420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Canada specific! Dealing with a private investigator by Cyril Blackleshit - Mon, 21 Aug 2017 16:41:34 EST ID:Jvq+9Mok No.45901 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1503348094885.gif -(11899B / 11.62KB, 208x223) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 11899
Hi /law/
I need some help dealing with a private investigator, specifically what they by law have access to and what they can do with the information
And alternatively what charges I can press if they release my personal information to someone who could potentially put me in danger.

Long story short; I'm basically being stalked by someone with a long history of mental illness (paranoid schizophrenia). I've complied with 2 police investigations, proved I'm alive, sane and choosing to not contact this person for my own safety. The police have agreed to keep my information hidden from the person because of their state of mind.

This person now has hired a private investigator to find out my personal information and relay it back to them.
Now as far as I know, PI's can do what they want as they don't necessarily have to follow the same laws the police do.

Is there something I can threaten the PI with to make them back off? Can I press charges against them for passing my information to someone who's a hazard to me and mentally ill? I've tried contacting legal services, the police, social workers, etc... But no one can really help me until this person actually causes me harm.
Has anyone else been in this situation or know about laws concerning private investigating?
Thanks!

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.