420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Are there still jobs for translators and interpreters? by Nicholas Dorrydat - Sun, 06 Aug 2017 09:33:59 EST ID:3UeT/0lX No.12846 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1502026439323.jpg -(96977B / 94.70KB, 535x421) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 96977
I did an introductory translation course but I never followed it up because it became very clear that I'd spend the next 10 years of my life competing with people happy to be paid 1 euro an hour on oDesk, and after that probably just be replaced with computers.

Am I wrong? It is very much the area where my skills lie, I'm good at studying languages and I really enjoy it, but I think there is no point in getting the DipTrans or a masters in translation because there is no future in translation.

Interpreting will last longer, surely? What about that? What language pairs are most in demand I wonder...
>>
Beatrice Snodridge - Tue, 08 Aug 2017 16:41:45 EST ID:FFL47ufi No.12849 Ignore Report Quick Reply
You are absolutely wrong about translators jobs being replaced by computers. People trust humans over computers any day of the week.

Interpreting sure. Pays really well if you know an EU language. And certainly in the UK if you can interpret for sign language you've got job security for life.
>>
Samuel Deffingshaw - Thu, 31 Aug 2017 12:10:52 EST ID:IWuTMAIO No.12864 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12849
I don't think I am wrong, when I started learning Spanish just 6 years ago the going rate for a translation was 26 cents a word, and google translator was unheard of. Now the going rate for a human is 2-5cents a word, outsourcing and google translator seem to have destroyed this industry.

I live in Ireland, there are no free resources for learning ISL, classes are expensive, a degree in it takes years and has 90% drop out rate, and it isn't an official language so there aren't that many jobs in it.

I would like to be an interpreter, yes indeed.
>>
George Duddlelock - Sat, 09 Sep 2017 10:08:04 EST ID:1ps++g6d No.12867 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12864
>interpreter in Ireland
Who would even want to go to Ireland in the first place? Move to another country, learn the language and there's your translator job.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.