420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Getting into Physics ---> Quantum stuff by Beatrice Sepperhall - Thu, 21 Aug 2014 13:14:21 EST ID:t/8wjLF3 No.14296 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1408641261077.jpg -(125896B / 122.95KB, 1200x930) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 125896
Where should I start? Should I learn a bunch of calculus first? I was recommended University Physics With Modern Physics (Young & Freedman) to start with and then to move to Quantum Mechanics (Bransden & Joachain). At least to start off with.

Any other recommendations or whatever? Besides college and stuff, just on maybe the order you began learning it or w/e? thanks.
>>
Eliza Worthingdale - Thu, 21 Aug 2014 20:53:19 EST ID:MzPwSsaM No.14297 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Start by learning how to solve ordinary first order differential equations, than when you got that down move on to partial differential equations (separation of variables is a powerful enough technique to solve Schroedinger's equation for the most basic potential well, ie. the infinite square well, but you'll need more powerful techniques like the method of fubini for anything more realistic). Linear algebra is a must if you want to be able to grasp the formalities of it. I learned from Griffith's "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics", and that's a pretty good place to start, although supplementary math study will probably be necessary. If you can grasp basic probability theory (averages, variance, normalization and expectation values for functions of probabilistic quantities), solve diff eq's like a pro, and have the basics of linear algebra, than you should be well off enough to start. If not-start with those three things. In descending order of importance for understanding QM I would say 1-Probability theory 2-Ability to solve PDE's, 3-Linear algebra.
>>
Ebenezer Mushtadge - Sat, 23 Aug 2014 00:58:16 EST ID:Gw2IN3ba No.14300 Ignore Report Quick Reply
If you don't know calculus, this would be the first place to start (Spivak). Before you take QM, you'll also need to study linear algebra (we used Lay at my university). After calculus, read Physics Volumes 1 and 2 by Resnick and Halliday. A text solely for classical mechanics study would then be helpful (Goldstein), since you need to understand Hamiltonian mechanics. Then read Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths. For supplemental study, read The Feynman Lectures on Physics. You also need to know the basics of probability theory. I learned this from Probability and Statistical Inference by Hogg, but you could probably find better.

Basically, everything >>14297 mentioned is solid advice. All this is more than enough to get you started. But note that this course of study is the bare minimum to go from intro to physics to quantum mechanics and in no way spans the breadth of physics. For further physics study, look into electrodynamics, thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, optics, and general relativity. Also, for furthering your study of quantum mechanics you might want to read more advanced literature, such as Principles of Quantum Mechanics by Shankar.
>>
Barnaby Sevingdale - Mon, 25 Aug 2014 18:15:17 EST ID:0a1KmNe7 No.14312 Ignore Report Quick Reply
you can find the math courses the above guys mentioned, plus introductory QM classes on coursera.org for free. It's an epic resource, one I am only starting to utilize.
>>
Molly Blatherfield - Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:07:06 EST ID:t/8wjLF3 No.14340 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>14300

Any recommendations on which linear algebra book to use? After the calculus book?
>>
Lillian Barryshaw - Sat, 30 Aug 2014 04:01:17 EST ID:Gw2IN3ba No.14341 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>14340
So you're really serious about this, huh? Just out of curiosity, are you planning on buying all these books? Anywho, I used the third edition of Linear Algebra and Its Applications by Lay. But MIT uses Introduction to Linear Algebra by Strang, so I'd go with that. After calculus and linear algebra, you'll want to study differential equations. I used Differential Equations: An Introduction to Modern Methods and Applications by Brannan and Boyce, but Ordinary Differential Equations by Tenenbaum and Pollard seems to be a more popular choice for self-study. That's all the mathematics you really need to get started in QM. Of course the more mathematics you know, the better in physics you'll be. So studying things like probability theory (which again you need to understand the bare bones of), PDEs, and even group theory will help you better understand QM.
>>
Hamilton Docklekane - Tue, 02 Sep 2014 22:21:50 EST ID:n1HpAHmU No.14344 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>14341
I personally think the study of differential equations is more important to have down before the linear algebra when learning the basics of QM, because then you can get a feel for what Shrodinger's equation is saying, but there is much debate on the proper pedagogy for teaching it. Vibrations and Waves by French is my personal choice for learning diff eq.s and linear algebra/ their applications to physics all in one nice bundle. Also Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Boas has been a life saver for soooo many areas in physics. I still keep my copy of it from sophomore year in college on my bookshelf.
>>
Archie Worthingfield - Sun, 07 Sep 2014 18:26:47 EST ID:xvgqavvT No.14354 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Here ya go, a full list of exactly what you need to be a good theoretical physicist
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~Gadda001/goodtheorist/index.html

Many of the links don't work anymore, so substitute with MIT Open Courseware lectures on Math/Physics or whatever modern books you can find. http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-05-quantum-physics-ii-fall-2013/video-lectures/
>>
Barnaby Brellyhick - Sat, 20 May 2017 21:48:22 EST ID:EJeHrwkJ No.15507 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>14296
Write a paper suggesting a link between chemistry and physics
>>
Martin Murdman - Mon, 19 Jun 2017 22:10:21 EST ID:q/daWEW+ No.15522 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>14296
Learn calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and abstract algebra/group theory. Read Quantum Mechanics by Shankar. When they start about euler lagrange equations as a way of doing classical mechanics problems check out Give Taylor's Classical Mechanics.

If you want to go deep the Landau Lifshitz books are essential. Griffith has a good E&M book if you are only interested in learning enough E&M to do advanced quantum. Gordon Baymn's lectures on quantum are really dense, but really well summarize the most essential aspects of quantum, and teach you how to solve some really practical problems (spectroscopy/scatter/super conductivity class shit). Messiah's and Sakurai's textbooks are each good in their own ways.

take acid
>>
Jack Brookham - Sat, 26 Aug 2017 12:25:01 EST ID:wgTUzquz No.15552 Ignore Report Quick Reply
You need calc 1 and maybe calc 2 (techniques of integration) for undergrad level physics books (specifically Newtonian mechanics and Electromagnetism). I used University Physics which you mention and Fundementals of Physics by Halliday and Resnick, either will do (get an old edition for cheap) but I personally liked University Physics more.

As for QM you'll need linear algebra and differential equations, both of which you should study after calculus. I'd recommend getting an old edition of Calculus by Stewart, Spivak might be too much if you've never seen calculus or if your algebra and trig is weak. Undergrad math textbooks are generally shitty money grabs, and MIT has some of their's up for free.

For other book suggestions I'd recommend looking at a university's physics courses and their respective syllabi.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.