420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists


Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Treating Severe Alcoholism by Terminal - Tue, 09 Jan 2018 00:25:26 EST ID:Ah5oTXzO No.55218 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1515475526768.jpg -(20293B / 19.82KB, 324x432) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 20293
Hi /med/ , I almost posted this in /drank/ as it's a busier board but I reckon here is more appropriate.

My father is an alcoholic, has been for at least 30 years if not longer, he's in his mid 50's now. He drinks first thing in the day to stop the shakes, and his physical symptoms have become worse since his retirement 6 months ago. Presumably, because he couldn't drink that much on the job and now he has more time on his hands. He's commonly anxious, irritable and forgetful, his eyes are often red and his eyesight is failing him. He doesn't eat as much as he should and is often sick afterward. His stomach is severely swollen and has been for many years. Perhaps not all of these things are due to his alcoholism but it has obviously been a massive strain on the family over the years.

My mother had given up on making him change, and my sister is apathetic. However since he has gotten worse we've collectively put more pressure on him, talked about his problem more openly, and although it didn't seem to be getting through to him at first he has now told my mother that he will finally go to the doctor and be truthful with him/her.

We live in the UK so the cost of treatment is not an issue. My question here guy's is what will the doctor recommend? Total abstinence and benzos? Treatment in the hospital so they can supervise his detox?

I realise that he must want to stop and I truly hope him going to the doctor is a sign that he does. I've basically told him I refuse to watch him kill himself and will cease contact with him if he doesn't take steps. Pretty much bluffing as all I really want is as many days with my father as possible but hopefully he is serious about this doctor visit. Sorry I know this isn't /qq/ guys.

Thanks for your help

tl;dr - what treatment will a severe alcoholic receive if he visits a doc
Hamilton Gingerdet - Thu, 11 Jan 2018 22:20:28 EST ID:Cluwbnwo No.55224 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I'm not very familiar with British healthcare but if it's anything like my experience he'll go to rehab. 28 days in a facility to detox and basically reboot his life. I liked it because there were a lot of cool and crazy people in there. The one I went to also had a psych home which was separate by a couple of doors. It was a big deal when one of the patients from the rehab side went to the psych side ("I knew that bitch was crazy," etc.).

It was nice to not have any responsibilities other than working on myself. I learned a lot in classes and counciling. I want to go back actually. (I really should.)
Shitting Foshville - Fri, 12 Jan 2018 19:34:32 EST ID:+xzzjtsO No.55226 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1515803672246.jpg -(89428B / 87.33KB, 900x986) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
He needs to go to a hospital detox. They should give him Librium 30mg 3x a day or Valium 10mg 4-6 times a day. They will give him potassium and magnesium . 12-28 day detox should be good then. When he gets clean get him to take vivitrol shot it lasts 28 days prevents wanting to drink or getting any good feels from drinking. Good luck
Terminal - Sat, 13 Jan 2018 04:56:49 EST ID:Ah5oTXzO No.55227 Ignore Report Quick Reply
The hospital detox sounds like it would be good for him.

Does anybody know if this is a treatment that will probably be suggested by the NHS?

Basically, will this be the obvious way forward to any GP Doctor?

If so we as a family will be able to offer him support through it and tell him how much we believe in him and that... no medical records are paltry to the rest of the family either btw due to UK privacy rules
Terminal - Sat, 13 Jan 2018 05:06:57 EST ID:Ah5oTXzO No.55228 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Also is there any chance he might die from the shock even with the correct medication? Even if it's pretty small it'd be best for me to know.
Terminal - Sat, 13 Jan 2018 05:11:58 EST ID:Ah5oTXzO No.55229 Ignore Report Quick Reply

You should just do it mate if you know you need it, sorry I missed your comment there on a lot of drugs due to a recent motorbike accident. Just do it, not even for yourself, do something for everyone who's ever loved you. Sorry for being soppy lol

Report Post
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.