420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Oh fuck. by Poor faggot - Sun, 10 Sep 2017 05:38:52 EST ID:8UKf4f6U No.15559 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1505036332760.jpg -(1849091B / 1.76MB, 3264x2448) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 1849091
Just entered college and put my major down as math.
I haven't fucking done math in years. I dropped out! I fucking dropped out because I thought fuck high school, college is where its at. Now I'm fucking here and i have no clue what I'm doing.
Tips?
Picture is a latern I stole from a meth-head while he was in jail. Its my finest decoration in my dorm.
>>
David Sobberford - Tue, 12 Sep 2017 20:54:20 EST ID:KoXeDG6b No.15561 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>TIps?

Guess what motherfucker, you just entered the best job field of all time. The good thing about math is that if you put the time into it you can understand it at any level.
Maybe you're interested in economics? If you do a math degree with a minor in Econ, you can go Ivy League for grad school.
Choosing a math degree was the smartest shit I ever did.
>>
.... - Sat, 23 Sep 2017 14:52:29 EST ID:hw7QDM7l No.15568 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1506192749426.jpg -(107796B / 105.27KB, 965x827) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
you can just change your major and if your college offers free tutoring sessions then i suggest you take it until you have a firm understanding of whatever it is your trying to learn
>>
Phyllis Bonderdock - Sat, 23 Sep 2017 21:02:36 EST ID:GW5uULCD No.15569 Ignore Report Quick Reply
sounds hard better quit
>>
James Fuckingspear - Sun, 24 Sep 2017 16:33:03 EST ID:lYjTKStM No.15570 Ignore Report Quick Reply
As somebody who dropped out of studying math after 3 months, don't sweat it.

That said high school math is very different to academic math. You won't be learning calculus or algebra, at least not at the uni.
However you learn about proofs, what you need them for different kinds of proofs and how they are done. You'll need some algebra to follow the exercises and examples, but nothing really substantial.
But you might discover that Math in it's academic form is an ivory tower and if you want to do anything but being a researcher you'd have to find your own interests to do something financially worthwhile in life, which will be if you really like math seem stale in comparison.

If you want to learn something exciting that relates to the real world get out asap.
>>
James Fuckingspear - Sun, 24 Sep 2017 16:37:19 EST ID:lYjTKStM No.15571 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Not that math isn't exciting, it's the most powerful science in existence. But you need to be pretty smart to archive something in it. (By that I mean coming up with a new conjecture or proving a theorem)
>>
Jack Soddleson - Mon, 25 Sep 2017 03:37:41 EST ID:+lsSrhgb No.15572 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>15570

An undergraduate degree in math almost always requires taking a sequence of calculus classes that lead in to proof based math. There are many people that get undergraduate degrees in mathematics that go on to work in the private sector successfully. It is inaccurate to say it's in ivory tower field, that is only accurate if you want to become a professional math researcher, which even a large portion of those with math doctorates don't pursue after their thesis.

OP if you're interested in math stick with it. There are jobs out there for people with math aptitude. You will probably have to learn how to program.

Math related jobs are high satisfaction because they generally pay decently and the process of learning various fields of mathematics can be really mentally rewarding depending on your personality.

On the other hand, if you want a more streamlined career progression that follows a pipeline you may want to choose a more professional style of program. If you study math and don't want to become the ivory tower researcher, at some point there is a transition you have to make in to doing real world things that causes even the most intelligent people to "fall off the wagon" sometimes.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.