420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Going to western Poland - what languages are acceptable? by Michael Mickelburgh - Thu, 08 Dec 2016 19:57:10 EST ID:/Su9xYY4 No.12727 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1481245030106.jpg -(6291B / 6.14KB, 1280x800) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 6291
Ok, so I'm off to Poland from the UK in a few weeks, for the first time ever - Wroclaw to be exact - and at first I was planning to use it as a gateway to Berlin, my ultimate destination for NYE, due to cheap flights and coach fares, but I had a quick browse of some pics and a read of the wiki page and it seems like quite a nice place in itself.

So I've decided to hang out there for a day or two first, and possibly even spend NYE there instead, mainly because Berlin, while fun, will be super expensive and likely full of hipstery tourists... So I've started having a look at Polish.

The language is brand new to me, but I have a good grasp of German, and a higher than average level of English; I also know a little French and Spanish. I am planning to learn Polish anyway, as I'm planning to explore Poland more in the coming year, but didn't expect to be staying there this soon - I did have an idea that I could maybe get by with German in the west, maybe not so much further east, but a friend who's just returned from travelling around the Krakow area (south central) advised me not to bother with German at all, and just use English and Polish...

So now I'm a little confused, and there's no way I can learn enough Polish between now and NYE to be confident enough to try using it when I go then.

Any thoughts / advice?
>>
Terrence Hoffmann - Sat, 17 Dec 2016 16:49:37 EST ID:IUvvhsfo No.12728 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12727

Fuck this board is slow...
>>
Oliver Mirrytit - Thu, 12 Jan 2017 09:42:02 EST ID:VsaRwmTc No.12734 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Poland is something like 99% ethnic Polish, there are almost no Germans. Poles speak Polish. You're confused because you're completely uninformed and think with political map colors instead of facts. Soviets booted out Germans from what is now Western Poland. Earlier Germans antagonized Poles with their expansionism and kulturkampf. There is no reason at all for German to be used in Western Poland.
>>
Augustus Fopperchudge - Mon, 30 Jan 2017 13:51:57 EST ID:A5EX172g No.12737 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12734
Well, when I was in Poland there was the odd person in the west who did indeed spoke German, much better than English. Though from my experience there are very few people who speak either German or English and you'll just have to get by.

You'll be fine OP. Poles are fun, enthusiastic people who will make the effort to communicate with you despite the barrier.
>>
Augustus Fopperchudge - Mon, 30 Jan 2017 13:54:25 EST ID:A5EX172g No.12738 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12737
lol... didn't realise your OP was 2 months ago. Man this board has gotten reeeeeeeally slow.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.