Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Kirtaner & Spardot's 420chan Wedding

To all guests, live viewers, and our Internet family, THANK YOU.
VODs will be edited soon, we are all so tired.
Wedding Gifts
What the fuck is my lawyer doing? by Oliver Wepperbury - Fri, 16 Feb 2018 13:58:11 EST ID:q2JFoE3m No.46107 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1518807491327.jpg -(160512B / 156.75KB, 1440x1080) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 160512
My parents died about 7 years ago now, while I was still a teenager. My brother and I were supposed to inherit everything, but our aunt went insane and tried to steal all of our shit. She was working with other people ("family friends") and they stole a lot of physical possessions. Then she tried to alter the will and sell off our parents' land and other things. Then she died too (left us nothing, but that is besides the point). We tried to claim the land and a house, but because of our aunt's meddling these things got tied up in disputes. So my brother and I went through all of her shit, found the necessary paperwork to prove things belonged to us, and then went to a lawyer.

The lawyer was amazing. He is well known in the area and was able to get us basically everything. He has charged us for his work a couple times, but it is always drastically less than what he should be charging. We are towards the end of this process now (I believe?) and last we talked to him (maybe a year ago) he said he was waiting on some tax returns on the land so that we could either get money back, or pay any taxes that are due. So now we have a life changing amount of money sitting in an estate account. We've each already taken a small portion out (which helped us both drastically, our parents were alcoholic hoarders and we lived in poverty until we were adults) and things are okay.

But when does this process end? When is it okay to take all the money and never talk to the lawyer again? He's a great guy, but I just want this to be over. I get the feeling like this dude was just doing us a favor, and doesn't care if we take all this money and leave him alone now. But I don't know. I thought about contacting him again and just asking him bluntly how much money he wants and if this process is done. I don't know what to say though. For all I know he's about to retire and just say fuck it.

>tl;dr: A lawyer has been helping my brother and I get our inheritance. It's been a long process that has taken almost a decade now. We've pretty much got everything and I think it's over. He doesn't contact us much, we don't know how to pay him now, or even if he wants to get paid. What do?

Thanks for any advice. I want to do things right, and I don't want to fuck up and end up destitute or something.
>>
George Wuvinglot - Sat, 17 Feb 2018 01:56:27 EST ID:TjWI7Gnh No.46108 Ignore Report Quick Reply
nigga is there a written agreement saying you owe him money? if not peace out the money's yours
>>
Phineas Gesslewill - Sat, 17 Feb 2018 09:09:55 EST ID:7JILdo7B No.46109 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>46108
I have no idea at all, quite frankly. I could probably ask my brother. If there were a written agreement, would we have a copy of it? Is that normal procedure? And would it have a specific name?

Thanks for responding man
>>
Frederick Sirryspear - Sun, 18 Feb 2018 06:16:22 EST ID:TjWI7Gnh No.46114 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>46109

did either one of you sign a paper saying you still need to give him money? like a contract for his services or something? if not ur good
>>
Phyllis Hedgeford - Sun, 18 Feb 2018 11:32:28 EST ID:RFF+c1YA No.46116 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>46114
Most of the time when we were signing papers it was to declare my brother executor of the estate, or that we give the lawyer consent to act for us, or things like that I think. I've never seen a paper with dollar amounts written on it.
>>
Edwin Shakelock - Mon, 19 Feb 2018 03:19:36 EST ID:w9qlNc4Q No.46120 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>46116

Double check any paperwork you do have to be sure (including emails and such), but honestly the best thing to do is be clear about it. If the guy is a lawer he's beholden to your state's BAR association, if he's tryn'a fuck you over you can report him.
Express your gratitude for their help, everyone likes to be appreciated, and then just ask "I've been reviewing my records and I just want to check and see if I owe you anything still for your services?"
If he says you do, he should have a copy of that even if you don't
if he says you don't, yeah you're good. But maybe you can send him some kinda nice liquor this year at the holidays.
>>
George Nupperwill - Mon, 19 Feb 2018 10:59:34 EST ID:xdg51QTD No.46121 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>46120
this, send him a bottle of wine and a thank you note
>>
Frederick Megglewell - Tue, 20 Feb 2018 11:08:22 EST ID:9F7OJV6W No.46122 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>46120
Yeah this is probably the best advice, thanks. I'm going to send him an email soon basically saying "Hello, Mr. Lawyer pants. My brother and I were wondering if there is anything left for us to do about the properties. And I just wanted to check if we still owe you anything for your services. You have helped us out a lot, thank you."

Do you think that's good? also, can you guys, uh, please give me some encouragement. Talking to lawyers is scary man.
>>
Esther Pondershit - Thu, 22 Feb 2018 15:29:21 EST ID:jIottgJ5 No.46127 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I contacted the lawyer today, I sent an email about 6 hours ago and haven't got a response. If I were to just take all of the money and leave the country, what kind of legal repercussions would there be?
>>
Ebenezer Chambleridge - Thu, 22 Feb 2018 18:15:21 EST ID:fEX2Rc9P No.46128 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>46127
Hope you merely said, just contacting you to touch base about the outcome
of all of this. If you will please contact me back.

Your question, "If I were to," I would suggest asking a lawyer. Really though, understand your agreements. Your obligations as well as his obligations and his side of the agreements.
>>
Hamilton Drinningville - Fri, 23 Feb 2018 23:19:54 EST ID:R0D1ctC/ No.46130 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>46128
I said a lot more than "just touching base"

I still haven't gotten a message back, I assume he hates me
>>
Frederick Blungerforth - Thu, 01 Mar 2018 18:47:58 EST ID:en6WwspF No.46148 Ignore Report Quick Reply
The lawyer still has not gotten back to me. I don't think I want to call and open up a can of worms. What am I supposed to do? I feel like I should just take the money out, get a house, and then continue living my life and saving money. Then if he comes back to ask for payment, I'll be good.
>>
Simon Drebberdane - Sun, 15 Apr 2018 14:48:54 EST ID:OmsWdC2e No.46184 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>46148
What country/state are you in OP? The law differs depending on jurisdiction, but in my area, contract law has a lot to do with knowingly committing a crime.
I'd say you're pretty fine, since you seem to have made a reasonable effort to make contact with him, so if he hasn't made a reasonable attempt to retrieve payment, it will likely be seen as abandoned. It's not like you've tried something sneaky to fuck him over or anything like that, but do go back over any documents to make sure there's nothing you've missed.

It's been a while since i dealt with contracts but I recall something about not knowing what you were signing if you were underage or not knowledgeable about the law, which requires him to get you to seek advice of an independent party, since he is both your legal advisor and a party in the contract if there was payment, but yeah probably go see another lawyer about it as they'd know your areas laws better.
>>
Nathaniel Cromblespear - Sun, 22 Apr 2018 09:52:43 EST ID:AnQNcKYA No.46188 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>46184
I'm in Florida. Yeah, the feeling my brother and I have gotten is that he just wants to forget about it and move on with his life. He is getting old, maybe he'll retire and then we'll definitely be good, lol
>>
Samuel Pubbertutch - Sun, 29 Apr 2018 17:23:32 EST ID:7E46F3EL No.46192 Ignore Report Quick Reply
When I got a payment from a lawsuit, it go paid to the lawyers firm, then they took their money out and cut me a check minus their fees.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.