420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Anyone here ever broken a rib? by Ian Blabbercocke - Sun, 26 Mar 2017 01:29:09 EST ID:sFzwgy4t No.54879 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1490506149891.jpg -(937085B / 915.12KB, 3174x3968) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 937085
What does it feel like afterwards?

I've had a cough for a couple weeks now about a week ago I coughed so hard I think I fractured a rib.

Anyway I don't have medical insurance so I was wondering if anyone here could help me.
What does a broken rib feel like? And how can I know if it's a fracture or just a pinched nerve or some shit?
Any tests I can do at home?

And yes I know I'm being casual about it, but I dont want that to downplay the intensity of the pain. Anytime I get up from layong down or lay down from standing, cough, sneeze, hiccup, or even lift my arm the wrong way.

Seriously, new found appreciation for people with chronic pain. You're a fucking hero if you live in agonizing pain.
>>
Cedric Suzzlepeck - Sun, 09 Apr 2017 21:02:17 EST ID:vCTHehSw No.54914 Ignore Report Quick Reply
nigga unless you are michael phelps, i dont think your diaphragm is powerful enough to cause an avulsion fracture on a rib, which is the only possible way a cough could cause anything in the ribcage to break. more likely is that you partially dislocated the rib and/or vertebra or "subluxated" it as the chiropractors like to say.

the fact that moving your arm hurts supports my guess, since muscles that move the arm and scapula anchor on the ribs and spine, so if it is out, moving the arm tugs on the misaligned spot. i would recommend just paying out of pocket for a chiropractor. some are as cheap as $20 for your first visit, or around 40-50, depending on price inflation where you live. if you can't do that, self-care would basically be applying heat to the pain spot (to reduce muscular tension), and trying exercises like thoracic foam rolling (here's some bald nigga doin some shit that looks correct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxQkVD0UQNg), and getting a therapeutic massage.

if it isn't related to the position of the bones, there is the possibility the force of the cough caused a sprain in a joint, or a strain in an intercostal muscle (i have torn an intercostal muscle before and it hurts like a motherfucker); in such a case you really just have to wait it out, try to get the area to relax, and try to get it all moving freely.

if you want to know if a bone is broken, tap on it. like you would tap on a window. if it shoots WAVES of INTENSE AGONIZING PAIN, there is a fracture. trust me dude you would know if your rib was actually broken. if you bumped it into anything you would drop to a knee and groan from the pain.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.