Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Room mate is lying about having paid energy bills, what to do? by Betsy Crallyhure - Mon, 18 Dec 2017 16:20:15 EST ID:o65TBgRa No.46006 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1513632015120.png -(1860876B / 1.77MB, 2654x1186) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 1860876
Hey /LAW/ I was hoping you can give me some insight about what are my options here. This is kind of a stressful situation for me and I really just need to vent a bit before I can figure out how to proceed. First and foremost I am dealing with a good friend who happens to be my house mate, and I really would like to find a way to resolve this without ruining our friendship.

We are in a unique living situation, where the house is actually owned by the company which employs us both, so we do not have to pay rent or internet, but we are responsible for paying the energy bills. The energy bills for the house we live in are all in my name (I lived in the house for a while before he moved in), and I so pay the bills in full, and he is supposed to pay me half. (Lol great situation, I'm fucked now right?)

Basically I believe that he is lying to me flat-out, as he is saying that he already paid his share (to me, in cash) when in fact he never did. I have several pieces of evidence as to why I know he is lying, but the problem is that I have been kind of unreliable insofar as telling him what he owes me in a timely manner. I never sent him a text message or email in the moment to confirm I just paid a bill, or anything like that. It has always been just like I'd knock on his door when he is around and say "hey, I just paid the bill, it was XX this month" and he's given me his share cash either right away or a day or two later, and it was no big deal.

But one time a few months ago, I brought it up to him that he owed me, and he claimed to have already paid, but I was skeptical and had no recollection of it, but didn't want to fight about it and it was a very inexpensive bill during the summer, so I let it slide. A few weeks prior to this happening, we had a long discussion about my cannabis usage and its apparent effects on my memory. So after we had that discussion, I changed my cannabis usage habits, and further made a deliberate point to make notes on my phone of specific details like how much the bills were for, and if he'd paid me yet.

So I paid another bill yesterday and just went to go inform him about it today, and also to remind him about the previous bills he owes (3 months now). He says that he paid me for the first 2 months a few weeks ago, which I do not have any recollection of, and there isn't a note of it on my phone, so I am initially suspicious.

He claims to have paid me while I was in the middle of packing for a road trip that I took at the end of the last month. I do not believe he paid me on this day because, aside from the obvious fact that I do not recall it or have any notes, I do have a record of the fact that I stopped at an ATM when I left for my trip, because I only had like 2 dollars in my wallet when I left, and figured I should have cash on the road. If he had paid me cash while I was packing for the trip, I would not have needed to stop at an ATM.

Furthermore, there is the fact that on the day he claims to have paid me, I had just paid another bill the day before (which I forgot to tell him about, because he was out of the house when I paid it). If he had really paid me as he claims to have, I obviously would have mentioned it to him that there was another bill at that time, but I did not, because this encounter never took place.

This is really only a matter of $250 or so, and I'm not trying to be Scrooge here. But I can't stand the fact that it seems plainly obvious that he is lying and thinks he can take advantage of me, and that just pisses me off. I don't want to take him to small claims court or any crap like that. If money is tight because he is spending a ton going out all the time with his girlfriend, it's not my problem, but honestly I don't even mind if he wants to hold off on paying for a few months and pay me when he can, it's not like I'm going to charge interest or any shit like that - it's just if he really is lying to me flat out, then there is really not much I can do with regards to trusting him. So yeah, this shit is raising my blood pressure.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

pic unrelated
>>
Phineas Crigglebury - Tue, 19 Dec 2017 00:12:39 EST ID:Gxd27+aE No.46007 Ignore Report Quick Reply
The legal situation is that it's your word against his. Good luck with that. The life skills situation is that you need to learn how to be a functioning adult. If your system of keeping track of money isn't working, get a new system. If your memory is a problem, buy a box of envelopes so he can label his cash contributions.
>>
Nicholas Weshnat - Wed, 03 Jan 2018 22:02:04 EST ID:gKgf0FQX No.46022 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Just take this one as a loss and from now on only tell him about the bills through text

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.