420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

penis pump

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Weird Fiction/Decadent Movement by Whitey Turveygold - Mon, 08 Feb 2016 02:33:43 EST ID:Pzjg6R/p No.68120 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1454916823776.jpg -(25211B / 24.62KB, 225x346) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 25211
I've been trying my best to marathon all I can in order to try to emulate the spirit of the genre through my own stories... Can we get a discussion/recommendation going? I'll contrib00t more when I'm not so xannied out... So far I've got a pile of books conisting of:
-H.P. Lovecraft- The one and only
-Lord Dunsany
-Clark Ashton Smith
-Arthur Machen
-Robert W. Chambers (with the King in Yellow)
-Edgar Allan Poe (of course)
-Thomas Ligotti- My personal favorite so far; can't get enough of this guy's shit
>>
Basil Wuvingfit - Tue, 09 Feb 2016 07:17:19 EST ID:taTKC37o No.68125 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>68120
Try some Ray Bradbury, even if it is more speculative than weird, I think his writing style is more fluid. All those old horror writers were so antisocial that they had no real grasp of how actual humans interact and, while the stories were great terrors, the prose and dialogue could often feel clunky and unnatural. In stories where the characters die at the end, you need to make the audience actually care about the person and see them in something other than a miserable light.
This is the last short story I completed. I knew the ending would be very unsettling and wanted it to freak the audience out, but realized that it wouldn;t work if I spent the entire story trying to build a creepy atmosphere, so I gave it a light Bradbury tone for the first half of it, and then let it slowly slide into horror territory. I wanted people to genuinely fall in love with the doomed heroine of this tale, and Bradbury's style will make the audience love a character much more effectively than some morose Lovecraftian loner ever could. http://textuploader.com/52sit

Bradbury wrote plenty of disturbing short stories that maintained a glib tone the whole way, yet still made the killing blow at the end completely devastating.
>>
Hedda Cucklewell - Thu, 18 Feb 2016 10:40:48 EST ID:VkKRYWvb No.68152 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Robert Aickman, especially "Cold Hand in Mine", but almost all of his stories are good.

Algernon Blackwood's "The Willows", though you have probably heard of it already.

Some of M.R. James' stories.

Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu.

Michael Cisco, a modern "fantasy" author that you might enjoy.

William S. Burroughs definitely has elements in his fiction derived from Lovecraft, if you don't mind reading about violent, frightening gay sex in every other chapter. Try the Cut-Up Trilogy or his last three books, especially the Western Lands.

Brian Evenson's short stories may appeal to you.

Lafcadio Hearn's collection of Kwaidan, and Pu Songling's Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio.

Lautréamont's Chants is the epitome of the decadent movement imo.

Marcel Schwob's Book of Monelle is another essential decadent work.

If you like Dunsany you may also like Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities.

If you want to take a shot at Gothic novels, I suggest Vathek, Melmoth the Wanderer, and A Manuscript Found in Saragossa.

Alfred Kubin's The Other Side, M. John Harrison's Viriconium series, Gustav Meyrink (especially The Golem), and maybe the Gormenghast books.
>>
Isabella Blackdale - Fri, 24 Feb 2017 16:30:59 EST ID:gzTaKzPW No.69063 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>68120
H.P. Lovecraft- The one and only is a good one

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.