Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
what do i do with my life by Lillian Ponkinstedging - Wed, 10 Jan 2018 23:36:48 EST ID:KawohyP7 No.55222 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1515645408914.png -(351563B / 343.32KB, 731x682) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 351563
Should I try for optometry school and become optometrist or is this a bad idea?
or maybe go for medicine?

I don't care about money or prestige or any of that stuff and I have no shadowing experience so I am weighing both options equally right now. I feel like I like the romanticized aspect of medicine but if I'm being realistic with myself I'm interested in Optometry and prefer a slower lifestyle and I can have a life completely unrelated to work.

I'm a Computer Science undergrad who's two years into his degree and quickly realizing this probably isn't for me and that I'm the kind of person who will probably only feel satisfied in health care . Been a secret desire since childhood but always figured I was too dumb. I don't have much in the way of pre-requirements. I'm not sure what I'm doing with my life. I'm posting here to see if anyone else has advice or something in the field
>>
Nell Murddock - Fri, 02 Feb 2018 23:52:42 EST ID:z8aiqwlu No.55267 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Med School:
DO/MD -> Ophthalmologist/Any of the other countless specialties

Grad Degrees:
Chiropractic
Optometry
Dentistry
Physical Therapy
Occupational Therapy (some would class this as a subset of PT)
Masters of Science in Nursing
Physician's Assistant

Bachelor's/Trade school programs:
Assistants/Techs to all of the above (CA, PTA, etc.)
Phlebotomist
Nurse
Respiratory Therapist
EMT/Paramedic
Dental Hygienist
Massage Therapist
Speech Therapist

and so on and so on. what you should first consider is: what field INTERESTS you the most? teeth? brain? exercise? piss? old people? pick what makes you say "Intradesting" then pursue that field.
>>
Wesley Backledock - Fri, 09 Feb 2018 00:51:56 EST ID:DUhS+Jbr No.55279 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>55267
You chose all professional degrees to list here. You clearly are uninformed and not working in this field. Get back to your community college classes.

OP, go to grad school and get a PhD in something crossing over between data and life sciences/medicine. The amount of job opportunities for ANY data-driven PhD is immense. If you pursue something like hard stats then you can enjoy a comfy job at Netflix or Facebook, Amazon, etc developing machine learning approaches, or you could go into industry or medicine, etc.

Don't purse a basic professional degree. "I want to be a doctor! I'm going to medical school!" Fuck off. Unless you're interested in being primary director of clinical trials, then fuck right off. PharmD? Enjoy working at Walmart for the rest of your life.
>>
Wesley Backledock - Fri, 09 Feb 2018 00:56:26 EST ID:DUhS+Jbr No.55280 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>55267
Also, private practice will be essentially non-existent outside of rural areas in the middle of nowhere, so any of the "grad degrees" you listed as a dentist or opthalmologist etc will be working in some super hospital making enough money to pay off your loans and insurance without reaping the benefits of the last generation of doctors lifestyles, just like how in China medical doctors are no different from any other job. Don't put these on a pedestal.
>>
Reuben Pickgold - Fri, 09 Feb 2018 08:27:17 EST ID:z8aiqwlu No.55281 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>55279

lol ok buddy. i think your anger is a little misplaced. also a phleb isnt a professional degree. take a few deep breaths.
>>
Wesley Backledock - Fri, 09 Feb 2018 08:42:22 EST ID:DUhS+Jbr No.55282 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>55281
Phlebotomists make $15/hour in the US though without room to grow. I don't understand why you would set yourself up for a dead end job like that
>>
Edward Fuckingson - Sat, 10 Feb 2018 17:06:23 EST ID:z8aiqwlu No.55283 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>55282

all i did was list some jobs lol why are you so antagonistic?
>>
Hamilton Mebberstune - Sat, 10 Feb 2018 19:10:43 EST ID:KawohyP7 No.55284 Ignore Report Quick Reply
why is everyone so angry?
>>
Hamilton Mebberstune - Sun, 11 Feb 2018 16:47:59 EST ID:KawohyP7 No.55285 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>55267
Isn't the process to become a physician's assistant basically the same as becoming a doctor from the perspective of an undergrad with no course pre-requisites or any medical experience
>>
Oliver Blindlestidge - Tue, 13 Feb 2018 05:23:23 EST ID:5pY0vFQs No.55286 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>55285

no, med school is harder and longer
>>
Alice Sunninghut - Fri, 16 Feb 2018 23:34:03 EST ID:KawohyP7 No.55294 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>55286
what do you mean?
for raw time investment in that position the time is equivalent
>>
George Sebberleck - Sun, 18 Feb 2018 03:04:01 EST ID:p98oIwAn No.55296 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>55222
>school
Normally I say NO FUCKING WAY!
>optometrist
Nevermind, do it. Just be sure to get the bullshit out of the way at a community college or such, so you're not wasting time in bullshit classes at an overpriced uni or such.
>>
Eugene Ceggleshit - Sun, 18 Feb 2018 09:31:42 EST ID:5pY0vFQs No.55297 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1518964302746.gif -(3881377B / 3.70MB, 640x360) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>55294

Why did you come in this thread just to be a contrarian faggot and argue with really obvious self-evident facts? Is it really so hard for you to grasp that it is harder and longer to become a Physician than a Physician's Assistant?

>To become a physician assistant, one must earn a bachelor's degree, which takes roughly four years, and complete a physician assistant training program, which takes two years.

>Medical school alone is not enough to practice medicine as a doctor. After a four year bachelor's degree, f you include residency and fellowship, you will need at least 7 years from the first day of medical school before you can practice medicine in the United States.

And not only is it 2 years vs. 7, as I stated previously, medical school is more difficult. Why don't you go post in the flat earth threads.
>>
Henry Brookbanks - Mon, 19 Feb 2018 16:34:22 EST ID:IuzjpJ/C No.55302 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1519076062552.png -(237404B / 231.84KB, 500x380) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>55222

OP I'm doing the exact same thing. I literally thought I might have gotten high and forgotten I made this thread until I got to the last paragraph.

I came to the same conclusion, this tier of job seems like the only career that allows for someone to check out and go home at the end of the day in modern America and leave the work at work, while still making just enough money to get by and have a little fun.

We should be honest with ourselves though that this will be a survivable amount of money and probably not a comfortable one. I'm fine with a life where I don't get much fancier than paying rent, going out to eat, and taking a trip every once and awhile. Live simple. For what it's worth, the BLS says that the field is expected to grow, so we'll probably have jobs even if they're menial, which is more than you can say for a lot of careers with the coming automation revolution. And sure, eventually this job too will be automated, but by the time they get there so many jobs will have been obliviated that either people will be inspired to have come up with some kind of solution, in which case we're gonna be fine, or society will collapse and you will have bigger problems to worry about.

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/opticians-dispensing.htm
>>
Phineas Naddletatch - Sat, 24 Feb 2018 19:10:36 EST ID:KawohyP7 No.55311 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>55296
an optometrist isnt an optician
its a full on Doctor school.
Four years for a bachelors ( same required courses as medical school)
and then more schooling at an optometry school (four years)
>>
Phineas Naddletatch - Sat, 24 Feb 2018 19:11:52 EST ID:KawohyP7 No.55312 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>55297
PA school requires experience and requirements as well. So no you aren't going to graduate and go right into PA school. you'd have to work for the requirements
>>
Fuck Seshbot - Thu, 15 Mar 2018 16:33:25 EST ID:L+Kuan+k No.55328 Ignore Report Quick Reply
You know that part of you saying, "I never shadowed anybody and even though i like the appearance of the job I still don't know what it's really like first-hand"? Well listen VERY CLOSELY to that voice. You'll need to prove to the applications officers as much as yourself that you're sure this is what you want.

Not saying you'll probably hate optometry after such an experience, but if you don't shadow before committing then you'll never make it through the meat-grinder that is applications time. You'll have doubts, and the machine hates doubt and lack of conviction. It uses people wishy-washy people like you (us) to oil its gears with your money and sacrificed labor.

Sorry, I'm rambling. I was an assistant to psychiatrists for many years and got a school interview but no invitation. Anyways, don't let them dupe you into thinking they're actually any smarter than the common man, let alone yourself. The American medical machine is a lot like the army; it rewards loyalty and service but rarely critical thinking.
>>
Angus Finningshit - Sun, 25 Mar 2018 20:39:14 EST ID:IuzjpJ/C No.55341 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>55328

Not OP, but thank you for writing this. I needed to read it.
>>
Caroline Dallerforth - Mon, 02 Apr 2018 12:46:12 EST ID:Rl1gAmmt No.55355 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>55222
>prefer a slower lifestyle
>life completely unrelated to work

Stay far, far away from medical school.

That being said, you can work in health care and enjoy a great lifestyle division. Optometry is pretty cush if that's your thing - Fit lenses, give eye exams, fuck bitches. You may not be able to find that sweet lifestyle you want if you go into something like nursing, EMS/paramedic, or physician assistant. You sure as fuck do not want to be a physician if you want a lifestyle separate from work.

If your gut says health care, go for it homie. Do some research and find out what the job is really like though - A lot of people quickly realize the "romanticized" aspect of medicine or health care is very different from what the job is actually like. A good chunk of people get scared and hop back into their IT or business field lmao. If you're insane like me and realize you wouldn't be doing anything else, go for it :)
>>
George Snodville - Mon, 16 Apr 2018 23:49:53 EST ID:+tG3mFif No.55376 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>55355
Why not go into the business of healthcare? Best of both worlds.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.