Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum 7.1 Headset Giveaway!

G933 Giveaway     Discussion Thread
Landlord/Tenant Law + a douche by Nell Duckbanks - Tue, 19 Jun 2018 18:39:51 EST ID:y6a/Kvzh No.46220 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1529447991102.png -(21988B / 21.47KB, 90x83) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 21988
Aight /law/ here's the situation.

Renting a single room in a 4br in CA. My lease states that I'm just renting the room, and that I’m responsible only for my portion of the rent. The kitchen/living room is “shared space.” Other tenants’ leases say the same thing. Landlord found us all on craigslist, but we’re all friends now. Pretty cheap rent so we WERE happy.

Except the landlord is a douche. A pretty big douche. He's got it in his mind that he can walk in and out of the place whenever he feels like it, knock on doors when he wants and generally bother us if it suits him that day. He brings over furniture that he doesn’t want and sticks it in the living room and then yells about how the living room is cluttered (what???). He will critique a messy stove or jacket left on the couch when he’s feeling annoyed and someone is home.

It’s pretty clear that he just comes here in a bad mood and takes out whatever frustration he’s feeling on us. Last time he came over, he freaked out on me about the “state of the living room” when I had literally just vacuumed it the day before. Yesterday his tirade ended with him saying “I’m hiring a maid for this house and you all are going to pay for it.” None of us want to pay for a maid, and the house really doesn’t need it. On top of that, he JUST raised the rent this year, so asking us to pay more is pretty unreasonable. I’m pretty done with him, so I was hoping someone on here could help me consider my options.

He claims that since we're just renting the rooms, he's allowed to walk in whenever the he wants. I know that generally, in California a landlord has to have reasonable cause to enter the property or has to give 24 hours notice. He literally never does this.

He think that because we just rent the bedrooms, he’s free to enter/leave the “shared space” as he pleases. Honestly I wouldn’t be all that bothered by this if he wasn’t a huge dick about it, but he is.

Do I have any options here? Is there any way we use this as leverage to make him stop bothering us? Can I fuck this guy legally somehow? I’m willing to go all out putting a significant amount of effort into documenting whatever I need to, I dislike this guy that much.

Thanks
>>
Jack Cozzleden - Tue, 19 Jun 2018 21:21:10 EST ID:n5TT++J/ No.46221 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>He claims that since we're just renting the rooms, he's allowed to walk in whenever the he wants. I know that generally, in California a landlord has to have reasonable cause to enter the property or has to give 24 hours notice. He literally never does this.

That's tenant law. It sounds like you're a lodger. You have most of the same rights as a tenant because you're not lodging in his primary residence, but those rights only extend to your room. On the flip side, you might have limited responsibility for the shared space and other parts of the property. Refer to your lease.

In general, the solution to a shitty landlord is another landlord.
>>
Basil Hishwire - Sat, 30 Jun 2018 12:30:38 EST ID:frxhM7vt No.46222 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>46220

You are basically SOL. Consider finding a new place.
>>
Basil Hishwire - Sat, 30 Jun 2018 12:30:38 EST ID:frxhM7vt No.46223 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>46220

You are basically SOL. Consider finding a new place.
>>
John Dungershit - Wed, 17 Oct 2018 20:58:38 EST ID:viGC9UGH No.46336 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>46221
Find a cheap attorney or a free legal aid (sometimes there's free legal aid and representation for tenants) and sue the shit out of him for breaking multiple landlord/tenant laws. Dont say anything to your landlord until he gets served with the lawsuit and start taking audio and video recordings of him when he comes by and says and does these things but dont let him see you recording but since you love there you have every legal right to record what happens there. Again keep him completely in the dark so he has little to no time to come up with a counter suit. Good luck man and get that bitches money
>>
Cedric Pozzlestotch - Tue, 23 Oct 2018 01:21:08 EST ID:Nczp0zDE No.46338 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>46336
California is a two-party consent state for audio recording, meaning it’s illegal to record him without his consent, and any such recordings would not be admissible as evidence in court.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.