420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
A subject is required when posting a new thread
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists


Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Prisoner's Rights Laws & Helping Get An Inmate Out Of Prison by John Gurryforth - Thu, 07 Dec 2017 22:25:24 EST ID:tmEt2bf3 No.45988 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1512703524348.png -(3577716B / 3.41MB, 1920x1080) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 3577716
family worried about an inmate who is being raped, beaten, and threatened with death by other inmates. the financial support of this inmate is also being taken advantage of by these inmates.

can prisoner's rights law help with this kind of situation? it seems that inmates have rights to be free from sexual abuse whether they're inmates or staff. can anything be done to help get them out of prison sooner? they are close to being released but that could be a year or two and this person has been in long enough and they seem to be doing better, as they have gotten their GED and furthered their education even beyond that.

a few people I talked to said one thing or another, but some info was helpful that might be relevant in this context. One person said keep calling many different places, and another said to look for a pro bono lawyer. is any of this useful? thanks.
Eugene Popperford - Sat, 09 Dec 2017 12:27:10 EST ID:VDw2Ex8H No.45989 Ignore Report Quick Reply
typical lawyer answer: it depends/it's complicated.

Are there circumstances where you can recover on a civil rights suit for an inmate who is being raped, yes. Is every inmate getting raped going to be able to recover, not even close. Most probably can't.

and notice I said recover, as in money damages. getting raped isn't going to get you out of jail quicker.

Also it's pretty unlikely you need anyone who would take this pro-bono. You need to get a civil rights lawyer and get a consult. They can explain in greater detail why the inmate is probably SOL. If they do take the case they will do it on contingency and take their fees out of the damages (civil rights suits have automatic attorney's fees awarded).

Good luck.
Martha Gimblederk - Sat, 13 Jan 2018 02:33:18 EST ID:DOOcZF46 No.46055 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I can make a call to prison for a fee and tell them what is up. Also can set up moral reparaitions before being released if needed.

Just wondering.. by Walter Binkinshit - Thu, 11 Jan 2018 18:59:53 EST ID:XBKVnpb3 No.46049 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1515715193216.jpg -(24157B / 23.59KB, 612x399) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 24157
I'm moving from Virginia into the District of Columbia. As I understand, here in Virginia, if you break into my house, I can legally use deadly force to defend myself. I can also own pretty much any gun I want without a license and openly carry said gun in most jurisdictions, with the exception of some higher capacity rifles.

now, in DC, I can't open-carry anything or own short-barrelled shotguns, semi-automatic guns, magazines with more than ten-round capacity, and everything needs to licensed with the MPD (50$, tack on another 150$ if it's a handgun) AND I need to complete a 3 hour training course to register anything. Another 18 hour course with a portion at the range with an mpd-licensed instructor to conceal-carry a handgun.

Which is fine, I'm not particularly fussed about jumping through hoops to keep a shotgun in my apartment. If I wanted to sell it or trade it or whatever, I can drive into Virginia and do whatever I want with it.

What I'm having trouble finding is information on defending yourself with the gun--specifically, if somebody breaks in (which happens in DC often enough), do I have the right to use deadly force to defend myself? If I'm on the street, it looks like I've got the 'duty to retreat' but its less clear what happens if I'm in my apartment and a crackhead with a knife or a gun from VA gets in. Anybody have any insight?
Nigel Henningville - Thu, 11 Jan 2018 21:44:33 EST ID:kaMhjWeW No.46050 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I think you're looking for either a castle doctrine or a duty to retreat. DC has neither. You can't claim self-defense if you start shit or to protect property, but if you have a reasonable belief that you are in imminent physical danger you can respond with whatever force is necessary. A jury will ultimately decide whether your actions are reasonable.

Room mate is lying about having paid energy bills, what to do? by Betsy Crallyhure - Mon, 18 Dec 2017 16:20:15 EST ID:o65TBgRa No.46006 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1513632015120.png -(1860876B / 1.77MB, 2654x1186) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 1860876
Hey /LAW/ I was hoping you can give me some insight about what are my options here. This is kind of a stressful situation for me and I really just need to vent a bit before I can figure out how to proceed. First and foremost I am dealing with a good friend who happens to be my house mate, and I really would like to find a way to resolve this without ruining our friendship.

We are in a unique living situation, where the house is actually owned by the company which employs us both, so we do not have to pay rent or internet, but we are responsible for paying the energy bills. The energy bills for the house we live in are all in my name (I lived in the house for a while before he moved in), and I so pay the bills in full, and he is supposed to pay me half. (Lol great situation, I'm fucked now right?)

Basically I believe that he is lying to me flat-out, as he is saying that he already paid his share (to me, in cash) when in fact he never did. I have several pieces of evidence as to why I know he is lying, but the problem is that I have been kind of unreliable insofar as telling him what he owes me in a timely manner. I never sent him a text message or email in the moment to confirm I just paid a bill, or anything like that. It has always been just like I'd knock on his door when he is around and say "hey, I just paid the bill, it was XX this month" and he's given me his share cash either right away or a day or two later, and it was no big deal.

But one time a few months ago, I brought it up to him that he owed me, and he claimed to have already paid, but I was skeptical and had no recollection of it, but didn't want to fight about it and it was a very inexpensive bill during the summer, so I let it slide. A few weeks prior to this happening, we had a long discussion about my cannabis usage and its apparent effects on my memory. So after we had that discussion, I changed my cannabis usage habits, and further made a deliberate point to make notes on my phone of specific details like how much the bills were for, and if he'd paid me yet.

So I paid another bill yesterday and just went to go inform him about it today, and also to remind him about the previous bills he owes (3 months now). He says that he paid me for the first 2 months a few weeks ago, which I do not have any recollection of, and there isn't a note of it on my phone, so I am initially suspicious.

He claims to have paid me while I was in the middle of packing for a road trip that I took at the end of the last month. I do not believe he paid me on this day because, aside from the obvious fact that I do not recall it or have any notes, I do have a record of the fact that I stopped at an ATM when I left for my trip, because I only had like 2 dollars in my wallet when I left, and figured I should have cash on the road. If he had paid me cash while I was packing for the trip, I would not have needed to stop at an ATM.

Furthermore, there is the fact that on the day he claims to have paid me, I had just paid another bill the day before (which I forgot to tell him about, because he was out of the house when I paid it). If he had really paid me as he claims to have, I obviously would have mentioned it to him that there was another bill at that time, but I did not, because this encounter never took place.

This is really only a matter of $250 or so, and I'm not trying to be Scrooge here. But I can't stand the fact that it seems plainly obvious that he is lying and thinks he can take advantage of me, and that just pisses me off. I don't want to take him to small claims court or any crap like that. If money is tight because he is spending a ton going out all the time with his girlfriend, it's not my problem, but honestly I don't even mind if he wants to hold off on paying for a few months and pay me when he can, it's not like I'm going to charge interest or any shit like that - it's just if he really is lying to me flat out, then there is really not much I can do with regards to trusting him. So yeah, this shit is raising my blood pressure.
Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
Phineas Crigglebury - Tue, 19 Dec 2017 00:12:39 EST ID:Gxd27+aE No.46007 Ignore Report Quick Reply
The legal situation is that it's your word against his. Good luck with that. The life skills situation is that you need to learn how to be a functioning adult. If your system of keeping track of money isn't working, get a new system. If your memory is a problem, buy a box of envelopes so he can label his cash contributions.
Nicholas Weshnat - Wed, 03 Jan 2018 22:02:04 EST ID:gKgf0FQX No.46022 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Just take this one as a loss and from now on only tell him about the bills through text

how to keep a killer out of jail by Shitting Honeyforth - Tue, 19 Dec 2017 22:06:51 EST ID:xdJZdt0i No.46012 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1513739211369.jpg -(54505B / 53.23KB, 640x480) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 54505
how do you win a court case when your client clearly killed him please help
so i have this client all the edvidence points to him and i need that money
Phyllis Blapperham - Wed, 20 Dec 2017 12:21:41 EST ID:7+bAkpmb No.46013 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Try law school. It helps.
Polly Ceblingbodging - Fri, 22 Dec 2017 05:54:40 EST ID:dMXCI0R2 No.46016 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Jury trial, filled with people who are aware they can let him walk, and a "victim" who genuinely had it coming. Could also somehow dose the judge and rival attorney with something /del/...

Did he have it coming, or are you being taken by your greed, for some scumbag?
Angus Suffingbick - Sat, 23 Dec 2017 17:10:48 EST ID:OF1rZvH5 No.46017 Ignore Report Quick Reply
You know, most people on this site can actually handle their drugs.
Samuel Hobberdack - Sun, 24 Dec 2017 06:45:08 EST ID:dMXCI0R2 No.46018 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Yes? We're also probably not the judge or prosecution...

Police holding property without pressing charges by Isabella Simmerkodging - Wed, 01 Nov 2017 18:51:32 EST ID:M8NCHKvj No.45955 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1509576692418.gif -(2384461B / 2.27MB, 380x214) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 2384461
How long can police hold property as "evidence" without ever filing charges?

pic unrelated
Jarvis Puffingkudge - Wed, 01 Nov 2017 18:58:21 EST ID:1xEwN5jy No.45956 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Depends on the state's civil forfeiture statute. Generally indefinitely.
Nathaniel Cheblingsut - Thu, 02 Nov 2017 19:48:07 EST ID:0+Kp5gpo No.45958 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Civil forfeiture involves a written notice of forfeiture. Seized property as evidence is a totally different thing. In practical terms, police will sit on the evidence until you ask for it back, a judge forces them to release it, or the law says they can sell it.
Betsy Cripperbere - Mon, 20 Nov 2017 16:12:11 EST ID:5YM97a/6 No.45969 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Have t find out how to get it back. Some states can take whatever and difficult o not possible to get back without a lot of foot work. As well never get it back. A gentleman
in Colorado got his weed back after quite a long time, judge, higher court ruled it
be released back to him.
Rebecca Werringledge - Mon, 11 Dec 2017 17:30:18 EST ID:f/8heROi No.45993 Ignore Report Quick Reply
you could call the department and ask, or get a lawyer to help you file a civil case, or do it on your own, or forget about it.

How fucked is my friend? by Edwin Paffingstene - Sat, 02 Dec 2017 01:22:36 EST ID:ZMcYSML9 No.45983 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1512195756297.jpg -(45903B / 44.83KB, 480x533) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 45903
My friend got into heroin last year. We're in wisconsin. I stopped hanging out with him around the time because i dont fuck with that shit.

I knew it was bad when he called me in march. He was selling everything he owns "To pay for a lawyer" because he got busted with an eighth of dope and some dirty needles, felony charge and misdemeanor drug possession. I bought his boom box (i know it wasnt stolen, he had it for years and a friend made it) and dipped.

Now ive been following on the court records since because i'm nosey. He got busted again in august. Another felony. Should mention before he got into heroin he had a weed charge a few years back too. Now hes been doing these 2 court cases, today he got a felony bail jumping for not showing up to piss and is currently listed in the county inmate system.

How long is this fucker gonna sit for?
Edwin Paffingstene - Sat, 02 Dec 2017 01:26:57 EST ID:ZMcYSML9 No.45984 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>felony charge and misdemeanor drug possession]

Sorry, felony drug possesion and misdemeanor paraphernalia

So to clarify, he has a marijuana charge from a few years ago thats taken care of and done with but on his record, and he currently has 2 open cases of narcotics possession felonies that are unrelated and he's also facing a misdemeanor paraphernalia. and now a bail jumping felony too.

Pretty sure this dude is gonna die soon, but how long will he sit in prison if he doesn't?
Rebecca Werringledge - Mon, 11 Dec 2017 17:22:54 EST ID:f/8heROi No.45991 Ignore Report Quick Reply
he should go to rehab as soon as possible, even if it's after a year or two in jail.

Filing a claim by Rebecca Nicklefield - Tue, 05 Dec 2017 01:15:34 EST ID:ePYnzdwX No.45986 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1512454534084.jpg -(3685049B / 3.51MB, 4160x3120) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 3685049
I slipped and fell on a walking path with a drainige issue and fractured my femur. I was filing an insurance claim on my own for a missed salary for 4 months out of work but now I'm considering a lawyer. The accident happend 2 months ago, is it too late to consult with a lawyer after speaking with the parks department who reccomended i file a claim?
Caroline Turveyshaw - Wed, 06 Dec 2017 02:02:45 EST ID:fDWF9fAK No.45987 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Don't wait too long. If women can accuse someone for rape when it happened years ago, and get a lawyer so can you.
Eugene Popperford - Sat, 09 Dec 2017 12:28:50 EST ID:VDw2Ex8H No.45990 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>recover for 4 months out of work
>accident happened 2 months ago


Maine Lemons Laws: Should Dealer Pay for Replacement Part? by Rebecca Heshfure - Fri, 01 Dec 2017 03:25:09 EST ID:7iJuH1eX No.45982 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1512116709408.jpg -(80841B / 78.95KB, 960x576) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 80841
What are the state of Maine lemon laws concerning faulty issues on cars?

Recently, I bought a used car, my first car, at a small dealership, but I encountered a slight issue with the driver door: One of the pieces in the frame has worn out (which I noticed the hour after I bought the car) and the door won't stay open. The dealer contract allows 30 days of free labor for any repairs

>Bought a used car for $5500 (Chevy Equinox) from a small, independent dealership.
>Purchase contract states that I get one month of free labor for repairs and things, but I have to cover for parts myself.

>The day I buy the car, I notice the driver seat door doesn't stick open when I push the door all the way.
>Look closer, a black piece between the car and the door has been worn out over time.
>Look into it, bring it over to the dealership, he tells me it's a "door strike"
>Talk to my mother about the situation over Thanksgiving weekend, she says that that is something that should have been taken care of before I bought the car.
>Later on, we talk over the phone, she tells me it's a safety issue and that the small dealer should cover the cost of the part, along with the labor.
>Try to talk to the dealer on the phone about the issue: he gets rude with me, tell me that it's an "issue to my liking, not an issue of safety," and that it doesn't violate any kind of federal regulation. Throughout the discussion, he constantly interrupted me and seemed evasive.
Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
Doris Pezzleforth - Mon, 04 Dec 2017 20:06:34 EST ID:SEIQTWms No.45985 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Lemon laws are warranties of last resort to protect people who buy unrepairable junk. It's not what you're looking for. Did you have the car inspected by a mechanic before purchasing it? If so there might be some liability there but I doubt it. And if not, you'll want to do that while you still have free labor.

SSI and saving money. by James Pockdale - Sun, 08 Oct 2017 13:33:54 EST ID:Y6izbsvG No.45930 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1507484034308.gif -(14260B / 13.93KB, 261x251) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 14260
Hopefully I'm going to be going on SSI/SSDI by the end of the year,

So with SSI you're only supposed to have $2000 in assets or your benefits stop. Now the SSA can only monitor what you have in the bank, so if you never mention it is there anything stopping you from saving cash in a safe at home that the SSA doesn't know about? It seems logical that you could do this and I've checked a few other sources online that have mentioned doing this, but I'm curious what /law/'s opinion and experience is.

On a side note I think it is really idiotic that you can't save money on SSI. So... apparently the SSA deems that if you can save beyond a certain amount, you don't deserve disability because you're doing well enough?
5 posts and 2 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
Molly Blackfuck - Thu, 23 Nov 2017 12:37:42 EST ID:7OEm/IiC No.45974 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I'm no expert or anything, but unless you're having to save receipts for the food/rent/medical expenses you're *supposed* to be spending the money on then how would they know you were exaggerating your financial needs and saving the surplus?
Jenny Drennerville - Sat, 25 Nov 2017 10:37:22 EST ID:amO2ItNG No.45978 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Would you care to state exactly why you are going on SSI?
Cornelius Dartstone - Sun, 26 Nov 2017 13:12:35 EST ID:VDw2Ex8H No.45979 Ignore Report Quick Reply
if you're saying "how would they know" with regards to public funds you're absolutely committing fraud.

So...maybe don't do that.
Ernest Sozzleshit - Wed, 29 Nov 2017 02:03:38 EST ID:Y6izbsvG No.45980 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1511939018113.jpg -(132601B / 129.49KB, 945x945) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
From what I understand, only representative payees (people appointed by the SSA to manage the money of SSI/SSDI recipients who can not do so themselves) actually need to keep records and reciepts so I think I'm safe with just sticking cash in an Amazon account or under a mattress or in a home safe.

The SSA actually says you can not legally have more than 2000 dollars or things collected for their value that could be easily sold adding up to that amount, but it's not like they can just search your home for cash whenever they want or have an automatic awareness of all your cash transactions. Amazon credit couldn't actually be sold in any form and it would actually allow me to save for things like a new PC, my current one is getting pretty old.
Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Basically I'm too much of a depressed, autistic, anxious, social retard to get a job or leave the house for anything other than necessities. According to my lawyer the judge approved my case without a hearing on some certain conditions and I'm just waiting on the approval letter.
Ernest Sozzleshit - Wed, 29 Nov 2017 02:26:36 EST ID:Y6izbsvG No.45981 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Note the 2000 dollar limit is only if you're on SSI. With SSDI you can save as much as you want. I'm getting both. I am considering deliberately going off SSI once I get all my backpay. I'm aware that you are given a 9 month period after where backpay does not contribute to the limit after receiving it.

Immigrating to the US with criminal record by Eliza Perrydan - Sat, 18 Nov 2017 17:58:41 EST ID:Kd1RDGR5 No.45965 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1511045921686.jpg -(536005B / 523.44KB, 1024x576) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 536005
I've been wanting to immigrate to the U.S. for a few years now. I'm from the UK, I'm currently in my last year of my undergraduate in Software Engineering, going onto a masters in CompSci, high GPA and all that. The reason I'm mentioning all this is that when I was younger, I had more than my fair share of run-ins with the police and I'm wondering how much of the "changed character" bullshit they'll buy if I've generally been squeaky clean for the last 4 years or so (will be about 6 years when I intend to apply)

I have a conviction for possession of class As (MDMA) in 2014 and a vandalism conviction in 2011. I also have two theft charges but was proven not guilty on both counts and I think a caution for a small amount of weed in like 2009. But out of all that, two convictions. Obviously the one I'm really worried about is the class A.

You see a lot of shit about "Oh, be honest on the forms" and all that but generally speaking, if I was to try to immigrate to the US, is it easy for them to see my entire UK criminal history? Should I be honest on the forms? I'm wanting to go in with, hopefully, a job offer from somewhere in the US. Would be great to hear if anyone has went through the same thing and what's best to do.
Sophie Gazzlegold - Sat, 18 Nov 2017 22:05:41 EST ID:VDw2Ex8H No.45966 Ignore Report Quick Reply
That MDMA conviction is absolutely going to prevent you from getting residency.

I don't think you have much of a chance of getting a waiver, but if it's worth it to you you should have an attorney contact the consulate to try it.
Betsy Cripperbere - Mon, 20 Nov 2017 15:46:27 EST ID:5YM97a/6 No.45967 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Could claim political asylum? Of course that makes things either more difficult or easier. International law is difficult.
Esther Grandridge - Fri, 24 Nov 2017 17:54:54 EST ID:nnWavY08 No.45977 Ignore Report Quick Reply

political asylum from UK to US? lol wut
Rebecca Werringledge - Mon, 11 Dec 2017 17:27:21 EST ID:f/8heROi No.45992 Ignore Report Quick Reply
no, don't be too free with that information, don't get arrested in the usa, and contact an immigration lawyer stateside to help the transition.

Starting a medical dispensary in california? by George Bongerforth - Wed, 22 Nov 2017 07:56:16 EST ID:ZeWCeBIE No.45970 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1511355376395.jpg -(108515B / 105.97KB, 500x500) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 108515
Hey guys I've saved up for over 8 years to open a medical dispensary in California and I think I have enough capital to get started. but the problem is, I don't know wha the fuck to do to start. I've called City Halls in Compton, Long Beach and Gardena and I'm not getting any help other than needing a business license. Any help would be greatly appreciated ! I apologize in advance if this isn't the right place to post this...
Clara Bosslelire - Wed, 22 Nov 2017 17:53:02 EST ID:VDw2Ex8H No.45971 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I don't know what if any special considerations starting a dispensary comes with; however, you should be able to find a transactional attorney that knows all about it in any city you're interested in.

You have absolutely no business trying to start a business without legal counsel, so just have them figure it out.
George Bongerforth - Wed, 22 Nov 2017 18:37:39 EST ID:ZeWCeBIE No.45972 Ignore Report Quick Reply

Thanks for that! I'm currently looking for consulting at the moment? Any other tips?
Augustus Hittingcocke - Thu, 23 Nov 2017 11:57:27 EST ID:VDw2Ex8H No.45973 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Not from me. I'm a trial attorney so starting a business isnway out of my depth. I can't recommend getting an attorney enough though. It would be my first step.
Esther Grandridge - Thu, 23 Nov 2017 20:13:24 EST ID:nnWavY08 No.45975 Ignore Report Quick Reply
never seen candy cane cones lol nice
Doris Bevingwill - Fri, 24 Nov 2017 17:10:15 EST ID:ZeWCeBIE No.45976 Ignore Report Quick Reply

Thanks again!

Advice Please by Sidney Passlelure - Mon, 13 Nov 2017 20:34:40 EST ID:D3DcBQ85 No.45962 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1510623280053.jpg -(43955B / 42.92KB, 460x638) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 43955
I recently moved to MN to find a job. Been a couple weeks.

Two days ago, I went to a concert and took some benzos.

I blacked out outside in the parking lot. When the police found my body, I had frost on me. They took me into the station and then took me to the hospital.

I had nothing on me, I was only intoxicated.

Will a police report be filed even though I cannot be charged?

Will potential employers have access to this information even though I was not charged?

I fucked up bad. I just need some advice. If I can't get a job in my field, I'm gonna have to shoot alot lower.
Betsy Cripperbere - Mon, 20 Nov 2017 16:04:58 EST ID:5YM97a/6 No.45968 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>Will potential employers have access to this information even though I was not charged?

Kinda doubt it. I would be more concerned with health info being leaked for $$ But
again, doubt it.

<<Last Pages Next>>
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Report Post
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.