420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Change my accent [FR To English] by Alice Bandleshit - Sun, 14 Aug 2016 20:38:53 EST ID:c4t3ew2h No.12630 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1471221533178.png -(161458B / 157.67KB, 480x366) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 161458
Hey guys,

Any serious, good audiobooks about learning new accents and especially overcoming your native one?

I'm French and although I try as much as I can to sound 'American' (i.e. basically some blend of what I heard and learnt), there's always that small French accent residue coming back that I really want to get rid of.

Currently it's really not bad at all, or so people tell me. But my true desire is to make it -almost- impossible to tell by -most- people.

I feel I'm jumping ahead here but I'd also love to be versatile and have more than that 'Standard American' accent I was talking about. I'd love to do a Boston accent, some New-Yorkers one, some ebonics, etc.

PS. Just in case, the reason I ask you this is because I'd love to do voice over work in America (I realize the chances are slim, but oh well). But it's hard to believe in when you transpire even a faint of the French accent.

One last random question: Is it me or do impoverished black people from the West Coast sound almost the same as those from the East Coast? Maybe I don't have the ear for that, but I always saw a big resemblance when I would listen to them talk.

Anyway I'm talking way too much now. I just really want to perfect my accent. Really, really badly.

Thanks a lot in advance and thanks for reading me thus far as well!
>>
Jenny Hullerkodging - Sun, 14 Aug 2016 23:36:21 EST ID:nWNKq7jv No.12631 Ignore Report Quick Reply
i was totally down to provide you with assistance until you stated you desired to ever speak in a bostonian accent

eat shit and die, good sir
>>
Matilda Tootshaw - Mon, 15 Aug 2016 12:42:34 EST ID:BA7/GCwu No.12632 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>until you stated you desired to ever speak in a bostonian accent
Hey, it's just for fun and I was naming examples.

Sounds like you know more of what a Boston accent is than I do anyway, no sarcasm intended. I'm not even sure I'd really like it in the end.

Now, some Brooklyn type of accent, I'm pretty damn sure about that one.
>>
Martha Brookstock - Mon, 15 Aug 2016 21:13:19 EST ID:nWNKq7jv No.12633 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12632

your faggotry continues to swell. your chances of assistance continue to dwindle.
>>
Emma Borringsick - Wed, 17 Aug 2016 02:36:59 EST ID:7T6bny35 No.12635 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12632

This guy >>12633 >>12631 is kind of being a dick about it, but I have to agree with him.

As an American (from the west coast) Bostonian and Brooklyn accents are objectively the two most terrible American accents possible. Seriously, no one wants to hear that shit even from a native speaker. As a foreigner you will save yourself a lot of embarrassment by NOT learning these. It may sound cool because you hear it on TV or films, but actually trying to have a conversation with someone who has either of those accents is extremely obnoxious. Please rethink this. Personally I actually find French-American accents charming, and most people would agree that any kind of foreign accent is better than a forced local dialect.
>>
Hedda Cibblewater - Fri, 19 Aug 2016 15:01:32 EST ID:1gZONHRh No.12639 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12633
>your chances of assistance continue to dwindle.
Yeah, I was still counting on yours. I usually don't encourage the use of drugs but have you ever tried Xanax? Chill some dude, Jesus.

>>12635
Alright, I can understand that some accents may be irritating to yourself and others. Fair enough. What accents would you say you enjoy?

I've never intended to have conversations IRL with some half-assed imitated accent though. That's cringe-worthy to me. I like my English to sound as neutral as can be in my social interactions.

But I also enjoy voice over and all that stuff, and would like to explore the various accents of the English language. Just like one would enjoy working on impressions. Simple as that.

I'd be grateful if you guys have any tips. Or, if you feel like being a douche you can shitpost like that first dude and I'll let this thread sink. It's fine.
>>
Beatrice Drebberbury - Sat, 20 Aug 2016 00:54:56 EST ID:7T6bny35 No.12640 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12639
I've never intended to have conversations IRL with some half-assed imitated accent though. That's cringe-worthy to me. I like my English to sound as neutral as can be in my social interactions.

As long as you understand this, you should feel free to explore and play around with whatever accents you like. No one is going to be annoyed at you for making an impression of a Brooklyn accent. Actually I think it would be pretty fucking hilarious.

I'm sorry I dont really have much advice for learning various accents, but I wish you luck. Most Americans I've known including myself suck at mimicking a different accent from their own. I would imagine it all comes down to practice and exposure, much like other aspects of language learning.
>>
Nell Fuckingbury - Sun, 21 Aug 2016 10:07:09 EST ID:JLjfl5dy No.12643 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12635
Oh please, minnesota has easily the worst accent in the US.
>>
CrazyFolksTribe !owU3wSU682 - Mon, 05 Sep 2016 16:14:39 EST ID:4mLsiRJ7 No.12658 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12643
Wisconsin and Chicago are worse.
>>
Fanny Cummleforth - Sat, 10 Sep 2016 14:18:09 EST ID:nfM/QbD0 No.12659 Ignore Report Quick Reply
OP, you should look into the dialects spoken around New Orleans, Louisiana. They would likely fit with your native french tongue and the whole creole/cajun environment is one that is often used in scenes requiring voice over.
>>
Cedric Lightlock - Sat, 18 Feb 2017 02:05:31 EST ID:mlSne5jo No.12744 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12643
This and CFT's list of accents are considered the friendliest of all the state's.
I'd love if every foreigner learned this accent. 'be a lot less asshole foreigners then.

Then again, I'm definitely biased as are we all.
Now the northeastern accent of influential white-folk on the other hand...
>>
David Gocklefuck - Fri, 03 Mar 2017 21:41:29 EST ID:ZJoLioYR No.12792 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I heard french people's mouths get permanently reshaped by all those nasal vowels. It may be impossible bub
>>
Rebecca Billingway - Mon, 17 Apr 2017 13:47:51 EST ID:Rr05TByP No.12805 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12630
Intonation is what will tell people if you are French or not, that is easier to fix than perfecting how you pronounce all the words as well as the spaces between them (e.g. He's a cat = he ZA cat. .. I can't think of proper examples now but there are places where Zs just appear out of no where)

Anyway this will be useful to you to practice individual words and their sounds:
manythings.org/pp/

and this will be useful for you to look up the pronunciation of words (recordings by natives):
forvo.com

Make sure you know the IPA, and make sure you get an American version not a British one.
Then practice every day, talk to yourself a lot, be a perfectionist about making each word sound as similar as your ear will let it sound.

Learning as an adult and not a child, you'll always have a bit of an accent, but you can make it almost inaudible with loads of work.
>>
Edward Soshstock - Fri, 21 Apr 2017 08:29:36 EST ID:cddIAxeE No.12808 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1492777776185.jpg -(108861B / 106.31KB, 476x960) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Here's a book : A Practical Introduction to Phonetics by JC Catford

https://www.amazon.com/Practical-Introduction-Phonetics-Textbooks-Linguistics/dp/0199246351

It teaches you to pronounce a great range of vowels and consonants so you can get very conscious of your accent and change it deliberately.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.