Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan's Canada Cannabis Legalization Logitech Giveaway

We're giving away Logitech hardware to lucky 420chan users to celebrate recreational legalization on October 17!
Round 1 Giveaway Entry     Discussion Thread
Finnish by Cornelius Ginkinsudge - Sat, 20 Aug 2016 22:47:59 EST ID:4HnKYQAn No.12641 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1471747679333.png -(263074B / 256.91KB, 500x334) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 263074
I cannot, for the life of me, find an answer for a simple question on any of the sites on which I study.
I generally know when to use the nominative, accusative and partitive, except for the verb "to be." I at one point thought it would just be the nominative, ex. "Se on taulukko. It is a table" from skimming walls of finnish text, but I later read that the accusative may sometimes look like the nominative. I have no idea which case ending I should use with "olla" as the verb, and it seems so fundamental to everyday speech that I want to get it straight in my mind.
>inb4 learn a useful language
Finnish is wierd and fascinating, albeit useless.
>>
Cedric Blytheshaw - Sun, 21 Aug 2016 02:58:45 EST ID:KdLsUui1 No.12642 Ignore Report Quick Reply
https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akkusatiivi

Do you not have a good grammar book?
>>
Hedda Wullerwot - Sun, 21 Aug 2016 23:05:39 EST ID:fcE8u0u3 No.12646 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12642
At one point on that, it talked about the "ambiguity" of the accusative which is what I'm trying to understand.
AP on homo vai AP on homon?
I know that traditionally, "It is I" is preferable to "It is me" but I don't know if this is the same in finnish.
As for books, I am lacking. I've searched around, but there are never any reviews for them because few people are interested in finnish. If you know of any that exxplain grammar well, it would be appreciated.
>>
Reuben Cirringshaw - Sun, 21 Aug 2016 23:05:44 EST ID:iUxAqiYX No.12647 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12642
At one point on that, it talked about the "ambiguity" of the accusative which is what I'm trying to understand.
AP on homo vai AP on homon?
I know that traditionally, "It is I" is preferable to "It is me" but I don't know if this is the same in finnish.
As for books, I am lacking. I've searched around, but there are never any reviews for them because few people are interested in finnish. If you know of any that exxplain grammar well, it would be appreciated.
>>
Shit Honeywater - Sun, 16 Oct 2016 03:30:52 EST ID:vyWRFM4Q No.12680 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1476603052143.jpg -(47239B / 46.13KB, 550x550) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>Se on pöytä
>It is a table

Both "se" and "pöydä" are in the nominative case here.
I only know some simple Finnish and Karelian but I figure olla always has nominative case. Same as with many other languages
(Fun fact. Accusative is not used here because accusative is used for objects. This is not an object because objects can be promoted to subjects through passivisation.
>My uncle loves a plumber > A plumber is loved by my uncle
This transformation goes OK because "a plumber" is the object, thus accusative
>My uncle is a plumber > A plumber is been by my uncle
This transformation is no good because "a plumber" here is not really an object, thus not accusative)
Of course you can also use various locative cases depending on what you want to say.
>Se on pöydällä
>It is on (the) table

And as you asked for literature:
I can recommend "Finnish: An Essential Grammar" by Karllson. If you find a torrent called GRAMMAR PILE 3.0 it's in there, and I'm seeding it.
>>
Graham Drizzlenag - Mon, 17 Oct 2016 20:34:30 EST ID:kC4WcnXW No.12681 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12680
>that torrent

holy shit I fucking came
>>
Eliza Sunningridge - Mon, 17 Oct 2016 20:36:31 EST ID:NVLrxJ4E No.12682 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12680
I just downloaded the book. It's very comprehensive. Thanks bruh.
>>
Clara Drubberlat - Tue, 22 Nov 2016 15:39:35 EST ID:PZICZQ5a No.12717 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12682
Also I think Iso suomen kieloppi is good. It's descriptive grammar for those who can read Finnish
>>
Oliver Brondlestone - Thu, 26 Apr 2018 11:17:04 EST ID:VU9VXUdS No.12917 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12641
Okay, I've been living in Finland for five months, so I know a decent bit of finnish.

With olla you use nominative when you refer to a quality of something definite (ruoka on valmis 'THE food is ready' vs ruokaa on valmista '[some] food is ready').

Also, partitive when adscribing abstract qualities (mun isäni on insinööri 'my father is an engineer' vs mun isäni on surullista 'my father is sad').

You never use genitive-like accusative as complement of verb olla.
>>
Alice Gezzlefuck - Sun, 20 May 2018 04:32:29 EST ID:mN1MzBjb No.12924 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12917

*mun isäni on surullinen
"Surullista" is something you usually use when you comment on something ie. This is sad \ tämä on surullista
Source: am native speaker but I have forgotten most of the fancy words like accusative allitive etc.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.