420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Mandarin self-learning by Albert Turveystock - Tue, 02 Aug 2016 07:08:37 EST ID:VsaRwmTc No.12618 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1470136117175.png -(474728B / 463.60KB, 635x624) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 474728
I need some kind of tone-learning program for Mandarin that I could turn on and practice daily. No money here, so it has to be free or piratable. ;_;

In exchange I recommend Mitchel Thomas method for basic Chinese. Way better learning curve, than most other stuff.
>>
Jenny Blablingdale - Thu, 04 Aug 2016 17:31:03 EST ID:daTvN+Hg No.12619 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I can't help, but did you really like the Mandarin Michel Thomas course? I've heard nothing but bad things about the posthumous stuff and the original courses rely so heavily on cognates that I have a hard time seeing it working out for Asian languages.
>>
Matilda Murdham - Tue, 09 Aug 2016 14:39:11 EST ID:VsaRwmTc No.12623 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12619

tbh I can only compare it to rosetta and pimsleur

it has 10000% better curve, than p. and actually mentions tones. I'm not complaining.
>>
Emma Lightdock - Wed, 10 Aug 2016 06:23:09 EST ID:7T6bny35 No.12624 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I honestly dont know of any program that focuses exclusively on tones. I've been studying mandarin for a few years now and it took me until recently to finally get the tones right. What it came down to in the end was lots of practice and listening exposure. Rosetta stone is not a bad one for that as you can do it at your own pace and repeat until you get it right. The learning curve might seem hard at first as there is no English involved but it really does start out pretty basic and once you get a bit more exposure it will actually start to seem overly simplistic. When you learn a new word, repeat until you get the sound correct, after a while you will start to associate certain sounds with the different tones and from there it comes naturally. Dont give up just because you dont feel like you are making any progress, you are probably getting a lot more out of it than you think.
>>
Basil Brookshit - Tue, 16 Aug 2016 05:23:38 EST ID:DZYdMmPM No.12634 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12618
Hm, I have trouble advising on this because I had the luxury of living in a massive Chinese city (Tianjin) which had little in the way of English, so getting by demanded I learn.

I had a book and a good friend to work on it with me. To learn a language, you need to be around it and diving into it. Once I understood the tones, I learned some characters. When I could understand characters, I could learn some basic syntax/grammar rules (the simplest part of Mandarin, no doubt). After I got that, I learned some simple sentence structures. Here's where it got interesting.

I began to deconstruct and mess with sents. I would replace verbs, nouns and adjectives to make my own. Travel comes down to two basic elements for you to communicate: "I want this, I don't want this". After a while, I got so used to the elemental nature of chinese sentence structures that I could start veeeery slowly working through authentic materials (native speaker materials). I found some mandarin comic books for dragon ball, and it really took off from there.

说真话我的中文实在退步了很多,但一个年学习我还觉得挺不错。虽然我根本不是继续学中文,但是我还很快再记得。随时会跟母语人有“还可以”的谈话,哈哈。

Do you have QQ messenger? Find some chinese people who want to learn English.
Pimsleur is alright. Maybe pirate some rosetta stone, it's not SHIT but anything that doesn't involve direct interaction with another person is missing the point of a language entirely.
>>
Angus Gumbledotch - Wed, 17 Aug 2016 14:39:17 EST ID:VsaRwmTc No.12636 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Okay, so no programs for tones... How about writing? I learned English that way - by reading. There's a firefox plugin that allows to view meaning and sound of every Chinese character, so this shouldn't be that much different after learning the very basics of the language? If so, are there good logogram programs?

I'm big on interactive stuff, since it's easier to engage in small doses on a daily basis and keep a steady pace, than with something like a handbook, which dishes out chapter-sized bites.

Also, where do I get a big list of tone drills? I only see small crappy sample sizes.

PS It's easier to go from traditional to simplified, than vice versa, right? I don't plan on learning to write, so trad would seem more optimal (I also have a history buff streak and learning older scripts eventually is a possibility).
>>
Polly Fuddleshaw - Mon, 17 Oct 2016 22:17:19 EST ID:W3n1K4f3 No.12684 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12618
ChineseSkill is a pretty nice app because it has a huge vocabulary, teaches tones, strokes, sentence structure, accurate audio, it is free, and lets you skip sections if you're already learning by taking quizzes.

If you have a teacher and want to get better at pronunciation start with the pinyin alphabet. Then basic introductions, numbers, colors, directions.

A pretty childish drinking game they like to play is to pick a subject then go around a circle and name an object in that category (eg name a fruit), if you repeat an object or you're wrong you drink.

If you're into pop culture they have a ton of talk shows and tv celebrities, musicians, reality TV is somewhat sane.
>>
Phineas Blackleman - Sat, 22 Oct 2016 20:32:46 EST ID:IAKVe98s No.12685 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Hey OP you should check out memrise.com, it's completely free, and you can get the app free too. Just sign up for mandaring and it will drill words based on the level you are at. It works pretty well, it will sense what words you are having trouble with and then will drill them more. They have HSK 1 to 6, I highly recommend it.

加油啊!
>>
Phineas Blackleman - Sat, 22 Oct 2016 21:08:41 EST ID:IAKVe98s No.12686 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12634
Any chance you were there for that huge explosion?

I saw it in the distance from my flat and for real I thought that war had broke out.

Scary shit anon
>>
Anita Flowershitter - Mon, 16 Jan 2017 08:02:08 EST ID:ux7B0QWz No.12735 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12618
just bundle together an anki deck and download a mass of audio files for a bunch of words and you're set, god lazy people.
>>
Fuck Chozzlelod - Thu, 10 Aug 2017 18:38:42 EST ID:+F2vCjEb No.12852 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Look up Glossika. They have courses in Mandarin, Cantonese, Hakka, Wenzhounese and aiwanese Hokkien.

It's a lot of audio, reading and writing. Even if you're lazy you can absorb a lot of audio files

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.