420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Chinese - Seeking Material by Shit Bardfoot - Thu, 22 Jun 2017 04:46:07 EST ID:Gib9dqf+ No.12824 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1498121167780.gif -(6308B / 6.16KB, 268x270) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 6308
Hey guys,

I would truly love to learn Chinese and think a good starting point for me would be to learn tones and the Pinyin alphabet.

I've stumbled upon material that did look professional, yet upon closer inspection some mistakes were present (pointed out by native speakers).

So that's basically why I'm asking you guys for sources you known to be reliable, where the pronunciation is spot on and where the teaching is hopefully dynamic and not too boring.

I will have the opportunity to ask for help from a native speaker now and again but she won't be there 24/7 for me. She will mostly review what I learned on my own and correct me afterwards.

Any other advice about learning Chinese is welcome as well. I am really eager to begin, I'm just not sure where to look.

Thanks a lot in advance!
>>
Charles Crocklesare - Thu, 22 Jun 2017 11:28:56 EST ID:VRi0TFxn No.12825 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I don't know Chinese, but I wouldn't worry too much about errors in source material unless it's a systemic problem, like with the rules. Also, there's significant variation among Chinese speakers and what one native speaker thinks is proper Mandarin another might think is incorrect.
>>
Jenny Fandleket - Fri, 30 Jun 2017 01:21:09 EST ID:uVEePzIo No.12832 Ignore Report Quick Reply
well first off chinese isnt a language so im guessing you mean mandarin (putonghua). mandarin has 4 tones (or 5 if you include "neutral") or "pitches" that you say words in. this is more important to master than grammar. if you can't say the word with the correct tone people will have no clue what you said.
>>
Clara Pangerfoot - Sat, 30 Sep 2017 06:22:20 EST ID:win5YRNx No.12874 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12832
There is one Asian language and everything is a dialect
>>
Priscilla Fuckingford - Fri, 20 Oct 2017 13:43:29 EST ID:7cLnbbQR No.12877 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12832
This, my first trip to China was eye opening when I attempted to use my Mandarin.

There is very little room for error on tone, and people will not use context to deduce your intended meaning.

IME this is spot on, grammar is significantly less important than understanding the tones, and common root words which are used to build upon others. The building isn't necessarily intuitive, ie the two pictograms used for caution (xiaoxin) " 小心 " is literally" little" and "heart"

Also when I started learning several years ago, I focused too much on pinyin and disregarded the pictograms to an extent. Depending on your intent for the language, I can say that upon arriving in China I was pulling out my written texts to brush up as pinyin was almost non-existent and very rarely understood by locals.
As far as sources go, I'm not sure I could recommend anything free that I can verify is precise as I tend to use them to just brush up on my mandarin when it is getting weak. You are fortunate to have a native speaker to help you and make corrections, and (this may not be true) I was told by an individual who had lived there for 8 years, married local etc, that no matter your grasp on the language you'll always be laowai, you can't lose face by improperly speaking the language as you had no face to begin.
and yeah the variation between native speakers is quite large.
>>
Alice Drammlelotch - Mon, 23 Oct 2017 10:46:57 EST ID:N4Y60WAx No.12878 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Just moved to china a month or so ago.

>>12877
Has it spot on from what I can tell. I came here very last minute and didn't have time to learn the basics. But from speaking to others that have been here 3+ years
>There is very little room for error on tone, and people will not use context to deduce your intended meaning.
This is exactly what I've heard. It's spelled similar in pinyin but the Chinese won't work out what you mean if the tone is off.

I'm getting given free lessons from my business associates and I'm also looking into paying for some as well. To be honest of all things that you can teach yourself with self directed learning, I think languages are probably one of the most difficult. Chinese especially. Maybe you can do it but I would recommend finding a weekly class and sticking to it.

One thing I've heard is that apparently learning Chinese makes you realise how wasteful English is. It's a very efficient language.
>>
Nigel Snodstone - Thu, 02 Nov 2017 20:13:29 EST ID:bzWY9Esr No.12879 Ignore Report Quick Reply
pinyin is dumb shit and most chinese dont know it. learn the characters.
>>
龙东 - Thu, 08 Feb 2018 18:21:28 EST ID:zR1u5dWA No.12895 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12824
你开始了学习中文吗?
我的母语是英文但我爱汉字还学习了这语一年。
我还是写和说不好。我很喜欢学习中文。我不知道为什么。哈哈。
>>
Basil Minderwill - Thu, 08 Feb 2018 18:42:49 EST ID:aixhVaRY No.12896 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12895

Did you start learning Chinese?
My mother tongue is English, but I love learning Chinese for a year.
I still write and say bad. I really like learning Chinese. I do not know why. Haha.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.