420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Warm Sensation in Butt/Thigh? by Hamilton Gidgefoot - Fri, 29 Sep 2017 12:37:22 EST ID:gF6N4Ylr No.55121 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1506703042103.png -(587255B / 573.49KB, 608x622) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 587255
Hey /med/, I have made a doctor's appointment to take a look at this, but the soonest availability is like 2 weeks from now. So I figured you guys might be able to help me out for the time being, as my symptoms seem to be developing further.

Basically, I have been experiencing this warm sensation in my butt cheek/thigh. It began 5 days ago and it was just a thin band of warmth running down the outside of my leg, and it would come and go for a few seconds intermittently throughout the day, like someone pouring warm water down my leg. Now, starting yesterday, it has gotten stronger and wider, it doesn't feel like a single narrow band, it's more like radiating heat across my butt cheek like I'm sitting on half of a heating pad, and it is present for more than a few seconds, and seems to be more frequent.

Googling this has led to a handful of ideas, from Sciatica, to spinal damage, to a neurological disorder. I'm not terribly concerned right now because it isn't actually painful, but the feeling of an uncontrollable heating pad on one side of my butt is starting to approach 3/10 on the "annoyed for no good reason" scale.

So, yeah, any ideas? What it might be, what could I do in the short term to relieve it?

Thanks for reading!
>>
Albert Gimblestone - Fri, 29 Sep 2017 22:45:15 EST ID:gA0Ln1Xg No.55123 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1506739515121.gif -(1858106B / 1.77MB, 300x189) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
99.9% of the time this is "sciatica" due to piriformis syndrome, i.e. the piriformis being chronically hypertonic and impinging the sciatic nerve, often due to improper gait or standing/sitting posture, which eventually leads to inflammation of the myelin sheath of the nerve, causing tingling/warm/cold/burning/numbness/weakness. do piriformis stretches, here are 3:

>the "pigeon pose" from yoga, making sure to keep your front shin perpendicular to the direction you are facing

>lie on floor on back. cross the sore leg over your good leg, shin on thigh, then reach through and pull your bottom knee up to your chest

>sit on a chair, cross one leg over, shin on thigh. keeping your chest out and chin out, lean forward at the waist until you feel a stretch in the butt area.

also you can use a foam roller (don't get the stupid gimmicky ones with bumps or grids, just get a flat cylinder), tennis ball, or lacrosse ball to massage the area, sitting on it tilted to one hip at a time.

also applying heat (my favorite is a hot water bottle) - can be electric heating pad, Thermacare patches from walgreens/walmart, microwavable pouch of beads or seeds or whatever, or even just some fist-sized stones heated up in a pot of water then wrapped in a thin cloth - to the area for 1 hr or more will help.

basically when muscles are tight, heat, pressure, and stretching will alleviate it. if after genuinely trying these things to relax the piriformis your symptoms do not change, then it could possibly be a disc or spine issue, meaning you would need to try chiro/pt and maybe ortho surgery, but this is very rare and wouldn't just appear out of nowhere in most cases

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.