Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Netjester is chatting 24/7 on Twitch and channel subscribers can use his emoticon
Complex Analysis by Hamilton Dosslemene - Tue, 08 Aug 2017 21:15:47 EST ID:2Nfpe0g9 No.15547 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1502241347722.jpg -(39592B / 38.66KB, 331x499) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 39592
Can somebody explain to me why I need to take a Complex Analysis class?

I'm doing a MS Mathematics and going on to a PhD in Statistics/Probability

I don't see any fucking point in studying Complex Anal.
>>
Ebenezer Demblekere - Thu, 10 Aug 2017 15:15:33 EST ID:gFrVWF8h No.15548 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>15547

Are you sure you have to take that specific class? At my university there are distribution requirements, where you might have to take a year of some type of analysis class. Maybe you can change the MS program you are enrolled in to an applied math MS where the requirements are different. Even then, complex analysis is a branch of math that has a lot of real world uses, it's not like this is a class on Galois theory.

Here you are required to take 2 semesters of regular analysis, but not the complex.
>>
Walter Davinglock - Mon, 11 Sep 2017 09:56:07 EST ID:wdbZy6Bd No.15560 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>15548
Yeah...actually I tried not taking it and my advisor said I have to.

Tbh now that I'm in the class it ain't bad. But I wanted to take a statistical theory course and own i cant.
>>
John Gemmertut - Sat, 23 Dec 2017 07:59:50 EST ID:18TzhZsM No.15597 Ignore Report Quick Reply
complex analysis is useful for a lot of things in math. Since your ms is in math and not statistics, complex analysis is considered an essential core course, like abstract algebra or real analysis. With your PhD studies in mind, complex analysis can be useful because it gives a way to evaluate a lot of different definite integrals over the entire real line. Even for real-valued functions, we can sometimes solve otherwise impossible integrals by passing to the complex plane, taking a clever contour, and then taking the limit as the contour expands. This comes up when you are trying to find the fourier transform of certain functions, for example, or when you want to integrate certain PDFs over the entire real line. It's a useful class anon. Even if it doesn't seem like it. Lots of great statisticians were at least proficient in complex analysis.
>>
William Dranderfotch - Tue, 13 Feb 2018 20:08:22 EST ID:Y3TAINA4 No.15607 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>15547
Haha Then why are you studying math? You could say the same about most math subjects. I've had complex analysis twice already once for bachelors and once for masters. It is used throughout many other fields of math and used gratuitously by physicists.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.