420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
How much should I expect to pay? by Ernest Caffingford - Mon, 20 Mar 2017 05:24:11 EST ID:w9qlNc4Q No.45788 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1490001851269.jpg -(33421B / 32.64KB, 500x548) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 33421
I got caught going way too fast on a rural route. I was going 80 in a 60 and got pulled by an undercover car.

I've decided it's worth it to get a lawyer to try and plead my way into traffic school. I'm actually feeling pretty remorseful about it, I'm just depressed and driving through rural areas is bleaker than fuck. I have no other defense.

I'm in VA, does anyone know how much I can expect to pay for a traffic lawyer?
>>
Jenny Clupperneck - Mon, 20 Mar 2017 13:38:46 EST ID:QpHNyh8v No.45789 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Traffic school isn't rehab. The court will in all likelihood tell you if your offence can be dismissed by attending a defensive driving course. Or you could just ask. Save the lawyer for when they want to take your license away.
>>
Nicholas Bluddlestud - Fri, 24 Mar 2017 05:12:51 EST ID:p31SoZMh No.45791 Ignore Report Quick Reply
couple hundred bux

relax dude you werent doing like 120 in a 30 or some shit, dunno why you're so stressed about this
>>
Sidney Shittingshit - Thu, 13 Apr 2017 01:30:48 EST ID:DMsa3Mjv No.45814 Ignore Report Quick Reply
80 in a 60 this is like the most normal thing you could do, if you had been relaxed and polite you maybe couldve gotten of with a warning. good thing you weren't caught with marijuana. you could always plead not guilty, see if the cop shows up to court, etc.
>>
Phineas Huggleworth - Thu, 13 Apr 2017 14:56:07 EST ID:5sPPNv6g No.45819 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>45814
I got 60 in a 40 the other day (NH). $125 fine.
>>
Ghengis Dong - Fri, 14 Apr 2017 20:00:07 EST ID:ashsS/Ug No.45821 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Don't shell out for a lawyer over something so trivial. You know you were speeding, plead guilty because that's what you and the cop know is the truth, not-guilty means you're contesting whether it actually happened. You're not going to win with your word against a cop, and they're more likely to go with a higher penalty for you wasting their time. Plead guilty, it's the truth, and the penalty's always lower than if you contest it and lose which you will.

I'd be surprised if you pay more than 200-300 when it's all settled, but a lawyer will cost you a bundle. They aren't gonna take your license or anything over a single speeding ticket, you gotta relax
>>
Polly Pittstone - Wed, 11 Oct 2017 12:15:29 EST ID:ANdgN0Px No.45936 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>45821
Let's see, there's a good chance the cop won't show up; his insurance will skyrocket if he loses; nothing will be made worse by pleading not guilty as it's only a 20-over speeding ticket.

It's not like they're going to offer him a reduced penalty for pleading guility in traffic court.

Fight it, Mr. Caffingford.
>>
Sidney Lightshit - Thu, 12 Oct 2017 16:18:23 EST ID:Wld+/Fwa No.45938 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>45936
Prosecutor here: we do that all the time. Fighting a speeding ticket is insane unless you're going to lose your license.
>>
apsavage !7pJdAZLSeo - Fri, 13 Oct 2017 01:47:44 EST ID:kvvZkdTk No.45939 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>45938

Every single time I've been to misdemeanor court, at least half the people there are for minor traffic violations.

Every single person who fought their ticket just ended up making themselves look like an ass and got as close to the max as possible everytime. (If not the max) Almost the entire group who plead guilty are offered some offer in the two or so hours between whatever time you're asked to be there (usually 8) and whenever the judge actually shows up and court begins (usually 10). Honestly this is true for almost all misdemeanors that don't carry minimum sentences. I see so many people try to fight possession of marijuana charges when if they plea guilty 9/10 it's reduced to criminal mischief 1rst offense and $100 fine I wonder about their sanity.

Seriously don't fight moronic shit like this unless it will cost you your license, your job, or if you ever plan on running for office. Pay your ~$150 and fuck off lol. It's unfortunate you even have to waste time in court over this stupid shit and can't just pay online.
>>
Martha Bommlewater - Tue, 17 Oct 2017 14:26:30 EST ID:9By6r+1d No.45943 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>45821
No police officer would show up in court for this. This not a jail able offense. He would likely talk to the DA for a few moments, be 'offered' a 'basic' fine, lose a few simple points.

Basic traffic court. Not even a public urination level of an offense.
>>
Martha Bommlewater - Tue, 17 Oct 2017 14:38:31 EST ID:9By6r+1d No.45944 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>45938
>Prosecutor here: we do that all the time. Fighting a speeding ticket is insane

I have seen people not fight it, but have a reasonable reason for 'not knowing'
their speed. Now speeding, we have street racing, speed contests, which is
a crime on it's own and kinda serious, like felony serious.
>>
Shit Clucklelot - Wed, 18 Oct 2017 07:03:25 EST ID:1xEwN5jy No.45947 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>45944
I don't know the law in other states, but I imagine it's similar to mine. To convict you of speeding, I don't have to prove you were traveling any specific amount over the speed limit, just that you were going over the limit.

I've never seen anyone successfully fight a speeding ticket. It just doesn't work, and then I'm doubling your fine.
>>
Sidney Gallyshit - Sat, 21 Oct 2017 03:16:07 EST ID:C6JXKq0Q No.45949 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>45947
There is a reason they calibrate their radar guns. To prove in fact one was speeding the burden would have to show how fast one was actually traveling. A simple person was exceeding the speed limit doesn't cut it here.

As far as beating a speeding ticket, here there have been husband driving wife to hospital who is in labor and about to drop at any moment. And the DA has thrown out the ticket because the speeding was reasonable considering.

A faulty speedometer has gotten my associate off when he showed up with a broken speedometer able, and a receipt showing in good faith that in regard to recently a in a few days before it broke, and immediately replaced it after the ticket. Good enough? The DA was fine with it. The judge was actually very happy that person took the initiative to utilize the justice system in a positive and I might add resourceful manner.

A few days did lapse, because of no time to fix the cable. The officer was told this. The was no realistic way for the officer to verify this, nor verify when the
cable did break let alone again, if it was actually broken.

There are other instances. Yes fighting a minor ticket would be foolish unless,,
>>
Matilda Toothall - Sun, 22 Oct 2017 15:34:16 EST ID:1xEwN5jy No.45952 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>45949
>There is a reason they calibrate their radar guns. To prove in fact one was speeding the burden would have to show how fast one was actually traveling. A simple person was exceeding the speed limit doesn't cut it here.

Well for us to use radar evidence we have to show the same. I'm curious what state you're in however because that is unusual for the burden to be proving the actual speed.

The rest of your examples aren't beating a ticket, they are just justifying the speeding. I negotiate reductions all the time for people who can give me a reason to. Doesn't mean they've beaten a ticket, and having that attitude is a way to go from a reduction to having charges added (which i regularly do as well).

In your first example if the guy was being a dick in the negotiations I would add reckless endangerment and in the second I would add failure to maintain required equipment.

People should try to negotiate their tickets, but be respectful and don't demand/expect any reduction or it's not going to go well.
>>
Jarvis Hellypun - Wed, 01 Nov 2017 04:48:05 EST ID:S1ZAIy5L No.45953 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>45952
>because that is unusual for the burden to be proving the actual speed.

Not really. That is what speed guns are for. The calibraations is to ensure that the speeds is somewhat acurate. Say doing 35, in a school zone, where the speed is say 10 MPH, for say 2,000ft. It happens all the time. It has been shown over and over and over, that officers(s) did not calibrate speed guns.

Um may be accurate, it is time resource comsuming to calibrate guns every morning, evening, yet some departments do just that. MY take, a gun shoulnd not be way off if not calibrated in two days, but, it can
happen.

Case dismissed because of that. It is not uncommon, that people I guess "beat' speeeding tickets, because of miscalibration or as well not calibrating their speed guns.. It does happens pretty constantly. simply, dis your calibrate your gun that morning? (no,) enough to say get past a speeding ticket, guilty, knowingly, unknown.

Instant get off if there is no evidence of calibration. Ubless one is doinf like 80 in a 40. Just foor fact, radar guns are to be tested daily before shifts. If not, yea two days. #. a week.

Even if speed guns were calibrayted corrrectly days before, and still correct, but not matched/calibradeted before a shift, but very accurate, people can beat these cases because of this simple fact that they were not calibrated to procedure..
-
It happens pretty consistantly. People get off just as easy. As well as a miscalibratedeted speed gun, could be altered, be off by say 15 MPH. If not calibraditadeted by simple guidelines. People could get off from tickets,
whether innocient, unwittingly or deceipt. This is where people challange tickets, this is where police officers actully show up in court, or miss court. In these instances where calibration is the main issue. That is where police 'do' generally show up in court.
>>
Jarvis Hellypun - Wed, 01 Nov 2017 05:07:15 EST ID:S1ZAIy5L No.45954 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>45953
So, in challangeing simple exceeding speedi-limit cases, the best bet is to challange speed calibration testing. Generally before every shift, if it is not tested, it may become invalid. in reality, calibrating speed guns is trivial, but resource inrensive as well. Say one tested gun # two days before, why shud it be retested a day later? well, that is how, peole get off from speeding tickets. Simply, officer need not lie and say it was calibradiated, before traffic shift, as two days before it was fine. Records do indicate that claibration was done, when , by who, etc.

It is what it is. Know all Jr. attorney, should know, that merely exceeding a speed limit, is nothing, it proves nothing. No proof that speed limit was exceeded without proof of a radar gun, as well recomended calibrations before each shift.
As well after. These prove to be time resource comsuming.

This is the basic way folks get off from speeding ticklts. Simple but true.
>>
Jarvis Puffingkudge - Wed, 01 Nov 2017 19:02:21 EST ID:1xEwN5jy No.45957 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Prosecutor here again:

I'm in a podunk area of a deep south state and even here not calibrating speed detection devices literally never happens. I've probably resolved 10K speeding cases and i've never seen it. I've gotten radar evidence suppressed twice (for reasons other than lack of calibration) and still got convictions because the officer can testify he paced the car or did a visual estimate.

spoilers: jurors fucking hate assholes who waste jury time on speeding tickets and judges are all to happy to throw the book at idiots who fight them.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.