420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread

Now Playing on /m/tube -

HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN by Walter Pickgold - Fri, 28 Apr 2017 16:56:43 EST ID:T9oen2Pq No.449054 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1493413003503.jpg -(50782B / 49.59KB, 500x336) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 50782
So, fuck. House of the Rising sun. What a fucking song. Jesus christ.

I'm a psytrance guy for the most part, but this song is fucking insane. It fucking flows like water, up and down, up and down, up and down. It's cool and relaxed, and it's fucking emotional and intense. The way it just builds up and builds up and gradually gets more intense while still retaining its original sound is just orgasming. The way the organs fucking backs Eric Burden when he elongates his notes and the way they howl together in amazing harmony.

And that guitar and bass just keep going, up and down, up and down, up and down. The way they play them makes those notes sound so clear and beautiful, it's so good

It's so frighteningly good.

Name a song you know that you find the most similar to it. Please. PLEASE.
>>
Sömntempel - Fri, 28 Apr 2017 17:35:26 EST ID:hBAW4N/x No.449056 Ignore Report Quick Reply
This tops it any day. And it's by the same artist as the one who recorded the first version of House of the Rising Sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsfcUZBMSSg
>>
Angus Chullyforth - Sun, 30 Apr 2017 13:50:55 EST ID:vkQTEtC8 No.449071 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1493574655490.png -(102396B / 100.00KB, 766x658) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>449056
I first heard this from Dave van Ronk's Black Mountain Blues album. Since then, I've had a group of trainhopping hippies show up and play a happy (fast) version of this at this nobby coffeeshop I visit and then asked me to join them in their travels. Second time was in Skagway Alaska where a reenactor knew this by request and I tried some horrible harmony. He recommended some folk artists that I promptly forgot. Moral is pay attention.
>>
Lillian Nurringsatch - Wed, 10 May 2017 01:30:41 EST ID:e4dgET3C No.449164 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>449054
I love this song, but I recently found out that, while it's a cover, The Animals' version actually CHANGES much of the lyrics and thus the story that the song tells.

The Animals' version basically tells the story of The House of the Rising Sun as a gambling den where the singer's father gambled, drank, and drugged himself to death or whatever and that the singer is going down the same path.

But the REAL version explains that the House of the Rising Sun is actually a whore house, and the singer/protagonist is a woman. Her father was a drunk, junkie gamblin' man, and the debts he incurred thanks to his addictions forced him to sell his daughter (the singer) into sex-slavery. So she now lives in the House of the Rising Sun.

Dolly Parton did a version of the song in the 80s, with the original lyrics. It's bittersweet because while Parton preforms the song AMAZINGLY, the fucking music behind her is this atrocious, generic as fuck 80s synthpop keyboard garbage. Still worth a listen though. If only it could have been her vocals with the Animals' music behind her.
Still worth a listen, imo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdqOiCvNXBQ
>>
Oliver Pimblestun - Wed, 10 May 2017 05:30:08 EST ID:hBYStFyV No.449167 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1494408608130.jpg -(74552B / 72.80KB, 500x500) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>449054

Such a fucking cool song. I agree wih all your points on it's music. It has a sort of haunted nosalgiac feel to it, if that makes sense.

This gives me the same sort of feels. More sombre than House Rising Sun i think though -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb3iPP-tHdA

I was lisening to this one day at home and my mam came into my room almost in tears. I asked what was wrong, and she told me her mam (my granny) loved this song, and would play it over and over. She said she used to play it when i was just a baby and while holding me in her arms, she would slowly dance around the room. I was still only a baby when she died very unexpectadely. We both thought it was cool that i must of been jamming along to these old tunes when i was a baby, and still liked them now.
>>
Walter Hesslelock - Wed, 10 May 2017 07:40:47 EST ID:BPQc5DVz No.449169 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>449167
I've got the stems for this if you want them. There's a lot of bleed but the organ sound and the vocals are amazing when you get to focus on them specifically
>>
Walter Hesslelock - Wed, 10 May 2017 07:42:15 EST ID:BPQc5DVz No.449170 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Also in terms of haunting old rock songs, I'm very partial to She's Not There by The Zombies and Waterloo Sunset by The Kinks
>>
Cyril Pabberson - Thu, 11 May 2017 18:21:33 EST ID:EzEr9l9g No.449190 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I think Dax Riggs did it better, tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NijfMgejDLU
>>
Nigel Chipperhall - Sat, 13 May 2017 03:44:21 EST ID:/5nwiwOy No.449215 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Was never big on The House of the Rising Sun or The Animals.

Eric Burdon and The Animals, on the other hand (yes, there's a distinction to be made) were amazing. Personally I think this stuff was far more haunting, and pretty far ahead of its time. More experimental than The Animals were, and Burdon's vocals were really allowed to go to far more interesting places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur30bn_3G58
>>
Lydia Fevinghudge - Tue, 16 May 2017 19:05:14 EST ID:xg0cPbQH No.449253 Ignore Report Quick Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OorZcOzNcgE

This shit right here. Way more depressing though as it is in the 70's and everyone got LSD flashbacks and everyone know every war is just made just to make some buck.

But what a band and what a live performance.
>>
Lydia Fevinghudge - Tue, 16 May 2017 19:49:47 EST ID:xg0cPbQH No.449254 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Also if you want happier things: The Beatles. Shitloads of peepz hate on them though, because they were so good, but for real negro. Check it out if you haven't.
>>
Thomas Fimmershaw - Fri, 19 May 2017 00:24:14 EST ID:7xod9TgV No.449280 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Rad song. I was originally introduced to it by Muse's cover a decade or so ago before they sold out.
>>
Thomas Fimmershaw - Fri, 19 May 2017 00:27:21 EST ID:7xod9TgV No.449281 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>449280

Oh. forgot to give my suggestion from your request, OP. My pic would be "The Cowboy Song" by Faith No More. Great music accompanied by haunting lyrics. Take the elevator to the top and find yourself standing on that ledge, OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tJgiDET9-k
>>
Eliza Dammleford - Sat, 20 May 2017 23:13:41 EST ID:bgF8gQyk No.449301 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>449054
Dylan's version is also very good

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.