Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Just wondering.. by Walter Binkinshit - Thu, 11 Jan 2018 18:59:53 EST ID:XBKVnpb3 No.46049 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1515715193216.jpg -(24157B / 23.59KB, 612x399) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 24157
I'm moving from Virginia into the District of Columbia. As I understand, here in Virginia, if you break into my house, I can legally use deadly force to defend myself. I can also own pretty much any gun I want without a license and openly carry said gun in most jurisdictions, with the exception of some higher capacity rifles.

now, in DC, I can't open-carry anything or own short-barrelled shotguns, semi-automatic guns, magazines with more than ten-round capacity, and everything needs to licensed with the MPD (50$, tack on another 150$ if it's a handgun) AND I need to complete a 3 hour training course to register anything. Another 18 hour course with a portion at the range with an mpd-licensed instructor to conceal-carry a handgun.

Which is fine, I'm not particularly fussed about jumping through hoops to keep a shotgun in my apartment. If I wanted to sell it or trade it or whatever, I can drive into Virginia and do whatever I want with it.

What I'm having trouble finding is information on defending yourself with the gun--specifically, if somebody breaks in (which happens in DC often enough), do I have the right to use deadly force to defend myself? If I'm on the street, it looks like I've got the 'duty to retreat' but its less clear what happens if I'm in my apartment and a crackhead with a knife or a gun from VA gets in. Anybody have any insight?
>>
Nigel Henningville - Thu, 11 Jan 2018 21:44:33 EST ID:kaMhjWeW No.46050 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I think you're looking for either a castle doctrine or a duty to retreat. DC has neither. You can't claim self-defense if you start shit or to protect property, but if you have a reasonable belief that you are in imminent physical danger you can respond with whatever force is necessary. A jury will ultimately decide whether your actions are reasonable.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.