading Caesar, Catullus, and Ovid is like studying English by reading Shakespeare.
>>
Cyril Pinderlotch - Fri, 16 Mar 2018 13:25:53 EST ID:o6BAGsFK No.12907 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Is that chick a naga?

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.