420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Books with best written magic/powers by Matilda Hublingted - Mon, 10 Oct 2016 23:03:59 EST ID:NnSLnhxt No.68773 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1476155039362.jpg -(64153B / 62.65KB, 900x750) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 64153
I mean, cool and interesting and with consequences and a complex system and all that. I loved the One Power in the Wheel of Time series, and it is the only thing that kept me reading those god awful books (sorry to fans, it just got so boring and drawn out). The One Power is pretty overpowered, but is balanced with enough weaknesses and drawbacks that it is very cool still.

Harry Potter system is uninteresting to me because it seems limitless and confusing. So many unnecessary spells. Spells themselves come off as wishes that people conjure into reality by speaking phony latin.

COOL spellcasting books ONLY.

Or UNCOOL books if you want to vent.
>>
Nigel Climmerchodge - Tue, 11 Oct 2016 22:02:51 EST ID:4me3EgfW No.68774 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Harry Potter was never too much about the magic anyways. The magic was there to remove you more from your world and to make some of the plot make sense. Lots of seemingly nonsensical stuff were tools to convey stuff (like the patronus fighting off the dementors as a way of using your own mind to ward off bad thoughts or feelings, you see Harry use it again in the next movie to fight off one that chases Dudley cause Dudley is a little bitch with issues and Harry has to spread the positivity and shit)
Though of course that's not always the case, but I think the series has a relatively forgivable concept of magic.

Now, this isn't even a book (well, it is a manga, but), but I was just talking to my friend about old stuff and we brought up fucking Naruto.
It's a fucking shonen (means content for young boys), I know, but they had a fairly interesting, non-invasive (far from perfect, but) "magic" system going in the first 100 chapters or so with their ninjutsu and shit.
Then they had a dragonball z moment and the next 600 chapters were just a gradual downhill mess until the story literally became "you are the chosen one" tier (literally). I mean the magic powers went from having a blood-tribute contract-signing summoning system (that was seen as really extreme at that point in the story) to being able to summon giant magic skeleton ghosts out of nothing and instantly making black fire on people that is impossible to put out (besides those times when it was possible because fuck it this is a show for young boys right?)
In terms of limitless and confusing magic, this stuff blows Harry Potter the fuck out.

But you didn't even mean to talk about that kind of magic.

A videogame like Eternal Darkness is more your idea, I think. If you're into that kind of stuff, I'd totally recommend playing cause it's a great game with a really interesting magic (sorry, "magick") system. None of that fireball-shooting stuff. We're talking runes n shit here, my man. The game even has a sanity gauge instead of generic magic bar system. Aint that somethin

Wait, you wanted books.

Have you checked out Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic? It's a fuckin classic.

Or did you not mean that kind of magic either?

Well, A song of Ice and Fire deserves a little mention here in the way that it portrays its magic, not necessarily how the magic works. It blends very well with the way the book creates different factions of people, because of how people look at the magic through the lenses of different religions. I'm afraid the last 2 books of the series will remove this veil though and it'll become pretty generic magic, so, get it while it lasts, I guess.

Oh, you wanted less obvious stuff?

Well did you ever look into the Earthsea series?
>>
Hugh Clodgeshaw - Wed, 12 Oct 2016 02:44:12 EST ID:NnSLnhxt No.68775 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1476254652467.jpg -(226926B / 221.61KB, 1024x1024) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>68774
Thank you for a well thought out response! I have watched Naruto, and found the fighting system interesting, but never got very far.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is one of my favorite video games. That magic system rocked! Runic magic is great, especially needing to combine and think through the time it takes to mystically carve those runic circles in real time, which takes longer and longer as you summon greater power. That's a good summary of how I like my magic. With great power comes greater complexity and consequences.

I still remember all the god's names. Chatturgha, Xellotath, Uly...aoaoth. MANTOROK. The most 'helpless', but cunning of them all (if you played through the entire game and got his essence as your primary). Kills off all his enemies by using you to summon them to fight at the end, then converging different timelines so they simultaneously destroy one another... damn! That was the most badass ending ever. Highest replay value game I've ever owned, it is basically like 3-4 games in one, with an ever-evolving understanding of a complex story if you get into it and pay close attention.

And the whole insanity meter effecting your ability to fight, on top of needing magick and health. That insanity meter, and the visual/audio effects were legitimately creepy and occasionally nauseating, as well as "jump scares". Made you really WANT to keep your sanity meter up - or down, if you're feeling freaky. ;)

Do they even make games like this anymore? Bummer.

I loved Earthsea magic. Spoken word having power. Ursula Le Guin is a favorite author of mine, I believe I've read all of her work. The non-magical ones, too. The Dispossessed and the other novel that takes place in the same universe. Good stuff. Her take on magic was lovely and it didn't gobble up the story, it was beautifully interwoven into interesting plots with memorable characters.

My favorite was probably the second Earthsea, where the priestess girl is learning about the labyrinth she is supposed to guard. Creepy, that whole place.

I have read through all the current books of ASOIAF. I appreciate the magic in these stories, as in it is vague, yet undeniable. What is magic and where does it come from? What is magic and what is "natural"? What is the difference? Big questions that drive the series.

It is hard to summarize my taste in magic. It is really about how much thought an author puts into what magic IS to him/her, and the world they create. From there, they can create a system with laws and consequences, limitations. Runes are cool for more visualistic styles. But so are esoteric types. Lord of the Rings has a great system of magic. 'Magic' is really just bending reality, I guess - the Istari aren't Wizards, they are demi-gods, being tied to the foundation of the world itself. They are the magic. That is why recklessly abusing power drains the user (Melkor, Sauron, perhaps Saruman). I think, anyway.

Oh, I don't have a really great understanding of magic in the novels I read, I try my best to understand. I'd say my flavor for magic is all over the place, but one thing I want is consistency, limitations, and incentives to use those limitations to the best of one's ability. NOT breaking them and becoming overpowered (your explanation of Naruto hits the nail). A system that naturally punishes overpowerism is good.

I tried Malazan Book of the Fallen, which was highly recommended to me here in /lit/ for high fantasy. What I opened up to was OVERPOWER. A whole city sacked by dark magic just flung fucking everywhere. People appearing in murky black magic portals and unleashing hell in every direction seemingly without any drawback. Being impulsive and judgmental, I shut the book after the first chapter and judged it to be one of those "endless magic" type systems. Where the user seems to pull magic right out of his ass. And from there, where's the fun? If you can do grandiose things with a flick of your wrist, the story just keeps bloating. DBZ/Naruto, you understood.
>>
Nicholas Crellerped - Sun, 21 Jan 2018 08:52:39 EST ID:MxImXeEr No.69777 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show
Wizard of the Pigeons, by Robin Hobb writing as Megan Lindholm.
William Hope Hodgson's Carnacki The Ghost Finder stories.
Jack Vance's "Dying Earth" books are what Dungeons & Dragons cribbed their magic system from.
Larry Niven's The Magic Goes Away. and the novels that followed in the setting, has magic as a non-renewable resource, as an allegory for the oil crisis...
The War Of Powers series had a pretty good magic system for unapologetic low fantasy.
>>
Charlotte Dubblemork - Sun, 21 Jan 2018 21:23:05 EST ID:MiEbPJi0 No.69789 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>68773
Night Watch and it's sequels have a unique system that uses it's dual (or tri, because vampires also exist) source of power system as a mild social commentary. There are some really neat concepts about the way a season "combat magician" would employ magic. Rookies use wasteful things such as fireballs, etc. whereas someone who specializes in magic combat uses creative application of phsyics manipulation.
>>
Isabella Cuzzlechet - Sun, 28 Jan 2018 15:34:03 EST ID:Vg0OC53D No.69828 Ignore Report Quick Reply
The Bartimaeus Trilogy probably has my favorite depiction of magic in fiction.

Essentially, magic is done by summoning demons (the hard way, with pentagrams and circles and herbs and runes), and either slaving them to your will or drawing power from them/their home dimension for spells. And if you mess it up, with a broken circle or a misdrawn rune or whathaveyou, the demon is probably going to kill you.

Most of the series is told from the point of view of one of these demons, who's something like 1,500 years old and served in Ptolemaic Egypt once upon a time. It also deals with the societal effects of magic being around this way: Magicians form the nobility of England, the only way to become a magician is through a dangerous, difficult and heavily guarded educational process, so the proles have no chance of getting ahead, and technological progress seems to have taken a back seat. You don't know what year it is in the books, but neon is noted as a new invention, guns don't seem to exist and America is still a rebellious colony.

Pretty cool series.
>>
Edwin Suckledark - Tue, 06 Feb 2018 19:35:23 EST ID:4ZAy8Pkj No.69857 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>69828

that does sound cool. ill add it to my to-read list. i'll return you this one: And the Devil Will Drag You Under

crazy story about the end of the world being imminent, so a tricky demon summons two humans to go on a crazy quest to alternate dimensions to save earth from a catastrophic meteor collision (for a price of course)

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.