420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Considering switching majors because I feel stupid. by Wesley Gomblefit - Fri, 01 Jun 2018 04:10:31 EST ID:8qcGgPl+ No.15665 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1527840631174.jpg -(584441B / 570.74KB, 1920x1200) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 584441
Hey there /math/. So to make a long story short, I'm retaking Trig in school and now is the second time I'm doing poorly in the subject. I studied every day for a week for the last test and got a 62% (D). While it was a fantastic blow to my self esteem, I really don't want to give up on my major (CS) and change to accounting. I'm worried if I don't nip this in the bud now I'll never get anywhere.

I know I'm learning incorrectly. I genuinely enjoy mathematics and programming, thought I feel like once I get to discrete and calculus I'm going to be fucked.

Are there any methods/books/sites you recommend to learn math in way where you understand it? Once I get a concept down it's cake, I just seem to take longer than I think is normal to understand it.

Thanks in advance.
>>
Nicholas Sinningshaw - Fri, 01 Jun 2018 05:17:43 EST ID:drSlH/C1 No.15666 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>15665

How are you studying? Any textbook for trig that you are told to get for the class should be decent. CS shouldn't require you to take more than a few calculus courses and the discrete course too. Are you struggling with the trigonometry or more fundamental stuff?

Make sure you read the section in the text before attempting problems, and the examples too. Most math classes won't have a problem on the test that isn't similar to something that was on a homework assignment, at least in the concept you used. I think the biggest mistake people make in math classes like this is just attempting the problems with what they know and could sponge from the lecture without reading the actual section in the book.

I'd suggest reading all the examples you have then attempting problems. The khan academy is a good place for videos. I watched their videos on stuff when I was learning calculus and it helped me. I wouldn't spend too much time on their exercises though, because as I said the stuff on your tests is going to be coming from your book and homeworks.

If you can't find a solution to a problem or two, write it down and take it to your instructor's office hours. The college you're in pays people just to sit their and wait for people to come in with questions like that, don't feel that you have to have a really tough problem or that you're burdening them. Most places should have a "math lab" type place where there tutors in a big room where you can bring your work and let them know if you're having trouble, they'll come over and get you pointed in the right direction most of the time.
>>
Martha Manderbury - Sun, 03 Jun 2018 12:28:56 EST ID:sR7kJ2DP No.15669 Ignore Report Quick Reply
It’s ok man. Your brain works like a muscle and sometimes you just have to give it a lot of exercises to make it a strong muscle. Then you’re good.

Read through the chapter, take notes and highlight (highlighting alone doesn’t actually do anything to help you learn but it never hurts). Follow all the examples. Review your notes and work the exercises. Don’t look at the answer until after you’ve tried it. It’s tougher but you’ll get more out of your studying that way.

I think your problem is just focus, which is not uncommon.
Also Khan Academy is great for visualing concepts and I recommend it to anyone having trouble.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.